Q & A Sessions > Chloe Hosking Q&A - Pre-interview Questions and Discussion
collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2495
This Q&A is now live <-- Post new questions there.

This is the thread where you can post your questions to Chloe in advance of the actual interview, in case you're not around during. Other comments, discussion, or anything else related to this can also be posted here.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 18:59 by L'arri »

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    Have you felt any impact in the women's peloton of Brian Cookson's UCI presidency? What role do you think the UCI president should take in driving the women's sport forward?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    If you could pick three aspects from the Men's side of the sport, and transfer or replicate them on the women's side of the sport what would they be?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    And to make this even more interesting ;) The article we'll write this up on will be published not only here but also on Velofocus, a leading women's cycling website. This will get the interview a lot more exposure. So make sure your questions are interesting and they just might appear in that article :)
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
    Is there any big role model you look up towards?
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    Finishing bottles in the women's peloton? - extremely rare or standard opertatng procedure?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6510
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I was spectating at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, a hard race usually run in poor weather and so characterful that I try never to miss an edition.

In this year's edition, the Paterberg was exclusive to the women's parcours, and the peloton had an unusual mix of riders: the absolute best riding alongside much less experienced local talent.

As it transpired, this was the critical moment of the day and Lizzie Armitstead had just detonated the race such that behind her, certain individuals expressed a sort of desperation at having missed the move.

As exhausted riders started to put feet down on the climb, I among other spectators put down my camera and jumped into the thick of the race to steady and push those in trouble.

I witnessed some pretty strong scenes and even stronger language between some of them. Perhaps the worst of all from one particular individual in this photo I took moments before jumping in ... ;)

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I have never seen anything like that in all the races I've attended, regardless of gender. I was quite disturbed by this experience and the memory of it is still fresh in my mind.

So, apart from the demands of the racing itself, do you need to have a pretty tough character to survive in the women's peloton?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 23:10 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    ^^ theres a question somewhere :D

Q/ How much is technology finding its way into the womens sport. Do you have specific TT testing, are riders using power metres (I wont mention Osymetric chainrings) electronic shifting etc. Or is the womens side very much about just riding the bike.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    ^^ theres a question somewhere :D

I am front-loading the question a little bit because - and I do hesitate to make such tedious comparisons - when there's a hold-up among the men, nobody really loses their rag with each other. Or that Suisse sprint footage: lots of pushing and shoving but no out-and-out hatemongering.

But this... there was some pretty electric attitude in there. It was kind of scary to be standing in the middle of it. I wanted to know if that was likely to have been an isolated incident or whether the competitiveness of these riders is always thus, where phrases like "do or die" do not seem so redundant. :)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    awesome stuff guys.

:cool
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    During Charlie Walsh's time as head of cycling at the AIS there were a lot of issues in terms of "selected" rider development, where certain athletes were obviously favored over others in the system. This seems to have happened almost arbitrarily with some superior athetes being almost squeezed out while other - arguably inferior - athletes were given much better support and even preferential treatment.

Is this something that you were exposed to during your development and is this something unique AIS or have you heard of similar issues in high performance programs overseas?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10904
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Please note guys the pre interview questions are really for those that cannot be here on the night, or perhaps like laz's question.

We want all to be involved, hence this thread but please don't ask here and then forget. Get involved on the night Chloe and anyone else we get have given up there time for us, so I hope there be many questions asked on the night. Iam getting my list together ;)

so pre questions are brilliant if real life is planned or time zones are not in your favor or a question is an essay, keep them coming if that is the case. If you are going to be here which I hope lots will be get the list together to bombard Chloe with on the night :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:59 by just some guy »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    Campy asks, What is the typical "veloroom" in a one week race
    https://twitter.com/Campy007/status/482445834328764416
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 13:59 by Dim »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I am curious to know how pro women manage the menstrual cycle during a busy racing season. I have been asked on several occasions by women with whom I've been out on rides "how it works for the pros" and I have found myself unable to answer beyond speculation.

I can imagine that the contraceptive pill is one, perhaps rather drastic solution but I would expect there to be a lot of physiological effects associated with that and not all helpful. Or is it instead a question of altering the pattern to suit a particular schedule? Seems like a complicated issue in any case.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    More questions from Twitter:

Velofocus asks "what's your dream recovery routine if you had it all? #askchloe”"

https://twitter.com/velofocus/status/483667729975898112

Braking the limit asks "I'd like to #askchloe how to find the drive & discipline to get through disappointing race results or a race injury?"

https://twitter.com/brakingthelimit/status/483661738621927424
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 14:01 by Dim »

Sean

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 2
    It's sad to me that two of the best women's races, Giro Rosa & Thüringen are effectively going 'head to head' with the races being run back-to-back. With opportunities for sprinters drying up long before the Giro Rosa is won do you think many sprinter-types might leave the Giro early to race Thüringen?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Do you think the UCI is doing enough for Womens cycling?

Do you think Brian Cookson has done anything to improve the situation for women?

What do you think needs to happen?   What do we need to do to grow Womens Cycling?

How do you feel about situations like the Tour of Flanders where the Mens and Womens race is held on the same day so the infrastructure was there - but they still dont broadcast the womens race live?

Did the Women feel any difference in races like the Womens Tour in Britain which was broadcast?   
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    also we might like to post some links to her blogs

like this one on Gent wevelgem

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/04/inside-line-chloe-hoskings-gent-wevelgem/

its a nice read
  • ReplyReply

• LD

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 1
    Do you feel that there is a lower tolerance for aggressiveness and physical contact in the women's peloton than in the men's peloton (especially in the sprint)?  As a female racer I've noticed that there seems to be a difference in the lower level racing but I'm wondering if the difference fades at the professional level. 
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Megster asks "@chloe_hosking @Velorooms How many days in  advance do you like to arrive at a  location for a race?  #askcloe"

https://twitter.com/farcryhomestead/status/484362154616049664
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Brilliant whoever did this
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6797
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I sadly won't be around for the live Q&A, but I have a question anyway.

A few years back (don't remember the exact year), there was a Giro Rosa that went to the Gavia. From other editions, I recall the Stelvio and the Monte Grappa.
    This year there aren't any famous, hard climbs like that on the parcours. Chloe, what do the riders prefer? I imagine that racing on these mythical climbs must be special, but also very exhausting. What's your personal preference, and what's the preference of the women's peloton in general?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Recent Topics