collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 22
Re: Q&A Jonathan Vaughters
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 17:22 »
Which of the 2 TTT victories at the Tour de France was it more enjoyable to be involved in. The Credit Agricole win as a rider in 2001 or the Garmin win in 2011 as Manager?

I love both of those moments. Not sure which one sticks out more. 2001 was special because it was a moment in my career I was riding clean, and I think my teammates were to. So, we figured we had zero chance of winning, but we did. That was unexpected and something special. 2011 was the culmination of years and years of work organizing and perfecting. We weren't the strongest team, but we nailed that day due to our organization and sacrifice.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 17:22 »
    A question on twitter has just come in from @CafeRoubaix:

Can you make a Top 3 of the riders you wanted to sign for Garmin, but you didn't do it, regardless of the reason?

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 17:32 by L'arri »
    RIP Keith

Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 17:25 »
    A question on twitter has just come in from CafeRoubaix:

Can you make a Top 3 of the riders you wanted to sign for Garmin, but you didn't do it, regardless of the reason?

Chris Froome, Alexander Kristoff, and Lawson Craddock
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2626
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 17:25 »

Do you feel remorse for not being able to join in Velorooms Bingo?
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 17:26 »
    Clearly I feel remorse when bingo is involved.
  • ReplyReply

• goat83

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 17:27 »
    When did topsiders come back in style?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 17:29 »
    When did topsiders come back in style?

When you have a yacht, you need topsiders, and when you have a yacht, you're always in style.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 17:30 by L'arri »

Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    Re: Jonathan Vaughters, Garmin-Sharp boss
    « Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 17:34 »
    1. Why did you block me on twitter ?

2. Do you personally think that the change cycling now campaign was a success?  From the outside looking in as much as was possible,  it seemed to be an anti LA and get rid of Pat community,  has cycling been changed?

3. 2017 there is a major upheaval planned for cycling, it seems to me that not a lot are aware of the changes, what communication have you had frommthe UCI, what do you think of these changes?

4. In discussing cycling there are many what ifs , Which rider did you pass over, only for that rider to be very successful,  so a rider you turned down rather than the rider.

5. The joining of Cevelo to Slipstream looking back , excluding financial aspects a mistake for team dynamic going forward?

Thats 5 questions! I'll answer #1: I block people on twitter when it gets overly negative. It's not personal or that I feel your opinion isn't valid, but when I sense a lot of negativity, I just don't want to read it because it really stresses me out. I have pretty thin skin, so I just try avoiding exposing myself to negative stuff.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 17:35 »
    I can't believe JV got moderated!  :o
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    Re: Jonathan Vaughters, Garmin-Sharp boss
    « Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 17:38 »
    I get the impression that cycling has taken more of a back seat in your life lately, if it is not just a matter of appearances and that such a thing is even possible for a team manager. It seems like a period of retrenchment, much as we see with movie stars who have been overexposed for a period.

At the same time, I remember reading that you were a bright kid who could (and presumably could still) do other things.

Would you agree with that first conjecture and if so, is this just a phase? Or do you feel like there is a ceiling for you in cycling and that you intend to put your MBA to some other purpose?

In the first iteration of the team, it was my job to generate as much attention as possible, as we needed to establish ourselves. Now, we don't need extra attention, so my focus is on the operations and finance of the team, not the PR aspects. So, thats probably what you're noticing. Also, going to school kept me away from races for a few years!!! I graduate in a few weeks, but no plans on going to work at Goldman Sachs as of yet.
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 17:40 »
    What is your favourite "They Might Be Giants" song?
    Particle man
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 17:47 »
    Jonathan,
    First of all I would like to say thank you for your time.

Next, I have asked my son what he would ask a DS of a major US based team

My questions as a former racer and a parent:

Question A: how to overcome the thousands of dollars to over come  the cost of equipment

Question B: how do you fix the crit. mentality of US developmental racing.  Each road race or time trial is stuck behind crappy ass circuit race 30 minutes of crap and 3 laps to see who wins.

Question C: Can the US actually pull off a true stage race?  Coors Classic/ Red Zinger was an attempt at a true US stage race. 
    Do you think the USA Pro challenge, the Tour of Utah, or any other race in the US can gain any traction

The cost of equipment is a real issue for parents. An issue for me too, as think of all the talent that is unrealized because cycling is so expensive. That lower talent pool probably hurts the top end of US pro racing.

I wish I had good suggestions on this. I think a lot of the sponsors of some top level amateur/continental teams might be better suited gigvig funds to junior riders. Maybe.

USA Pro Cycling challenge is getting traction, huge cowds/good TV ratings, but still operates at a loss of almost $4M annually. Luckily, Rick Schaden covers that loss, but eventually it won't be sustainable. I think solving that comes down to all the top races in the world having some sort of correlation with one another and having a season long narrative. That might keep cycling's audience for something beyond just the TdF - and that would bring in higher revenues.
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 17:49 »
    We know that riders take "comfort breaks" by roadside with the peloton affording them time to return etc. How do the DS's and support teams manage with the issue of "natural breaks"
    same way. side of road. call the 2nd car up to cover the riders and pull over and pee.
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 17:54 »
    I dont want to focus on doping - but everyone else has already ask the other questions I had  :lol

Anyway - what do you think about the situation with Roman Krueziger? It was 2 years between the questionable values and the UCI actually taking any action. Do you think that is acceptable?   And Jonathan Tiernan Locke has only just been banned for an infringement that was nearly 2 years ago (though there were some genuine delays by legal teams there so its less time)

What kind of processes do you have when hiring new riders to ensure they dont have those kinds of issues hanging over them?
    The bio-passport takes a long time to gather enough data to pursue cases. And once they are pursued, they are much more legally complicated than a simple positive test. So, it takes a while. That said, it really annoys me that I'm explaining this and not the UCI. They need to take a credible journalist through the entire process so that its better understood. It shouldn't be my job to explain this stuff.

That said, they can tighten up the process some. It'll still be long, but they can improve. a lot.
  • ReplyReply

• VeloHuman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 2
      • VeloHuman
    « Reply #44 on: July 21, 2014, 18:07 »
    JV, can you give us an idea of what Garmin-Sharp's goals are for the rest of the season? Dan Martin is already looking good in his return and hopefully Talansky comes back stronger than ever...
  • ReplyReply
  • VeloHuman.com
    Previews and Analysis of Every WorldTour Race
    @VeloHuman on Twitter

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 371
    « Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 18:12 »
    I know you have for a while now been busy with your studies and I wondered what your goal was with these studies, are you planning to take a different step in your career (perhaps even moving away from cycling) than what you are doing now, or are you just trying to improve yourself for your current position?
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 18:21 »
    And with that we conclude our Q&A with JV!

We apologise to any who asked questions which weren't answered. JV has overcome a couple of technical difficulties to answer as many questions as possible which is terrific. He has also said he may try to answer the remaining questions in the future when he has a chance.

A big thanks to all those involved. Particularly to JV who agreed to take time out of his extremely busy schedule right in the middle of his biggest race in the year. Once again he is never afraid to speak his mind and state the facts as they are, providing a unique perspective on the sport.

Thanks also to all the staff involved who as usual have been great, particularly Larri for helping to get the whole Q&A running smoothly. And of course thanks to all of those who posed their questions to JV, as always they were incisive and highly revealing.

We will hopefully be posting an article with an accumulation of all JV's questions so look out for that. And of course as many already know for more of JV, just follow him @vaughters where you will always be presented with a controversial viewpoint.

Thanks again to everyone and feel free to use this thread to discuss all of JV's answers!
  • ReplyReply

• Jonathan Vaughters

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 19:32 »
    Are you and David Millar on speaking terms now?
    *Not really, unfortunately.

How to you rank recruitment targets apart from ability to ride a bike? e.g. US, otherwise English speaking?; Age profile? blah blah.
    *I look a lot at extended effort lactate profiles, attitude, desire, and life background. You have to be very hungry to be a good pro. It's not a fun lifestyle. At all. So, you've got to want it, desperately.

Who's Garmin's best buddies in the peloton, the team you'd turn to first for a favour? And who's your least, the team you wouldn't pee on if they were on fire?
    *Honestly, there really are no friends on that level in the peloton anymore. When I raced you could count on their being certain allegiances. But not longer.

Leadbelly:
    One issue I have with Garmin is what I feel is a bit of an information vacuum/barrier surrounding the team.

To take some other teams as examples: BMC, Giant and Orica have excellent websites that give us information post-stage for how the day's events went, how some of the riders are feeling, what the DS's thoughts are etc etc. Maybe there'll be a link to a interview and maybe they'll give us an idea of what they have in mind for the next stage(s). When I go to the Garmin website (or facebook page) I very rarely get any of this. Is this lack of information just a case of playing your cards close to your chest? I, for one, would really like this sort of information provided.

Quick second question - what on earth is up with LDM? He's turned into the DNF king this year.
    *We just like to let the narrative of the race speak for itself. Detailed race reports may be interesting to a very focused audience, but the broader audience our sponsors are focused on really don't grab into this stuff.

Also, frankly, I don't like biased race reports. So, I don't want to create them.
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Donald J Krabkakes
    « Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 19:33 »
     I sent JV a rock as a lovely parting gift

I'm sure he will incorporate it in the teams training.
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 19:50 »
    What was he wearing?  :(
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2021
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 20:31 »
    May I offer a suggestion?

If a continuation of this discussion is desired, perhaps some of you may consider...

brev·i·ty
    /ˈbrevitē/

noun: brevity
    concise and exact use of words in writing or speech.
    synonyms:   conciseness, concision, succinctness, economy of language, pithiness, incisiveness, shortness, compactness.

FFS people! How much time do you suppose JV has in the middle of the TdF?!?!

Try to keep is short, simple and to the point!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 20:43 »
    So how the flip I should shave my legs? And what do you think about froome14 bingo scam last last year? Or 2 yrs ago?
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 20:44 »
    Do you feel remorse for not being able to join in Velorooms Bingo?

I almost die brother, I almost die! :D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4077
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 20:48 »
    So how the flip I should shave my legs? And what do you think about froome14 bingo scam last last year? Or 2 yrs ago?

Tony, pour some whiskey on your legs, then light it on fire, apply wet towels fast :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2021
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 20:51 »
    Leadbelly:*We just like to let the narrative of the race speak for itself. Detailed race reports may be interesting to a very focused audience, but the broader audience our sponsors are focused on really don't grab into this stuff.

Also, frankly, I don't like biased race reports. So, I don't want to create them.

OK, this begs for a response.

First off, the "narrative" of the race often becomes (for some of us) the victim of Phil & Paul's often idiotic interpretation of things. There is no stand-alone narrative. As fans, we are always limited to information that is at the mercy of commercial breaks and the whims of the French TV directors. So why not think of it as  completing the narrative as to opposed to altering it?

And what is this "broader audience" you speak of? I'll need some convincing that they actually exist. As it is, pro cycling is a pain in the ass to keep track of, and to follow, with any degree of informed insight. For those of us who can be bothered, we tend to love those behind-the-scenes glimpse of things.

I thought that Cervelo's Beyond The Peloton series was both ground breaking and intriguing with the perspective that it offered. It also, quite frankly, greatly heightened my interest in your own team at the time (for the relevant season).

What else are supposed to rely on, ESPN?  You might want to inform your sponsors that the general population doesn't care about cycling, and the mainstream sports media, for all practical purposes, ignores it. It's just us.

So give us what we want, god dammit!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    « Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 21:00 »
    Tony, pour some whiskey on your legs, then light it on fire, apply wet towels fast :cool

I will do it... :D
  • ReplyReply

• mew

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 700
    • 💜craig walsh💜;💜Krebby💜
    « Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 21:10 »
    May I offer a suggestion?

If a continuation of this discussion is desired, perhaps some of you may consider...

brev·i·ty
    /ˈbrevitē/

noun: brevity
    concise and exact use of words in writing or speech.
    synonyms:   conciseness, concision, succinctness, economy of language, pithiness, incisiveness, shortness, compactness.

FFS people! How much time do you suppose JV has in the middle of the TdF?!?!

Try to keep is short, simple and to the point!  :D

my questions were the very essence of brevity
     :o_o
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 797
    « Reply #57 on: July 21, 2014, 21:21 »
    my questions were the very essence of brevity
     :o_o

and still he didn't answer them.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 797
    « Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 21:23 »
    Particle man

Thanks for answering my questions. Particularly this one which I don't actually remember asking.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1023
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 21:31 »
    Thanks for answering my questions. Particularly this one which I don't actually remember asking.

Aha, so you were about to try Flo's suggested Methode de Shaving, but misapplied the whiskey, eh?  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .