collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 4001
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: Wiggins quits road racing
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 00:08 »
well I was one of the ones who laughed at him going for Roubaix last year - so have essentially given up my right to laugh at him anymore.

Doesnt mean I like him - and certainly wont miss him on the road - but I respect his talent and think he will give PR a damn good go before going back to track for Rio next year
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3263
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 01:45 »
    I'm on record here as having given Wiggo pretty good chances at Roubaix last year, and it would make for a sensational story if he could actually win it. And I still believe he could, if things line up for him. But I would have to imagine that Roubaix is one of the most difficult races for a rider to predict, and then fulfill, their own destiny. So many variables. But that's what makes it such a great race.

As I said then, I think it would make a huge statement to any other TdF winner if Wiggo could pull off a victory on the cobbles. It would raise the bar so high.

I also can't wait for him to absolutely smash the Hour Record, so that it actually comes to mean something.

2015 will be interesting at least.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 09:43 »
    I'm on record here as having given Wiggo pretty good chances at Roubaix last year, and it would make for a sensational story if he could actually win it. And I still believe he could, if things line up for him. But I would have to imagine that Roubaix is one of the most difficult races for a rider to predict, and then fulfill, their own destiny. So many variables. But that's what makes it such a great race.

As I said then, I think it would make a huge statement to any other TdF winner if Wiggo could pull off a victory on the cobbles. It would raise the bar so high.

I also can't wait for him to absolutely smash the Hour Record, so that it actually comes to mean something.

2015 will be interesting at least.  :)

If he doesn't get P-R then he has the Hour, because he'll definitely take that. I can't see him winning P-R, despite the good finish last year. The way he gets hyped sometimes, it's like there's nobody else racing it.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 810
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 16:46 »
    That's marketing for you :)
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11131
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6772
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22 »
    https://twitter.com/richardmoore73/status/552061621586366464

I'm almost embarassed by all the hype Wiggins is getting. It's really silly.

Yesterday, I did a turbo sesh watching coverage of the 2005 Paris-Roubaix on YouTube. It was from an American channel with P&P on the commentary. Armstrong wasn't even racing that day but his long shadow was all over it, plus of course there was Sideshow George to cheer for and so we were stuck in full-on Go America! Team Disco insanity mode.

Seems like the twilight of Wiggomania bears some comparisons.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by t-72
    [Today at 12:44]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [Today at 01:34]

Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:23]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Drummer Boy
    [August 17, 2019, 19:07]

Re: Arctic Race of Norway by Leadbelly