collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6197
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Garmin-Cannondale news
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 23:20 »
The Garmindales will be easy to pick out in the rain:
https://twitter.com/Shop_Argyle/status/567362262197735425
Better than nothing. Let's hope for lots of rainy races ... ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 553

le_moccasin

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 7
    « Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29 »
    Randomness:
    * Formolo's win at the Giro was impressive. His two crashes since have slowed him down a bit but I'm still impressed with his performance.
    * I expect Ryder to finish in the top 10 of the Giro. He looked really good today.
    * Danielson quit the Giro today. Injured his knee early on and its been killing him since.
    * Good to see Talansky come back after ToC and grab the USA TT title.
    * I expect the team to be all-in for Howes tomorrow at the USA Road Race Championship. Let's see if he can better his 3rd place finish from last year.

--------
    Transfer rumors are starting to whirl. At this point, next year's squad is pretty thin. Lots of contracts need to be re-upped.

Riders out of a contract at the end of the year:
    ACEVEDO, Janier
    BAUER, Jack
    BETTIOL, Alberto
    BROWN, Nathan
    DANIELSON, Tom
    FORMOLO, Davide
    HAAS, Nathan
    HESJEDAL, Ryder
    KING, Ben
    KING, Ted (retiring)
    KOREN, Kristijan
    LANGEVELD, Sebastian
    MARANGONI, Alan
    MARTIN, Dan
    MOHORIC, Matej
    NORMAN HANSEN, Lasse
    SLAGTER, Tom-Jelte
    VAN BAARLE, Dylan
    VILLELLA, Davide

Riders under contract for next year:
    CARDOSO, André
    DOMBROWSKI, Joe
    HOWES, Alex
    MOSER, Moreno
    NAVARDAUSKAS, Ramunas
    SKJERPING, Kristoffer
    TALANSKY, Andrew
    ZEPUNTKE, Ruben

With the way the past contracts have been handled the last few years, this volume of work needed is a bit scary. Especially with how poorly the team has performed this year.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 07:12 »
    and while Darkside

There are less and less riders JV can provide a caring environment for , and thus loses a major selling point of the team. And the holes start appearing and then are a lot of them 
  • ReplyReply

• ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 238
    « Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55 »
    They really need to sign a couple of guys who can at least show the jersey in the finishing photo for bunch sprints.

I think there are lots of continental teams with better sprinters so there must be some fast guys who could be brought in pretty cheap.

Losing Von Hoff and some of their other roster choices last year were quite strange.

I think Hesjedal's a lifer there and not ready to retire. Probably Danielson too.

I think Dan Martin's happy there but he'll probably consider some other options.

Acevedo doesn't seem to have worked out for them.

Not sure about their Dutch guys?

Formollo is the big question mark. He's a magnificent talent and also very marketable. I imagine Cannondale are extremely keen to keep in on their bikes. If they manage to keep him then they'll probably keep some of the others they got in the Cannondale deal.
  • ReplyReply

• le_moccasin

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 14:20 »
    I get the sense the team is at a significant crossroads this offseason.

The gents from the Cycling Podcast brought up the lack of sprinter issue in one of their recent podcasts. I think it was Friebe who was saying how the team needs a sprinter to essentially boost morale with a win or two at the beginning of the year. I can't help but to agree with that. Letting Farrar walk at the end of the year was the right decision. He needed a change of scenery. As for Von Hoff, I think he could have notched a few podiums early in the year.

Your Hesjedal and Danielson statement is what kinda scares me about this offseason. Their contracts are probably more costly than the rest of the free agents combined (excluding Langeveld, Slagter and Dan Martin). Ryder at 34 is probably worth resigning for his GT leadership alone. Danielson at 37... I'm not so sure. Especially at his price tag.

Daniel Friebe and I had an exchange on twitter a few weeks ago where he mentioned that Dan Martin is looking around. Its probably standard procedure for him to do so, but its a bit concerning that things aren't locked up already.

The Dutch guys and Bauer are the big, big question marks for me. If they let them all go, the team doesn't have a single rider who is capable of winning a spring cobbled classic.  That combined with the fact that they have no sprinter.... **shudder**
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 16:42 »
    I get the sense the team is at a significant crossroads this offseason.
    *snip*
    Some good points.

The lack of a sprinter is hurting them - it's an area where you can get results relatively easily. If your only card is van Baarle (with Navardauskas having a good sprint among his many other qualities), you're not going to get noticed much.

But the team has been built around GC guys since its inception, hasn't it?

It's a complicated puzzle.

Oh, and welcome to Velorooms! :welcome
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 22:32 »
    Rest day stuff - mechanics & bus driver telling stories: :D
    http://velonews.competitor.com/mechanics-telling-stories
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1906
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #40 on: May 26, 2015, 03:17 »
    There are less and less riders JV can provide a caring environment for , and thus loses a major selling point of the team.

Do you mean the old guard from the Horner generation?

I think the most part,  JV's mantra has run its course and no longer carries much prestige.

How does he leverage the image with sponsors anymore? "Clean team? Aren't they all clean now?"

He has nowhere to go with his tired old tales.

And no one cares about the likes of Tommy and Ryder anymore.

It can't be long before Garmin and JV both step down from the sport. Then they'll just another team like any other. And the previous sales pitch will appear—at best—as quaint, in the rearview mirror.
  • ReplyReply

• le_moccasin

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #41 on: May 31, 2015, 13:18 »
    * Ryder was amazing during the last week. a top 5 finish is a fantastic result after how things started for him and the team.

* Cardoso with a solid overall performance coming in at 21st. Didn't really see much of him during the race coverage.

* Formolo really suffered after his injuries and during the 3rd week. Totally understandable. I will always remember his stage win.

* Most importantaly, imo, all the young guys (Brown, Formolo, Villella) finished the race in good health.

Dauphine is next. Will Martin and Talansky be riding together?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1906
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #42 on: May 31, 2015, 13:59 »
    And no one cares about the likes of Tommy and Ryder anymore.

Ryder was amazing during the last week. a top 5 finish is a fantastic result after how things started for him and the team.

No doubt about it. He put on quite a courageous show, and significantly increased his market value for the rest of the season. Never count him out, is the message he sent most clearly. Well done.

Interesting contrast of emotions from one day to the next.
    May 29
    As I keep saying, I’ve won the Giro, so I’m not excited for fifth or seventh overall.

May 30
    I’m happy with my Giro. I had fun. It’s a brutal race. To have won it a few years ago, taken a top 10 last year despite setbacks and then a top five this year… I’ve had a good time.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #43 on: July 28, 2015, 11:31 »
    So then what you all think?

really seems to me the team has lost it´s way since the Giro win by Ryder - Do Talansky and Martin need to leave to start over

https://twitter.com/LaVelocipede/status/625975510519148544

sure there might be my confirmed bias getting involved but

Sure Ryder was great at the Giro this year but .... ?
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #44 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52 »
    I want Martin to leave. IAM would be good if they did a bit of a revamp, or maybe Trek or Orica.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 12:15 »
    A conspiracy theorist might suggest that Garmin's decline has come about since Hjesjedal's murky past came to light and the arrival of new techniques/drugs that have enabled teams like Astana etc. to produce freakish results like this year's Giro. The merger with Cannondale might have resulted in numerous problems behind the scenes which could affect results. Plus Vaughters seems to be playing a less active role these days.

I should say that I've no evidence of this. Just thinking aloud.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 12:16 »
    A conspiracy theorist might suggest that Garmin's decline has come about since Hjesjedal's murky past came to light and the arrival of new techniques/drugs that have enabled teams like Astana etc. to produce freakish results like this year's Giro. The merger with Cannondale might have resulted in numerous problems behind the scenes which could affect results. Plus Vaughters seems to be playing a less active role these days.

I should say that I've no evidence of this. Just thinking aloud.

pssst this is not the darkside  :)
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18 »
    Whoops!
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26 »
    Not that it's all about winning but ... six wins this year if you also count National titles.

Merger didn't work?
    Wrong racing focus?
    Too many underperforming talents?
    Vaughters' step back?
    Dark Side?

Before 2015, it seemed clear enough already that Garmin was not a team of big winners and Cannondale was zilch without Viviani and Sagan.

What other factors explain the frightening transparency of argyle this season?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #49 on: July 28, 2015, 16:14 »
    Vaughters has openly said that the team underperformed in the spring season. And they have.

Since May, it's become slightly better: Formolo's stage win & Hesjedal's 5th place overall in the Giro, two ITT championships, a decent, but not great 11th place in the Tour for Talansky ... but it's still far from where they could reasonably hope to be.

Mergers are always tricky; and this one was a particularly tricky one, combining two very different teams.
    The Garmin-Cervélo merger wasn't easy either, with more than half a dozen riders going elsewhere after the first year.

I expect a similar situation now, with several riders not getting new contracts for next year - both the #cannondale 'dead weight' and a few 'original' #garmin riders who couldn't convince lately.
    Whether that will include the team's stars, Martin, Talansky, and Hesjedal, I can't say. Martin has, in my opinion, simply had a bad year after the outstanding 2013 & 2014 seasons.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #50 on: July 28, 2015, 17:16 »
    Vaughters has openly said that the team underperformed in the spring season. And they have

he said the same about the first part of the Tour

Two days ago, Cannondale-Garmin manager Jonathan Vaughters was embarrassed with his team of riders at the Tour de France.

They already knew they were underperforming at cycling's pre-eminent race. Missed breakaway opportunities, inattentiveness while racing and failing to follow instructions from directors Robbie Hunter and Charly Wegelius were just a few of the problems. American Andrew Talansky was far back from yellow jersey leader Chris Froome, so far behind that the Boulder-based team abandoned any hope of a top finish in the general classification.

"I was embarrassed and disappointed in their performance last week," Vaughters told The Denver Post, recalling what he told the team two days ago. "Physically, they've been good. But that doesn't mean (expletive) if you have your head in the clouds."

http://www.denverpost.com/cycling/ci_28524957/garmins-andrew-talansky-makes-strong-move-tour-de
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #51 on: July 28, 2015, 17:33 »
    What's happened to Formolo? He hasn't raced since the Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #52 on: July 28, 2015, 17:42 »
    probably just taking a little break. He was training on altitude last week and will return for the USA Pro Challenge

edit: maybe he will do Utah as well then?!
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #53 on: July 28, 2015, 17:44 »
    Is he definitely racing USA?

Post Merge: July 28, 2015, 17:45
    And the Larry H. Miller too?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #55 on: September 09, 2015, 07:46 »
    rouleur.cc did a feature on Davide Formolo

http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/davide-formolo-interview

I haven't had the time to read it yet though, will do so later on
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #56 on: November 22, 2015, 08:57 »
    https://twitter.com/nealrogers/status/667443998198484993

sort of fits here sort of Darkside if we can keep anydarkside chat in the Tommy D thread that would be great
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 11:04 »
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #58 on: January 18, 2016, 09:12 »
    I hadn't read this thread in a while but it's funny that, even in May 2015, there was a lot of concern about the team's performance.

I think the merger was a big failure but at least they got a secure sponsor after Garmin backed down. Some of the Italians have moved on and a few of those may miraculously bounce back on other teams.

The departure of Martin and Hesjedal will force the team to start over in some ways and that's probably a good thing.

I was very surprised by Uran's arrival - that was probably the transfer I least expected in the off-season - and now they will need to find ways to support his ambitions. He's a good fit to a certain extent, an Ardennes performer and a GT runner up, but some guys will have to step up to give him the backing he deserves.

Bike manufacturers are happy just to represent at this level - Trek and (until quite recently) BMC underperformed a lot over the years - so one hopes that Cannondale can be patient until the wins start to roll in from the younger guys.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 150
    « Reply #59 on: January 18, 2016, 15:18 »
    In theory they have a strong team of climbers, but it is perhaps a little top heavy with leaders and young guys who want to be leaders and a little light on reliable climbing domestiques of the Cardoso sort. A lot will depend on how willing guys like Uran, Rolland, Talansky, Dombrowski, Formolo are to go into the trenches for whoever is the leader in any given race. The "old guard" of Garmin climbers had their limits and their inconsistencies, but they were often willing to bury themselves for each other. The "new guard" looks on paper like an improvement, but we will have to see if they work out that way.

If Wippert picks up, say four or five wins in small races this year, that will help keep morale high and make the wins column look healthier.
  • ReplyReply

•