Q & A Sessions > Interview Series for Velorooms - edition 1: Eduard Michael Grosu
collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

myth1908

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 81
Eduard Michael Grosu (21 years old / Vini Fantini-Nippo

Stats

So, here goes my first interview for Velorooms.com. The romanian rider Eduard Michael Grosu told me his story as a rider.

Velorooms: When have you started cycling, and why?
Eduard Grosu: I’ve started when i was 13 years old (2005). It’s because my father was a rider, multiple romanian champion and he also has a cycling team (Torpedo-Vectra Zarnesti). Also, when I was just a kid my dad was still racing.

Ok, so your dad made you do it. Made you a rider, instead of a footballer?
No, no! It was my choice 100%. All I ever heard was about cycling and all I’ve wanted to do is to be a rider. I’ve wanted, since then, to have better results than my father. Again, I’ve picked cycling.

So, you’ve started at 13 years old. Go further.
It was 2005. After two years I’ve went to France and I’ve spent one year in there. In 2008 I was back to Romania and 2010 found me in Switzerland. Moved to Italy for training and signed with teams from there in 2012.

Tell me how Vini Fantini-Nippo found you. Did you sent them your resume and asked them to test you? Did they noticed you?
No, I haven’t sent them my resume and I haven’t asked for trials. They had scouters at Tour of Romania 2013, and they approached me after my stage win. We’ve been in talks back then (summer of 2013), but things remained that way. Later, in december 2013, the manager sent me a contract, I agreed terms and signed on 28 december for one year.

I know you’ve been very close to sign Lampre-Merida in november 2013.
Well, kind of, yea. Actually, I was in training with them during november-december 2013. With the 2nd team of Lampre, but everything was unsure. It was some sort of a boot camp, I did well, but things were uncertain. Later that month, in december, I’ve signed with Vini Fantini-Nippo.

Ok. But why just for one year?
It’s because Vini Fantini-Nippo is a pro-continental team in Asia, and only Continental in Europe. That’s why we could not do Il Giro. From 2015 they will be pro-continental in Europe too. It was like signing with a new team anyway, even if I had a 3 years contract.

Your contract is almost expired. How do you see your future?
At the moment I have an offer from Vini Fantini-Nipo from 2015 for two years. It’s on hold and I will think about it untill the end of august. If anything from a World Tour team occours, I will go for it. However, I know i have options for 2015.

You had very good results this year. It’s because…?
Well, now I have a very good team to ride with. We have a schedule, very good rough training sessions and so forth.

Your race calendar for this year was made for your skills?
Yes, ofcourse. They’ve picked the perfect race program for me and for my capabilities. It matter alot, having people to look out for you.

Peole, at least the ones who are following you, are not seeing you as a rider to do massive sprint against other natural sprinters. What you you think?
I haven’t aswell, untill this year. Before 2014, I’ve always tried to break the leading group, so we would have a finish in a few riders. But back then I didn’t had any team-support. Now, things have changed. This year I actually had a train going on for the sprint, which was great. And now I think I can do massive sprints.

What do you think you have to improve to be in the world tour and fight with the giants?
At the moment i’m improving alot. I can’t name a weakness. The traininers from Vini Fantini-Nippo are amazed sometimes, when I do test. They haven’t found any limits at the moment. At Tour de Slovenie, I’ve lost to Elia Viviani at photo-finish. To bad the track didn’t had two more meters. At the last corner, I was 8th. Viviani and Matthews were 3rd and 4th. I overcome 7th positions and almost had it. Anyway, I might wanna improve my climbing, but if I do that I will lose from my power explosion at the sprint… but I guess all the big sprinters have done it.

Eduard, I wish you best of luck in your career. Now, the last thing, tell me if you ever had problems during the races for a thread named “ The expulsion of bodily fluids
Ha-ha. I had, ofcourse. Several times, but the biggest one was in 2011. It was my first year as a U23 rider. In Tour of Romania, all the riders had fish for dinner. Maybe some didn't had, I can't tell that. Something went very wrong because many of us had diarrhea the next day. I’ve stopped once, twice, three times... At some point I figured: damn, the peloton must be very far now. I’ve went back to the bike and told myself that I will quit if it happens again. Ofcourse it did and I’ve abandoned the race :D. And it was not only me. We were like 25-30 people who had to quit that day. Imagine the view during that stage.

PS: Sorry. Dind't knew how to add links for his PCS and Photos
PPS: Forgot to add one question. I've asked what he will do next:
I'm going with Vini Fantini-Nippo at the Qinghai Lake in China. 8 days tour. It's 2.0 UCI with World Tour teams in there. As I said, in Asia we are a pro-continental team.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 22:50 by myth1908 »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6354
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Good interview. Seems like a cool guy and nice that he took the time to give full answers.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6510
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    This boy is destined for bigger things but I thought Myth's interview brought out something of that messy time when pro teams are interested but there's a lot of waiting and prevarication. Sometimes I think it sounds too much like movie auditions!

Great interview, Myth. This is pretty exciting stuff. It's good to get a look at how things really work beyond the smooth surfaces of our sport. Chapeau!  :P
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    I didnt actually realise that Fantini Nippo retained pro conti status in Asia, but only continental status in Europe. In fact I didnt even realise that was possible.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    I didnt actually realise that Fantini Nippo retained pro conti status in Asia, but only continental status in Europe. In fact I didnt even realise that was possible.

Wow, neither did I. How does that work?
  • ReplyReply

• myth1908

• Domestic Rider
    Wow, neither did I. How does that work?
    I don't know and I've just called him :D. He said: "I don't know how it's possible and how things work, but that's how it is. We have on our equip Asia Tour, like the World Tour teams have World Tour printed on their equip. And I also know that from 2015 Vini Fantini-Nippo will become pro-continental team. Will register as one, and all the contracts have to be remade".

I don't get it either :)
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2495
    Nice interview myth, well done!

The bodily fluids question needs to become a standard in all interviews I think ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Nice interview myth, well done!

The bodily fluids question needs to become a standard in all interviews I think ;)

I second that. Motion passed.

Literally. ;)
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    Especially to tinkoff- he must have some great stories from the Siberian days

• ReplyReply

• oliveira

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 78
    Very nice indeed Myth!

Grosu is already one of my fav riders! I'm leading the Youth CQ game thanks to him as a unique pick, so I've been following his season with interest and he's making great results. Very good to see he has the ambition to go WorldTour soon. Best of luck for him and thank you Myth for this Q&A.
  • ReplyReply

• myth1908

• Domestic Rider
    i gave eduard the link to this iview. so if anyone has anymore questions write them down and him/or i will reply.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    If Eduard is reading this; did the scandals which the Vini Fantini team were beset with at the Giro 2013, ever cross your mind when you considered signing for the team?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    Eduard has just finished 3rd in the Romanian Nationals :woohoo
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Congrats Eduard on a great result in the Nationals

:woohoo
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6797
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    It isn't.
    #fantini Vini Fantini-Nippo are registered in *jp Japan, and therefore considered part of the Asia Tour. Hence, they may put the Asia Tour logo on their jersey, as European teams may put the Europe Tour logo on their jersey etc.
    The team is registered as Continental through the Japanese federation, end of story.

What I think Grosu means is that outside Europe, Conti teams are allowed to participate in HC races such as Langkawi and Qinghai - in Europe the HC races are open only to Conti teams of the country the race is held in.
    Also, as far as I know there will be no WT teams in Qinghai. There will be five ProConti teams, however:
    #netappendura #uhc #drapac #fluo #rusvelo

Great interview, myth1908! :cool
    Looking forward to have a chat with you in just over two weeks' time. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    If Eduard is reading this; did the scandals which the Vini Fantini team were beset with at the Giro 2013, ever cross your mind when you considered signing for the team?

same sponsor different team.  Eduard is racing for the team that Arredondo was on last year not Il Killer and Santa.  No particular skeletons in the closets for the japansese team as far as I know.

great interview @myth1908
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

Recent Topics