collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2482
Chloe Hosking Q&A - 2 July 2014
« on: June 26, 2014, 14:41 »
Velorooms is proud to present its first ever Q&A session, with none other than Hitec Products pro cyclist Chloe Hosking!

This interview will take place live on 02 July 2014, at 20.00 CET but you can start posting questions before then.

As this is a new format for us, we'll briefly explain the concept before introducing Chloe:

The format

Chloe has already registered as a VR member. This thread will remain locked until the interview starts. Once it's open, you as VR members can ask Chloe your questions.

If you can't be present when the live interview happens, you can submit a question via a separate thread open for all pre-interview comments, discussion and questions.

As a member you can post your questions at any time. If there's a lull during the interview, one of the hosts (Just Some Guy and Slow Rider) will quote questions from the discussion thread and put them to Chloe.

We'll also accept questions via Twitter directed to @velorooms with the hashtag #askchloe but VR is a forum and questions asked via VR will be prioritised.

A few notes:

- The interviewee will decide which questions to answer. Don't be offended if your question does not get answered.

- We always encourage discussion but during the live interview, try to limit your input to questions for Chloe. Deeper discussion can then happen later when the the live session is complete.

- Staff members will moderate the process. Inappropriate, duplicate and redundant questions may be removed.

- After the interview, we will publish an article using the most interesting questions and answers. This article will appear here on Velorooms, but also on Velofocus, a leading women's cycling website.

Here's an introduction to our very first interviewee: Chloe Hosking!

Chloe Hosking

Chloe Hosking was born on October 1, 1990 in Bendigo, Australia. She began cycling at the age of 12, when shin splints forced her to give up field hockey. Her father Steven - himself an avid cyclist - was more than happy to help her get started.

By her own admission, Chloe "was never anything special" as a junior, failing to impress during the U19 World Championships in 2008. She focused on her studies, working on a Bachelor in Communications which she now has almost completed, but her coach at the time Sian Mulholland continued to encourage her.

After much hard work and with investment from her parents, Chloe finally impressed during the Tour of New Zealand and the Tour of Chongming Island. She received the offer of a contract from HTC-Columbia, later Specialized-lululemon.

Since 2013, Chloe has been riding with Norwegian team Hitec Products, alongside other prominent riders including Elisa Longo Borghini, Rachel Neylan and Rossella Ratto. She is currently coached by Eric Haakonssen.

Best known as a sprinter, Chloe is one of the fastest women in the peloton. She has won stages in the Tours of Qatar and Chongming Island, La Route de France and the Holland Ladies Tour. Other big results include victory in the 2012 Drentse 8 van Dwingeloo, a Commonwealth Games bronze medal and sixth in the 2011 World Championship Road Race.

Chloe opened her account in 2014 with two podiums at the Tour of Qatar, second in the sprint classification and third overall, continuing her rivalry with Kirsten Wild in that race. As the season progressed, she was the first ever non-Dutch winner of the Omloop van Borsele. Now poised to ride the Giro Rosa, Chloe will bring her force to a powerful Hitec Products team selection.

There's more to Chloe than riding a bike very fast! A prominent blogger and fearlessly outspoken about the issues that face our sport, Chloe infamously called former UCI President Pat McQuaid a "dick" but her informed and nuanced opinions on women's cycling often grace the pages of her own website and respected online magazine Cyclingtips.

Let's hope she will bring us more of her insight and enthusiasm in this exclusive interview.

Ask your questions here!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 21:14 by Slow Rider »

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Re: Chloe Hosking Q&A - 2 July 2014
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 18:50 »
    And ladies and gentlemen.. we're open! Welcome to the forum Chloe Hosking, we're happy you were willing to lend us your time!

To start off with, a question asked early, from the other thread, by Jamsque:

Have you felt any impact in the women's peloton of Brian Cookson's UCI presidency? What role do you think the UCI president should take in driving the women's sport forward?

Yep, we're not starting you off easy ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 18:54 »
    So just to be clear, anyone can ask any questions live in here. We'll get some questions asked early on twitter and the other thread in here as well. For all guidelines, see the opening post of this topic.
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 61
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 18:58 »
    Hi!

Thanks for having me. I am actually extremely nervous, I’ve got more butterflies in my stomach than when I start a bike race.

Have you felt any impact in the women's peloton of Brian Cookson's UCI presidency? What role do you think the UCI president should take in driving the women's sport forward?

Great first question.

There has definitely been huge improvements and steps made forward for women’s cycling in the past 6-8months, since the whole UCI got an overhaul. Brian Cookson has done a lot to bring women’s cycling into the 21st century, also the appointment of fellow Aussie and former professional female cycling Tracey Gaudry has had a huge impact too.

Look at things like the launch of la Course by le Tour, the start of the women’s commission, the commitment of the UCI to create highlight packages of our World Cups races. These are big steps in the right direction.

Under the old ‘regime’ it really felt like we were second class citizens. But the reality is it is the UCI jobs to support, manage and promote all aspects of the sport, not just men’s road cycling. Women’s cycling is not the only part of the sport that was neglected for many years. But of course my heart is with women’s cycling so that’s what I focus on. 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:33 by L'arri »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10890
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 19:00 »
    I was spectating at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, a hard race usually run in poor weather and so characterful that I try never to miss an edition.

In this year's edition, the Paterberg was exclusive to the women's parcours, and the peloton had an unusual mix of riders: the absolute best riding alongside much less experienced local talent.

As it transpired, this was the critical moment of the day and Lizzie Armitstead had just detonated the race such that behind her, certain individuals expressed a sort of desperation at having missed the move.

As exhausted riders started to put feet down on the climb, I among other spectators put down my camera and jumped into the thick of the race to steady and push those in trouble.

I witnessed some pretty strong scenes and even stronger language between some of them. Perhaps the worst of all from one particular individual in this photo I took moments before jumping in ... ;)

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I have never seen anything like that in all the races I've attended, regardless of gender. I was quite disturbed by this experience and the memory of it is still fresh in my mind.

So, apart from the demands of the racing itself, do you need to have a pretty tough character to survive in the women's peloton?

Do you feel that there is a lower tolerance for aggressiveness and physical contact in the women's peloton than in the men's peloton (especially in the sprint)?  As a female racer I've noticed that there seems to be a difference in the lower level racing but I'm wondering if the difference fades at the professional level. 

2 similar questions and something I noticed watching Bay crits when I was last home, the noise of the peloton is impressive
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 19:10 »
    The most important thing to start with is this; riders are generally very different people on the bike compared to off the bike.

I think most cycling fans have seen the recent in race videos of the sprints at the Tour of Swiss etc and that gives you some idea of how vocal and ‘bossy’ riders can be, and to be honest you have to be this way. You can’t just say, ‘oh no problems, you can have that wheel.’ You will end up at the back of the peloton and never be in contention to win a race.

As for swearing, would you have cared if it came out of a man’s mouth? We’re competitive athletes who experience adrenaline rushes and everything and when you’re in the heat of the moment it’s like you have fire in your eyes. You’ll do anything and say anything to stay up right.

As for the tolerance in men’s vs women’s peloton I wouldn’t know to be honest, I’ve never sprinted against Cav (dammit!) so I can’t say how the two sprints compare but I can tell you the women’s peloton are aggressive enough.

I myself am a very vocal rider. I’m always yelling out left or right, or stay there. If people choose to listen to me that’s their choice.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 19:12 »
    Every year I get excited when Qatar racing is on, we get to see you guys race live on TV

The last 2 years have been you Verse Wild , the size difference is quite alot, how do you plan your sprint against Kirsten, what roles do members of your team have `?
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 19:16 »
    Haha. Yes, you have the two extremes; I’m extremely short and Wild is quite tall! It actually a great example of why cycling is such a fantastic sport because there is no specific shape you have to be. Pre cycling I was a rock climber but had to stop when I could no longer reach the rocks that the same girls my age had no problem reaching.

Wild is hard to beat, but I have shown on a few occasions she is beatable. It’s hard to say how I plan my sprint against her because most of the time she has a fantastic lead out train so you’re usually forced to come from her wheel and she isn’t easy to come around.

Catching her by surprise or forcing her to go early are good tactics.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 19:18 »
    Next question is one from Sean from Velofocus:

It's sad to me that two of the best women's races, Giro Rosa & Thüringen are effectively going 'head to head' with the races being run back-to-back. With opportunities for sprinters drying up long before the Giro Rosa is won do you think many sprinter-types might leave the Giro early to race Thüringen?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 19:19 »
    Giro Rosa starts in a day or so are you at the race with the team already ?

How tired are you after a Grand tour?

What satges are your stages ?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5982
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 19:19 »
    Hiya Chloe, thanks for taking the time to come along this evening. I've got a couple of less serious and probably very unoriginal quickfire questions. Feel free to answer all or none.

1. Strangest prize/trophy for winning a race you've received?
    2. Best mate in the peloton?
    3. Cats or Dogs?
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 19:22 »
    It's sad to me that two of the best women's races, Giro Rosa & Thüringen are effectively going 'head to head' with the races being run back-to-back. With opportunities for sprinters drying up long before the Giro Rosa is won do you think many sprinter-types might leave the Giro early to race Thüringen?

That’s a really interesting question and actually something I hadn’t thought about. For me, if I start a race I intend to finish it so I’ll be starting and finishing (hopefully) the Giro. To be honest I think most people have picked one or the other which is a shame that they have been forced to do that because they are both great races.

There are a lot of ‘shaking my head’ moments at the current racing calendar and the overlap of Giro and Thuringen is one of them.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:35 by L'arri »

Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 19:25 »
    Giro Rosa starts in a day or so are you at the race with the team already ?

How tired are you after a Grand tour?

What satges are your stages ?

I’m actually at my ‘Italian’ home, Elisa Longo Borghini’s house. We fly tomorrow to Napoli.

I’ve only finished one of the 3 Giro’s I have started and I actually wasn’t that tired directly after the race finished. But you have to be so careful because it’s so easy not to feel tired, do to much and then drive yourself into a hole for the next two months or so.

The first few stages are down south and are meant to be good for the sprinters, stage 2 and 3 in particular I think.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:35 by L'arri »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6152
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 19:27 »
    Safe to say that the mountains are not the highlight of your race. What goes through your mind when slogging it out on those big hills?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 19:28 »
    Hiya Chloe, thanks for taking the time to come along this evening. I've got a couple of less serious and probably very unoriginal quickfire questions. Feel free to answer all or none.

1. Strangest prize/trophy for winning a race you've received?
    2. Best mate in the peloton?
    3. Cats or Dogs?

1. Oh good question. I don’t know. I won a washing machine for winning the young rider classification at the Holland Ladies Tour in 2011. I thought that was pretty funny; do you want me to be a house wife or a bike rider?

2. I’m seriously so lucky to ride with so many girls that have become great friends. Three of my favorites are Emilia Fahlin (Wiggle Honda), Lucy Martin (Faren) and Elisa Longo Borghini (Hitec Products)

3. Cats or Dogs? I’m a dog lady!....don’t you follow me on instagram ;-)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:36 by L'arri »

Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 19:29 »
    Safe to say that the mountains are not the highlight of your race. What goes through your mind when slogging it out on those big hills?

Please let me survive!
    Why did I eat that gelato?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:37 by L'arri »

Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 484
    « Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 19:30 »
    How do you like my avatar?
    Have somebody tempted you to dope?
    Who do you think will win the Giro Rosa this year?
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4080
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 19:31 »
    Some "unoriginal" questions from me:

1) Are you simply known as Chloe in the peloton, or do you have a nickname?

2) Which particular race would you love to win?

And one from Havetts

Is there any big role model you look up towards?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 19:31 »
    A few different questions about the same topic from AG. You already asnwered the first two in response to Jamsque's question, but the others are new and very interesting:

Do you think the UCI is doing enough for Womens cycling?

Do you think Brian Cookson has done anything to improve the situation for women?

What do you think needs to happen?   What do we need to do to grow Womens Cycling?

How do you feel about situations like the Tour of Flanders where the Mens and Womens race is held on the same day so the infrastructure was there - but they still dont broadcast the womens race live?

Did the Women feel any difference in races like the Womens Tour in Britain which was broadcast?   

Ps. Sorry for the low forum speed, lot of pageloads at the same time does that to our little servers ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 19:32 »
    Ok the Darkside question

Doping in the womens peloton

I know you read the stuff about the US cycling in the 80´s - 90´s and Reports are Nicole Cooke is in her book talking fridges full .

Are there rumors about ( unnamed of course ) riders or teams crossing the line?

why do you think there has been less positives in womens racing?
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 371
    « Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 19:32 »
    Please let me survive!
    Why did I eat that gelato?

And now for a little levity

Why DID you eat that gelato?
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 484
    « Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 19:33 »
    Last but not the least, how did you become a moderator?  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 19:34 »
    How do you like my avatar?
    Have somebody tempted you to dope?
    Who do you think will win the Giro Rosa this year?

Haha that’s hilarious.

No. Never.

My teammate, Elisa Longo Borghini! But seriously, I think she is up for a top three. I think it’s not great news for all the other GC that there are 3 hill top finishes with Mara Abbott in the race.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:38 by L'arri »

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 19:35 »
    Last but not the least, how did you become a moderator?  :D

Heheh, because our admins were too lazy to make a seperate usergroup for interviewee ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 19:39 »
    Some "unoriginal" questions from me:

1) Are you simply known as Chloe in the peloton, or do you have a nickname?

2) Which particular race would you love to win?

And one from Havetts

Is there any big role model you look up towards?

As far as I know I am just known as Chloe, but you never know. I know Judith Arndt and the Columbia-Highroad team referred to me as ‘the girl with the bananas’ during the Giro in 2009 because I always had bananas in my pocket. We had a good laugh when I signed for the team the following year...didn’t stop me from eating my bananas though.

The World Championships, 2016 Qatar!

Definitely my former teammate, Ina Yoko Teutenberg. I really think of her as a mentor and she still gives me advice when I need it. I actually wrote a blog recently about my ‘small army’ and the people who have helped me get to where I am. You can check it out on my website; chloehosking.wordpress.com
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:40 by L'arri »

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2626
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 19:41 »
    Have you signed up for Bingo?
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6152
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 19:45 »
    Have you signed up for Bingo?

Krabs is referring to Velorooms' annual Tour de France Bingo ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Chloe Hosking

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 19:46 »
    What do you think needs to happen? What do we need to do to grow Womens Cycling?

This is such a huge question and actually hard to answer. There are so many different aspects.

Firstly, teams and riders need to help themselves. Actively engage on social media, create content, create interaction, create demand for information.

There dfoes need to be more media coverage and what I mentioned above can help this. A lot of sites/papers/magazines can’t afford to send staff to every race so by giving them the information that can make a huge different.
    More television time to attract sponsors etc.

How do you feel about situations like the Tour of Flanders where the Mens and Womens race is held on the same day so the infrastructure was there - but they still dont broadcast the womens race live?

Look, I frankly think it’s ridiculous but I don’t know the ins and outs of it either. I’m assuming the major factor preventing the races from being filmed is money. So we’re back to creating demand and interest.

Did the Women feel any difference in races like the Womens Tour in Britain which was broadcast?

Absolutely. The public support was huge and you could see it with the crowds coming out every day. I read somewhere that the town centres involved in hosting the tour made back what they put in, or more. I think this shows with media coverage a huge women’s cycling is just as much of a draw card as men’s cycling.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 20:43 by L'arri »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 19:49 »
    As a Member of HTC

do you think that team shutting down was a big step backwards for the sport?

Is Vos being so good good or Bad for the future ?
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 19:50 »
    And a question from myself for a change as it fits nicely with the ones we just had:

We've had some questions on how the UCI can promote women’s cycling, and what broadcasters should be doing. But what can we, as the fans, do? How can we help make the women's side of the sport bigger?
  • ReplyReply

•