• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3537
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1621
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
Probably time for some new blood anyway.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Didn't this issue just come up with a young rider? I can't seem to remember who it was, or where that post is.

https://twitter.com/janibrajkovic/status/1111604400013918208
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7513
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Didn't this issue just come up with a young rider? I can't seem to remember who it was, or where that post is.

https://twitter.com/janibrajkovic/status/1111604400013918208
    It did. Pat Lefevere called his newest jewel, Remco Evenepoel, fat:
    Remco Evenepoel Evolution thread
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Could someone explain this to me?
    I don't understand which 7 races they're referring to.
    And who's the American?

https://twitter.com/GentWevelgem/status/1112385927517798400

And what's with the Nazi salute from the astronaut dude?  :-x

(I didn't see a race thread, so I dropped this here.)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3315
    Gent-Wevelgem is more than just a world tour race, they have 7 classes, hosting events for all sexes and various age brackets. In this aspect, the race has few equals. I think the Frankfurt based race Runt om something is a bit of the same, (and it is the same winner :P)
    However, unless someone that saw what was happening live says that it was, it is just a badly timed photo and not a nazi salute there.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3016
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    And who's the American?

(I didn't see a race thread, so I dropped this here.)

Interesting fact here. The girl on the far right of the podium is Zoe Backstedt, younger daughter of former Paris-Roubaix winner and Eurosport commentator, Magnus Backstedt. She won the Under 17 race. She is standing next to the Under 19 race winner, her sister, Elynor.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    And who's the American?

Like our Norwegian friend says, there were seven races at Gent-Wevelgem yesterday: Men elite, Women elite, Men U23, Men U19, Women U19, Men U17, Women U17.
    On the winners' photo you see, from left to right:
    Zoë Bäckstedt (Storey Racing, WU17), Elynor Bäckstedt (British national team, WU19), Kirsten Wild (WNT-Rotor, WE), Alexander Kristoff (UAE Team Emirates, ME), Jonas Rutsch (German national team, MU23), Quinn Simmons (US national team, MU19), Noah Detalle (VC Ardennes, MU17)
    :)

However, unless someone that saw what was happening live says that it was, it is just a badly timed photo and not a nazi salute there.
    That's what I think too. He was either raising or lowering his arm at the moment the photographer shot the photo. It would be a really sloppy Nazi salute if it were one - bent arm, not much body tension ... :D

Gent-Wevelgem is more than just a world tour race, they have 7 classes, hosting events for all sexes and various age brackets. In this aspect, the race has few equals. I think the Frankfurt based race Runt om something is a bit of the same, (and it is the same winner :P)
    Woah, don't butcher German race names there!
    It's "Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt" - or it used to be, the name has now been shortened to "Eschborn-Frankfurt". But really, its traditional (and therefore only proper) name is "Rund um den Henninger-Turm", named for the huge grain silo of the title sponsor, the Henninger brewery in Frankfurt-Sachsenhausen, around which the finishing circuit used to run.[1]

May Day is a big race day in Frankfurt, with races for the men elite, men U23, men U19 (as part of the German Bundesliga series), and U17, U15, U13, and U11. There is also a Jedermannrennen (cyclo-sportive), kids' 'races' (balance bikes and pedal bikes), a handbike race, and an inline-skate race ... but no separate women's race. There will be some girls in the lower age categories, but there's no women's junior or women's elite race.

Finally, on the astronaut kit:
    That's the kit of Belgian cycling club VC Ardennes. They partner with pro team Wanty-Gobert and are, for reasons passing understanding, sponsored by a Belgian animated movie that came out in 2008.
     1. The finishing circuit is now in the city centre, with the finish near the opera.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    Thanks for the podium breakdown!  :cool

bent arm, not much body tension ... :D
    Agreed. Maybe more a Roman salute, then.  :P

...a Belgian animated movie that came out in 2008.
    I never would have guessed!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    I never would have guessed!  :D
    At least that's what I think it is. It's what I could find on a cursory internet search.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13038
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    That's the kit of Belgian cycling club VC Ardennes. They partner with pro team Wanty-Gobert and are, for reasons passing understanding, sponsored by a Belgian animated movie that came out in 2008.

the only reason I could think of is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, and therefor a potential re-release of the movie.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    the only reason I could think of is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission, and therefor a potential re-release of the movie.
    Sounds plausible.

In other news, Dan Martin has his priorities straight:
    https://twitter.com/DanMartin86/status/1112756986788175873
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Woah, don't butcher German race names there!

My  defense:
    Dear comisssaire  :snooty
    I wasn't butchering it, I was more like woah-i'll-be-late-for-work typing it while brushing my teeth running out the door with my shoelaces untied. Impossible to remember everything!

And actually I really appreciate the atmosphere created by these all-classes race days. While some of the other Belgian races seem to promote a culture where all the tough guys can come out to drink lots of beer, drive drunk from hellingen to hellingen and discuss podium girls and E3 poster girls vintages while listening to Armstrong talk in their VIP tent  (ok I am exaggerating) these races, primarily Eschborn-Frankfurt and Gent-Wevelgem have a more family Sunday atmosphere to them. (Maybe if we disregard the heavy metal hill in E-F :)

There is a time and place for most things :) but let's keep them this way!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 22:01 by t-72 »

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8002
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    The girl on the far right of the podium is Zoe Backstedt, younger daughter of former Paris-Roubaix winner and Eurosport commentator, Magnus Backstedt. She won the Under 17 race. She is standing next to the Under 19 race winner, her sister, Elynor.

https://twitter.com/anurbanpastor/status/1112411400637423617

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    At least that's what I think it is. It's what I could find on a cursory internet search.

How odd.  :P

http://www.vcardennes.be/photos/

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    I had to watch this a number of times before figuring what was going on.

Translation, please?  :)

https://twitter.com/sporza/status/1113388632306540552
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

t-72

• Road Captain
    Pavel Bernas #ccc at Tour of Norway last year or the year before. Stage finish in Horten. Saw this posted yesterday with the caption “when you had enough of Belgium for one day» and I was obviously in violation of the internet truth  in claiming that there wasn´t any Belgium involved. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13038
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1626
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    . . . the Frankfurt based race Runt om something  . . .
    :lol :lol :cry :flustered :lol :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1626
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    I had to watch this a number of times before figuring what was going on.

Translation, please?  :)

. . .
    Thanks to google translate: In the full final of #nokerekoerse it is still safety first at @mathieuvdpoel!
    Looks like there was a stone or something on the path - and those cinders/gravel on the shoulder - ouch.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    This is a very touching video. Well worth the five minutes.

https://twitter.com/EFprocycling/status/1116571864627703808

Also embedded in the linked article is a really nice video about Sep's family and their connection to his racing.
     :)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    Anyone have any further insight into this?

JVDB does.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/10/facebook-live-met-jurgen-vdb/

Jurgen Van den Broeck thinks that Kittel should mainly look at himself. "He has to wonder if he still likes to do it," says the former pro.

"The stories are circulating that he drinks too many beers and too much wine."

"He would be too busy doing other things and not training, I hear. If you see his performance this season, those stories will only be confirmed. He is also not driven on difficult parts. He just can't follow "

"Anyone who trains a bit and is a professional should be able to follow this course in this peloton. He will just be driven away between the trees. That is sad for someone like Kittel. He is also not very old yet." Kittel will be 31 next month.

"I think that Kittel's head is not right. It is not that he has a lot of setbacks. He has to look at himself. I doubt whether he still likes it."
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    Quite recent European history reminder. From a Kiwi. That’s awesome!
    https://twitter.com/aarongate/status/1118944868607381504

• ReplyReply

•