collapse

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1751
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
Post Danmark Rundt (Tour of Denmark)
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:54 »
Teams
Click here
The teams do not look so strong, also is Astana going with six riders, I thought Westra was meant to ride as well.
´
Route
Click here

Stage 1
Stage one runs from Hobro to Mariager, it runs through a lot of stunning nature, Rebild Bakker is worth mentioning here (See picture) However the lack of TV-coverage will mean that it won't get showcased to the world. Later on the riders ride by the east coast of Jutland, wind is almost always coming from the west so this should cause no problems, the laps inside Mariager is interesting. While there is a cobbled hill, some marble stones that have been inserted down into the cobbles, however the corner heading into the climb is also cobbled, and with very ancient cobbles (Don't know the name of the style, it is called "Pigsten" in Danish, but see 2nd picture) The name of the climb by the way is Fuglsang and there is a house at the bottom of the climb by the same name. After the climb there is a rather technical decent before the finish line. If there is any time gaps they will be minute, however the chance of someone crashing and holding up a bunch of riders is huge. I honestly doubt the peloton will make it through the corner into the climb, and the teams that know the climb will have a huge advantage. Cult has been scouting the route I've heard.

My pick: Magnus Cort

Stage 2
Going to Aarhus from Skive another day where stunning nature is missed by the lack of TV-coverage. The finishing lap around Aarhus is the traditional one that by the race organizers home page is mentioned as being hard - In reality Greipel has won on it, so it clearly isn't the case. Probably no impact on the GC from this stage, unless someone takes bonus seconds. Will be interesting to get a first glimpse of who will be the sprinter to watch though.

My pick: Gerald Ciolek

Stage 3
Skanderborg to Vejle, same circuit as always, Kiddesvej should cause minor gaps, but they should be nothing compared to what can be won and lost on the ITT.

My pick: Matti Brechel

Stage 4
This stage is a half stage around the area of Funen where the ITT helped Westra win in 2012 overall. It is a complete Sprint Stage that starts in Nyborg and ends in Odense by the park called Fruens Bøge.

My pick: Michael Mørkøv

Stage 5
The ITT is in Middelfart (Before anybody asks, yes that is the name of the town) This will be the decider, 15.1Km, if you can avoid losing time on the other stages you might well win it here. Another fun name fact is that "Middelfart" means "medium speed" in Danish which makes it an interesting place to have a short ITT. Middelfart like a lot of other small Danish towns have gone nuts with roundabouts so rain could ruin anyones run at the win.

My pick: Rasmus Quaade

Stage 6
Kalundborg to Copenhagen or well Frederiksberg to be precise, Frederiksberg is a town located entirely inside the city of Copenhagen, and apart from the road signs changing colour it is hard to spot the difference. The finishing laps are increased but there is only the faux hill of Valby Bakke to create the illusion of this not being a sprint finish.

My pick: Gerald Ciolek

Overall
Bardiani and Top Sport Vlaanderen will likely place a couple of riders well overall as well as on any given stage. However in the end it will likely be a battle of Fuglsang, Bak and whoever Tinkoff rallies behind (Cort if he has a good day on the ITT). In case Westra actually rides I think he will win by quite a large margin. A fun fact includes that Team Europcar does not take part in the race despite being a sponsor of the race. In terms of secondary classifications the sprint classification is probably won by a good sprinter that can place well on the harder stages too, whereas the hill competition is something for the Conti teams to chase (Along with Novo of cause). If a sprinter dominates the sprint even a sprinter might win.

My pick: Lars Bak (Westra if he rides)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 21:32 by DB-Coop »

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11264
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: Post Danmark Rundt (Tour of Denmark)
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09 »
    today's finishing loop:

Alex Rasmussen won two stages in Poland last week, so he seems to be in good shape. If he can hang on until the time trial he might have a chance to fight for the win as well.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:51 »
    Alex Rasmussen won two stages in Poland last week, so he seems to be in good shape. If he can hang on until the time trial he might have a chance to fight for the win as well.

True, Konovalovas could win it the same way.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00 »
    Also the complete start list is out, 108 riders will start the race.

Startlist:

Source: http://www.postdanmarkrundt.dk/index.php?p=menu/side.php&menu=5
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:40 »
    Stage 3
    Skanderborg to Vejle and what is the main point here is that the Vejle loop has been made a lot easier. Kiddesvej should still cause minor gaps, but they should be nothing compared to what can be won and lost on the ITT.

what exactly has changed there? on the map it looks identical to me, compared to last year
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6915
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 13:58 »
    There is no chance at all that Alex R will survive the Vejle stage within reach of the best, even in stunning form.
    If he does, I'll eat a cake. ;)

Konovalovas could do it, but Alex R? No way.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 14:02 »
    There is no chance at all that Alex R will survive the Vejle stage within reach of the best, even in stunning form.

not the usual one, no, I was refering to DB saying it was a lot easier this year
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 14:06 »
    not the usual one, no, I was refering to DB saying it was a lot easier this year
    Even if it were - I haven't read anything about it anywhere else - it still features Kiddesvej.
    No way is Alex R going to survive, or even attempt to survive.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 16:52 »
    DB's prediction was right: Magnus Cort won

only the top 3 have been published so far, but if Agnoli finished 3rd there can't have been many sprinters left.

de Buyst finally with some kind of "breakthrough" on the road - unfortunately a bit too late for my 2013 cq game ambitions
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 17:26 »
    meanwhile the result has been published

http://www.postdanmarkrundt.dk/docs/elementer/20140806-1617-99.pdf

only 39 riders finished in the first group, everyone else lost a minute or more (including Quaade, Konovalovas, Morkov, Breschel...)

Not sure Alex Rasmussen is still in contention with +7:54 :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 17:28 »
    only the top 3 have been published so far, but if Agnoli finished 3rd there can't have been many sprinters left.
    Apparently the entire 107 riders that finished (only #wanty Vanlandschoot is DNF) got the same time.
    This stage was anything but a normal sprint stage though, with the final circuit being partly cobbled, somewhat technical and with a (for Denmark) tough hill. I imagine that some of the foreign teams got caught out by that, and sprint trains simply got derailed, making it a one-on-one race where the strongest riders ended up in front.

EDIT: Disregard everything I said, I'm talking sh*t. 39 riders in same time only, 40th rider 1'09" behind already.

Cort knew the route, and he's perfect on these finishes. Logical winner.
    Now let's see what he can do in Vejle on Friday ... :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 17:30 »
    Apparently the entire 107 riders that finished (only #wanty Vanlandschoot is DNF) got the same time.

first rule: never ever trust PCS :P
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 18:18 »
    what exactly has changed there? on the map it looks identical to me, compared to last year

I am wrong I see, somewhere in my mind there is memory of it being up Kiddesvej and down Kollingvej on a much shorter circuit, but I may be wrong and mistaken it.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 21:24 »
    only 39 riders finished in the first group, everyone else lost a minute or more (including Quaade, Konovalovas, Morkov, Breschel...)

Quaade was in the BOTD, he told danish TV that he really didn't want to even, really makes you wonder how you end up in the break on accident. He only barely dropped down and it might be a great mistake being in the BOTD, had he stayed with the leaders today, he might have been able to lose half a minute in Vejle and still win on the ITT.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19 »
    does anyone know why Guldhammer is still racing for Trefor? Wasn't he supposed to become a stagiare at Tinkoff?!
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 13:07 »
    does anyone know why Guldhammer is still racing for Trefor? Wasn't he supposed to become a stagiare at Tinkoff?!

The deal was he would join Tinkoff after PDR, quite normal for danish stagiares I think.

http://www.cyklingdanmark.dk/index.php?p=nyheder/profil.php&nyhed=22321
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 19:01 »
    Stage 2 and my pick took 2nd do to MTN messing up in the last corner.

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 00:10 »
    Stage 2 highlights

http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/post-danmark-rundt-2014/post-danmark-rundt-2014-2-etape

including some real highlights this time - at ~9:35 :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 15:18 »
    including some real highlights this time - at ~9:35 :D
    Yeah, this race's TV coverage is notoriously embarrassing.

One of very few HC race not to be broadcasted live. Yes, "it costs a lot of money" ... but honestly, with only 14 teams in the race this year (including only three WT teams), and a sub-par TV coverage, the Tour of Denmark has to look at itself - and improve for next year.
    Otherwise the HC status could be under threat.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 16:02 »
    ...when I even mention a time stamp, I am probably not talking about the general quality of the highlight coverage, but about Boaro's classy celebration - one lap early :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 16:13 »
    ...to do everything right today - and win

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 16:20 »
    Tiesj Benoot 3rd, wow, good start as a stagiaire for Lotto
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 10:10 »

One of very few HC race not to be broadcasted live. Yes, "it costs a lot of money" ... but honestly, with only 14 teams in the race this year (including only three WT teams), and a sub-par TV coverage, the Tour of Denmark has to look at itself - and improve for next year.
    Otherwise the HC status could be under threat.

Part of the reason why so few teams want to race is the poor TV coverage imo. I wonder what if they hired Belgian TV to do it, then give the rights as part of a package, this would mean Lotto, Wanty, TSV and OPQS would want to ride at least.

Also another issue is the point in the Calendar, a lot of riders doring the tour is resting, doing crits and what not, on top of that it is basically being robbed of the best riders by two other races. Poland because teams want WT points, and Utah because of all the American sponsors make riders race it even though it has same prestige as Beijing.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 10:45 »
    Part of the reason why so few teams want to race is the poor TV coverage imo. I wonder what if they hired Belgian TV to do it, then give the rights as part of a package, this would mean Lotto, Wanty, TSV and OPQS would want to ride at least.
    Well, Lotto, Wanty and TSV are riding it already - and OPQS did last year. ;)
    But it's a good point. After all, cycling teams are essentially rolling advertisement (whether for a product, a country or just a rich guy), and good coverage will mean that it's good value to go to a given race. Poor or no coverage means that there's very little reason to travel all that way from where most teams are based - Western Europe - to Scandinavia, especially as riders can cash in way more money on the post-Tour crit circuit.

Also another issue is the point in the Calendar, a lot of riders doring the tour is resting, doing crits and what not, on top of that it is basically being robbed of the best riders by two other races. Poland because teams want WT points, and Utah because of all the American sponsors make riders race it even though it has same prestige as Beijing.
    Yes, that's definitely a problem. I mean, look at the Arctic Tour of Norway - only the 2nd edition this year, and they have 5 WT teams (PDR has 3) and 8 ProConti (PDR has 7, and #novonordisk hardly counts competition-wise). It gets a lot of press coverage, also internationally - a lot of that has to be down to it being an ASO race.
    Knowing the DCU I'm aware that I'm dreaming here, but if PDR could team up with ASO and the Arctic Tour to offer a "package deal" of Scandinavian racing (like Utah & Colorado plus Alberta & GP Quebec/Montreal already do, if informal), that could give a boost to both races.
    Because this year, the Arctic Tour looks more prestigious than PDR. As PDR has 25 years of history, that's sad, and should be a real wake-up call to those in charge.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 20:56 »
    Yes, that's definitely a problem. I mean, look at the Arctic Tour of Norway - only the 2nd edition this year, and they have 5 WT teams (PDR has 3) and 8 ProConti (PDR has 7, and #novonordisk hardly counts competition-wise). It gets a lot of press coverage, also internationally - a lot of that has to be down to it being an ASO race.
    Knowing the DCU I'm aware that I'm dreaming here, but if PDR could team up with ASO and the Arctic Tour to offer a "package deal" of Scandinavian racing (like Utah & Colorado plus Alberta & GP Quebec/Montreal already do, if informal), that could give a boost to both races.
    Because this year, the Arctic Tour looks more prestigious than PDR. As PDR has 25 years of history, that's sad, and should be a real wake-up call to those in charge.

Don't like the idea about teaming up with the ASO, to be honest I think if we are to have a good route we need someone actively discovering new routes to ride, they need a more active route selection. The lack of TV makes it almost impossible to get teams, basically a team like Lotto has no reason to go, who in Denmark plays the Belgian Lotto? To be fair I'd rather like to see the UCI take more action, there is far too many 2.1 and 2.HC races. Norway having three is a perfect example, the UCI need to cap races harder and give different places in the Calendar to different areas imo. Poland should be a 2.2 while the Peace Race should be WT, and be raced in it's traditional spot, during the Giro. Leaving Amgen to take Beijing's spot on the WT and other American races to be put near it. I would also say that WT teams should be allowed to pick 2 countries where they will be allowed to ride 2.2's then.

As far as the teams in Denmark you have to give Worre some credit I think, TSV and Bardiani are great teams to have in any race, and UHC has really rode well so far as well imo. Another thing is Lotto really deserves a shout out for bringing a great team too, I would like to see them work with Belgian TV as races in Belgium are always good so TV in Belgium would lead to Belgian Teams wanting to send their best talent. While we are in the shout out section, shout out to Jutlander Bank for making the best KOM jersey I've ever seen, that jersey is a work of art.

A couple of these new races I really hate, Arctic Race being one of them, it is a infomercial stunt of a race, had a rather bland route last year, boring sights and no crowds. If PDR had TV coverage would it not be a much better spectacle, especially if the route was upgraded a bit?
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 16:30 »
    I certainly didn't expect this outcome.

#astana Astana said that they'd ride for Lutsenko, trying to make up the 10-second deficit to #yellow #tinkoff Boaro through bonus seconds at the intermediate sprints and at the finish. The plan worked well initially, with Lutsenko winning both intermediates, putting him only 4 seconds behind the Italian.

But between Roskilde and the final circuits in Frederiksberg, a sizeable group of 13 riders formed through several attacks. With a massive 3 #trefor TreFor-Blue Water riders - they were really trying to salvage something after being so close to a stage win earlier. But also with #lotto Lars Bak (40" behind Boaro in GC) and #champdk #tinkoff Michael Valgren (25" behind in GC). There was a brief disintegration with 40 km to go, caused by #trefor Rasmus Quaade's reckless, no-holds-barred tempo riding - he was called out by Bak "think, man, there's 40 k left". But otherwise the group worked well together, and kept the gap between 35 seconds and 1 minute.
    In the peloton, only #astana Astana were chasing at first (for Lutsenko), later #wanty Wanty-Groupe Gobert joined in (for Napolitano), then also #mtn MTN-Qhubeka (for Ciolek). Finally #concordia Riwal took to the front massively (for Alex R.), but it was all for naught - the breakaway held off the chasers by 42 seconds.
    #bardiani Nicola Boem took the stage win, and Michael Valgren overtook his Italian teammate on the final stage - the Danish champion also winning the Tour of Denmark. Lars Bak was the overall runner-up, and Boaro was, in the end, left with the third podium spot. Something he wasn't happy about at all; he looked on the brink of tears as he had thought his win a formality. As did I - Frederiksberg Allé had so far always seen mass sprints, this was the first time a breakaway made it to the finish.

• ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 17:06 »
    From the results looks like Baridani flat out stole this stage win, Agnoli should have been wheel sucking for extra power in the sprint. Also sad that Patrick Clausen DNF'ed and was not one of the Trefor BW riders in the break.

• ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 17:17 »
    Seems like the good news won't end 50k live next year  :cool
    http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article4958772.ece
  • ReplyReply

•