Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3365
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Albergotti/O'Connell - Wheelmen
« on: October 10, 2013, 13:49 »
Just started reading Reed Albergoti and Vanessa O'Connells new book "Wheelmen"

Now first a small confession, i did have a very minor part in this as they have used my business links chart as the inspiration for their own chart which is in the inside cover of the book.

There is a preview of the sections of the book here> Link But honestly it doesnt do it justice. The preview paints a picture that its all about Lance, when in fact its about much more.

Early in the book we are introduced to Eddy Borysewicz, the former Polish team manager who moved to the US and worked with the US olympic team and introduced them to doping, his work with the young Greg Lemond. We are introduced to Jim Crawford, Ochowicz, and Thom Weisel. it looks at Mark Gorski, the staff behind the doping, and then men behind the money.

Will do a full review when ive finished reading it.

Interesting snippet number 1: Sheryl Crow testified to the feds that she saw Lance recieve a transfusion in 2005
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 18:36 by Dim »

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    Re: Albertgotti/O'Connell - Wheelmen
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 13:58 »

I have ordered it, but looks like you have a pre-release version. Nice to see you rewarded for some of your graphics.

I am interested what else it adds to the story, especially the charity angle.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 14:03 »
    Hope you got a name-check in the thanks section dim!
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 15:51 »

Ok, some thoughts after scan reading it cover to cover (yes, i really can read that quick).
    In some ways its not as hard hitting as I hoped, Weisel isnt really involved too much, for those that have followed everything very closely there will just be snippets of interest and new information.

I guess theres three kinds of fan, the armchair fan who doesnt really follow closely, the average fan who follows closely and knows many of the stories, and the real enthusiast who knows the ins and outs of everything from the structure of US cycling to all the doping allegations and the USADA investigation. To the latter group there may not be much knew, to the first group, all the names and history might at first be daunting, to the middle group I think it will be excellent.

Its really difficult for me to judge, mainly because I am one of those who does know all the ins and outs, i have read loads of stuff on Eddie B and the 84 olympic team, I know about 7-Eleven, I know about all of Armstrongs business interests so on just content im probably the wrong person to ask.

What I can say, is that it is excellently written, and a really full and in depth presentation of all the events, from the early eighties, through to the present day. As such, if the only two books you own are "The Secret Race" and "Wheelmen" you will probably have all you ever need to know.

Keith, there isnt much on Livestrong. I think since LS distanced themselves from Lance there may be a certain amount of leaway being given to them. There are some bits, like LS seemingly being under instruction to slate Lemond and it being LS policy to do so. But generally LS avoid a lot of the fire.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 16:12 by Dim »

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 21:23 »
    What is amusing me is there are various photos in the book, of lance etc. But there is one photo of a bunch of epo ampules in a fridge.

The photo credit.... Jo Papp. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 16:25 »
    And now the cats out of the bag...

Otto did an incredible job re-imagining my original chart and somehow fitting 24" by 18" into a book cover.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 17:15 »

Otto did an incredible job re-imagining my original chart and somehow fitting 24" by 18" into a book cover.

Love this! so great to see you get some deserving recognition dim  :) :cool
    can't wait to read this
     :niceday :Party:
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 17:29 »

I've ordered the Kindle version, bet it looks rubbish there ;-(
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 19:21 »
    Managed to read Wheelmen today and not too impressed.

I think the problem I have is everything seems so average:
    - an average account of the goings on in USA cycling;
    - an average account of Armstrong's crumbling financial empire;
    - an average account of Armstrong's moral and social woes;
    - an average account of the various legal suits.

I really expected some more investigation and revelations.

But as Dim says, I am probably not the intended audience.
    It was nice to see Dim get a credit.

The only thing that really pr*cked my interest was the SCA lawyers put Lance's net worth (excluding property) at $10-15m. This compares to what Bruyneel said to Cyclingnews the other day at $60m and the widely quoted $100m. If this true with the lawyer run rate at over $100k/month and loads of suits still to settle Lance is going to get wiped out - which is what SCA want.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 20:57 »
    The only thing that really pr*cked my interest was the SCA lawyers put Lance's net worth (excluding property) at $10-15m.

Yeh, I had to re-read that a few times. It would make sense though, property is safe under Texas law, already sold his plane, house outside the US in the Carib should be safe. cash in the bank. Lot of Legal fees.

Might have to get a job :D
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 09:26 »
    Yeh, I had to re-read that a few times. It would make sense though, property is safe under Texas law, already sold his plane, house outside the US in the Carib should be safe. cash in the bank. Lot of Legal fees.

Might have to get a job :D
    The book also mentioned LA divorce settlement at $15m - so I doubt LA has been hiding assets with his ex-wife.

I am starting to wonder if:
    - LA has been placing assets outside of USA jurisdiction? or;
    - his lifestyle is extremely expensive? or;
    - he has made some really poor investment decisions over the years?

Perhaps the top investing tips dried up from Weisel. And the book makes clear Tiger Williams is pretty annoyed with him.

LA doesn't seem to be someone who would publicise or reflect on any poor decisions made over the years
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 13:52 »
    Youve got to wonder how much the private jet, multiple apparentments, posh hotels and all those livestrong donations would cost over the years. The thing is, Armstrong never thought about contingency, he always assumed that he would have pretty much life long sponsorship from the likes of Nike.

All he has to do is run a few triathlons a year, and the money keeps on rolling in. How much did his own pigheadedness cost him. The lawyers fees for the failed texas court case and everything else. If he had just co-operated to start with not only would he have saved himself millions, but he could even be back racing in a year or two and maybe hung on to some of his sponsorship.

Only got himself to blame.
  • ReplyReply

•