collapse

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6786
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Not so long ago social media were a rather marginal aspect of one's life, a mere "outlet" really, but they have since committed a sort of hostile takeover of polite society.

I suspect we have moved on from the gateway drug of overturning the dustbins of our unedited conscious to the real buzz of witnessing the increasingly spectacular consequences of doing so.

With consumer-driven media, cause demands immediate effect. There is no time for the written homework of research and reflection, only the raw dialogue of provocation and reaction.

But I recognise that I am something of a young dinosaur in all of this. Simmons, on the other hand, is an avid consumer and now he finds himself being the change he didn't quite wish to see.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3634
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Folks can make of this what they will. Kind of what I have been suggesting elsewhere, although I realise I am rather ignorant of what has gone on "Behind the scenes", so to speak.

https://twitter.com/TrekSegafredo/status/1311727423097110532

Poor joke I know, but it seems you can back pedal a Trek.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3355
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    Meanwhile, Tour de José (I did know her real name, can't remember it) has cancelled her Twitter account, presumably because of backlash.   Probably quite a loss for someone with her sort of media job.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • World Champion
    • Liked: 4616
    • Awards: 2019 Giro prediction champNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Meanwhile, Tour de José (I did know her real name, can't remember it) has cancelled her Twitter account, presumably because of backlash.   Probably quite a loss for someone with her sort of media job.
    José actually shuts down her social media accounts quite often. She can be a little touchy. During her time working for Eurosport she got a lot of hate from Dutch fans (undeserved in my opinion).
    I wouldn't say she shut down her accounts this time because of backlash, after all she didn't do anything wrong, but she is being threatened, insulted and bullied by right-wing numpties.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7804
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    José Been.
    I believe she may re-activate the account when things have blown over a bit - though I don't know.

On that statement, the devil is in the detail: There's a difference between "apologising to those who found what I did offensive" and "apologising for what I did".
    Quinn Simmons did the former - but "I'm sorry if you were offended, but I didn't mean to" isn't the same as "I'm sorry I offended you, even though I didn't mean to".
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3995
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Folks can make of this what they will.

LOL Trek: the company of high moral standards.  :shh

Every word of that official statement, both from the company and from Quinn, is laughable in its shallow predictability. 

Translation:

Quinn: They made me do this. I sort of mean it. Kind of. I'm doing my part to ease tensions between myself and my sponsor.

Trek: We've scolded him, as you might imagine, but this kid could be the first American to win Paris-Roubaix or Flanders, so we're not quite ready to lose him to Patrick Lefevere just yet. Oh, and please keep buying our bikes.

What I find even more comical in all this is the vapid threats from various Twitter mobsters about how they've now decided to purchase that insanely overpriced Specialized Tarmac instead of the insanely overpriced Trek Madone (or whatever-the-flip names they use for the latest incarnation).

1) Nobody cares what brand of bike you purchase for your immensely important group ride or local crit.

2) Unless you've fully vetted all the staff and sponsored athletes under the Specialized banner, and scrutinized their personal beliefs and political persuasions, and ascertained that they are acceptable by your standards, then your argument stands without any merit whatsoever.

I agree that Quinn Simmons has certain responsibilities as a representative of a particular brand—something which is true of all athletes with corporate affiliation. If nothing else, he needs to be cognizant of the position he's putting his sponsors in if he's going to be antagonistic on social media.

But when I see people calling for the end of his professional career as an athlete, over the use of a single cartoonish emoji, it tells me that people have completely lost the flipping plot, and they all need to stop taking social media too seriously.

I hate to drag national (international?) politics into all of this, but here we are. With that being said, most of what Trump does, says, or Tweets would be nothing but background noise if not for the media's 24/7 obsession with every breath, gesture and utterance. The same goes for the hyperventilating surrounded the obscure tweet of a young athlete in a fringe sport.

The weight is given to it only in the reaction, not the initial action. I couldn't give a flip about anything Trump does on Twitter, but I'm made aware of it at every turn, whether I like it or not. It is inescapable. Nor could I give two flips about the political leanings of any athlete or celebrity at any level. It has zero effect on me, and most of it would have zero effect on the world if not for the irrisistable need for condemnation from the masses. The unimportant becomes important; the fringe becomes mainstream. Most people on the planet have zero idea who Quinn Simmons is or what a "José Been" is even supposed to be. This is a non-story by any rational assessment.

But in the pursuit of "justice" and "righteousness," any hint of dissension or unpopular opinion is met with a the scorched earth mentality of "cancel culture."

Well guess what? That's why Donal Trump is President of the United States. It's not because of a handful of redneck racists who wish for a return to days-gone-by. Trust me, there's not nearly enough of them still in existence to propel someone like Trump into office. No, it's because many more people see the insanity of witch hunts.

Why might any of this matter to me, and how did this end up as a political rant? It's because when people take their outrage over cartoons too seriously, we eventually end up with Charlie Hebdo. Feeling "offended" carries way more weight these days than it should.

People are going to have varying perspectives, opinions, and senses of humor. Deal with it. Just because you're outraged over something, it doesn't mean you're right. If everyone agreed on everything, and viewed the entire world through the same lens, the result would be mind-numbingly bland and boring beyond words.

If the now-grossly overused phrase, "Diversity is our strength," is to have any meaning at all, then it means accepting that fact that not everyone is going to agree with you. And, shockingly, you might even find that your own world view changes over time.

Perspective: That's what seems to have been lost in all this, and that's what seems to be lost in the 21st century.

This is not at all what I imagined would become of our culture before the birth of the glorious Internet.

I will forever be grateful for the fact that I both knew, and experienced, life to the fullest, before the arrival of the digital age.

Those were the days...

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 21:57 by Drummer Boy »

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 987
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Completely agree with your posts, Drummer Boy. It's an non issue which Trek have made an issue by doing Simmons dirty here.

I don't get it. The language was civil enough, and even his follow up wasn't uncivil. If we're going into the depths of emoji colour, I think it's gone way too far already. But I don't think that's the issue either, as the journalist's post was more offensive.

Don't agree with his political stance, but creating such a hostile environment for a political opinion is only going to polarise things further. The din of the mob surrounding the kid and calling for action against him over a black coloured emoji/Trump support is ridiculously disproportionate.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8942
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Leadbelly

• World Champion
    • Liked: 8942
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CILOYEYpCE1/

Raim-y is making his film debut.....as a beer boy.

The film is called Apteeker Melchior

A medieval crime scene about a Tallinn pharmacist who has to reveal the secret behind a terrible wave of murders that threatens to destroy the entire Christian world.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7804
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Raim-y is making his film debut.....as a beer boy.
    Matti Breschel used to do modeling before becoming a pro cyclist.
    Could Miku go the other way, from pro cyclist to movie star? :lol
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 666
    Evenepoel replying "je m´en bats les couilles" to Vayer  :cool

https://www.twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1350437999495041030
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3355
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France Prediction Champ2020 Worlds Prediction Champ2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by subZ37O
    [March 04, 2021, 10:50]

Re: le Samyn by t-72
    [March 02, 2021, 08:03]

[March 02, 2021, 07:55]

Re: le Samyn by Mellow Velo
    [March 02, 2021, 07:39]

Re: le Samyn by search
    [March 01, 2021, 22:32]