collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10826
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Cannondale news
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:24 »
As good as place to start as any, the combining of teams, in fact turns out to be a merger of sorts.

Cannondale execs get 2 spots on the slipstream board, team has a bike and components sponsor well forever.

POC probably and long term Garmin staying for next year.

The
Ok this gets a bit messey

Cannondale-Garmin / Garmin-Cannondale

Current garmin riders staying

Among the 14 riders who have contracts with Slipstream Sports for are Andrew Talansky, Daniel Martin, Ryder Hesjedal, Tom Danielson, Ben King, Nathan Haas, Sebastian Langeveld, Tom-Jelte Slagter, Nick Nuyens, Nate Brown, André Cardoso, Norman Hansen Lasse, Ramunas Navardauskas, and Dylan Van Baarle.

6 or the 8 riders offered contracts

Moreno Moser,  Matej Mohoric, Kristijan Koren, Alan Marangoni, and Elia Viviani.

One rider contracted with Cannondale, Davide Formolo, has already signed a Slipstream contract

not sure the other 2

Ted King Phil Gaimon Steele von Hoff Farrer Wurf and Bennett all looking for new teams

Saint Millar retires

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/slipstream-sports-confirms-cannondale-sponsorship_341719#ZIChD24WRttsWihq.99

a re merger though as Cannondale are on the board of Slipstream now

long term sponsor deal

Garmin say they will honor all contracts that Canondale has signed, Davide Villella was in his first year, only 2 year deals to neo-pro's so he must be one of the two. By the same logic the other must be Alberto Bettiol.

Funny how a team changes.

USA mainly with a touch of OZ for Garmin, Italian with a touch of Sagan for Cannondale.

Most oz gone from Garmin and Sagan from Cannondale

so now we get a real mix of old north American Doper, younger GC talents in Dan and Andrew and whole bunch of Italian kids
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 17:10 by L'arri »
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 852
    Re: Garmin-Cannondale news
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 17:14 »
    Excited to see what kind of horrible blue-green kit they come up with for 2015
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 553
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 18:24 »
    Excited to see what kind of horrible blue-green kit they come up with for 2015

Vaughters said "lime green argyle" no blue involved. Garmin will remain as a supplier

do you think Sram will remain with Cannondale, so that the team will not have to buy their Shimano groups?
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3364
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 19:14 »
    He said "at the moment its green argyle" and "at the moment its team cannondale"

I would assume thats just while they are dotting i's and crossing t's on what "garmins" status will be.

I dont think "at the moment" will be the "final"

That said, Dan Martins green argyle was lovely..

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34 »

Amadio said Cannondale is leaving behind one of cycling’s prized, 18 first-division licenses in the process. He has no intentions to find a new sponsor and continue the team. He will instead ride out the 2014 season — he is now in Spain with Sagan for the Vuelta a España — before deciding his next move.

“It’s too early to say what everyone’s going to do,” added Amadio. “The team is trying to organize itself, the mechanics, the masseurs and the staff. We’ll have to see in this period if they are able to find work. They are all great people, so I think that most of them will be able to find a solution.”

Times are tough, however, in Italy. Earlier in August, the nation’s economy slid back into a recession for a third time since 2008, with national public debt still hovering at 2 trillion euros ($2.65 trillion). Without Cannondale in Italy, only Lampre-Merida remains the country’s only first division team for 2015.

“Italy has the riders, resources and directors who are smart, capable and able to build great team. When the economy returns to a good level in Italy, the big teams will return, as well,” Amadio said. “I’m afraid we’re going to have to wait a few years before that happens.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/news/cannondale-slipstream-merger-a-reflection-of-italys-economic-woes_341987#uVZLjjvqD2TtSeHy.99
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1906
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 22:32 »
    Team Cannondale takes shape as Vaughters lines up new roster

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-cannondale-takes-shape-as-vaughters-lines-up-new-roster

The team confirmed to Cyclingnews that Janier Alexis Acevedo, Nate Brown, André Cardoso, Tom Danielson, Lasse Norman Hansen, Ryder Hesjedal, Alex Howes, Ben King, Sebastian Langeveld, Dan Martin, Ramunas Navardauskas, Tom Jelte Slagter, Andrew Talansky and Dylan van Baarle all have deals for next year.
    From Garmin-Sharp’s existing team Jack Bauer, Thomas Dekker, Caleb Fairly, Koldo Fernandez, Phillip Gaimon, Raymond Kreder, Lachlan Morton, Nick Nuyens, Johan Vansummeren, Tyler Farrar, Steele von Hoff and Fabian Wegmann are out of contract.

Vaughters would not confirm which riders from the out of contract list would be offered new deals but Cyclingnews understands that at least Bauer and Vansummeren would be given offers.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:55 »
    Subtle pot shot at JV by Ryan  :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exclusive-dan-martin-interview-lessons-in-success

not much in it, except Garmin staff all staying seems little Cannondale, have a feeling this may blow up like the last merge
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:27 »
    Subtle pot shot at JV by Ryan  :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exclusive-dan-martin-interview-lessons-in-success

not much in it, except Garmin staff all staying seems little Cannondale, have a feeling this may blow up like the last merge

I suppose that we can say it was all about business, this merger, because these are two very, very different team cultures that are now expected to find a way forward. The irony is that cycling on the ground is nothing like business. I think that every team has a cultural balance that is probably quite delicate.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it, but the good thing is that some guys get to stay at the top level who might otherwise not have found a contract without extreme difficulties. I could see there being a sort of two-speed team.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 12:40 »
    I suppose that we can say it was all about business, this merger, because these are two very, very different team cultures that are now expected to find a way forward. The irony is that cycling on the ground is nothing like business. I think that every team has a cultural balance that is probably quite delicate.

It will be interesting to see if they can do it, but the good thing is that some guys get to stay at the top level who might otherwise not have found a contract without extreme difficulties. I could see there being a sort of two-speed team.

I think much depends on Ted King if he signs, that bridge between the Italian and North American,  and if say Moser wins early to bring the win from the Cannondale side.

lets hope they signnTed King  :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 16:30 »
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36 »
    Just an observation... I've read more about Joe Dombrowski in the last 2 days by following JV's Twitter than I did in all of his 2 years at Sky.

Remind me which team is run by the global media conglomerate..?
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 852
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 17:25 »
    Wow  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 17:33 »
    He's not doing himself any favours. What a chump.
  • ReplyReply

• Wallenquist

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 58
      • Under19Zone
    « Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 18:39 »
    Later he says that signing Nuyens was one of the biggest mistakes. Well, at least he's honest :)
  • ReplyReply
  • My little blog about juniors cycling

Under19Zone

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23 »
    You don't tweet this and then expect no response on it.

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/555769816041013248

A bit ugly-public from Vaughters but it is what we have come to expect. His later replies on Nuyens amount to a half-story of insinuations ...

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/555842650436157440

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/555875194321920002

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/555874196077555713

https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/555881941342232577

Perhaps he is more sensitive to criticism than he would pretend.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:35 by L'arri »

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 21:15 »
    On a definetly less controversial note, neo-pro Skjerping will be replacing Azevedo for Tour de San Luis. Skjerping is more of a flatlander and in an interview reveals that his tactics for the mountains in Argentina is to grab Mark Cavendish' wheel and hold on to it on all the climbs.   :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 09:32 »
    Perhaps he is more sensitive to criticism than he would pretend.
    Oh, there's no pretending about it. JV has always been very open about his own thin skin. His feeling are easily hurt, and he's not very good at letting criticism go. Which makes his own behavior so perplexing. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. One of the reasons he catches so much flak is because he dishes it out.

His often-immaturity on Twitter is matched reasonably well by Bruyneel, funnily enough.  :-x

It's all part of the comedy show that is pro cycling. And they wonder why it's hard to take any of them seriously.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 14:29 »
    .. Skjerping is more of a flatlander and in an interview reveals that his tactics for the mountains in Argentina is to grab Mark Cavendish' wheel and hold on to it on all the climbs.   :lol

That is what he said and this is what he did:

Stage 2: -> Mirador de Potrero
    Cavendish 90th, Skjerping 98th, finished on same time

Stage 5: -> Alto El Amago
    Skjerping 91st, Cavendish 97th, finished on same time.

Stage 9: -> Filo SIerras Comechingones
    Cavendish 100th position, Skjerping 103rd - same time again

I am lost for words when it comes to describe this, but Skjerping is definetly a man for his words.
     :S Looking forward to the day when he says his plan is to win the Ronde  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 11:43 »
    While I was sick recently, I came across a bunch of unusual written features on riders in last year's Tour, the sort of thing you never see in Anglophone publications. These were written by sometime CN contributor and DirectVélo honcho Pierre Carrey for French lefty daily Libération and, because they focus on the man rather than the current results, they're just as relevant months later. I'll try to translate some of them in the coming days...

The Uncontrollable Alex Howes

Survival kit for the Tour de France: an autograph book, a t-shirt with a map of France printed on it, another "casual" t-shirt. And a packet of cigarettes, "in case things turn really bad". The folks back in Colorado have thought of everything for their buddy Alex Howes, who has joined up for the toughest bike race in the world. At the bottom of the package, there is a block of sticky notes, each one including an inspirational phrase.

After the rain and snow of the 2013 Milan-Sanremo, he declared while changing clothes: "I had forgotten that I had such a small dick!" Explaining how he feels a bit Tea Party and a bit hippy at the same time (but a bit more hippy), he says: "I mean I'm all-American: the eagle, the flag, liberty and barbecues. I'm talking about firing guns and fighting for gay marriage."

Those friends who put a survival knife in the package know him well. Howes hoards seemingly useless objects, like the harmonica he played at the start of the national championships. His friend Julian Kyer reveals: "for Hallowe'en, he bought an American cravat with a tiger on it and a pipe shaped like an ear of corn. He still wears the cravat and he keeps the pipe in his car. He likes to pull on it when he's driving." Howes completes the picture with real intellectual spectacles and sometimes an equally authentic moustache or beard.

For the Tour, his friends have sent him a pretty depressing book, the story of a theatre boss who worked for the Nazis. He reads a lot. Son of a primary teacher and a satellite systems engineer, Howes is the happy administrator of the Pro Cyclists Book Club, membership reserved for enlightened riders like himself. The conditions for admission are very strict: one must read at least one book per month, except for those of more than 400 pages ("read the Koran in your own time!"), teenage novels, cycling literature and "stupid crap about Lance".

He is easily misunderstood. In Colorado, the cool kids shun him when he goes off salmon fishing. French riders complain because he makes a game out of braking as little as possible while in the peloton. When he steps onto a dancefloor completely sober, his moves make the bartender think he is totally drunk.

At 19, he was the youngest pro in the peloton but when his team, the future Garmin, decided to beef up its roster, he was asked to go back to the amateurs. Hence the shipwreck of his French education: one season at VC La Pomme Marseille in 2008. Depressed, without having learned a word of the language, Howes weaved hammocks and slept in until noon. His friends sent over peanut butter by the pallet.

"You could see he had something in those legs, but he was living on another planet," remembers Mathieu Delarozière. "Sometimes we got the impression that he just didn't care about any of us!" Still admiring of Howes, the former teammate recalls a time trial at the Tour des Corbières: "Ten minutes before the start, he was still having siesta in a van, laidback almost like he had a straw in his mouth. Five minutes before he was due off, he stuffed on his shorts with the bibs over his jersey. We waited for hours at the finish line wondering what had happened to him!" Suddenly, Howes appeared, bike in one hand, shoes in the other, walking lightly in his socks. His chain had broken and he'd lost it in a field. "Really, you'd never have believed this guy would end up riding a Tour de France one day!"

http://www.liberation.fr/sports/2014/07/20/l-incontrolable-alex-howes_1067382 (FR)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 02:16 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vaughters-on-cannondale-garmins-past-and-future

"With the Cervélo merger, it was a lot of really big contracts that we couldn’t necessarily afford and some riders who were very concrete in their thinking, and weren’t really open to doing things a new way," Vaughters told Cyclingnews. "Some of them were able to integrate and were great guys, and others were just more set in their ways."

Yaaaah, I pulled out my magnifying glass, read between the lines, and came up with...

Thor Hushovd

Honesly,  I was quite happy for Thor when he won the Worlds, but for all of his time at Garmin I thought he carried himself like nothing more then a spoiled and entitled little brat.

The past couple of years have seen the departure of some of its elder statesmen, including David Millar, Christian Vande Velde and Dave Zabriskie

Well allow me...

GOODBYE! :wave

"We’ve seen teams where there’s a rider who has some sort of an issue and decides to speak publicly, they ostracise this one person and they do that in the name of saving their image. And at the end of the day, we were never going to do that."
    Except for the fact that, ya' know, some of the guys did exactly that. But anyway...

I lost all faith in that team in the wake of USADA's Reasoned Decision.
    Everything that came out of the mouths of CVV, JV, Millar and the rest was just insulting beyond words. So f'ck them. Seriously. That's when I really starting packing it in for this sport.

[Edit] Just to clarify the above:
    My disgust had nothing to do with the Reasoned Decision itself (the contents weren't that much of a surprise). It was their uninspired and transparently phony PR-speak that followed the release of the report. They really must consider us fools if they expected any of it to come across as even the slightest bit genuine or contrite.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 18:33 by Drummer Boy »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 14:22 »
    well I will not get those minutes back

the most nothing video ever
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    « Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 15:57 »
    well I will not get those minutes back

Says he who embeds it here... ;) It is dull though, for sure. The explosion of video in cycling media is one thing but until they get some quality in place, then it's just going to be more of this sort of foolishness.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 16:01 »
    Ted is funny
    You're stating the obvious there. :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 16:03 »
    The explosion of video in cycling media is one thing
    It's way less work to do a video of an interview and throw that up as a 'unique insight', than to transcribe the interview, edit it and put it into perspective.

I can understand why some go down the easier road - but I certainly don't approve of it.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 21:58 »
    Which is fully consistent with most of the video content I've seen produced by CN.
  • ReplyReply

•