collapse

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
Re: Sky
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2012, 12:14 »
The most significant, indisputable fact in this thread so far is that Teamskyfans has a nuclear contingency plan. Loving Dim for that display of meticulous webmastering. ;D

also have britishcyclingfans.com in the event of sky finishing, or some other issue, would become a site focused purely on british riders of pro-conti level and upwards, and possibly the girls.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #121 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16 »
    My biggest argument against sky doping is brailsford. A doping scandal and he can kiss his knighthood goodbye and we would see a mass removal of mbe's cbe's etc. Funding for british cycling would pretty much cease, and british cycling as a whole would be back to the 80's.

Im not convinced Brailsford, for all his flaws, would be willing to risk destroying everything hes worked for over the last 15 years.

Then again, Lance is busy doing just that.
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #122 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28 »
    You guys are so flipping obsessed with doping, affairs, and Lance that you even dont know how to enjoy in cycling. No one should ever won with such supremacy like Sky, coz doping police is alert and everyone is guilty. Nuts!
    Freaking sad!
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

taiwan

• Passista-Veloce
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    « Reply #123 on: July 08, 2012, 14:49 »
    Copied from the Shoutbox:

Firstly the accusations from the clinic all seem to be a bit wishful and I dont think any of them have a strong enough basis. Also it doesnt really seem to be part of the British culture to have widespread doping and I dont see who high up would have originally introduced it to the team, a lot of these British riders are very against it and I cant imagine they wouldnt speak out and leave if they realised what was going on even if Wiggins, Froome etc were involved. Also Sky's transparency makes it seem unlikely but of course it can be gotten over. Yet on the other hand the perfomances of the Sky riders are pretty unrealistic and it does seem strange, is it due to the marginal gains and training which is so meticulously planned and the new techniques by guys like Kerrison. It could possibly be because logically if you focus on everything then there is no reason a rider shouldnt be on top form. At the same time is seems like Sky riders are doing a bit better than even that and that is where my doubts like my rational brain seems to be contradicting itself but the performance yesterday certainly didnt seem realistic and so I would say that there is a possibility of doping. Concerning Froome I am not sure he would be good evidence for that though because of his parasite disease we never really saw his true potential and now we do seem to be seeing it now that he is rid of the disease and he is up to top form

I think it's worth looking at the situation from the hypothetical point of view that Brits are not innately morally superior to everyone else.

My biggest argument against sky doping is brailsford. A doping scandal and he can kiss his knighthood goodbye and we would see a mass removal of mbe's cbe's etc. Funding for british cycling would pretty much cease, and british cycling as a whole would be back to the 80's.

Im not convinced Brailsford, for all his flaws, would be willing to risk destroying everything hes worked for over the last 15 years.

It sort of depends on the probablility of a scandal, and whether the establishment values cleanliness or results more. If there is ~0 possibility of a scandal even if they are doing stuff, there is no penalty, and if  there were no results there would not be the knighthood and continued funding i the first place. Not that I have reason to doubt the man's intergrity.
  • ReplyReply
  • "The whole world is run on bluff. No race, no nation, no man has any divine right to take
    advantage of others. Why allow the other fellow to bluff you?"

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #124 on: July 08, 2012, 16:26 »
    Jesus, how many needles has been dropped from jersey pockets today, miracle how no one had a flat.
    Congrats to young French man :win and again nice Sky work.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #125 on: July 08, 2012, 18:33 »
    Wiggo responds

PORRENTRUY, Switzerland (VN) — Don’t ask Bradley Wiggins about cynicism in cycling, ever.

The Briton, known for his explosive talent — and equally explosive command of profanities — let reporters here have it when asked what he thought of those who believed that to win the Tour de France riders must be doped “to the gills.”

“Honestly they’re just flipping w***ers. I can’t be doing with people like that,” Wiggins said. “It justifies their own bone idleness… because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives.

“And it’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that kind of sh*t rather than get off their arses and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something.”

He paused, tossed the table and left.

Wiggins is in the yellow jersey headed into Monday’s 45km time trial from Arc-st-Senans to Besançon.
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #126 on: July 08, 2012, 18:56 »
    Quote from: Mello Wiggo=topic=636.msg44739#msg44739 date=1341768789

“Honestly they’re just flipping lonesomes. I can’t be doing with people like that,” Wiggins said. “It justifies their own bone idleness… because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives.

“And it’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that kind of sh*t rather than get off their arses and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something.”

Make an angry statement about people who use the internet as lonesomes (like Cathy Wiggins?) then leave.

Reminds me of, "After cancer i would never put anything in my body against that wasn't pure"

UKPostal didn't show today like yesterday, but saying that, they sure did get a lot of flak for yesterday so maybe plan was to make it look real as Mello Wiggo and Froome felt able enough to handle everything Evans, Nibali or others could throw at them at the end.

RSNT looked like its old self though ::) wonder did a car arrive in the night sent from Hogland with some vitamins.

• ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #127 on: July 08, 2012, 21:20 »

On the other hand all those trappings came from success.There is incentive to use whatever means to achieve that success. Funding for 'close but not quite' is not going to be what it is for masses of gold medals and a TDF victory.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Well don't run with the riders, you twit."

pedaling squares

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 107
    « Reply #128 on: July 08, 2012, 21:23 »
    Concerning Froome I am not sure he would be good evidence for that though because of his parasite disease we never really saw his true potential and now we do seem to be seeing it now that he is rid of the disease and he is up to top form
    That sounds horrifyingly familiar.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #129 on: July 08, 2012, 22:25 »
    :admin While I appreciate its an emotive subject can we try and remain civil please and not stoop to personal insults. Ta.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #130 on: July 08, 2012, 22:30 »
    That sounds horrifyingly familiar.
    And Armstrong came back as a better cyclist even without the dope.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #131 on: July 08, 2012, 22:38 »
    Make an angry statement about people who use the internet as lonesomes (like Cathy Wiggins?) then leave.

Reminds me of, "After cancer i would never put anything in my body against that wasn't pure"

UKPostal didn't show today like yesterday, but saying that, they sure did get a lot of flak for yesterday so maybe plan was to make it look real as Mello Wiggo and Froome felt able enough to handle everything Evans, Nibali or others could throw at them at the end.

RSNT looked like its old self though ::) wonder did a car arrive in the night sent from Hogland with some vitamins.

A British TdF victory by Wiggins would be fantastic for British cycling. A victory by a USA team(BMC) Cadel would be fantastic for US aqnd Aussie cycling. A good showing by Radioshack, would be good for US cycling, they sponsor a lot of the online media cycling races also. At this time RSNT is the highest profile team in the USA and looking at Cyclingnews and Velonews sites is the most popular team at this time, on the English Speaking sites.
    Personally, I would not attackand bite the hand that provides sponsorship to the sport. If you loathe the sport or certain teams, why not just use your time in a more positive manner. Just sayin'.
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #132 on: July 08, 2012, 22:40 »
    Wiggo responds

PORRENTRUY, Switzerland (VN) — Don’t ask Bradley Wiggins about cynicism in cycling, ever.

The Briton, known for his explosive talent — and equally explosive command of profanities — let reporters here have it when asked what he thought of those who believed that to win the Tour de France riders must be doped “to the gills.”

“Honestly they’re just flipping lonesomes. I can’t be doing with people like that,” Wiggins said. “It justifies their own bone idleness… because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives.

Wiggins is in the yellow jersey headed into Monday’s 45km time trial from Arc-st-Senans to Besançon.

I like Brads' statement. Patron of the Peloton returns. Honey Badger/The Badger returns, ya just gotta love his winning attitude!
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #133 on: July 08, 2012, 22:48 »
    I think it's worth looking at the situation from the hypothetical point of view that Brits are not innately morally superior to everyone else.
    As I explained in the shoutbox at the time, of course Brits are not morally superior. But the fact is that cycling is a relatively new sport on such a wide scale level in Britain and there is not that level of doping common yet rather it would have to be developed.

Also for example I will provide the example of Millar and Chambers, the BOA adamantly refused to let them participate in the Olympic games even though for example the USA were happy to allow Merrit to participate, furthermore there were many high profile sports starts and personalities who spoke out against them being included. I dont think there are any countries like that who refused to back down to the law allowing former drug cheats to participate in the Olympics and certainly there wasnt such an uproar from its high profile personalities. I am not saying that the Brits are morally superior we are just as corrupt if not more corrupt than anyone else but we have a different mindset to other countries when it comes to doping
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1106
    « Reply #134 on: July 08, 2012, 22:51 »
    Interesting little thread over on CN

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17728

It's about how the trains work and I thought of mentioning it yesterday but it seemed premature after one day's racing. But today, the Leaky and Lotto train shelled the Sky domestiques so maybe it's worth a look.
  • ReplyReply

• usedtobefast

• Domestique
    • Liked: 77
    « Reply #135 on: July 08, 2012, 23:03 »
    i think anything Rupert Murdoch has his hands in gets tainted. we see it here and i see for sure in the UK. 3rd place was not what they(sky news)signed up for. win or else. these ducks walk like ducks. :win :wave
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    « Reply #136 on: July 08, 2012, 23:47 »
    Cn losing the plot
  • ReplyReply

• bicing

• I'm a bot.
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 148
    • Radioshack Nissan Trek owner
    • Awards: Funniest member 2012Best post 2012Best thread 2012
    Cycman: Sagan Greipel Brajkovic Breschel CA.Sorensen Porte Wegmann Sutton Zubeldia Fedrigo Lastras Roux Selig Morabito Dumoulin T.Meyer
    CQ game-breakers: Boom Ciolek DeGendt Steegmans Bertagnolli Blythe Masciarelli Stetina Boeckmans Vaugrenard

ram

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2012, 00:06 »
    Still, the source? There's the website, but the source? A Michael Rogers search on their website takes me to the Olympics 2008

Interesting little thread over on CN

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17728

It's about how the trains work and I thought of mentioning it yesterday but it seemed premature after one day's racing. But today, the Leaky and Lotto train shelled the Sky domestiques so maybe it's worth a look.
    But clearly Sky are the only ones, no?
  • ReplyReply

• taiwan

• Passista-Veloce
    • Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 36
    « Reply #139 on: July 09, 2012, 00:09 »
    As I explained in the shoutbox at the time, of course Brits are not morally superior. But the fact is that cycling is a relatively new sport on such a wide scale level in Britain and there is not that level of doping common yet rather it would have to be developed.

Also for example I will provide the example of Millar and Chambers, the BOA adamantly refused to let them participate in the Olympic games even though for example the USA were happy to allow Merrit to participate, furthermore there were many high profile sports starts and personalities who spoke out against them being included. I dont think there are any countries like that who refused to back down to the law allowing former drug cheats to participate in the Olympics and certainly there wasnt such an uproar from its high profile personalities. I am not saying that the Brits are morally superior we are just as corrupt if not more corrupt than anyone else but we have a different mindset to other countries when it comes to doping
    Those examples could indicate a hard line on doping or hard line on those who get caught. If we're talking about British culture, I think a focus on the appearance of propriety is a resonant characteristic. But I'm just making this argument to keep an unbiased perspective. Again, I don't have reason to believe doping's used or tolerated in the UK system, but I don't want to have preconceptions based on nationality.
  • ReplyReply

• Gravel Rash

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 6
    « Reply #140 on: July 09, 2012, 03:38 »

I thought both were competing at the Olympics http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18701660
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 518
    « Reply #141 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29 »

:police:

And Armstrong came back as a better cyclist even without the dope.

Q: In what period post-illness was Armstrong not working with Ferrari?

A: 2006-2007

• ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #142 on: July 09, 2012, 07:31 »
    Wiggo responds

“Honestly they’re just flipping w***ers. I can’t be doing with people like that,” Wiggins said. “It justifies their own bone idleness… because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives.

while he might have been genuinely annoyed with the constant questions ... elite sportsmen, representing their team, country, sponsors and selves ... dont have the luxury of saying stuff like that.

Its not acceptable.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #143 on: July 09, 2012, 08:49 »
    while he might have been genuinely annoyed with the constant questions ... elite sportsmen, representing their team, country, sponsors and selves ... dont have the luxury of saying stuff like that.

Its not acceptable.

Hang on, do you mean he actually said that? I thought it was a joke post!  :o
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #144 on: July 09, 2012, 08:50 »
    Hang on, do you mean he actually said that? I thought it was a joke post!  :o

my quote was a direct as far as I can tell
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #145 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55 »
    my quote was a direct as far as I can tell

The foul mouth is classic Brit, but what is "tossing the table"? Does that mean he overturned it in anger like Jesus in the temple and walked off?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #146 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55 »
    The foul mouth is classic Brit, but what is "tossing the table"? Does that mean he overturned it in anger like Jesus in the temple and walked off?

thats what I thought
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #147 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07 »
    thats what I thought

I just saw another quote of the article which said "he tossed the microphone on the table and walked off."

Guess that clears that one up. Wiggins is not the Second Coming. ;D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #148 on: July 09, 2012, 09:12 »
    Some replies

@Vaughters: 'Respect to @bradwiggins'

@ChristianVDV: Just heard @bradwiggins quote from the press conference today. It is so, spot on. Thank you Wiggo.

@markcavendish: Good on @bradwiggins for an honest answer in today's press conference, aimed at people who know nothing better than to be skeptical.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1106
    « Reply #149 on: July 09, 2012, 10:14 »
    Still, the source? There's the website, but the source? A Michael Rogers search on their website takes me to the Olympics 2008
    But clearly Sky are the only ones, no?
    How do you mean ram?

The idea that was discussed is that if you have tempo climbers setting their own tempo at the head of the race, they will be better off than tempo climbers at the back of the bunch. So Rogers and Porte had solid finishes on stage 7 and came nowhere on stage 8 which would seem to support that theory. Clearly two stages isn't much to go on though.
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2017 by hiero
    [September 24, 2017, 22:50]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Mellow Velo
    [September 24, 2017, 22:04]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Echoes
    [September 24, 2017, 21:34]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Servais Knavendish