collapse

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2509
When do you ride?
« on: April 18, 2012, 23:41 »
Just wondering when you guys ride, how many times per week, and for how long? I'm having trouble building up a good form with cycling. Only quite recently took it up, but I'm not feeling like I'm improving a lot. The problem is that I like to go running at least once a week and play tennis or squash mostly every week with friends. So that leaves me with limited time for cycling. But I figured that reading what you all do per week might inspire me to find some time somewhere in my weekly schedule ;)

I mostly do tennis or squash on monday or tuesday. Then wednesday morning I have limited time off, so I don't have enough time for a long ride and instead either go for a run or a short bike-ride. Friday I have all the time in the world, so I can go for a longer ride. I mostly end up doing somewhere between 40 and 60 km, which will probably sounds short for you guys but can be challenging for me (especially against the wind in open fields). Then sunday I mostly go for a run of anywhere between 5 and 15 km.

So when do you find time to ride your bike, and what do you do with that time?
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Re: When do you ride?
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 21:58 »
    No really rule about it, when found time. I am trying to do 3/4 of endurance rides cos that matter, later adding some harder rides and races on weekends.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 00:00 »
    I just finished a 6-week cycle of interval training. I used to do 3 sessions of intervals, 2 hours each, a long ride on sunday and 2 easy rides, one of them including sprints. Now I'm trying to do 3 long endurance rides a week, 1 TT session and 2 easy rides. My aim is to peak around May.
    I usually do between 12 and 16 hours a week, depending in which period of the season I am. During winter, it's more difficult, as I work full-time and the days are short. So I train most of the time on the home-trainer.
    Sometimes during the season, I also include 1 run / week. Before becoming a cyclist, I used to be a good runner and I think i'm good at it. So, this year, I might run even more as I'm willing to test myself in triathlons. I've never done one and I'm interested to see what would be the outcome.
  • ReplyReply
  • Me and my teammate's (the new Lebanese National Champion) cycling blog
    http://enchassepatate.blogspot.com/     
    @chasse_patate    @nobilis_tobilis

usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 82
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 00:30 »
    Just wondering when you guys ride, how many times per week, and for how long? I'm having trouble building up a good form with cycling. Only quite recently took it up, but I'm not feeling like I'm improving a lot. The problem is that I like to go running at least once a week and play tennis or squash mostly every week with friends. So that leaves me with limited time for cycling. But I figured that reading what you all do per week might inspire me to find some time somewhere in my weekly schedule ;)

I mostly do tennis or squash on monday or tuesday. Then wednesday morning I have limited time off, so I don't have enough time for a long ride and instead either go for a run or a short bike-ride. Friday I have all the time in the world, so I can go for a longer ride. I mostly end up doing somewhere between 40 and 60 km, which will probably sounds short for you guys but can be challenging for me (especially against the wind in open fields). Then sunday I mostly go for a run of anywhere between 5 and 15 km.

So when do you find time to ride your bike, and what do you do with that time?
    http://www.cyclesportcoaching.com/Files/BasicsofCyclingTraining.pdf

some tips to get you started from USA Cycling
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:06 by usedtobefast »

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:23 »
    Tends to be a mix for me. Cycling is pretty much the only sport i do so do not have as many things to clash with as you

I try for riding in the morning, so getting up at 5.45 to do 2 hours before work. but i do struggle with the early starts. one of my biggest issues is over worrying about getting enough sleep which leaves me waking up at 4.30 and too tired to go out.

if you are looking for consistent training then i think mornings are the best time to go, it is also the time most people ride so there will be a lot more riders on the road (good for motivating yourself to ride a little harder and also i think makes things safer). for me the traffic is also less early in the morning.

because of my issues waking up i try to mix 2 early rides with say 2 evening rides. in general these are usually round the 2 hour 45 km mark. one weekends can sometimes do a little more but currently 55-60kms is about my limit.

i think the issue for you is you do multiple sports, which is great socially, fitness wise etc etc but cycling requires a fair amount of dedication to improve beyond a certain level. so i think you have to decide if you really do want to improve your riding, in which case you probably need to initially reduce some of your other activities and switch in some more riding, or if you are just happy being an occasional cyclist who also plays squash and runs. we cannot all be a pro.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2509
    « Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49 »
    Thanks for the replies all :) Yes, I know I should probably choose between the sports, but I just enjoy all of them. I'd rather be decent at all of them than great at cycling while sacrificing the others I think.

I will try some morning rides to see how that works out. Will give me a lot more opportunities to ride if I can get 2 hours done before starting the day.
  • ReplyReply

• nobilis

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 92
      • En Chasse Patate
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 20:19 »
    I like morning rides. The good thing about them is that you feel high after them, so even work will be a fun thing to do.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:46 »
    Thanks for the replies all :) Yes, I know I should probably choose between the sports, but I just enjoy all of them. I'd rather be decent at all of them than great at cycling while sacrificing the others I think.

I will try some morning rides to see how that works out. Will give me a lot more opportunities to ride if I can get 2 hours done before starting the day.

Personally, unless you are really looking to compete in races, it is better to do many sports. good for your mind as well as body. more social. stops you getting bored so much.

agree with Nobilis with mornings. I hate them when i wake up but if i could bottle the way i feel at 8 in the morning at the end of a good early morning ride... i would be a millionaire.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 04:02 »
    I have a group of friends and we have a Tuesday morning ride at 9 am, although in the colder months it gets pushed back to 10.  and when it is going to get really hot we try to meet earlier.
    We ride into the mts or will do a longer flats ride...depending on the mood.

I try to ride again on Thursday or Friday and then Sunday again...although these days get shifted around.  Usually fit in a run another two or three days and an upper body weight day for one hour and a day of core 1/2 hour or so...

In addition I run all year round so back off on the cycling in winter and freezing temps!  ---I still do an indoor powermax class every Tuesday---and crank up the runs.   I hate sitting still.... :police:
  • ReplyReply

•