collapse

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1902
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Velo-Creations: Original Music Content
« on: April 13, 2012, 23:02 »
I've no idea if this warrants it's own thread but I really couldn't find the appropriate location to post some of my work now that I've had a few requests to do so.

(And on principal alone, I really can't post my stuff along side a few of the videos I've seen in some of the other threads. In the interest of keeping the peace though, I won't name any names or bands :P)

So, does anyone else have any original music to share? I think I'll have to make a few posts here (because I believe the forum only allows one Youtube link per post.) I've actually played on quite a variety of things over the years, and just recently posted a couple of compilation videos to highlight some of that work. Hopefully I'll have a couple more up in the coming weeks.

But to start, here's one tune that I played drums and percussion on (not credited in the video though). I was pretty happy with the musical results.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    Re: Velo-Creations: Original Music Content
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 23:12 »
    Here are some excerpts from a politically driven, Progressive-Rock, World-Fusion band that I was a part of in the late '90s.
    Admittedly, this music is not for everyone, but I'm extremely proud of the work we did. My favorite drumming parts occur @6:20  ;)

Among other things, we were blending samples of field recordings from Afghanistan, the Muslim call to prayer, and other sources from around the world...and then 9/11 happened. Suddenly we were considered the soundtrack for "terrorists" and not one record label would touch us. It made for a few akward live performances in the immediate aftermath as well.  :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 23:17 »
    This is a compilation of some of the more "conventional" music that I was a part of a few years later. It's a mix of jazz/fusion, blues and funk.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 23:35 »
    This is just me showing off.   ;D

I'm hoping to post much more live content up from this band eventually. This was from the mid-1990's. What a phenomenally great time we had back then!

Sadly, my rhythm buddy on bass, Drew Glackin, passed away a few years ago. Aw hell, now I'm tearing up as I post this from a coffee shop...

In doing so, it also brings Craig(1985) Walsh to mind. I probably wouldn't have ever shared this stuff on here (and so much of my true identity) but Craig's tragic and untimely death really rattled me quite a bit. It made me think that if I should ever be the victim of any such circumstances, I would want some of the people who I've spent a lot of time sharing one of my passions with to at least know who I am. At the moment, I actually feel as much inspiration as sadness.

RIP Drew
    RIP Craig

-Geoffrey Brown
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 00:51 by Drummer Boy »

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43 »
    Great stuff DB also very moving the last post.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:20 »
    yes DB....nice post
    Craig's death still gets me....when I see a post he made knowing his little green light won't ever come on again it tears me up....we didn't physically know him but we really were touched by him

...and sorry about your friend Drew

I am familiar with this vid  :) quite good stuff

• ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 00:08 »
    Very nice, thank you mr. drummer
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11 »
    Thanks everyone. And thanks for prompting me to post this stuff in the first place. It feels right.

More to come in the future... :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51 »
    DB rocks again! If I was going to learn something musical it would be the drums. I never got past scales on the recorder.  :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23 »
    Very nice. I am genuinely in awe of anyone with musical talent as (like L'arriviste it appears) it seemed to pass me by.

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 14:46 »
    Very nice. I am genuinely in awe of anyone with musical talent as (like L'arriviste it appears) it seemed to pass me by.

Yes, you're spot in, DinZ. Often when I hear live music being played, I get a silly smile that I just cannot wipe off my face.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 22:07 »
    Here's one of our tunes that was posted in its entirety. I always wanted to use this song as a soundtrack to a cycling video. Maybe a Vino highlights reel or Cancellara on the cobbles. Any suggestions?

• ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 475
    « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 13:50 »
    Here's one of our tunes that was posted in its entirety. I always wanted to use this song as a soundtrack to a cycling video. Maybe a Vino highlights reel or Cancellara on the cobbles. Any suggestions?

Canc on cobbles. The drums at the begining will match him dropping boonen in RVV 2010.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 23:12 »
    I'm quite excited about this one. It represents the perfect marriage between my two passions.

Some music that I submitted for a documentary connected to cycling was well received at Cannes, I've just been told.
    Here is the fifteen minute trailer. It opens with some of my music.  :D
    (I don't think the embed for vimeo is working so just follow the link)

TAKE A SEAT EGYPT on Vimeo

Full-length, multi-part series is to appear on television in the near future. There is a good chance that more music that I was a part of will be included.

I'm a big fan of director Dominic Gill. He does some amazing work, and I'm both honored and proud to be connected to one of his films.  8)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 13:01 by L'arriviste, Reason: Just trying to get the embed to work, but without any luck! »

The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 01:56 »
    I'm quite excited about this one. It represents the perfect marriage between my two passions.

Some music that I submitted for a documentary connected to cycling was well received at Cannes, I've just been told.
    Here is the fifteen minute trailer. It opens with some of my music.  :D
    (I don't think the embed for vimeo is working so just follow the link)

TAKE A SEAT EGYPT on Vimeo

Full-length, multi-part series is to appear on television in the near future. There is a good chance that more music that I was a part of will be included.

I'm a big fan of director Dominic Gill. He does some amazing work, and I'm both honored and proud to be connected to one of his films.  8)

Cant see the video. Tried on my computer and phone but just says "sorry error encountered while loading video, vimeo"
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 03:23 »

Cant see the video. Tried on my computer and phone but just says "sorry error encountered while loading video, vimeo"
    It should work if you click on the words below the video, where it says, "Take a seat Egypt"
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 04:30 »
    The vimeo embeds never seem to work i have tried a few

what a fantastic looking film. the music in general is fantastic would love to know what other bits are yours as well. not you make the whole piece or are you just part of it?

definitely would like to see the whole film. the wife works in Documentaries right now so will get her to dig it out for me
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 20:19 »
    what a fantastic looking film. the music in general is fantastic would love to know what other bits are yours as well.

Just the music in the beginning. If you see the credits at the end of the film, Leland Burr was the name of our group.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 19:26 »
    Although I'm only barely visible towards the very end of the video (behind the drums @5:30), this is another project that I've been involved with for a few years.

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 23:20 »
    Another trip through the Time Machine; another tribute a fallen friend.

From the description:
    These are excerpts from one of my solo percussion performances, a series of which were entitled Ninja Rhythms. For this event I was invited by artist, photographer, musician and friend, Christopher Cameron, to perform as part of his exhibit that was on display in the gallery at Artspace Hartford, CT in 2000.

Christopher Cameron passed away in 2011, at the age of 44, ultimately succumbing to the tragedy of brain cancer. He spent the last few years of his life closely associated with the Karma Triyana Dharmachakra (KTD) Buddhist Monastery in upstate New York as care taker of the shrine, and later in an administrative capacity.

I've included images of the Monastery as well as still shots of some of Christopher's art work. His smile and enduring creative force is, and will continue to be, missed by many.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 21:22 »
    OK, I have a  new one to add.  :cheesy I posted this in the shoutbox yesterday. It's the latest product promo video that I've been involved with. The music is all me. I arranged, performed, recorded and produced everything that you hear. It was all done using just one Wavedrum (not to sound like a commercial, but it is a pretty amazing instrument).

Anyway, people from around the world "played along" to my track, and this is the result.
    I'm the "New York City guy."

For the U.S.A segment, we set up right in the middle of Times Square.  :cool:

• ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 21:40 »
    OK, I have a  new one to add.  :cheesy I posted this in the shoutbox yesterday. It's the latest product promo video that I've been involved with. The music is all me. I arranged, performed, recorded and produced everything that you hear. It was all done using just one Wavedrum (not to sound like a commercial, but it is a pretty amazing instrument).

Anyway, people from around the world "played along" to my track, and this is the result.
    I'm the "New York City guy."

For the U.S.A segment, we set up right in the middle of Times Square.  :cool:

DB is a proper Internet hero of mine. Awesome!  :cool:
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14 »
    It's been quite some time since I posted anything here. Here's a clip of some of my more recent work. I left this band a few months ago after growing weary of the inflated egos and delusional sense of grandeur possessed by one (or more) of the other members.  :shh

But anyway, a new album is set to be released soon and this is one of the first singles. I only appear briefly towards the end during the live scenes but can be heard throughout.

• ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49 »
    nice beat.
    great drummer!

thankx for posting  :) :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy