collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10232
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
The future of Track Cycling
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:45 »
Not my area, but this just seems such a wrong move

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/456316807536586752

do the ind Pursuit would die as it is not an Olympic event at the moment  :(
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    Re: The future of Track Cycling
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 22:03 »
    Well Mellow has talked about it a lot, and what would happen if they maintain status quo?
    This sounds like the lesser of two evils, but I am not sure the extent of the problems and to be honest it is the UCI who will be most aware as to what is going on and who is interested in hosting events etc.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10232
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:28 »
    Press from the UCI

The qualification systems are based on those used with success at the London 2012 Olympic Games. A total of 528 athletes [325 men and 203 women] will compete in 18 events at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.  However, there are a number of changes compared with London 2012 qualification:

- One quota place has been transferred from the Men’s Road to the Men’s Track to balance the quota following the change from three to four athletes in the Women’s Team Pursuit.

- Permit two athletes from each nation to compete in the Men’s and Women’s individual Sprint and Keirin. Previously the national quota was one per event.

- Quota places have been allocated to the host country for Road, Mountain Bike and, as in 2012, BMX.

- For Road, quota places through the Africa Tour circuit increase from five for the London 2012 Games to nine for Rio 2016.

- For BMX, three more nations will be able to participate in the 2016 Olympic Games compared with 2012. Furthermore, there are now three different ways of qualifying instead of two. Finally, the minimum age of participation has been lowered to 18.

Brian Cookson, President of the UCI said:

“After a detailed process of review with the IOC and the Association of National Olympic Committees [ANOC], I am delighted that the cycling qualification systems for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games have now been approved. I am particularly pleased that we can look forward to more nations competing in BMX and that extra quota places have been made available through the Africa Tour circuit for Road and that we will see more of the world’s very best riders compete in the individual sprint and keirin.

“With Brazil being granted quota places for Road, Mountain Biking and BMX the 2016 Games provide a genuine opportunity to build on the already significant progress the sport has witnessed there in recent years. Today’s confirmation of qualification systems really does signal the count-down for riders aspiring to compete in the Rio Olympic Games.”

Please find here the Rio 2016 qualification systems for Road, Track, BMX and MTB.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1379
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:35 »
    Mmmm, two athletes per event.
    Put right, as it should be, but makes the London selection process an even more bitter pill swallowed.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 14:49 »
    Finally came to their sense.. took a while though.
    I wonder what this will mean for GB's chances in the sprint events, where they are currently battling against the tide of the French and the Germans?
  • ReplyReply

•