collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10901
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Re: TV Commentators rated...
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58 »
I like Sean but that was funny  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

FreeWheelin

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 76
    « Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02 »
    This may have been said in the Olympic thread - but I was amazed watching the Olympic RR that Phil was actually ok in that.   
  • ReplyReply

• blackcat

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 2
    « Reply #62 on: June 16, 2016, 17:09 »
    Matt Keenan is a bit like painting by numbers, says the glaringly obvious a bit too much, but he didnt to a bad job in the vuelta riding solo which is always tough.

Harmon, erm, take him or leave him, switches between saying the glaringly obvious and trying to ram his opinion down peoples throats. Was pretty annoyed when at the british nationals last year while he was doing the accouncing prior to the presentations he started harping on about lance, about how he was a doper to which i said rather too loudly "its the british natonals, can we not just have one lance free race" which recieved a fairly healthy applause. I agree with his opinion, shame he has only recently started giving it.

Kelly. Love the guy as a cycling, but talks complete nonsense and his lack of english is embarrasing.

backstead and smith, like both these guys, both bring something different too it and both are actively involved in cycling and know what its about.

Carlton Kirkby, meh.
    actually Dim, Keeno like the lowlands commentators can pick out a rider based on his marionette silhouetted on a blue screen from their technique/relative size. As far as I am aware, a mere few lowlands commentators have such facility

he is very good

put him next to Robbie Mac, or Frankie Andreu (very underrated, very very underrated), or Baden Cooke, and Keeno is an MVP team
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3915
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 00:30 »
    yeah - we had Keenan and Robbie McEwen for the Giro - absolutely first class.  Loved it.

Apparantly we will get them (unfortunately as well as Phil and Pual   :( ) for the Tour.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2408
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 03:03 »
    I haven't time to go back and reread this thread but...

If Chris Horner ever ends up behind the mic on race day, he will rule the roost.  :cool

Say what you will ( or won't  :-x) about him, but that dude has some serious depth when it comes to race savvy and acuity. He can recount a race better than most. He is tactically aware, and brimming with enthusiasm when breaking down events. He would be amazing inside the broadcast booth.

For real.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1283
    « Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 10:26 »

If Chris Horner ever ends up behind the mic on race day, he will rule the roost.  :cool

Say what you will ( or won't  :-x) about him, but that dude has some serious depth when it comes to race savvy and acuity. He can recount a race better than most. He is tactically aware, and brimming with enthusiasm when breaking down events. He would be amazing inside the broadcast booth.

For real.  ;)
    It's funny how often sportsmen's suitability to commentate gets judged on their sporting personality. I suppose it's because we don't know any better. I remember the shock and horror when it was announced that John McEnroe would be commentating for the BBC; and yet I hadn't learnt my lesson when watching the French Open last month and being amazed that Jim Courier was far more entertaining behind the microphone than he had ever been on the court.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1451
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 04:27 »

For real.  ;)

Seriously!? Considering your opinion of where Horner gets his cycling stardom from, I would count that post as high praise.

But I came here today to make a comment about much maligned Carlton Kirby. When I first started listening to ES, I found Kirby refreshing. Perhaps it was only the relief at having a choice instead of P&P. But I have to respect my own judgement at the time, at least a little.

However, Kirby has deteriorated over the years. I know I'm not the only one who has commented that he seems increasingly annoying as time goes by. Really making stupidly obvious statements to fill the airtime - just annoyingly ridiculous.

Which left me surprised today, when I watched a recording of the Halle-Ingooigem. He's working with that new guy - the one who came over from GNC (EDIT: GCN, Cycling Network, oy). And the transformation is a bit of a shock. All of a sudden we have a commentator who "gets" Kirby's humor. And plays with it. AND who steps in with REAL race commentary to check Kirby from having to fill the airtime with something inane. I don't know that it can keep up, but at the moment, it seems like they might make a good team, and Kirby might not be such a useless turd anymore.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 12:14 by M Gee »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6943
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #67 on: June 25, 2018, 11:12 »
    He's working with that new guy - the one who came over from GNC.
    Matt Stephens?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11325
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #69 on: June 25, 2018, 11:37 »
    I'm not the best person to answer that but it does seem to be an Oostvlaanderen thing.

Nope, it's standard Dutch. With endings in -en, which is a common infinitive verb ending or a plural ending, the n is usually silent. If preceded by another vowel than e, then it's pronounced unless then possibly in some local Flemish dialects.

Look here, Dutchman Lars Van der Haar at 0.14:
    "beter dan ik had durve' drome'" ("better than I had dared to dream"). Normally it's "durven dromen".

Otherwise, despite being Walloon I am now almost permanently watching races on Sporza if they cover races, unless I'm visiting my parents and watch the race with my dad because he, despite being Flemish, can no longer speak Dutch. Then I'm watching on RTBF, but it's a torture. Rodrigo Beenkens was a genius at spotting riders from very far heli views in the nineties but then in the noughties you could see he was no longer passionate about the sport and would rather commentate football, also he was disgusted by doping affairs. A lot of people ridiculed him for mixing Tom Boonen with Philippe Gilbert when the former was World Champion but such huge mistakes he would never have done in the nineties. He was a really lively and joyful commentator while his predecessor the late Théo Mathy was pretty boring - people told me - but amazingly knowledgeable. Bruwier is insufferable.

The main asset for Sporza commentators is that they strictly focus on cycling while RTBF commentators would also do football or other sports. I really like Wuyts for his knowledge and enthusiasm. I like Schotte a bit less because I think he sometimes goes too far in interviewing riders when they are still out of breath!!! I don't mind Karl. The best double act for me is Wuyts - Herijgers for cyclocross. Amazing how Paul can notice details that nobody could see. That's just an art that you cannot get from your own cycling experience. There's more to it than just knowledge of how the sport goes.

With respect the Sporza bias towards Belgian riders, I don't agree with what has been said here. Let's not forget that families and friends of Dutch-speaking Belgian riders are watching Sporza and it's logical for them to be enthusiastic about those riders. Besides, they have befriended those riders themselves. However since there are now more and more Sporza Dutch viewers, commentators should also take that into account. I think they rather nicer towards Dutch riders now than used to be (towards Mathieu and Lars in cyclocross at least, but well these are likeable riders too).

Occasionly I'm watching on British Eurosport (especially the Canadian races) but well nothing to say, really.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2300
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #70 on: June 25, 2018, 12:10 »
     Might as well report back here, from my far flung travels.
    When I saw this thread had appeared again, I guessed one man would be the catalyst. :D

For me, the thing about Kirby is the fact that for all his alleged humour, his commentary always follows the same, prescribed pattern; it never varies. In every race, after the usual intros and a bit of prolonged banter with his co-commentator, he then proceeds to run through half the field, touting each as potential winner, whether they stand a chance, or not. If coverage runs to 90 minutes or more, he will repeat. His actual race "coverage" usually doesn't begin until the final 15kms or so. This always consists of his standard cliches and catch phrases, regardless of what is actually happening in the race. "He's digging in for glory," seems to be his current miserable attempt to replicate “He’s looking deep into his suitcase of courage" in the iconic status stakes.
     The bottom line is that after the novelty wears off, he becomes very irritating and boring, very quickly.

However, in fairness to him, some of his quips are extremely smart and quick-witted. Many of the best can be read here:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/kirbyisms?lang=en-gb

As for cliches and with the forthcoming Tour in mind.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/racing/features-racing/ten-commentary-cliches-will-definitely-hear-tour-de-france/
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #71 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15 »
    Matt Stephens?
    Yeah, that sounds right. He's actually a pretty good commentator.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #72 on: June 25, 2018, 12:19 »
    Ah, five years ago already since this thread began. How (no)things have changed. :)

The triumphant entry into Brussels of Mr Flashy Ruben Van Gucht (although credit to him for being fit enough to interview people while riding a bike himself). And now we can also enjoy Christophe Vandegoor with his silly, deliberately provoking questions.

Ah, the Flemish: forever people of the fields...

On the flip side they actually found an experienced ex-pro for the women's races in Lieselot Decroix to save the main commentator the embarassment of not being able to name any of the riders. :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by LukasCPH
    [Today at 19:00]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [Today at 05:44]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2018, 01:27]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:55]

Re: Race news 2019 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:48]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Armchair Cyclist
    [November 15, 2018, 17:06]