collapse

benotti69

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 215
Mark Cavendish thread
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:58 »
Interview: Mark Cavendish on David Millar, the Tour, the OIympics and becoming a father

http://road.cc/content/news/57039-interview-mark-cavendish-david-millar-tour-oiympics-and-becoming-father

for those who are interested.

I couldn't find a Cav thread so started this!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 17:22 by L'arri, Reason: Change icon »
    "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 239
    Re: Mark Cavendish thread
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 18:47 »
    Thanks for the link. I can't believe we didn't have a Cav thread yet!

Most of his wins are boring but he's a great athlete and I've found him a lot more likable the past year or so. I think he's grown up a lot. I don't mind athlete's being arrogant when they can back it up. I still tend to cheer when he gets dropped though :D

It will be interesting to see how much support he really does get at the Tour vs. what they give Wiggins. They can't do everything. Cav's shown before that he can win without a train. It would be so much more fun if rode the Tour McEwen style!
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:39 »
    Heck those four lost kilos could mean that he could win the tour. 5000/1 odds are tempting.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 16:07 »
    Heck those four lost kilos could mean that he could win the tour. 5000/1 odds are tempting.

;D

Certainly seems to have made a big difference to his ability to hang on in the hills.  Hope it hasn't effected the top end speed too much.  Only time will tell...
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 22:56 »
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE CAV THREAD

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-downplays-milan-san-remo-chances

The Manx Missile is lighter than ever but perhaps not as Watt-tacular as he has been in previous years. He has always said that he never trains his sprint, he just trains endurance and climbing because sprinting comes so naturally to him. Might be time to change that regime if the watts keep falling away.

Despite his feathery lightness he thinks that the pace at which the early climes are currently being raced in Milan - San Remo put it out of his reach. I am inclined to agree with him, but I hope he still lines up. all it takes is a bit of luck and a lull in the action after Manie and he can be right back in the action.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2046
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 23:01 »
    He was marked/ridden out of the race last year. He does not want that happening again so is playing down his chances  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2489
    « Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 23:16 »
    If someone like Nibali or Cancellara is planning an attack, they will make the race hard and Cavendish will be amongst the first to drop back. And since it's Nibali and Cancellara, we can be reasonably sure at least one of them will try something.

But with a better team than ever, apparently lighter than ever, and perhaps most importantly Chavanel and in particular Boonen to mark attacks and scare off some people, perhaps Cavendish does have a chance. I'm not writing him off.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 858
    « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 23:16 »
    There is probably an element of gamesmanship in what he said, but I think he really believes it. I will be very surprised if we don't see race-splitting pace on Manie this year at M-SR.

The REAL advantage for OPQS this year will be that after the split, any of their guys who are in the front group will have a completely free ride because of their 'leader' being stuck in the back group.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 23:22 »
    But with a better team than ever, apparently lighter than ever, and perhaps most importantly Chavanel and in particular Boonen to mark attacks and scare off some people, perhaps Cavendish does have a chance. I'm not writing him off.
    But they won't be marking attacks. Boonen desperately wants to win MSR, he won't want any distractions from some guy who doesn't even believe he can win it. If Boonen's interests happen to coincide with Cav's then so be it but unless that happens I don't see Cav benefiting much from his team in comparison to last year where he had a very strong Sky team with an unbelievably strong Mathew Hayman, and bar I think EBH and someone else, attempting to tow him all of 50km or so.
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 23:41 »
    He was marked/ridden out of the race last year. He does not want that happening again so is playing down his chances  :)

As i recall he was blown out of the race before they even started racing last year. Like if it was a twin brother who turned up and not him.
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

mc_mountain

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 921
    « Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 23:49 »
    My initial thought was sounds like 2009 type spin to me.

If he can get over La Maine in contact then OPQS will look incredibly good. people to mark attacks and then the quickest man in the peloton.  However its probably good for him to approach the race with less self imposed pressure.

Something else that crossed my mind was perhaps he is lobbying RCS for a more sprinter friendly parcours in the future.  If I hear him quoted saying its not the sprinters' classic anymore, I'll be sure of it.  He may be trying to leverage his presence (and the ability for RCS to use him to promote the race) for a more favourable parcours.

BTW he states in the article he'll 'still race it'

@the hitch agreed, he is potentially taking advantage of that to underplay his chances.
  • ReplyReply
  • Youth CQ Game originator.

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3823
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 00:21 »
    yeah I think its just gamesmanship.

This year OPQS have a fantastic classics squad and its far better for him to be honest than having a whole team dedicated to just him.

Last year the whole field dedicated themselves to riding to stop him joining back on once he got dropped on La Manie ... This year, OPQS wont ride like that - they have lots of legitimate options and wont have every team trying to ride against just one rider.

I still dont think he will win - but its a nicely balanced squad they have.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6451
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:31 »
    MSR has been a completely different and far superior competition in the last two editions. I want to see more like that, rather than a race with the sort of character that would end in a Cavendish win.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

esafosfina

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 322
    « Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 13:25 »
    Personally I think just having Cav in the MSR squad is a good thing... It places a worrying doubt in other teams' minds, and could change the style of racing... and the bonus for OPQS is simply that if they have Boonen and Cav at the final it's a move that doubles the chances of victory.

What I'd love to see if Boonen or Cav don't get up, is for Chavanel to attack over the top of the Poggio, descend like a maniac and stay away for the win... highly unlikely, granted, but I love his style.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Sturgess, don't you dare get off that bike" - Sean Kelly, Nokere, 1989.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 13:37 »
    Personally I think just having Cav in the MSR squad is a good thing... It places a worrying doubt in other teams' minds, and could change the style of racing... and the bonus for OPQS is simply that if they have Boonen and Cav at the final it's a move that doubles the chances of victory.

What I'd love to see if Boonen or Cav don't get up, is for Chavanel to attack over the top of the Poggio, descend like a maniac and stay away for the win... highly unlikely, granted, but I love his style.

Quoted for the truth - the bolded part
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 13:46 »
    Agreed, if there's anyone on that team I'd like to see winning a major classic this year it's Chavanel. But I do think Boonen and Cavendish can profit from eachothers presence: Boonen and the rest of the team will not have to work in case of a split since they have Cavendish behind, while the presence of Boonen might prove to be such a distraction for the lead group in such a split that Cav can have an easier job pulling back.

Same problem still applies though: if guys like Nibali, Cancellara, Gilbert or even Sagan tell their teams to make it a hard race, it's hard to see Cavendish stay in the peloton.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6728
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 16:35 »
    Totally agree. Chavanel is one of the (sadly few) Frenchmen to stop being focussed on the Tour only, and look where it has gotten him. In my opinion, too few riders try something in MSR - we had Hoogerland on the Cipressa the last years (not this year, alas :(), and then one or two guys on the lower Poggio, with the final move (at least last year) being three "big names".
    If you're a subtopper, and you're still in there, you should go for it (OK, I'm not having to do the racing myself): If it doesn't work, you'll have shown yourself as being able to attack in the final of the longest cycling classic there is, and if it works, you may just get one of cycling's biggest scalps - or at least a podium/top-10, with all that that entails.
    Luckily Offredo is back, we can be sure he'll be there. And he's improved every year so far in 2010 and 2011; who knows what he can do this year?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 10710
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 17:54 »
    Cavendish after winning Stage 2 of Tirreno Adriatico last year...

...and on the podium today:

can he be in top shape for Milan - Sanremo next week? I doubt it, to be honest
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    « Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 18:21 »
    Pretty damning words about Sky in his interview today.  Still, good to see him smiling again, and I like him, so good to see him with the team support that I think he deserves. 

Re MSR, wasn't he caught behind a crash last year on La Manie, rather than getting dropped (along with lots of others...?)  If he can get to the base of the Poggio, then who knows.  It will need to be a very strong group that gets away and is able to stay away from the peloton after the Poggio - particularly if Cav and Greipel are still in contention.  For OPQS though, with Cav and Boonen, I think they can approach the race without much pressure.  I wouldn't class either as a 'top' favourite (Canc, Sagan, Gilbert - if he's riding? etc.), and so they won't have much pressure to control the race.  Keep Cav near the front and go from there...?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1251
    « Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 18:34 »

can he be in top shape for Milan - Sanremo next week? I doubt it, to be honest
    Well he just managed to keep up with Tony Martin today and even took some pulls late on, I'd say he was looking pretty good.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 19:03 »
    Re MSR, wasn't he caught behind a crash last year on La Manie, rather than getting dropped (along with lots of others...?)

I think last year he was just dropped, wasn't it 2011 when there was the crash in the descent of La Manie which split the field in two?

Well he just managed to keep up with Tony Martin today and even took some pulls late on, I'd say he was looking pretty good.

he was looking good, indeed, but he looks like he has at least 5kg more than last year, and he still couldn't make it over the climbs. Not having the pressure to lead the team is an advantage though, that's true.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 19:15 »
    Not sure how much to base his shape on, when going on two different pics from different angles though.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 19:19 »
    no problem, we can take those picture instead

• ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 19:40 »
    I think last year he was just dropped, wasn't it 2011 when there was the crash in the descent of La Manie which split the field in two?

he was looking good, indeed, but he looks like he has at least 5kg more than last year, and he still couldn't make it over the climbs. Not having the pressure to lead the team is an advantage though, that's true.
    If the climbers go for it, there's nothing Cavendish can do however little he weighs. His only chance is that they mess about enough to end it in a bunch sprint and I think he is more likely to be there this year than last.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 21:36 »
    If the climbers go for it, there's nothing Cavendish can do however little he weighs. His only chance is that they mess about enough to end it in a bunch sprint and I think he is more likely to be there this year than last.
    He did his bit to reduce his odds with some comments about its not his this year but I believe that the other teams will still go hard early on as it does suit teams such as Cannondale/Astana/Radioshack/Sky or whomever to make the race harder to get rid off sprinters (not necessarily even Cav) and set it up for a finale on the Poggio or a small group at the finish as their riders will excel more if the race is harder.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    « Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 21:51 »
    He did his bit to reduce his odds with some comments about its not his this year but I believe that the other teams will still go hard early on as it does suit teams such as Cannondale/Astana/Radioshack/Sky or whomever to make the race harder to get rid off sprinters (not necessarily even Cav) and set it up for a finale on the Poggio or a small group at the finish as their riders will excel more if the race is harder.
    True. But then you always expect teams to make it too hard for the sprinters and quite often, for whatever reason, they just don't.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3823
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 23:41 »
    last year he was just dropped - no crash.  But the teams on the front went for it until it was clear he couldnt make it back.

And I think that will be the case again - teams know that if he is there, they have no chance, so they will band together to drop him early so that they can make the race how they want. 

I would have said he looks to be in ok shape though. 
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 23:52 »
    yeah, I'm not saying he is not in shape, it's just that he was so lean last year at the start of Milan Sanremo and this does not seem to be the case this year. But maybe it's just a different approach to reach form for the classics (whatever which race exactly)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 23:10 »
    True. But then you always expect teams to make it too hard for the sprinters and quite often, for whatever reason, they just don't.
    True, but I think the peloton have set up their stall against the sprinters this year, even more so than last year. I think it is the interest of too many teams to make the race as hard as possible.
  • ReplyReply

• Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 23:35 »
    Plus, last year in particular will have given a lot of teams hope. There, it was proven that the pure sprinters can be dropped early, and that attacks from the Poggio can still be succesful. It will take something very special for Cav to be able to hang on here.
  • ReplyReply

•