collapse

Jamsque

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 858
Re: Mark Cavendish thread
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 00:12 »
CAV WATCH

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/537717/mark-cavendish-and-omega-pharma-team-boss-unhappy-with-lack-of-sprint-support.html

Weather report from CavTown: STORMY!

Cav is peeed! Patrick Lefevere is peeed! Gert Steegmans has no balls!

It seems all is not well at OPQS, Cav went to get more support but it seems the support he is getting is not even up to the same standard of shakey sort-of leadout he got at Sky. Lack of commitment to the Cav cause at Milan - San Remo and Gent - Wevelgem (where Quickstep had other cards to play) is perhaps understandable, but failing to deliver him to the sprint in the dead-flat Scheldeprijs is embarrassing.

The Giro is now only just around the corner and Grand Tour sprints are usually Cav's bread and butter. Can some balls be found to lead him out in time?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6451
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 14:08 »
    Some may think I was premature calling this as early as last month but as the season rumbles on, Cavendish is getting more desperate. He can't believe it himself, the way this is working out. And in my opinion, we have barely started here.

OPQS should have been the perfect squad for him - all those old HTC faces - but the shiny edges are starting to curl. This is a squad that can't or won't ride a train.

The overhead from the Scheldeprijs shows just how much ground he made up in the last 100m or so. He would easily have won with better positioning.

I'm not really a fan of the guy, his style or sprinters generally but this is talent squandering on a jawdropping scale.

Cavendish is still for now the best sprinter in the world, he is evidently in good shape (got over the hills at MSR and GW for the first time in years) and he's hardly crashed this year.

He ought to have had a lot more wins by now, yet OPQS - despite a lot of great potential leadout men - cannot seem to get it together for what must have been far and away their most expensive purchase in the off-season.

If I was Lefevere, I'd be fuming too. This is a matter of numbers and for once, you can't really blame Cavendish himself. It's bonkers that he is now well embarked on a second season of whatever when younger guys are clearly making big strides now. His days at the top of the game are numbered.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6728
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 17:15 »
    What I don't get is why it doesn't work.
    He has his favourite DS (Brian Holm) and five ex-HTC teammates (Grabsch, Martin, Rabon & the Velits brothers).
    The only pieces of the puzzle that are missing are Eisel and Renshaw, really. Surely, they can't be that important?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's Pro Cycling Correspondent
    2018 Synergy Baku Press Officer; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 17:33 »
    What I don't get is why it doesn't work.
    He has his favourite DS (Brian Holm) and five ex-HTC teammates (Grabsch, Martin, Rabon & the Velits brothers).
    The only pieces of the puzzle that are missing are Eisel and Renshaw, really. Surely, they can't be that important?

how many were at the last race and the last 2 were the 3km - drop off guys and that is where the issue was.

Robbie´s book spends pages on the issue´s with Big Gert - someone UPS a book to Cav
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #34 on: April 04, 2013, 20:27 »
    how many were at the last race and the last 2 were the 3km - drop off guys and that is where the issue was.

Robbie´s book spends pages on the issue´s with Big Gert - someone UPS a book to Cav

I was thinking that when i saw he was having difficulties. Robbie implies that Gert may not be the brightest spark and struggles with positioning. He said it worked best when Gert trusted Robbie to just tell him exactly when to move and where.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 00:25 »
    Didn't he do some 'epic' lead out work for Robbie in the '05 or '06 TdF(may have been '04). Robbie said something along the lines of 'he's like a high speed train which stops 100m from the finish and then the rest is upto me'. Cav just needs to show Steegmans some video of him leading out Robbie.

Ok I can't remember so a proper question. Do teams nowadays spend anytime working on their sprint train during team camps?

definitely, in a similar way to every club run on a sunday ending in a sprint they tend to finish their training rides with a 2 or 4km full train run in. Have certainly seen video of the sky guys practicing and would be shocked if Quickstep needed the same

and you are right with Gert, it was his positioning and timing that was out, Robbie claimed that once he taught him to just follow his commands he was awesome. but as with everything he says must be taken with a slight pinch of salt
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 00:49 »
    I think we're talking about something simpler than positioning in the finale here. The bare minimum you need is someone to bring him up inside 2km to go and let him get in the wheels and OPQS don't even have that right now.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 09:57 »
    I think we're talking about something simpler than positioning in the finale here. The bare minimum you need is someone to bring him up inside 2km to go and let him get in the wheels and OPQS don't even have that right now.

Keisse, Fenn, Steegmans, Grabsch, Maes, Rabon, Terpstra, Vermote. All fast guys for the finale. If OPQS brings even a single rider to a GT who can't ride for Cavendish, then many fans will start to see it ever after as a team with more money than sense.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 10:34 »
    From what I've seen so far this season, OPQS *do* have a decent train, but it is going flat out far too early, leaving Cav with no support when he needs it most.

Why put your guys on the front with 17km to go? Wait until 7km to go, and then trash everyone. Easy - haven't they played PCM?
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 481
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 14:41 »
    With better support it's not unreasonable to suggest Cav could have at least a podium and maybe a win in MSR, a decent result in G-W and a win in Scheldeprijs. As it is, there's nothing, and it's not like the rest of the squad have been winning left, right and centre either.

Cav was having lead-out issues last year too, especially with Geraint Thomas. I wonder if the problem might be Cav's handling of his domestiques. It's all very well blaming them but, as a leader, he needs to take some responsibility for the situation.

Someone in OPQS needs to figure out where the problem is lying, be it with Cav, his domestiques or the support staff and have a pretty frank conversation with whoever is most at fault for this situation. If Cav isn't communicating well enough, he needs to be told. If Gert Steegmans (or whoever) isn't listening or isn't delivering, they need to be told. If the problem is in the team car, that the OPQS boys are doing too much work at the wrong time as a result of team order, then that needs highlighting.

Cav to Argos-Shimano?  :)
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2046
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 20:54 »
    So how many stages do we expect Cav to get this year at the Giro?

In terms of how many are for him, well not as many as last year and if he finds himself experiencing similar adventures to last year then his tally may very be rather low. Still the sprinter quality is not great and he should expect to beat many of these sprinters in his sleep. His leadout will be extremely interesting, a bunch  inexperienced guys and some old heads all of whom have talent but seem to lack the co-ordination of some of Cav's previous trains..

Also I was wondering how much Cav is missing Bernie?
    I have not seen it mentioned much (admittedly I am halfway through a Cav feature) but surely it must be tough for him to have lost his right hand man?

• ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3823
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 01:11 »
    yep, pretty sure he misses Bernie a whole lot, they seemed very close - and while friendships are no doubt maintained, its very different when you arent rooming together and riding together all the time.

Cav desperately needs a better leadout guy - will be interesting to see if they (OPQS) can get their act together over the Giro.  There is plenty of oppurtunities, and not a great deal of top class sprint competition so if he gets it right he should win a truckload.

If they get it wrong its going to be ugly though  :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 08:44 »
    yep, pretty sure he misses Bernie a whole lot, they seemed very close - and while friendships are no doubt maintained, its very different when you arent rooming together and riding together all the time.

Cav desperately needs a better leadout guy - will be interesting to see if they (OPQS) can get their act together over the Giro.  There is plenty of oppurtunities, and not a great deal of top class sprint competition so if he gets it right he should win a truckload.

If they get it wrong its going to be ugly though  :D

According to Cavendish himself, he will be looking to Matteo Trentin as his last man.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-takes-on-giro-ditalia-without-petacchi

Trentin is just back from a scaphoid fracture which he sustained in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, which now seems like forever ago.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 11:00 »
    I see Cav winning three or four stages at this Giro and ending up quite a way short of the points jersey, which ought to end up going to Evans or Nibali.

I don't think OPQS is going to be super strong setting up the sprints but I think they will be good enough to get Cav in the right place. What they won't be good enough to do is pull back moves and set up the sprint on any of the stages with a flat finish but a climb inside 50km to go.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 13:21 »
    I wonder if the problem might be Cav's handling of his domestiques. It's all very well blaming them but, as a leader, he needs to take some responsibility for the situation.

See, I think he does. When the train has put him in a good position and he hasn't finished it off, he's openly grateful to the team, and apologetic.

I think Cav is a much stronger rider than 2 years ago... he got through the Giro last year, won ZLM and was right up there in MSR this season. He isn't as reliant on a train as he might once have been. Get him 1500m from the line with a flat run in, and he'll win.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 11:28 »
    Big news for Cav in 2014 is no Milan - SanRemo, in fact he says he may never ride it again. With the course being progressively Nibble-ized it makes sense for him to direct his focus elsewhere.  Here's hoping this translates in to a better build-up for the Giro and perhaps even some success at Gent-Wevelgem.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 18:26 »
    Success in the classics period would be nice, but highly unlikely.

I advise he goes off and find some flat Belgian non cobbled race and rack up the wins there, to ensure he beats Kittel to the top of the wins table at the end of season/

There are too many variables in the classics for a sprinter like him, unless he is in top form and the race plays out very nicely. Also it becomes progressively harder for him to win with standout riders like Cancellara and Sagan and potentially Boonen and maybe even someone like Vanmarke/Stybar this year.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 21:52 »
    Big news for Cav in 2014 is no Milan - SanRemo, in fact he says he may never ride it again.

May 2013 - Boonen: I may never ride Tour again
    Nov 2013 - Boonen: I want to return to Tour

OPQS BS ;) Cav should go out and win some other stuff though.

Like the Gent-Wevelgem title he's been threatening since forever. And he almost managed to get over the Kemmelberg in the lead group a couple of seasons ago. It was almost heartbreaking.

But srsly, the pressure is on to multiply the wins, as has been noted above. He might not get over this new climb and targeting one race is no way as desirable as a fistful of sh*t small races.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6728
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 09:31 »
    Exclusive Mark Cavendish interview: 'My whole year's about Harrogate'
    It's a week old, but the subject of the interview is still five months away.

Getting the yellow jersey in his mother's hometown - who wouldn't want that?
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 12:21 »
    Exclusive Mark Cavendish interview: 'My whole year's about Harrogate'
    It's a week old, but the subject of the interview is still five months away.

Getting the yellow jersey in his mother's hometown - who wouldn't want that?

I wouldn't want that... my mother's hometown is Croydon
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #50 on: March 12, 2014, 18:33 »
    Cavendish: It's so rewarding to stand on the podium together

Cav is one of the most transparent riders out there. As a rule of thumb.. whenever he praises his team mates he is happy and satisfied. He has been outshone in the early season by his two German rivals, but this race presents the first big race test and what better way than to start it in the blue and with a leadout consisting of Pettachi and Renshaw.

Cavendish will start stage two from San Vincenzo to Cascina wearing the leader's blue jersey and is widely expected to challenge for victory again if the stage ends in a sprint finish.

He faces some serious competition from Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) and Andre Greipel (Lotto Belisol) but has Alessandro Petacchi and Mark Renshaw to give him a high-speed lead-out.

Cavendish admitted he is not yet at his very best and deflected expectations to win by pointing that Omega Pharma-QuickStep also want to win the overall classification at Tirreno-Adriatico.

"I'm excited to start Tirreno-Adriatico with this team," he said.

"I'm lucky to have Renshaw and Petacchi as my final men this year, they're two of the most experienced guys, the most intelligent guys when it comes to a sprint. But we've got a great team here for the whole race. We want to win the sprints, we wanted to win the team time trial, in the mountains and win the GC. We've got Kwiatkowski, who is in great form, and the team has good morale, so across the whole seven days, we'd like to be successful in every way."

And a little incident..

Television images captured the moment when Tony Martin gave Cavendish a slight push. However the race judges decided that the push was not worthy of any kind of disciplinary action.

Cavendish explained that Martin pushed him after he lost his chain due to a long-standing problem with his SRAM gears.

"The problem is when we turned left on the straight road after the descent. After a corner, you want to put the power down," he said.

"And as always happens, my chain came off. It's a problem with SRAM, which we've talked about many times. So my chain came off, my foot came out and Tony was behind me at 50km/h. He has to come up to not go over my back wheel.

"It didn’t make us go faster, it was really to stop us crashing," said Cavendish. "I don’t think anything happened, it was to stop us falling off."
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 20:47 »
    Cavendish savours Omega Pharma-Quick Step's success at Tirreno-Adriatico

"I'm super, super happy," Cavendish said in the winner's press conference. "We'll celebrate tonight and hopefully get another win with our two massive engines Tony Martin and Michal Kwiatkowski tomorrow."

"All the team was fabulous in the finale. We didn’t go too early; Tony went at the front with four kilometres to go, then Kwiatkowski took us into the last corner, then it was Matteo Trentin, Renshaw, Petacchi and then myself."

Cavendish explained how the evolution and specialization of some teams in recent years has made it harder for Omega Pharma-Quick Step to win sprints and target the overall classification in races like Tirreno-Adriatico and the Tour de France. He claimed they are still successful due to the special team spirit in the Belgian squad.

"Omega Pharma-Quick Step is a super strong team but not only in the legs. We're a super group of friends at dinner and on the bus. We just say 'Lets go out and race our bikes'. There's no pressure. We just want to do well. I hadn't felt that for a long time. But now I'm fresh and nice to be back like that. We've got Kwiatkowski and Trentin who are 23 and also a 40-year-old like Petacchi, but we're a group of kids going out racing our bikes."

Cavendish acknowledged that the 'band of brothers' mentality is vital for his own moral and motivation.

"It's obvious that I don't look like a pro and so what I do in my head is very important; my moral is vital," he said.

"When there's a good group around me, when you've got riders who give their everything, their last drop of energy, it's a nice position to be in. I don't want to let them down and want to going and do my best, while still having fun."

"I haven't seen my family for a few weeks now and won't see them until after Milan-San Remo. It'd be difficult if I was away and miserable. It's not great to be away from home but at least I'm not miserable."

He sure needed that...

"I'm fortunate to get one more shot," he said.

"It's not a secret I disagree with the changes. Italian people have a high regard for history and the history of Milan-San Remo. I think that changing the Milan-San Remo route is like getting Banksy to paint the inside of the Pantheon. It changes the whole race."

"When I knew there was a chance of the Pompeiana being taken out, I became totally focused. I've been training specifically for it and losing weight without jeopardizing things for later in the season."

"I know I have to give it a try. I'm a past winner and I step up for big races, I was also top ten last year. As I said if I don’t ride, for sure I'd regret it. We've got lots options in the team with Boonen and even Kwiatkowski. We've got a meeting on Friday and then we'll decide our plans."

Maybe.. maybe not. He raced well last year, considering the conditions and likewise the pressure is off his shoulders this year as well.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1213
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #52 on: September 30, 2015, 15:10 »
    Well, well. In the trxfr thread I posted that I was wondering WHY Cav would move from Etixx to Mtn Qhubeka. I see in this thread we have reasons for dissatisfaction going back at least two years. I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but I thought Etixx had kind of addressed these issues. Of course, in hindsight, I can see maybe they didn't, or didn't do as good a job as they could have.

Looking back at those 2013 comments, I would have to say that makes it seem more likely Cav is looking to finally get the kind of support he had at HighRoad. It always amazed me he went to Sky in the first place. It only seemed logical to me if he decided the money was worth it, and he felt like being on the same team as his old track buddy, Bradley.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    « Reply #53 on: September 30, 2015, 19:50 »
    I am disappointed with this news, I don't think MTN is a very good team and although Cav may have more support in principle in practice the quality of riders at his disposal will be poor relative to OPQS. I have also been consistently appalled by how bad MTN's attempt at a sprint train has been every time they have tried it this year.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10901
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 19:58 »
    I am disappointed with this news, I don't think MTN is a very good team and although Cav may have more support in principle in practice the quality of riders at his disposal will be poor relative to OPQS. I have also been consistently appalled by how bad MTN's attempt at a sprint train has been every time they have tried it this year.

but Cav gets the HTC train back so should be ok
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 868
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #55 on: September 30, 2015, 20:03 »

Agreed. I also can't see how taking Renshaw is going to help either, #etixx lead out has been shoddy all year.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 381
    « Reply #56 on: September 30, 2015, 21:22 »
    but Cav gets the HTC train back so should be ok

:cool

Oh except they've all gone and got 5 years older... Doh!  :o

• ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 04:08 »

Perhaps. But consider this: Farrar, Goss, Eisel, Cummings, Bos, Brammeier, Boasson Hagen, Pauwels. If they can't make a smokin' train, I'll take Donald Duck for my avatar. They have the experience to KNOW how it should be done. Of course, it is a lot like a TTT (its about the team) but with a need for applied smarts and headology - a train has to judge position, timing, etc etc. If they have a good road captain - it is a big help - somebody can shout orders to those who are dumb as a stick.

And I always had to wonder, why, with all the vaunted OPQS / EtQS power, they more frequently blew the train than not. It just didn't seem to happen like it should have. 'Course, coulda been that other trains are there in the mix - and that makes life harder for the those drivin' wheels.

Meh, who knows. I'm still interested in seeing how MTN-Qh do next year.

Just to toss another thot into the stew pot, I've gotten the feeling that Cav has gotten mighty tired of crashing. Some of it was his fault - or the fault of his style - but I think more of it had to do with others being jealous of his line - and not willing to yield a little as would normally be done. In other words - aggressive riding on many sides. And I think he is tired of it. And it isn't something spoken of in public (sfaik). So, it is just a feeling I get from watching events unfold - and I could be way off the mark. Sometimes this kind of intuition is very revealing, and sometimes it is no better than a tinfoil hat.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6203
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 06:17 »

There you go Hiero.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 18:01 »

There you go Hiero.

Hehe! Give us until we see if Mtn can do the train first! Sheesh!  But that's good. I'll copy that down to my hard drive jic.
  • ReplyReply

•