collapse

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Re: RaNT News
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2012, 19:45 »
Fuglsang pretty much guaranteed to leave Radioshack now, or is that the reason they left him out the Tour squad? Sucks for him regardless :(
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #91 on: June 18, 2012, 19:48 »
    Is it possible that Fuglsang withdrew himself and wants no part of it, who wants to be part of a squad not invited to the tour, or if invited who wants to race for three weeks wth your hotel being raided on a nightly basis
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3480
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 00:55 »
    I would guess more that he told Johan to shove it, and he isnt as necessary as the Schlecks to be able to get away with it
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38 »
    I'd guess it's more to do with his transfer situation than him taking a forthright stance about the team, have cyclists ever been such strong wills? He did leave Saxo too, mind, though it wasn't in such a farcical situation.
  • ReplyReply

• FreeWheelin

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 76
    « Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 06:39 »
     Its probably been said already, but good thing Frank didn't finish the Giro, or he would have no chance at Le Tour.  :-[

While it is obviously not going to happen, how great would it be if Frank did win the Tour, with Andy out.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10801
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 11:26 »

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12155/Fuglsang-unhappy-with-non-selection-for-RadioShacks-Tour-de-France-squad.aspx

Interestingly, while the RadioShack company’s spokesman Eric S. Bruner told VeloNation recently that sponsors ‘don’t control the selection process,’ a tweet by Trek President John Burke may suggests that he had an input.

“Chirs [sic] Horner makes the TDF team. Congratulations Chris!!...... I voted for you.”

Whatever the reasoning, though, Fuglsang feels frustrated. “There is more than what appears in the press,” he said about the general difficulties facing the squad this year. “We see only the tip of the iceberg. It does not take a genius to see that it is not running as it should.”

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 22:16 »
    Interestingly, while the RadioShack company’s spokesman Eric S. Bruner told VeloNation recently that sponsors ‘don’t control the selection process,’ a tweet by Trek President John Burke may suggests that he had an input.

“Chirs [sic] Horner makes the TDF team. Congratulations Chris!!...... I voted for you.”

Ya, that is a bit revealing. Here's the link to the actual tweet in case it disappears soon.
    https://twitter.com/JBTrek08/status/214881498594164736

It does raise some questions, I would think.  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 22:19 »
    Ya, that is a bit revealing. Here's the link to the actual tweet in case it disappears soon.
    https://twitter.com/JBTrek08/status/214881498594164736

It does raise some questions, I would think.  ::)

That seems like a silly thing to state on such a public arena.  :-X
    What could he possibly have been thinking??  ???
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #98 on: June 19, 2012, 22:36 »
    Good lord, as much as it pains me to even reference Bicyling.com, while searching for a video clip, for a different thread, I was exposed to the current home page with a link to Jen's commentary on the prospect of a Tour without Andy. Spoon-feeding it to the mindless  American cycling "fan."

I’ll miss the man who, after his dropping chain and then was attacked by Contador, got back on his bike and chased all alone. And after the stage, when the press asked him about what happened, he said not one bad word. He took that hit like a man.
    Does it matter that this not even close to reality?

I’ll miss Andy the great bicycle racer, the racer who saved our asses in so many Tours with stage wins, white jerseys, podiums—the Andy who won a Tour for us.
    Uh huh.  ::)

Then again, the title of the column is: Hardly Serious with Jens Voigt  ;D

(But I refuse to offer a link)
  • ReplyReply

• The Hitch

• Winner 2012 Tour de France prediction game
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 841
    • Awards: 2013 Annual Prediction Game2013 CQ Ranking Vuelta Game Post of the Year 2013Race Preview of the Year 2013
    « Reply #99 on: June 19, 2012, 23:33 »
    Yeah that was some really strange stuff from Jens about how Andy took chaingate "like a man".
  • ReplyReply
  • Despite the self-serving data benders and associated propaganda to the contrary, I am led to believe that there are pockets of organised, highly sophisticated dopers, even within 'new age' cycling teams. Personally, I don't accept that the 'dark era' has ended, it has just morphed into a new guise.

mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 674
    • craig walsh always with us
    « Reply #100 on: June 19, 2012, 23:39 »
    Yeah that was some really strange stuff from Jens about how Andy took chaingate "like a man".

Ya, odd spin...I thought he had anger in his stomach.  ;D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3851
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #101 on: June 20, 2012, 06:39 »
    Good lord, as much as it pains me to even reference Bicyling.com, while searching for a video clip, for a different thread, I was exposed to the current home page with a link to Jen's commentary on the prospect of a Tour without Andy. Spoon-feeding it to the mindless  American cycling "fan."
    Does it matter that this not even close to reality?
    Uh huh.  ::)

Then again, the title of the column is: Hardly Serious with Jens Voigt  ;D

(But I refuse to offer a link)

Lol Jensie what are you doing? :P
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 366
    « Reply #102 on: June 20, 2012, 12:46 »
    Lol Jensie what are you doing? :P

I think he did inhale just a bit too much when he rode past that pot smoker last week  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 108
    'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #104 on: June 22, 2012, 21:23 »
    Posted same in TdF Tour Squad thread, but you can never have too much of a good thing.  :D

No Tour de France for Bruyneel
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12190/USADA-investigation-No-Tour-de-France-for-Bruyneel.aspx

• ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 21:29 »
    Posted same in TdF Tour Squad thread, but you can never have too much of a good thing.  :D

No Tour de France for Bruyneel
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12190/USADA-investigation-No-Tour-de-France-for-Bruyneel.aspx

If I was Bruyneel i would be busy shoring up my finances in SwissBankLand and making sure I was not gonna get thrown under the bus by Armstrong.

I hope he is thrown under the bus and drags the others with him!

Oh and i hope that he can be sued for his shennagins in cycling by ex riders and soigneurs etc...
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 21:46 »
    If I was Bruyneel i would be busy shoring up my finances in SwissBankLand and making sure I was not gonna get thrown under the bus by Armstrong.

I hope he is thrown under the bus and drags the others with him!

Oh and i hope that he can be sued for his shennagins in cycling by ex riders and soigneurs etc...

How much money does Johann have, exactly? :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 21:55 »
    Does this mean that Kim Andersen is back for the TdF?

Or since Andy isn't going anyway does he just tell the team to stuff it if they come calling?
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #108 on: June 23, 2012, 12:42 »
    This mornings L'equipe (via tour de jose)

En Anglias

The Schlecks in Germany in 2013

The Schleck brothers continue to interest other teams for 2013, especially the Russian team Katusha and the Khazak Astana, but in recent days another option has taken shape in Germany.

The American cycling brand Trek, the current sponsor of the Radioshack team of  Frank and Andy Schleck, is considering creating a new team, to accomodate both Schleck brothers and their Directer Sportif Kim Anderson

The Dane, who isnt happy having been prevented by Johann Bruyneel of working at the tour de France, has the idea of a new team for next season with the two brothers protected.

Several German riders have been approached by the promoter of the project.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2012, 12:45 »
    I might even like the team if they sign Fabian Schnaidt, as unlikely as that would be.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #110 on: June 23, 2012, 12:49 »
    a new team built around the brothers.  if only they had thought of that before :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #111 on: June 23, 2012, 14:03 »
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

jobiwan

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #112 on: June 23, 2012, 15:50 »
    I would rather see them join an existing team, but better this than Brunyeel.
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 28
    • Just a fan. Also, not a man.
      • FYC
    « Reply #113 on: June 24, 2012, 12:16 »
    a new team built around the brothers.  if only they had thought of that before :fp

:tu
    I wish they would just get focussed on racing instead of constantly seeking to be in charge. 
    Clearly something has to change but potentially they could be jumping ship leaving teammates who can't afford to break contracts stuck at Radioshack (or whatever Radioshack may become).  Add that to the failure of Leopard last year which left teammates without a job and the fact that they pretty much cleared-out Saxo Bank two years ago - not exactly covering themselves in glory.   At some point being king of their own castle became more important than getting results.
  • ReplyReply

• Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
    « Reply #114 on: June 24, 2012, 13:57 »
    I wish they would just get focussed on racing instead of constantly seeking to be in charge. 

I think part of the problem for the brother's is that they need to be in charge and to have control of their affairs.  You get the feeling that they prefer to surround themselves with 'yes' men, which is obviously easier to do when they control the team.  The arguments with JB this season clearly illustrate this, possibly why they fell out with Riis as well. 
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
      • FYC
    « Reply #115 on: June 24, 2012, 19:04 »
    You get the feeling that they prefer to surround themselves with 'yes' men, which is obviously easier to do when they control the team.  The arguments with JB this season clearly illustrate this, possibly why they fell out with Riis as well.

I think that is likely the case and was certainly what was in effect last year at Leopard Trek.  Surrounded by friends and not heeding advice from others.  They were at least a team though, unlike this year.  It would perhaps be different if they were more business minded instead of just control seeking, in some desperate search to create a team they think is worthy of their presence.
  • ReplyReply

• brassyn

• Neo Pro
      • FYC
    « Reply #116 on: June 27, 2012, 20:09 »
    Hope it's ok to double post to add this link into the discussion.  It's from Het Nieuwsblad and I think the printed article may be longer but the final question/answer in the online version is interesting.

Question: First the incident in the Giro, the Armstrong case. There are rumors that you are not satisfied with RadioShack-Nissan-Trek and would attract a new team. What is there of that?

Frank Schleck: I can't say anything about that.

So a no comment but a slightly loaded one.  Remember how poor Frank was at denying the brothers were leaving Saxo for their own Lux team?  This has a similar feel to me.   It suggests there is some truth to the rumours or maybe he's just winding Johan up. Or - and perhaps more likely - he would still like to ride some WorldTour races for the remainder of the season and is saying nowt!

Happier times:

Additional edit to include this picture of Joost Posthuma that he posted on twitter today (https://twitter.com/joostposthuma/status/218281106108186624).  Note that he's training in a Leopard Trek kit and not his Radioshack gear.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 19:48 by brassyn »

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #117 on: June 29, 2012, 02:10 »
    This mornings L'equipe (via tour de jose)

En Anglias

The Schlecks in Germany in 2013

The Schleck brothers continue to interest other teams for 2013, especially the Russian team Katusha and the Khazak Astana, but in recent days another option has taken shape in Germany.

The American cycling brand Trek, the current sponsor of the Radioshack team of  Frank and Andy Schleck, is considering creating a new team, to accomodate both Schleck brothers and their Directer Sportif Kim Anderson

The Dane, who isnt happy having been prevented by Johann Bruyneel of working at the tour de France, has the idea of a new team for next season with the two brothers protected.

Several German riders have been approached by the promoter of the project.

If Radioshack keeps sponsoring cycling it would make sense for them to ride domestically, and in Europe as a continental team. They would have the same exposure, or even more for their market, with developing riders.

Hoping the best for the Schlecks' new vision. I don't see how it will benefit them though, honestly.
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1018
    « Reply #118 on: June 29, 2012, 02:14 »
    Note that he's training in a Leopard Trek kit and not his Radioshack gear.

Robert Wagner too:
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 238
    « Reply #119 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27 »
    I thought they weren't allowed to train/ride in other kit for contract reasons?

They are. It's probably a protest against a real or perceived violation of their contract - like not being paid on time. Didn't we see riders covering their sponsors recently? Astana?

That reminds me that Posthuma said he's looking for a new team too. Is he also out of WorldTour races?
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:37]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [August 19, 2017, 19:32]

Re: [2.HC] Colorado Classic by hiero
    [August 19, 2017, 17:18]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by t-72
    [August 19, 2017, 14:00]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by LukasCPH