collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10833
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: AG2R news
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 07:01 »
I think the issues at A&S were more or less similar, he probably just had less freedom to take long mid season breaks for them to unfold completely.

Lavenu needs to keep him on a short leash if he wants him to be successful - whether he'll be able to...no idea. But Betancur potentially is the most complete rider there is - and that seems to be something Lavenu is aware of.

Carlos looked in almost his best condition for 2014 in some photos I saw from team camp, so maybe 2015 might be good,
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5468
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 09:06 »
    I thought he looked a bit rotund actually, but plenty of time to lose it.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/betancur-apuesta-por-el-giro-15-12-2014

He's pencilled in for the Giro/Vuelta and not the Tour. No mention of the Ardennes, but presumably that is another target.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 12:08 »
    I thought he looked a bit rotund actually, but plenty of time to lose it.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/betancur-apuesta-por-el-giro-15-12-2014

He's pencilled in for the Giro/Vuelta and not the Tour. No mention of the Ardennes, but presumably that is another target.

Bardet wants the Ardennes too so one might expect him to share leadership with Betancur, whose no-shows in 2014 were actually really good for Bardet and a few others on AG2R.

Would like to see more of Gougeard and Vuillermoz next season.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9557
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38 »
    Pozzovivo aims for Liege as well, after his great performance this year
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1338
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 13:20 »
    The chubbster has suggested he may miss the Ardennes. Vuillermoz must be given a chance this year for some races, surely. He was great last year.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 11:31 »
    Pozzovivo aims for Liege as well, after his great performance this year

here is the interview Gazzetta did with Pozzovivo, last month already

after starting the season in Australia he will have the plate removed he got due to his tibia fracture, and plans to return for Tirreno Adriatico. He is scheduled to do the Giro and also another grand tour, either Tour or Vuelta. He is a bit worried about the long time trial in the Giro and thinks that the Tour might be better suited to his abilities. Meanwhile he will study again, after already having graduated in economics he is now enrolled to study sport science at an online university
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6253
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: December 26, 2014, 23:15 »
    Meanwhile he will study again, after already having graduated in economics he is now enrolled to study sport science at an online university
    As if training and racing as a pro cyclist wasn't enough ... Vai Dottore! :pray
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 09:18 »
    As if training and racing as a pro cyclist wasn't enough ... Vai Dottore! :pray

Indeed. Recalls to mind the University of Lausanne study, in which an anonymous pro complained that one of the darkest moments was when there was no satellite TV in the hotel room. Studying is what Pozzo and many others probably do of an evening during stage races.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 10:56 »
    Indeed. Recalls to mind the University of Lausanne study, in which an anonymous pro complained that one of the darkest moments was when there was no satellite TV in the hotel room. Studying is what Pozzo and many others probably do of an evening during stage races.
    In Sibiu, there was a noticeable strain on the hotel wi-fi every evening. ;)
    Connecting with the family back home, checking mails, looking at cute cat pics ... and possibly some of them were studying as well.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 553
    « Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 12:11 »
    In Sibiu, there was a noticeable strain on the hotel wi-fi every evening. ;)
    Connecting with the family back home, checking mails, looking at cute cat pics ... and possibly some of them were studying as well.

eeehh?  :lol  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #42 on: December 29, 2014, 12:29 »
    eeehh?  :lol  :P
    I'm only guesstimating, I have no idea what they actually did. :P
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 14:52 »
    I'm only guesstimating, I have no idea what they actually did. :P

On some forums, this would have slid inexorably in the wrong direction. I love all you high-minded VR posters. :hug
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 17:03 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/betancur-i-havent-shown-anything-yet

His arrogance is certainly that of a winner but, for me and probably for many other fans, the majority of what followed in 2014 neutralised whatever superb results he had in early Spring. As I see it, he starts at zero this year and in that respect, I would happily agree with the statement that he has not shown anything yet.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #48 on: February 23, 2015, 14:38 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bardet-continues-steady-progress-at-vuelta-a-andalucia

I love this team because I love to stroke the underdog. Sure, the kit blows, they stopped riding Campag and they don't drink beet juice but I love them anyway.

As recently as two or three seasons ago, AG2R was a bunch of bridesmaids at least until April. The trickle of UCI points came through solid but usually unremarkable GC hangers-on Gadret and that quintessential bio-passport refugee Nocentini. Rare wins were delivered by lucky breakaways like Elmiger, Dupont and Riblon. Nicolas Roche was still just Stephen's son and Péraud was only known as a decent time triallist.

And then things changed. For me it all began the moment some kid called Bardet attacked at the sharp end of Amstel Gold but in broader terms, it was the arrival from Italy of bargain buys Pozzovivo and Betancur that seemed to transform the team. Péraud slimmed down and found his climbing legs. On the home front, Samuel Dumoulin was imported for his famous consistency in the Coupe de France and has since delivered it. Scrappy youngsters Bardet, Domont, Gougeard and Vuillermoz have given the team a new, youthful complexion.

AG2R is still probably one of the poorer siblings of the WT but I think it does deserve some respect nowadays. A fat stash of wins might be too much to hope for but with a strong show of faith from the sponsors, Lavenu's outfit is healthier than plenty of others at the top.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #49 on: February 23, 2015, 17:05 »
    It will be interesting to see how their northern classics campaign will go this year. Minard was surprisingly strong last year, probably one of the 10 strongest in both the Ronde and Paris-Roubaix, but it did not really convert into results. Chainel had solid results in the past, Turgot was 2nd in Roubaix three years ago, Gaudin 5th the year after, Mondory finished in the top 20 several times...and now they also have Vansummeren. Overall a really strong team for the cobbles, but it lacks that certain something to really fight for the big wins.

Gaudin for some reason is racing on track this week though, no idea how well he will be prepared
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1125
    « Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 17:54 »
    They seem to be undisputed top dog now in France and while competition is healthy, spreading talent too thinly isn't. Now, if AG2R have got a contender on the cobbles or in the mountains, they'll be really well supported*; and that's all you can ask of a team really.

*(note the difference between Betencur's support in last year's P-N and Thomas').
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 18:03 »
    They seem to be undisputed top dog now in France and while competition is healthy, spreading talent too thinly isn't. Now, if AG2R have got a contender on the cobbles or in the mountains, they'll be really well supported*; and that's all you can ask of a team really.

*(note the difference between Betencur's support in last year's P-N and Thomas').

Funny you say that because PN last year was another watershed moment for AG2R and one that even Sky could learn from. It was the first moment I remember seeing the Boys in Brown working effectively as a unit for Betancur rather than under the general instruction of everyone just hang on to the leaders as long as you can. Such a positive surprise.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 18:05 »

I would say the FDJ are the Top dog fwiw

and
    I love this team because I love to stroke the underdog. Sure, the kit blows, they stopped riding Campag and they don't drink beet juice but I love them anyway.

As recently as two or three seasons ago, AG2R was a bunch of bridesmaids at least until April. The trickle of UCI points came through solid but usually unremarkable GC hangers-on Gadret and that quintessential bio-passport refugee Nocentini. Rare wins were delivered by lucky breakaways like Elmiger, Dupont and Riblon. Nicolas Roche was still just Stephen's son and Péraud was only known as a decent time triallist.

And then things changed. For me it all began the moment some kid called Bardet attacked at the sharp end of Amstel Gold but in broader terms, it was the arrival from Italy of bargain buys Pozzovivo and Betancur that seemed to transform the team. Péraud slimmed down and found his climbing legs. On the home front, Samuel Dumoulin was imported for his famous consistency in the Coupe de France and has since delivered it. Scrappy youngsters Bardet, Domont, Gougeard and Vuillermoz have given the team a new, youthful complexion.

AG2R is still probably one of the poorer siblings of the WT but I think it does deserve some respect nowadays. A fat stash of wins might be too much to hope for but with a strong show of faith from the sponsors, Lavenu's outfit is healthier than plenty of others at the top.

But when did AG2R become a team I like to follow, The moment Roche left the door tbh , they became a real just get the job done team

Roche was all about the show Team Gadret was right not to give him that wheel  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 18:09 »
    yeah, FDJ has Demare, who probably is the biggest French talent for the classics, and also le Bon, Ladanous, Offredo...overall a very solid team, and also for the climbs, with Pinot, Kenny, Geniez and so on. They lack the big international riders Ag2R has, but regarding the French riders they are on a similar level at least I think.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1338
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #54 on: February 23, 2015, 18:34 »
    FDJ have only really got Demare who blows very hot or very average, and Pinot who isn't top class, and possibly Vichot.

AG2R have fatty who could be one of the very best if he didn't eat so many McDonalds, Vuillermoz who is a talent, Bardet, possibly Bakelants.

Pretty even I would say.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1125
    « Reply #55 on: February 24, 2015, 09:38 »
    Wow I seem to be completely out of step in my AG2R vs FDJ assessment. If I was charged with setting up a Francophone version of Sky, I'd be going to AG2R for the talent and FDJ for the filler.

It's not as black and white as that obviously...

Post Merge: February 24, 2015, 09:40
    I would say the FDJ are the Top dog fwiw

and
    But when did AG2R become a team I like to follow, The moment Roche left the door tbh , they became a real just get the job done team

Roche was all about the show Team Gadret was right not to give him that wheel  :lol
    For me it was the year after when Team Gadret left.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #56 on: February 24, 2015, 09:51 »
    Wow I seem to be completely out of step in my AG2R vs FDJ assessment. If I was charged with setting up a Francophone version of Sky, I'd be going to AG2R for the talent and FDJ for the filler.

It's not as black and white as that obviously...

Post Merge: February 24, 2015, 09:40
    For me it was the year after when Team Gadret left.

I agree with you, Cap. Lavenu and Jurdie might not be plugged into Nark Madiot's nu-generation cybourg ;) factory but I fancy them for modernising a bit and buying in better foreign talent.

Meanwhile the term 'Team Gadret' speaks volumes about how far have they come. Cycling's Only Goth should never have left, it killed his career.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #57 on: February 24, 2015, 14:57 »
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #58 on: February 24, 2015, 17:19 »
    the walnut is on the final year on his contract with Ag2R, but he hopes to be able to continue another 2 years before retiring, age 40 then, after 20 years as a pro cyclist. He aims for good results in the first half of the season, and will also do the Giro to support Betancur

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/18-01-2015/tour-san-luis-rinaldo-nocentini-ag2r-carlos-betancur-giro-italia-100529453937.shtml
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 12:01 »
  • ReplyReply

•