collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 893
Re: How to grow the forum
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 21:45 »
I get that in firefox but not in chrome or opera. looks like a firefox issue :hb :pc

. . .

So we have created a niche for ourselves. its how to develop that.

FF - hehe. You know, this is why joomla and wordpress and the template sites are such a big deal, right? Because the template AUTHOR has to deal with all the multi-rendering issue. The template author and the website engine.

How to develop that - ok! Your show! But the same concept still holds true - being connected and linked means people see your link and click through. Assuming you've got something interesting.

One of the reasons you have a stable core is because it is not "normal" for someone with a mild interest (like most CN forum members) to have a reason to click through to here for a discussion.

If you can BECOME a niche - like say with the live race chat - and become a big enough DESTINATION - enough so that Steve over at steephill lists you - THEN - yeah the niche will work and grow. Otherwise, it works, but for, as you pointed out, a small crowd.

"Destination" is an important concept here. Back when I had my own restaurant business, I discovered that there are two types of eateries - convenience, and destination. Convenience = the ones where somebody stops by because you are convenient, and the preferred choice within a given level of convenience. A destination is when people will drive to find you. Starbucks manages to be both. McD's, KFC, most fast food like that are convenience. But you should get the idea. The same marketing concept holds true in other business lines. Online stuff has similarities. BSNYC and InRng are destinations. CN is closer to convenience.

You want to be a destination, fine - but you also need more participation, which means you need higher levels of attention than Cap'n Tumbler gets. He doesn't really care about participation, you know?

Anyway, maybe there is a thot in there that will feed another thot - and maybe an answer will grow!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #91 on: June 28, 2014, 21:58 »
    I'm looking at the Live chat link today.

I reinforce my previous opinion - Live Chat link on the front page should be smaller and more limited. AND it should link to a full nav page - just like you see when you click forum. Matter o fact, including sub headings like the forum - one for each live chat "area". There you can make the LC graphix bigger and more dominating and attention grabbing.

I think that would make it easier to use, and cleaner.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #92 on: June 29, 2014, 15:14 »
    I'm looking at the Live chat link today.

I reinforce my previous opinion - Live Chat link on the front page should be smaller and more limited. AND it should link to a full nav page - just like you see when you click forum. Matter o fact, including sub headings like the forum - one for each live chat "area". There you can make the LC graphix bigger and more dominating and attention grabbing.

I think that would make it easier to use, and cleaner.

the reason the livechat is either a graphic on the front page, (which is very small, im not sure what you mean by smaller), and buttons on the forum is the staff can edit those as i have set up access to small files.

to edit the menu means editing the raw php for the site, which the start dont have access to, and to be honest, unless they are confortable with php its probably best they dont be editing the main template files :D

So its done as it is mainly so that
    :* staff dont have to wade through a 1500 line php file (which they wouldnt want to do , and i wouldnt want them doing, one ; out of place and the site goes awol)
    :* theres also issues with mouseover menus on tablets, mobile etc.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #93 on: June 29, 2014, 16:15 »
    Got it with the php file - and understood. So as a menu item is out.

But I don't think I've communicated the other possibility well enough. I would suggest removing the LC graphics from the front page. Leave the title. Just "Live Race Chats". Then create a new nav page - one where each live chat "area" has clear and large representation. Kinda like the forum home page - with the section size of font for each live chat area. And on that page - use those lovely graphics. You could also drop some Live Chat teasers in the front page slide show.

My thinking is this would help clean up the business of the home page - giving end-users heightened visual focus. It would also make it easier to navigate to the individual live chats.

I know tastes vary - so this is just a suggestion - my thinking.

Maybe to use more space on a LC nav page, you could convert historic LC to text files and list each (LC TdF 2012, 2013, etc). Then we would have somewhere to link to for use in the forums convos. But this is a 2nd idea.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #94 on: June 29, 2014, 16:24 »
    Yeh, saving historic convo's has been a question since teh very beginning. weve still not come up with a sensible solution :D
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #95 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00 »
    Podcast should be introduced.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 774
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #96 on: August 05, 2014, 13:34 »
    Smaller is often better, there should be no rush to exponentially increase the number of posters.

Is there a problem with the site being the size it is?

I do read and post on road.cc and BikeRadar and sometimes I feel that if I am away for more than 2 minutes I have no chance of catching up on the posts.

I like this place how it is to be honest.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...