collapse

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1396
Sean Yates - Its all about the bike
« on: September 12, 2013, 19:21 »

This book is going to be controversial.

It is basically the same as Yates' winning salute - a "V for Peace" for people looking from the front and a "V for f**k off" for people looking backward.

It is a unrepentant run through his life from:
- outdoor childhood pranks in the forests of East Sussex
- amateur days including selection over Tony Doyle for the IP in Moscow 1980
- early amateur and pro days in France with all the usual stuff of lack of coaches, poor diet etc
- chaos at FAGOR, but some nice victories
- finally finding a joyous home at 7-Eleven/Motorola much gushing of good will to Ochowitz and Lance
- a very odd chapter from his ex-wife basically saying how impossible Yates is to live with.
- early shambolic DS days with Linda McCarthy and iTeamNova
- getting to be a pro DS with CSC
- loving time at Discovery / Astana with nothing but glowing praise for Bruyneel. Makes light of Contador / Armstrong spat, but loved working with the both of them.
- another odd chapter about his heart issues and how Max Testa and Pedro Celaya acted as his doctor and he was the worst patient ever. Still going out on huge bike rides.
- over worked and over paid at Sky, but real anger at how he retired. His ex-wife was also angry in her section. Lots of criticism for setup and expectations in 2010/11
- finished off with description of great time in 2012 in TdF and Olympics. Emphasis on Brad only really knew what it took both mentally and physically in 2011/12. Portrays Froome as a "trouble magnet". Loves roles of Eddie Boassen-Hagen , Christian Knees, Mick Rogers and Bernie Eisel

Overall it is written in quite a weird style with lots of passages including interviews with Dag Otto Lauritzen, John Herety, Sean Kelly, Allain Piper, Brian Smith and Johan Bruyneel.

Yates states early on not a book about doping. Then later says it is unfair that Lance is copping all the flack for the EPO/Blood Bag era with it reiterated by Bruyneel in his interview section. Then when he was DS was Salvodelli in 2007 Giro win calling out Ricco and Sella for being "not normal"

Overall, a very strangely structured autobiography. Yates has no regrets and some stones won't be unturned.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 18:26 by Dim »

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 322
    Re: Sean Yates - Its all about the bike
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 21:12 »
    FFS... I could give some MEAT to the bones that Yates craps on about... honestly!  :shh 

Just make sure you lot back me up when I put poison-pen to paper...  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6650
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 22:07 »
    FFS... I could give some MEAT to the bones that Yates craps on about... honestly!  :shh 

Just make sure you lot back me up when I put poison-pen to paper...  ;)

Ah, you missed that discussion from earlier in the week about who was going to do your biog. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1449
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:29 »
    Ah, you missed that discussion from earlier in the week about who was going to do your biog. ;)

Done already:   http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2012/09/27/colin-sturgess-interview-part-one/  :D

By the way, I forgot to tell you that a couple of days after I ordered Gölz's book at the Dutch-speaking bookshop of Brussels, they told me it was sold out, while they said the opposite the day I ordered it.  :( ...and I don't have the means to puchase on the net ...
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)