• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
  • Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 6757
  • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
    • Dopeology.org
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
Re: Sky
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2012, 13:24 »
Shane Stokes has been blocked by Wiggins on Twitter.

Block any number of f**king w**kers by all means but a respectable, respected journo? For publishing an interview featuring somebody's honest opinion?

It's his choice (unless his PR people knobbled him) and he has a race to do, so I could see how he doesn't need the negative psychology right now, but it really seems like a shot in the foot.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #241 on: July 12, 2012, 16:14 »
    Shane Stokes has been blocked by Wiggins on Twitter.

Can you blame Wiggins for blocking Shane, after all it takes total focus to ride the tour. People feel as if they can use twitter, to make war on others. Really hard to understand how Shane could not understand that Wiggins has other interests than a twit=war.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #242 on: July 12, 2012, 16:30 »
    10th in romandie aint that much to brag about, especially when it came from winning a  long tt in which Valverde came 2nd.

giro was not that special either - compared to what he is doing now. I mean once the big mountains came he was losing minutes. he held the pink for a flat stage then lost it to Arroyo over monte grappa, hardly the most challenging mountain stage they had that year. He lost what was it 4 on Zoncolan and more of the same on Mortirolo. And by this point he had all team leader privelages behind him and was fighting for the white.

In fact you do not mention the best performance he had that year, and the one that might just could have suggested there was some real climbing talent in him. Going with the heads of state in San sebatian despite not doing the TDF.
    Not much to brag about?

I hadn't looked at the field but since you raise it...

1.       [SLO]         SPILAK Simon       LAM       17h38'06"       240   
        2.       [RUS]         MENCHOV Denis       RAB       10"       180   
        3.       [AUS]         ROGERS Michael       THR       24"       145   
        4.       [RUS]         KARPETS Vladimir       KAT       31"       132   
        5.       [SLO]         BRAJKOVIC Janez       RSH       41"       120   
        6.       [POR]         MACHADO Tiago Jose Pinto       RSH       01'05"       108   
        7.       [ITA]         PINOTTI Marco       THR       01'16"       96   
        8.       [SUI]         WYSS Marcel       CTT       01'17"       85   
        9.       [ESP]         ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor       EUS       01'23"       74   
        10.       [AUS]         PORTE Richie       SAX       01'59"       63   
        11.       [FRA]         MOREAU Christophe       GCE       02'06"       55   
        12.       [SVK]         SAGAN Peter       LIQ       02'21"       49   
        13.       [USA]         VANDE VELDE Christian       GRM       02'36"       44   
        14.       [FRA]         ROY Jérémy       FDJ       02'39"       39   
        15.       [FRA]         CASAR Sandy       FDJ       02'45"       34   
        16.       [ESP]         ZUBELDIA AGIRRE Haimar       RSH       02'55"       31   
        17.       [ITA]         CAPECCHI Eros       FOT       03'09"       28   
        18.       [FRA]         GADRET John       ALM       03'34"       25   
        19.       [ESP]         RUBIERA VIGIL Jose Luis       RSH       03'48"       22   
        20.       [FRA]         DUPONT Hubert       ALM       04'03"       20   

That's some field and for someone to come straight in at that level is pretty astonishing - just for being able to hold onto the peloton.

Amazed by your brushing off a 7th place finish in the Giro too.  Gaps were huge that year.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 571
    « Reply #243 on: July 12, 2012, 17:32 »
    Porte was a liability today, maybe still some hope that Rogers is the only one doping.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11114
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #244 on: July 12, 2012, 17:35 »
    Today stage 11 was c razy but not for the reason you think

Well mick was a bit mental.

But really slow stage 18.00 cet finish and strange for how many riders could not handel the efforts.

Really really slow but too much for 95%.

Maybe something to consider re sky
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #245 on: July 12, 2012, 17:40 »
    How fast did the climb the last 2 main climbs though, they could have done everything else slowly but if they climbed Croix de Fer and La Toussuire fast then it is understandable that everything would unravel.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #246 on: July 12, 2012, 17:41 »
    Porte was a liability today, maybe still some hope that Rogers is the only one doping.
    Not so much a liability I believe rather than him being in the wrong position, Rogers was clearly stronger and he should have been 3rd man not Porte.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #247 on: July 12, 2012, 17:55 »
    BTW does anyone think Rogers is a "super-responder"? Ferrari always thought that he had the "numbers" to win the Tour. Something didn't go right in cutting the weight from his TT days and lost significant power, we know Sky can fix that.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11114
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #248 on: July 12, 2012, 18:06 »
    BTW does anyone think Rogers is a "super-responder"? Ferrari always thought that he had the "numbers" to win the Tour. Something didn't go right in cutting the weight from his TT days and lost significant power, we know Sky can fix that.

Who knows way too much noise in there, ITT stuff, mono and crashes.
  • ReplyReply

• Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #249 on: July 12, 2012, 18:07 »
    Yep, as they say, our Tommy D!
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #250 on: July 12, 2012, 19:40 »

rodgers is very dicy!
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• everything and nothing.
    • Classics Winner
    • Liked: 485

Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #252 on: July 12, 2012, 21:31 »
    Whats the deal with froome? will he be given giro or tdf next year or the plan will still be b wiggins at all cost.
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1122
    « Reply #253 on: July 12, 2012, 21:37 »

cf= chris froome.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/features/inside-the-mind-of-dave-brailsford/
    That confirms again that EBH really is a physical freak, who is wasting his talent at Sky though. Saxo could do with a rider like him.
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #254 on: July 12, 2012, 22:23 »

cf= chris froome.

To be fair, thats Lionel Bernies interpretation of what Brailsford was saying as opposed to what DB actually said. John Lee was blighted with injury, Froome had what looks like long term illness, Lars Peter has just been a slow starter, and Bernie is a bit of a schmuck. Hes like Britains Anthony Tan. You only have to look where he had Chris Sutton who has had several  world tour podiums
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #255 on: July 12, 2012, 22:28 »
    Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound
    Anybody else spot the rope-a-dope today or was it that convincing?? :)))

for clarity :) rope-a-dope: strategies in which one party purposely puts itself in what appears to be a losing position
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #256 on: July 12, 2012, 22:34 »

for clarity :) rope-a-dope: strategies in which one party purposely puts itself in what appears to be a losing position

:fp
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #257 on: July 12, 2012, 22:57 »

Did Cathy Wiggins not respond?  ::)
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Arb

• Road Captain
    « Reply #258 on: July 13, 2012, 02:22 »

cf= chris froome.

The way I read that, Thomas or Uran were more likely to have an explosion at this time than Froome. Froome is actually dead last?

Edit: Read dim's post, you mean there's another Anthony Tan?  :o
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2012, 02:27 »
    Thomas Lofkvist- WT podium ;D

Thought it was TIernan Locke for a second, that would be more realistic.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #260 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03 »
    you dont know anything  :fp

To those that have been criticising my comments from yesterday, I stand by them. I know all the facts, all the details that you don't
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #261 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06 »
    Thomas Lofkvist- WT podium ;D

Thought it was TIernan Locke for a second, that would be more realistic.

Thomas lofkvist was a great talent and big things were expected of him.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2012, 12:12 »
    Just laughing in hindsight mate, I saw his first Giro and he was good for most of it. Anyway, also goes to show that the graph is just hopes.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1285
    « Reply #263 on: July 13, 2012, 12:18 »
    Thomas lofkvist was a great talent and big things were expected of him.
    Yup. Before the Wiggins signing happened late on in proceedings, Lofkvist would have been the team leader.

And I suppose he is the evidence that not everything Sky touches grows wings.
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3370
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #264 on: July 13, 2012, 12:56 »
    Very well written blog by Wiggins in todays Guardian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/13/bradley-wiggins-dope-drugs?CMP=twt_gu

An extract

If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house. Everything I have achieved, my Olympic medals, my world titles, the CBE I was given. I would have to take my children to the school gates in a small Lancashire village with everyone looking at me, knowing I had cheated, knowing I had, perhaps, won the Tour de France, but then been caught. I remember in 2007 throwing that Cofidis kit in the bin at that small airport, where no one knew me, because I didn't want any chance of being associated with doping. Then I imagine how it would be in a tiny community where everyone knows everyone.

It's not just about me. I've always lived in the UK. All my friends in cycling are here, and my extended family. Cycling isn't just about me and the Tour de France. My wife organises races in Lancashire. I have my own sportif, with people coming and paying £40 each to ride. If all that was built on sand, if I was deceiving all those people, I would have to live with the knowledge it could all disappear just like that. My father-in-law works at British Cycling and would never be able to show his face there again. Their family have been in cycling for 50 years, and I would bring shame and embarrassment on them. It's not just about me: if I doped it would jeopardise Sky – who sponsor the entire sport in the UK – Dave Brailsford and all he has done, and Tim Kerrison, my trainer. I would not want to end up sitting in a room with all that hanging on me, thinking: "sh*t, I don't want anyone to find out."

That is not something I wish to live with. Doping would simply be not worth it. This is only sport we are talking about. Sport does not mean more to me than all those other things I have. Winning the Tour de France at any cost is not worth the possibility of losing all that.

I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip: at the end of the day, I'm a shy bloke looking forward to taking my son to summer rugby camp after the Tour, where he could maybe bump into his hero, Sam Tomkins. That's what's keeping me going here. What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves
  • ReplyReply

• thingswelike

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #265 on: July 13, 2012, 13:07 »
    Phew - I must say, I'm very pleased he's written this.
    The assumption of guilt has been taken too far by many. I hope this at least tempers that slightly.
  • ReplyReply

• Zam

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #266 on: July 13, 2012, 18:51 »
    Completely off topic and nothing to with doping .. Since there are alot of brits posting.. Why didnt charlie wegelius and one more guy didn't want to ride for hammond at the 2005 world championship? Any particular reason? ... I dont want to open a new thread just to ask a question.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #267 on: July 13, 2012, 20:41 »
    From what I can remember didn't Wegelius and some others ride for Italian teams and they may have got a fee too.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/southam-and-wegelius-blasted-for-performance-at-worlds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2366613/Herety-resigns-over-team-tactics.html

Later said he regretted it.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #268 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06 »
    Very well written blog by Wiggins in todays Guardian
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/13/bradley-wiggins-dope-drugs?CMP=twt_gu

An extract

Came here to post this. Wiggins comes across much better when he has time to collect his thoughts than in press conferences.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 215
    « Reply #269 on: July 14, 2012, 19:10 »
    While Wiggins piece in the Guardian explaining why he wont dope goes someway to helping appease people, he has not backed it up with saying he will post the data online to prove he is clean, ie the data that ASO got to see.

But saying he stands to lose everything is reminiscent of Armstrong saying he would never dope after having cancer, ie cause he has too much to lose.

So again while it would be nice to believe Sky are doing it clean, i doubt it as i doubt others race clean. It is too easy to get away with micro doping so others are definitely doing it, RSNT, OPQS, Katusha, Astana etc yet Sky is the dominant team.

• ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.