collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1193
The Jasper Stuyven Evolution Thread
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:07 »
Thread dedicated to the former Junior World Champion and Paris-Roubaix winner.

At age 21 (he'll be 22 the day after tomorrow) Jasper distinguish himself by being the best helper for Cancellara when the group of favourite had formed behind Boonen.

He eventually finished 55th.

Jasper Stuyven at the 2011 Tour of Namur (pics from yours truly). I knew he was the one to follow very closely but I don't have a lot of credit, he was already described as the new Tom Boonen back then.  :cool

The sprint from the last stage on the top of the Citadelle. Tim Declercq wins it ahead of the two multitalented Ovyta riders: Sean De Bie and Jasper Stuyven  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 22:03 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Re: The Jasper Stuyven Evolution Thread
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 19:40 »
    Two weeks ago Jasper trained with a certain Gianni Meersman in Calpe. Result of which both are 1st and 3rd, today at the Tour of Wallonia. Jasper was already very strong yesterday. :cool

EDIT: fed up with these tweets, it never works.  :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 20:15 by froome19 »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 18:22 »
    Him and Diller I look forward to fanboying for many years to come
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:59 »
    So Jasper seems to meet expectations more than Dillier does at the moment.  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 11:46 »

As a consequence of the late date Jasper Stuyven needs to improvise in the approach: Via climatic chamber and kermesses to the Worlds

Gazet van Antwerpen (4 October)

It used to be simple. You would race the Tour of Spain and the good form came by itself. Now it’s more complicated with a Worlds in Qatar which because of the heat, should only be held on 16 October. After the Tour of the Low Countries, everybody was a bit puzzled. Greg Van Avermaet should first race Binche-Chimay-Binche and not the Tour of Lombardy. Then it was reversed and eventually he chose to race both.

The smaller races of the Napoleon Games Cup were a handy vehicle in order to further build up form. 6 Belgian riders raced the Eurométropole Tour and even 7 of them raced in Binche.

Only Jasper Stuyven and Jens Keukeleire missed them because Trek and Orica did not start it. Mostly for Stuyven that’s annoying because he hasn’t raced the Tour of Spain and so he still needs competition. Besides Trek wasn’t present in Paris-Tours either while Orica and Keukeleire were.

There was nothing left for Stuyven to do than to fill in his preparation with kermesses
    Yeah, it’s a real search. I race this week in Zele (5 october, ed) and Zwevezele (7 October, ed). These are indeed kermesses but in the build-up to the Worlds I don’t see it as a problem. I’ve heard that the circuit in Doha wasn’t any different from the turning routes of kermesses

Along with Victor Campenaerts Stuyven also wants to anticipate the heat with four sessions in the climate chamber.

In the Bakala Academy we are going to emulate the Doha conditions. That’s demanding a lot to your body but I like that. I’m motivated for Qatar. I can figure out that my teammate Rast (Switerland, ed) and Beppu (Japan, ed) are wondering what they will have to do there but with Belgium we certainly have a good chance to get something, certainly if there is wind.

National coach Kevin De Weert sees … (I don’t understand the word) in the Stuyven build-up

Didn’t Van Avermaet compare the Worlds route in February with that of a kermess? Maybe Jasper’s preparation is ideal (laughing)

For the record Jasper Stuyven was 7th in Zwevezele:

1 Timothy Dupont
    2 Michael Van Stayen
    3 Timothy Stevens :)
    4 Jelle Mannaerts
    5 Emiel Vermeulen
    6 *nl Peter Schulting
    7 Jasper Stuyven
    http://uitslagen.dewielerbond.be/Kalender_Uitslagen/Uitslag.aspx?id=1360&datum=07/10/2016

and 14th in Zele:

1 *ru Kirill Pozdnyakov
    2 Timothy Stevens :)
    3 Fabio Sinoy
    4 Michael Van Stayen
    5 *nl Brian Van Goethem
    6 Nicolas Vereecken
    7 Jérôme Baugnies

14 Jasper Stuyven
    http://uitslagen.dewielerbond.be/Kalender_Uitslagen/Uitslag.aspx?id=1359&datum=05/10/2016
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 720
    • Getting ready for the Artic Race of Norway...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 08:45 »
    The lad is a beast. his K-B-K win was wonderfully taken and he still had enough in his tank to support his team-mates in some of the other Northern Classics.

Nothing is certain in sport but this lad looks a nailed on Roubaix winner for me.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 16:49 »
    Het Laatste Nieuws publishes a « Wielerkrant » (« Cycling Newspaper ») every Wednesday.

Last Wednesday – 22 February – they announced it on their front page. So Jasper hit the front page, together with teammate Edward Theuns, as there was a cross interview of them, in preview of Jasper’s defence of his Kuurne victory.

Theuns:
    From the youth on Jasper has already been prominently present. If you look at the great classics he’s a notch higher than I am. He can cycle very fast, is explosive and has stamina for long races. Those features are needed for Flemish races.

Stuyven:
    Beautifully worded, Edward. You are still a bit more explosive than I am but still don’t have stamina for the big races. But you are really fast. If you can place yourself in the finale that you are better than I am. I can position myself but with wasting more energy. Edward would do it more economically and faster.

Theuns:
    Jasper peaked for the opening weekend last year. This year a bit less. For me the opening weekend is important. If Jasper is in top form he’s got chances. It’ll be 50/50.

Stuyven:
    The Omloop is still an objective for me. It’s hard to say if I rate it higher than Kuurne. I won that race last year. I have special affinities with it. I rate it as high as the Omloop.

Theuns:
    It also depends on the weather. In my opinion it may be cold but dry. And if it’s wet than rather not cold. If it’s 2°C and rainy it’s hard to protect yourself against, then you quickly get too cold.

Stuyven:
    In my mindset I decided I shouldn’t care about the weather but … I’m not saying I find it pleasant to race with 2°C and rain (laughing)

Stuyven:
    Nobody [is Cancellara’s successor]. Edward is Edward and I’m Jasper. We both want to make our own palmares. Without comparing: “Gooh, am I closer to Cancellara or Boonen?” Anyone wants to get his own goals as close as possible. If it’s far from what Fabian achieved and I am glad with it myself: okay. If I get the same: very nice. And even more? (laughing) Never say never!

Theuns:
    Fabian was a super strong rider. You shouldn’t be looking for a “successor of” or so. Now that he’s gone, it’s time for new guys. The team will simply come strong in spring. Last year we had a great leader who was the leader without discussion. This year we may be on the whole better as a team.

Stuyven:
    I really don’t know any rider who claims: “I am the successor of…”. That really is a media thing. John Degenkolb also has his palmares.

Theuns:
    Neither of us speak German but John gets along very well with anybody. He’s very open and both of us are guys who stand open for anyone and are ‘in’ for naivety. John (28) is closer to us with regards to age. That’s how it comes more easily.

Stuyven:
    I see a good team sphere. Not only with John but also with Contador. It was fun to see a new wind blowing through the team. It might strike Edward a bit less because he’s only been in the team for one year.

The rest in short:

Theuns wants to see his “dreams” realistically. He would already love winning a good semi classic such as the Omloop while he claims Jasper being more talented can have higher hopes winning a major race. He already was twice in the top3 of Dwars door België Vlaanderen and it’s his ambition to win such a race which fits him very well.

Stuyven dreams to win a “monument” more than once and if he has to choose … then Paris-Roubaix is the highest in his book. ;)

Theuns follows the Belgian football championship and supports AA Ghent, he’s from Ghent but he doesn’t know who they are playing against every weekend. He used to play football while Jasper did not but at school of course. He knows what is going on in football though because in the “gazettes” you need to turn all the football pages if you want to read about other sports.

My own comment is that on the whole what Jasper is saying is true. Football is still the number one sport in the written press, even in the Dutch-speaking part and way ahead of cycling in the French-speaking part. Yet when there are major events like the major classics, World Championships (road or cyclocross) and the Tour of France, or when a Belgian rider does a great performance on a rather great race, cycling might come first but sadly that is occasional. I think I showed it several times to you last year. ;)

Theuns was fed up studying kinesitherapy and gave it up. He only has a bachelor degree. Now he’s giving it all for the race.

Stuyven finds i tan interesting challenge to keep on studying communication. Last January he had a Spanish exam which was very interesting and can be useful for the racing. Everything about sales and marketing interests him. He’s got a chocolate business (what? At age 25?).

Theuns believes that it’s hard to be a rider’s girlfriend. Cyclists are a bit egoistic. You need to think about yourself and about the sport but cycling also has advantages like being regularly at home. Stuyven agrees it’s important to have someone who understands what it is to be an ambitious cyclist and to work for your goals. 
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 21:50 »
    Stuyven 3rd : « I’m Getting Tired of That ‘Just Not’ »

(Still Het Laatste Nieuws – 26 June 2017)

While Oliver Naesen and Sep Vanmarcke were still on the Sporza TV set, Jasper Stuyven rooted himself down on a chair in the press hall, carefully listening to what the new champion had to say, inbetween sometimes with a deep sigh and a retained swear word.
    Damn, it does not want to work. ‘Oli’ not being one of the fastest in a sprint? I think he’s really fast but normally I cannot lose to him. Yet it happened. Just like it happened at the Tour of Italy in which I lost to Silvan Dillier. I’m getting annoyed at this “just not”

The Trek rider does believe in a good outcome.
    Last Wednesday in Halle-Ingooigem [I won’t get used to this new name, it’s called Brussels-Ingooigem, normally] I was not great but still I shook a firm leadout in the last straight line for Edward Theuns. So I had confidence for the sprint but it didn’t prevail. First Sep Vanmarcke attacked while I just intended to do the same. Then I had to break my effort a little bit but I may not and do not want to hide behind this excuse.

Jasper Stuyven gives credit to Oliver Naesen for the title.
    Of course everybody does that but I would not say he stands out head and shoulders above the rest. He raced “Olli’s style”, always is giving gas but it’s not that I was not exhausted when he came in the lead you know.[1]
     1. Jasper is using a typically Dutch speaking cycling idiom here “met zijn tong tussen zijn kader hangen” “being with the tongue in between the frame”

This week Jasper Stuyven is going on an altitude training and resumes late July with competition at the “Prudential Ride London”. Then among others the Binck Bank Tour follows, a few single-day races and the Tour of Denmark (12-16 September).
    As build-up for the Worlds, I hope

-------------------

While I'm here a few more pics from the 2011 Tour of Namur where I first saw Jasper in real life, before he became a legend!  ;)

• ReplyReply

•