collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10844
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
So Froome can climb faster than just about anyone

Has had Typhoid and Bazilla

can do a bike fit better than Merckx

His trainers at Sky are sh*t

but still little Chris makes it what a story

lucky I believe in miracles

;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396

;)

..and he still had the energy to fight off the evil knights ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Claudio Cappuccino

• National Champion
    • Liked: 741
    • Venga! Venga! Venga!
    Re: Dave Walsh - The Climb
    « Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 22:29 »
    The question after reading this book should be if David Walsh has become senile. Or, was he already senile. Or, when did he become senile?

Thanks Keith for the analysis.
  • ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 102
    « Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 04:17 »
    He really hates Movistar and Saxo. Fwiw I didn't think Contador did anything unsporting. Froome's complaining about guys attacking when he's most vulnerable - that's basic tactics, not being arseholes. Idiot.
  • ReplyReply
  • The best album ever: itunes.apple.com/us/album/riddim-driven-sleng-teng-extravaganza/id76251384

Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    « Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 04:45 »
    On another note, Walsh is an awful writer. Not because he's pro-Froome or anything, he's just ugly. His style of writing is awkward and amateurish, filled with malapropisms. It has no fluidity or creative flair. I said as much when I read his first Froome book - this guy's command of written English is worse than what mine was when I was 15. How can somebody so incompetent make a living off writing?

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I'm an excellent writer and it's something I'm very passionate about, something I hold up to everybody as a great discipline and art form. So it's almost insulting to me to see a hack make a living as a writer.
  • ReplyReply

• BadbrainAJ

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 34
    « Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 05:27 »
    You have been blocked from following this account at the request of the user. Yes Dawg that worked for Wonderboy as well
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 05:41 »
    So is their more bile in this thread or in the book... :slow
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 339
    « Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 14:39 »
    On another note, Walsh is an awful writer. Not because he's pro-Froome or anything, he's just ugly. His style of writing is awkward and amateurish, filled with malapropisms. It has no fluidity or creative flair. I said as much when I read his first Froome book - this guy's command of written English is worse than what mine was when I was 15. How can somebody so incompetent make a living off from writing?

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I'm an excellent writer and it's something I'm very passionate about, something I hold up to everybody as a great discipline and art form. So it's almost insulting to me to see a hack make a living as a writer.

I must say that I was taken aback with the lack of quality in Mr Walsh's earlier magnum opus, so whilst I don't think I could ever bring myself to read this book, i can see how you reached that view.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    poor Michelle Cound, still no trident for her

Froome can buy her a pitchfork and put her to work digging a hole for himself to hide in
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 20:34 »
    More from Froome in today's Times

Kenyan-born cyclist Chris Froome, 29, moved to Johannesburg at the age of 14, and went on to study economics at the city’s university. Last year he won the Tour de France, having picked up a bronze medal at the London Olympics in 2012. The Team Sky rider lives in Monaco with his fiancée, Michelle Cound.

I am quite a timid person. But I don’t think that’s necessarily held me back. If anything, I’ve learnt to be expressive and communicative in other ways that don’t involve having to shout and be the loudest guy in the room. You don’t have to be like that to get the best out of the people around you. When I’m with my team-mates before we get to a race, we have an open discussion. “Guys, how are we going to do this?” I really enjoy those conversations.

I’m glad my mum made me speak Swahili as well as English. In Kenya, broadly speaking, race is not an issue as much as it is in somewhere like South Africa, where the divisions are a lot stronger. But I think I was very fortunate to have grown up with a mother who encouraged me to see that. Not much in life gets handed to you on a plate. I’ve always been a firm believer in making your own opportunities.

I’m tenacious and stubborn, and if I set my mind to something, I’ll make that my absolute focus and it will take over my life. Looking back at some of the things I did as an aspiring cyclist, it makes me laugh, the lengths I would go to. I emailed every single racing team in Europe with my CV and a paragraph about my motivation. If they were an Italian or French or Spanish team, I’d just run it through Google Translate. Looking back, they must have thought I was an absolute nut.

Pain isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Don’t shy away from it. If you feel pain when you’re training, that’s good, because it means the race is going to feel easier.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people thought I was a bit dull. To be honest, nine times out of ten, when I’m talking about a race, even I find it quite boring. Overnight success can take years. I’ve been labelled by a lot of people as somebody who just popped up out of nowhere in 2011. I came second in the Tour de France the following year, then won it the year after. But even as an 18-year-old in South Africa, that was my target.

You can buy a mug with my face on it. It’s a bit strange. I’m very conscious that I’m in the limelight, especially since it’s only been the past couple of years that it’s really picked up. I was waved off the road by a policeman near Cape Town recently. I thought I’d done something wrong, but he just wanted a photograph with me. It was surreal. He was possibly abusing his powers a little bit there.

Nothing brings clarity like being in nature. I was on a ride today in the mountains, and I didn’t see a car for hours. Just being up there has this calming effect. It clears your mind completely.

My fiancée and I both really enjoy scuba diving, and I like to go spear-fishing as a hobby. I can’t imagine myself cooped up in an office.

When I’m on the bike, that’s the business side of things. I probably do ride in an aggressive manner, and probably come across as if I’ve got blinkers on, or that I’m very cold. Off the bike, I’m very different. I’m quite a relaxed, laid-back guy. There’s really not a lot that will get me uptight.

Cycling isn’t everything. What I am doing is at the top end of my sport, and it can be very intense and high-pressured. But at the end of the day, I think I do have the perspective to see that it is just sport.

Chris Froome’s autobiography, The Climb, is published by Viking (£20)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:01 by L'arri, Reason: Guessed a few paragraphs for legibility ;-) »

Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 215

;)

Well, it would be very sad for you if you did not believe in miracles.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #41 on: June 07, 2014, 22:49 »
    Did he really say "overnight success can take years"?!? :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 751
    « Reply #42 on: June 07, 2014, 23:57 »

Is a phrase like that oxymoronic? or perhaps it's just moronic.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1129
    « Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 11:34 »
    I thought it was quite profound, but spoilt by not following up with something about the fine margins between success and failure blah blah.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 11:47 »
    So, we have two articles by David Walsh in the Sunday Times today.

The first is the Brailsford/Team Sky side of the story. No TdF team chosen, Brailsford chooses it and Wiggins was wrong to speak to the BBC.

The second is the Team Froome side of the story. Wiggins is a terrible team mate, he had a chance in the Vuelta but was horrible and cruel to Froome. Froome is by far the better team leader and communicator.

It seems that the Walsh role of chief scribe to both Team Sky and Froome is conflicted and he runs the risk of upsetting both clients at this difficult moment.
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2126
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 17:57 »

It's a very common phrase to dismiss the "accusation", rather like saying that luck is the result of hard effort.  Think of it as shorthand for "I understand why it might look like overnight success to many people,but I know it to only coming about because of many years of dedication."
  • ReplyReply

• ventoux67

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 2
    « Reply #46 on: June 08, 2014, 19:23 »
    I'vwe been reading extracts from this book on another site, and you know something doesn't ring true about it, its the prose you see it doesn't somehow seem to be Froomish who's monosyllabic at best, its the constant petty spitefulness towards his rivals Contador and Quintana, and the remark about Greg Henderson and the guitar, but it was the bit about him and Porte doing extra training miles that did it, and suddenly the penny dropped that all along it was Michele Cound who wrote it for him with Walsh.
  • ReplyReply

• wwabbit

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 37
    « Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 22:29 »
    I've read through the whole book and I don't see what some people here said they have seen in snippets, e.g. regarding anything being 'spiteful' towards Contador. He did rip into Greg Henderson though, and Wiggins to a smaller extend. Otherwise I don't see anyone else significant that will be offended, not even Dave Brailsford.

• ReplyReply

• Eric

• Shabba!
    • Neo Pro
    « Reply #48 on: June 09, 2014, 04:49 »
    I imagine this book is particularly popular in the UK because of the tidal wave of anti-European sentiment in that country recently. Nibali and Contador are the best their countries (and by extension, the European Union) have to offer and still, to Froome and his readers, they're nothing but lazy dago's who love coffee and siestas and shy away from real, hard work. Just like, or so the party line goes, their countrymen.

What a disgusting, racist book.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:52 by Eric »

wwabbit

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #49 on: June 09, 2014, 07:21 »
    I imagine this book is particularly popular in the UK because of the tidal wave of anti-European sentiment in that country recently. Nibali and Contador are the best their countries (and by extension, the European Union) have to offer and still, to Froome and his readers, they're nothing but lazy dago's who love coffee and siestas and shy away from real, hard work. Just like, or so the party line goes, their countrymen.

What a disgusting, racist book.

Did you actually read the book? There's nothing anti-European or racist in it, and there's nothing about Europeans being 'lazy dago's who love coffee and siestas and shy away from real, hard work'.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3978
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #50 on: June 09, 2014, 08:45 »
    I've read through the whole book and I don't see what some people here said they have seen in snippets, e.g. regarding anything being 'spiteful' towards Contador. He did rip into Greg Henderson though, and Wiggins to a smaller extend. Otherwise I don't see anyone else significant that will be offended, not even Dave Brailsford.

"How's that coffee, Alberto?" "Why don't you come after me, Alberto?" "You have to accelerate now, Alberto."

Reminds me of someone. Reminds me of LANCE.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #51 on: June 09, 2014, 08:49 »
    Did you actually read the book? There's nothing anti-European or racist in it, and there's nothing about Europeans being 'lazy dago's who love coffee and siestas and shy away from real, hard work'.

Well he does say he imagines them drinking coffee with their amigos instead of training super hard, like himself. He doesn't say he thinks that's the case, but the book does imply they're a bunch of lazy "amigos".
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #52 on: June 09, 2014, 09:21 »
    Well he does say he imagines them drinking coffee with their amigos instead of training super hard, like himself. He doesn't say he thinks that's the case, but the book does imply they're a bunch of lazy "amigos".

You are reading too much into it, Flo.

I think he hopes that he has a training advantage over his competitors rather than any sort of reality.

I think the stuff about not wanting to go to Saxo, because of their doping past is far more serious.

But it seems like water of Bertie's back - he is far too strong for Froome/Cound to affect him mentally.
  • ReplyReply

• wwabbit

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #53 on: June 09, 2014, 11:05 »
    "How's that coffee, Alberto?" "Why don't you come after me, Alberto?" "You have to accelerate now, Alberto."

Reminds me of someone. Reminds me of LANCE.

I did a search for "coffee", "drink", "amigos", "train" and I don't see anything about him imagining that his rivals are crazy. "How's the coffee Alberto" is in there but not the other two Alberto quotes. In the context of the few paragraphs around that quote, Froome was just psyching himself up to push harder while interval training, imagining that the rewards of the 20seconds of 700watts effort - causing the peloton to fragment behind him.

As Keith said, you are reading too much into it, and I understand why you are doing this. You hate Froome and you would like to interpret anything and everything to put Froome in a bad light so that you can justify the hate to yourself. I don't have any problem with this if you keep it to yourself, but making stuff up about Froome is taking things too far and unfair to him.

Froome is already unpopular enough as he is around here, there's no need to make stuff up to make him more unpopular, he seems to be doing pretty well doing that himself!

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15 »
    I did a search for "coffee", "drink", "amigos", "train" and I don't see anything about him imagining that his rivals are crazy.

Not crazy, lazy.

"How's the coffee Alberto" is in there but not the other two Alberto quotes. In the context of the few paragraphs around that quote, Froome was just psyching himself up to push harder while interval training, imagining that the rewards of the 20seconds of 700watts effort - causing the peloton to fragment behind him.

The other two I was paraphrasing:

As Keith said, you are reading too much into it, and I understand why you are doing this. You hate Froome and you would like to interpret anything and everything to put Froome in a bad light so that you can justify the hate to yourself. I don't have any problem with this if you keep it to yourself, but making stuff up about Froome is taking things too far and unfair to him.

Froome is already unpopular enough as he is around here, there's no need to make stuff up to make him more unpopular, he seems to be doing pretty well doing that himself!

Not making stuff up, my friend, unfortunately. :(
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10844
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28 »
    Not much in  that florry

he is just saying he likes to think he trains harder  but then someone added some bs used the Spanish word for friends.

If it was an english group he might have said mates, swedish kompis etc etc
  • ReplyReply

• wwabbit

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 11:29 »
    Ok thanks, I've found the part about the three amigos. Strangely my previous search results don't find that part but searching for "chatting" found it.

Again, you need to read the whole thing to get the context. He's not accusing the 'three amigos' of being lazy. It says right there that he hopes that's what they are doing, and right in the very next paragraph he says that he knows the reality is that they are training just as hard as he was, so he pushes himself to go even further.

There's nothing deceitful in that unless you are deliberately reading it out of context to make stuff up about him.

As for the second segment, I'm not sure what you see in there that you are unhappy with.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #57 on: June 09, 2014, 11:33 »
    Ok thanks, I've found the part about the three amigos. Strangely my previous search results don't find that part but searching for "chatting" found it.

Again, you need to read the whole thing to get the context. He's not accusing the 'three amigos' of being lazy. It says right there that he hopes that's what they are doing, and right in the very next paragraph he says that he knows the reality is that they are training just as hard as he was, so he pushes himself to go even further.

There's nothing deceitful in that unless you are deliberately reading it out of context to make stuff up about him.

As for the second segment, I'm not sure what you see in there that you are unhappy with.

Second segment:

the second part in italics. Spells P.R.I.C.K. to me just like 'how's that coffee, Alberto?"
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #58 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35 »
    Not much in  that florry

he is just saying he likes to think he trains harder  but then someone added some bs used the Spanish word for friends.

If it was an english group he might have said mates, swedish kompis etc etc

Don't think there is much in it either but the overall tone + the "how's that coffee, Alberto?" comes across as very disrespectful to me.

Like Hoggy said:

"It's clear Alberto is a nice guy who chats to Froome and the book takes those snippets of conversation to turn Contador into an idiot or "amigo" who knows no better."

Post Merge: June 09, 2014, 11:39
    I guess different people will read different things into it but many people agree with me and I now dislike Froome even more, didn't like him at all before this but thought he was a nice guy, but he's dead to me now.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39 »
    Perhaps Froome will be saying at the tour "How is the double expresso with Honey, Mr Contador" as Bertie beats Froome at every mountain top finish ;)
  • ReplyReply

•