collapse

benotti69

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 215
get rid of TT bikes for road racing!
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:56 »
After watching Wiggins TT to the win in Romandie on a standard road bike with TT bars is it not time to get rid of TT bikes and leave them to either a pure TT race, think GP des Nations or those Tri freaks ;D

I think the TT bikes look ridiculous and after yesterdays TT in Romandie thought WTF do they need them for?

It really is about a riders position on the bike. Ok the TT wheels do help but do we really need to see these ugly hard to control bikes in a race. Much prefer to see riders TT on road bikes with TT bar attachments to the road bars.

My 2 cents.

I was watching some 70/80s racing on youtube and lots of the guys before the TT bikes came in really got their backs flat when riding TTs or in a breakaway, we dont see that so much anymore. Wiggins is one of the few who can really get his back flat. I stand to be corrected of course.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    Re: get rid of TT bikes for road racing!
    « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:34 »
    I agree entirely. Get rid of disc wheels as well.

I wonder who the change would suit more, JRod or wiggins?

On the one hand, Wiggins presumably trains more on a TT bike and is better able to handle it. On the other hand, if the whole field is slower at the TT, the time differences will be bigger.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 21:02 »
    That was hilly TT course, so someone choose standard bike someone not as I can see, if TT was flat we will see 100% TT bikes. And I think last year Giro hilly ITT has same bikes collection, (think Contador was on standard bike with TT extension)
    It is not only "backs flat" it is also more aggressive forward position on TT bike, I agree that rider position is biggest advantage but I can not see reason why we should take step back, it is all about speed.
    I will banned all UCI regulation about TT extensions, BB to saddle rule, wheels regulation, for Christ sake they fliped up Obree once ::)

It is all about legs and lungs at the end. And nice to hear those deep dish wheels fjuuuuuu, fjuuuuuu, fjuuuuuuuuuuuu ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:29 »
    I disagree with using them for TTT's for a number of reasons but I don't really mind them being used in ITT's. If a rider wants to be called a professional they should take the time to train on their TT bikes.
  • ReplyReply

• Giuseppe Magnetico

• Maestro della ruota
    • Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39 »
    Let them ride whatever the hell they want!  :P
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12 »
    Let them ride whatever the hell they want!  :P

Nice avatar Giu  :tu

I wonder do most riders want to ride the TT bikes? I imagine most of the peloton wouldn't.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 17:11 »
    I know someone who has ridden for various pro-tour teams for quite a few years (and still does at the moment) ... not a time trialist of any real ability - although of course would still put all of us here (me especially) to shame in any TT you want to mention ...

According to him, outside of the top tour contenders, you are basically just given an off the shelf TT bike and told "here you go ... go ride it". He got less customisation than with his standard roadies. There was no assistance to get the perfect TT position (wind tunnels were reserved for a select few others on the team) - not even in terms of saddle position, handlebar set up, etc. - and no special training programmes were prepared for the TT's.

In fact, if I remember rightly, on one of his teams, the TT bike pretty much turned up at the same time as his notification of being included in one of the GT teams for that year and was taken back after "GT season" ... which may be a part of the reason for seeing so many non-TT bikes at Romandie (although AM's comments about hilly course are also valid) and for the rules about no TT bikes in some of the early season races ...

This guy wasn't so much dismissive of TT bikes and the whole TT process as viewing it as a necessary evil to be endured as part of his job ...

Not sure how indicative his comments are, but anyhow - that's the view from at least one corner of the peleton ...
     :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. Some teams just have no idea how to manage properly, treating rider's badly in regards to equipment, back up etc. and expecting them to perform.

I remember Landis talking about using old bikes in early season while the news ones were sold to fund 'something or other'  ::)
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 17:32 »

Sorry for not being able to understand but Kišerlovski said that i am fastest rider outside pro peloton ;D
    Ok, he said that he has one road and one TT bike at home, at team site he has two more TT bikes (one for race and one for training), plus one road bike for race plus two more for training in bus, plus two or three road bikes (he just do not know) ;D in warehouse, by his own words there is no problemo about bikes.

All in all he said 6-7 road bikes in total, plus 3 TT bikes, and he sucks in TT and having three TT bikes, how many Spartacus having 15 ::)
  • ReplyReply

• DinZ

• 2.2 is where it is at
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 359
    « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 23:35 »
    Have definitely seen reports of Team sky having last years bikes at home for training (i.e. one TT and one road) and this years bikes for racing. plus additional bikes for Grand Tours.

but then Sky have a bigger budget than many teams so i do believe that there would be very little investment in 'non TT' or GC riders.

when i have seen reports of teams going to the wind tunnel it has always been a select few riders taken.

I worked at southampton uni for a while and they had a rolling road wind tunnel that could be used for this sort of testing (as well as race cars) and it used to cost in the region of 35000 an hour to rent. and that was 15 years ago.

• ReplyReply

•