collapse

Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
  • Domestique
  • Liked: 36
  • Feel my wrath
Re: News, politics, serious stuff (no religion!)
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41 »
True story: the polling booth I was advertising for caused the biggest Liberal swing in that elecrotate in that election... which one I cant remember. still didn work

Are you an aussie? Have you lived in Australia? I only recently moved out that electorate (to another safe Labor seat).

http://results.aec.gov.au/15508/Website/HouseDivisionTcpByPollingPlace-15508-201.htm >>> the link to the booths in the seat. Just interested what booth you may have worked at.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:44 by Auscyclefan »
    - Australia's greatest sporting moment

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #91 on: February 13, 2012, 15:53 »
    Israeli embassy car explodes in New Delhi, 3 injured. A similar bomb involving another Israeli embassy car was diffused in Tbilisi.
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2889316.ece

Injured, not killed. Unfortunately, a force of habit with terrorism in India.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 15:57 by Kriss Akabusi's fantabulous pegs »

Amsterhammer

• Proud owner of Vacansoleil
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #92 on: February 13, 2012, 17:09 »
    Schiphol clear and reopened. One idiot in a toilet apparently claimed to have a bomb. He's been arrested, no bomb. Dozens of flights delayed. ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • Rock On and keep the Faith

Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #93 on: February 13, 2012, 21:27 »
    Israeli embassy car explodes in New Delhi, 3 injured. A similar bomb involving another Israeli embassy car was diffused in Tbilisi.
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2889316.ece

Injured, not killed. Unfortunately, a force of habit with terrorism in India.

It seems the MO was pretty similar to the killing of the Iranian nuclear scientist. And I see that Israel is accusing Iran (or rather Hezbollah) which is entirely conceivable. However, there has been a buzz for a while hinting at false flag operations to produce a casus belli against Iran. At this time I am highly skeptical. Let me ask, why would Iran, in the present situation, actually go about and give Israel a good reason to attack?
  • ReplyReply
  • Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.

Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #94 on: February 13, 2012, 23:59 »
    Let me ask, why would Iran, in the present situation, actually go about and give Israel a good reason to attack?

Because the people in power are nutters? And now they're peeed off nutters? Just wondering....

On the other hand, with the Mossad anything is possible. ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #95 on: February 14, 2012, 02:32 »
    Because the people in power are nutters? And now they're peeed off nutters? Just wondering....

On the other hand, with the Mossad anything is possible. ::)

The point is though that they are anything but nutters. Don't let the western media fool you.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 04:32 »
    True, they don't appear that way from here. Here is a point though, India is a regular victim of terrorism but Hezbollah leaders being killed has not been a reason for terror in the past. Also, I can't ever remember a terror cell both in India and Georgia, there are terrorists in India and surely there are terrorists in Georgia, but I've never seen the same MO used in these two completely unconnected countries. Netenyahu's statement was a perfect case of knee jerkism and he certainly can't go po faced about these considering the nigh on official terror that Israel has caused in the past.
  • ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #97 on: February 14, 2012, 04:35 »
    Reports of an earthquake near Fukushima.
  • ReplyReply

• Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Feel my wrath
    « Reply #98 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45 »
    University pushing for a cycling/motorist incidences to be a strict liabilty crime for the driver.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/cyclists-call-for-law-to-hold-drivers-guilty-until-proven-innocent/story-fn7x8me2-1226270267854
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    « Reply #99 on: February 14, 2012, 11:46 »
    The point is though that they are anything but nutters. Don't let the western media fool you.

Nothing to do with the western media - I view all religious fundamentalists, zealots, and extremists as nutters, from whatever persuasion they come from.
  • ReplyReply

• python

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 17
    • still to be born
    amsterhammer, i too have an instinctive suspicion of any  politics admixed with religion. however, i trust you're open-minded enough to see that the nutters could be perfectly godless and capable of stupid irresponsible actions...

the matter of tit-for-tat assassinations has little to do with religion and everything to do with the nutters on both sides driving the conflict to a very dangerous point of no return.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    amsterhammer, i too have an instinctive suspicion of any  politics admixed with religion. however, i trust you're open-minded enough to see that the nutters could be perfectly godless and capable of stupid irresponsible actions...

the matter of tit-for-tat assassinations has little to do with religion and everything to do with the nutters on both sides driving the conflict to a very dangerous point of no return.

Oh, absolutely! The world is full of godless, ideology driven, nutters too. It's just that I have a particular distaste for those who are convinced that God is on their side.
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    It would be good to remember at this point that Khamenei, the supreme leader of Iran has issued a fatwa against nuclear weapons, saying the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons was forbidden under Islam. That doesn't strike me as a particularly nutty position. Moreover, one should remember the position of the IAEA which is that they found credible evidence for conducting experiments aimed at developing a nuclear bomb UNTIL 2003 (and research MAY have been continued at a lower rate since that time). Furthermore, one should remember that Ahmadinejad in 2006 and foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki in 2008 have called for a nuclear weapon free zone in the Mid East. Iran is a signature country of the non-proliferation treaty (NPT) and has not been found in violation of the treaty. Iran has only be found in non-compliance with the NPT safeguard agreement in a rare non-consensus decision with 12 abstentions.

• ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Seems like the situation in Bahrain is flaring up again.
    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/02/201221415146400277.html

BBC's reporting on this has been poor, have they been banned from Bahrain?
  • ReplyReply

• python

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 17
    • still to be born
    Press TV said Iran has stopped exporting oil to Netherlands, Greece, France, Portugal, Spain and Italy.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/iran-halts-oil-exports-eu-sanctions?newsfeed=true

clearly, this 'counter sanction' is not symbolic as the countries in bold are the biggest current eu buyers of iranian oil.  :o

in the mean time, turkey indicated it could care less about the law recently passed in the us of a
    demanding every nation in the world to ask washington's pemission to buy iranian oil.

• ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    It would be good to remember at this point that Khamenei, the supreme leader of Iran has issued a fatwa against nuclear weapons, saying the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons was forbidden under Islam. That doesn't strike me as a particularly nutty position......

Oh come on, Cobbles, I'm surprised at you. So what, Khamenei issued a fatwa?? You cite that to show that the ayatollahs are not nutty and deranged medievalists, whereas all other evidence shows precisely that?

I don't call the Iranian leadership nutters because of the nuclear issue. I have called them nutters ever since they took power, and none of their actions in the last 33 years or so have led me to change my mind. They are a nasty clique of barbaric, religious fundamentalist nutters who oppress their own people in a particularly appalling way.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Press TV said Iran has stopped exporting oil to Netherlands, Greece, France, Portugal, Spain and Italy.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/iran-halts-oil-exports-eu-sanctions?newsfeed=true

clearly, this 'counter sanction' is not symbolic as the countries in bold are the biggest current eu buyers of iranian oil.  :o

in the mean time, turkey indicated it could care less about the law recently passed in the us of a
    demanding every nation in the world to ask washington's pemission to buy iranian oil.
    Just to add a small point, I was checking some 2010 statistics, 18% of Iran's oil was exported to the EU. Only China imports more than this - 22%.
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    Oh come on, Cobbles, I'm surprised at you. So what, Khamenei issued a fatwa?? You cite that to show that the ayatollahs are not nutty and deranged medievalists, whereas all other evidence shows precisely that?

I don't call the Iranian leadership nutters because of the nuclear issue. I have called them nutters ever since they took power, and none of their actions in the last 33 years or so have led me to change my mind. They are a nasty clique of barbaric, religious fundamentalist nutters who oppress their own people in a particularly appalling way.

I understand where you're coming from and I share your distaste of religious fundamentalism. But the point in this discussion are nuclear weapons, not gay or women's rights or whatnot. The story told to us is that Iran must not acquire nuclear weapons because, unlike other states such as the USA, Russia, China, Israel, India or Pakistan, who are supposedly 'rational' players, Iran is inherently 'irrational', meaning once they have this weapon, they'll go and use it immediately or hand it over to terrorists, never mind the consequences for themselves and others. That is the rationale on which Israel and by proxy the USA is going to war with Iran. Now if one listens to what comes out of Iran one might learn that (i) Iran is not trying to produce nuclear weapons in the first place and (ii) Iran would not be the 'irrational' player as it is made out to be. The quotes I put up there are meant to support these two points, nothing else. Again, if you want to discuss gay rights, women's rights, religious freedom etc. in Iran, that's another topic (and I don't think we're going to disagree much there), but that is not put forward as a rationale to start a war, so in this narrow context it is irrelevant.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    Of course, I understand your point. ;)

But, just because the Iranians say they're not going to make a weapon, doesn't necessarily mean they won't. Nations, and governments, have been known to lie. I completely share your distaste for the bullying tactics employed by the US. But (again), I may be naive, but I still do not believe that we are going to see 'war'.

I also note today's Iranian announcement about stopping oil shipments to certain European countries - apart from Holland, all the countries concerned are those countries in the most dire economic straits. By coincidence, Holland is now officially in recession after two quarters of negative growth.

I very much hope that the attention of all concerned will now be directed at Syria. I don't understand how many more civilians need to be slaughtered by Assad's butchers before the world community says, 'enough'. (That is not a plea for US intervention, btw.)
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    The fiendish cleverness of the Mossad really knows no bounds. Now, they found some Iranians who were willing to both blow themselves up attacking Israeli targetsand get caught doing so, just so that Israel can accuse Iran of these bombings. Devilishly clever. ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    The fiendish cleverness of the Mossad really knows no bounds. Now, they found some Iranians who were willing to both blow themselves up attacking Israeli targetsand get caught doing so, just so that Israel can accuse Iran of these bombings. Devilishly clever. ::)

Incompetent fanatics are a dime a dozen. It doesn't tell you whether they came up with this harebrained idea by themselves, or whether they were goaded into it by whomever.
  • ReplyReply

• Dekker_Tifosi

• Super Saiyan 3
    • Neo Pro
    • Liked: 3
    Dutch royalty member Prince Friso in critical condition after being suprised by an avalanche. He's been under the snow for 15 minutes before they rescued him. And apparently his situation is stable but not out of life danger.
  • ReplyReply

• Cobblestones

• Domestic Rider
    Of course, I understand your point. ;)

But, just because the Iranians say they're not going to make a weapon, doesn't necessarily mean they won't. Nations, and governments, have been known to lie. I completely share your distaste for the bullying tactics employed by the US. But (again), I may be naive, but I still do not believe that we are going to see 'war'.

I also note today's Iranian announcement about stopping oil shipments to certain European countries - apart from Holland, all the countries concerned are those countries in the most dire economic straits. By coincidence, Holland is now officially in recession after two quarters of negative growth.

I very much hope that the attention of all concerned will now be directed at Syria. I don't understand how many more civilians need to be slaughtered by Assad's butchers before the world community says, 'enough'. (That is not a plea for US intervention, btw.)

Let's wait until around March 20 which is the end of the petrodollar in Iran. Things might come to a climax around then.

Concerning the situation in Syria, it mirrors Bahrain. Brutal suppression of the population by an elite with backing by a foreign power with a naval base in the country. I hope self-determination will be achieved in both countries without any more bloodshed.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    I'm not sure about Syria because the reporting has been sketchy at best but in Bahrain there have been lots of stories that Sunni Muslims from foreign countries have been recruited into the defence forces ahead of the local Shiaite community. The brutality has been well documented, there's a one hour Al Jazeera documentary about it.

Two Italian marines brought before a magistrate court for killing Kerala fishermen
    article
  • ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    It seems the MO was pretty similar to the killing of the Iranian nuclear scientist. And I see that Israel is accusing Iran (or rather Hezbollah) which is entirely conceivable. However, there has been a buzz for a while hinting at false flag operations to produce a casus belli against Iran. At this time I am highly skeptical. Let me ask, why would Iran, in the present situation, actually go about and give Israel a good reason to attack?

...I honestly cannot believe that you couldn't see this for what this is....because Iran pulled has just off the legendary 'reverse false-flag' operation...they are clever and devious those Iranians are...

...ooops, sorry, just realized that  the legendary 'reverse false-flag' operation is actually an old Three Stooges schtick...kinda got lost there, channeling bits of flotsam from my child-hood and ended up looking like I was talking out my ass...old age and watching too much tv does that....so happy that Rush is there to keep me on the straight and narrow...be lost without him...

...that being said, everybody does say Iran is evil, and maybe we should bomb them back into the stone age just to be sure...and in this day of terrorists behind every tree...errr...sand-dune one can never be too sure can one!?!?!?...and what is that old saw...let gawd sort it out...yeah!...that's the ticket!...

...so lets get back to important stuff like...is Romney conservative enough?...and can you ever trust a Mormon?(they're kinda like Moooslims aren't they?...I mean they both start with the same letter and so on and so forth....)....

Cheers

blutto

• ReplyReply

• blutto

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 51
    I'm not sure about Syria because the reporting has been sketchy at best but in Bahrain there have been lots of stories that Sunni Muslims from foreign countries have been recruited into the defence forces ahead of the local Shiaite community. The brutality has been well documented, there's a one hour Al Jazeera documentary about it.

Two Italian marines brought before a magistrate court for killing Kerala fishermen
    article

...just to flesh out that sketchy bit a bit youse may want to read the following article...

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02/17/hypocrisy-and-syria/

Cheers

blutto
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1066
    Dutch royalty member Prince Friso in critical condition after being suprised by an avalanche. He's been under the snow for 15 minutes before they rescued him. And apparently his situation is stable but not out of life danger.
    Hope he's OK now. But just tell me his name isn't pronounced Freezo. Please.
  • ReplyReply

• Amsterhammer

• Road Captain
    Hope he's OK now. But just tell me his name isn't pronounced Freezo. Please.

That is exactly how it's pronounced. ;D

(the smilie in no way means that I'm laughing at the prince's predicament, I wish him a speedy recovery, even as a life long republican (small 'r'!) ;)

...I honestly cannot believe that you couldn't see this for what this is....because Iran pulled has just off the legendary 'reverse false-flag' operation...they are clever and devious those Iranians are...

Cheers

blutto

The legendary 'reverse false-flag'  ;D

You sir, are one funny fliper!
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    Well here is a counter point of view on the Syria topic. The author of this article is the editor of the South Asian affairs at Al Arabiya, lost his brother to the Hama massacre and is definitely not a govt proxy. One point that hasn't been mentioned in the article by the author but has been in news programmes is that Al Qaeda have on their website named martyrs who lost their lives for the Syrian cause. Coverage has not been great but to say only anti govt protesters are dying is may be off the mark.

What cannot be overlooked is the closeness of the Syrian govt to Iran. We know the current 'on edge' situation diplomatically there and the Syrian govt is the only nation that has a functioning relationship with Iran in the region.

The most hypocritical organisation that has come out of this issue is the Arab league. A league where Saudi Arabia is the one of the most important voices and preaches reform to Syria.
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    Well here is a counter point of view on the Syria topic. The author of this article is the editor of the South Asian affairs at Al Arabiya, lost his brother to the Hama massacre and is definitely not a govt proxy. One point that hasn't been mentioned in the article by the author but has been in news programmes is that Al Qaeda have on their website named martyrs who lost their lives for the Syrian cause. Coverage has not been great but to say only anti govt protesters are dying is may be off the mark.

What cannot be overlooked is the closeness of the Syrian govt to Iran. We know the current 'on edge' situation diplomatically there and the Syrian govt is the only nation that has a functioning relationship with Iran in the region.

The most hypocritical organisation that has come out of this issue is the Arab league. A league where Saudi Arabia is the one of the most important voices and preaches reform to Syria.

Interesting. One thing i learnt living in Zambia was the different perspective you get when you fall outside the realm of the mainstream western media. I often saw different sides to stories, especially those concerning Africa, in the western and local media. Massive inaccuracies in some media that i had previously trusted (BBC / CNN) changed my opinion on them.

particularly interesting was the use of incorrect footage. Saw that used a couple of times in coverage of a drought in Zambia, on the bbc which actually had incorrectly translated footage from Zimbabwe

have since done some reading on media manipulation and the bias of mainstream media and realised how naive i had been in the past
  • ReplyReply

•