collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3780
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Selection policies and behavioural standards
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:39 »
The selection policies and ethical and behavioural considerations that are taken into account is something I have always found very interesting

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/olympics-2012/revealed-nick-darcys-secret-deal-20120504-1y47r.html

In 2008 Nick D'Arcy punched fellow swimmer Simon Cowley in the face in a pub.  He did considerable damage to Cowley who needed a facial reconstruction and was out of competitive swimming.

D'Arcy was dropped for the 2008 Beijing Games, and the World Champs the next year ... but has since then been allowed to represent Australia in competitive swimming.

He was found guilty in a civil case and fined $370,000 ... but declared himself bankrupt so that he did not have to pay.  I am not sure of his financial situation, so dont know if it is a bit of fancy footwork or he genuinely doesnt have any money ... but whatever the case, he has destroyed another persons career and severely affected his life for ever .... and gets to walk away.  (he was found guilty of criminal assault, but didnt get sent to prison because of the civil damages case where it was assumed the victim would get financial compensation).

In these kinds of circumstances, should a person be allowed to represent their country? 

What kind of "good character" tests should be applied?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:41 by AG »

ram

Can't say much but that D'arcy seems a muppet. It does remind me of the rugby team dilemma that Australia had with Quade Cooper, Beale and O'Connor. All three got selected and how much would the Wallabies have regretted selecting Cooper. ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:43 by ram »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    yep exactly.

I think when it comes to representing your country in elite sport, it should come down to more than just talent.

There is a behavioral good character requirement.  You are representing your country ....

Having Nick D'Arcy representing Australia is an international embarrassment.
  • ReplyReply

• Dr. Horrible the Mad Elephant Man

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 63
    The Chris Jongewaard case might be interesting to consider in this context

AG, I am not sure you got your Cowley's and D'Arcys in the correct spot in your opening post.
  • ReplyReply
  • BMC and Cadel Evans fan
    I have chosen not to be able to receive private messages except from administrators.

AG

• Monument Winner
    AG, I am not sure you got your Cowley's and D'Arcys in the correct spot in your opening post.

thanks - fixed
  • ReplyReply

• ram

And now that makes my post seem like a muppet.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    but I knew who you meant ram.

and yes, he is a bit of a muppet   :)
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    Does Cowley still get the compensation? Who pays that now that Darcy is declared bankrupt?

Society in general doesn't bat an eyelid when a celebrity or sportsman does anything wrong. Example was posted by krebs in the chaos thread, a funny with an element of truth. Jane/John Doe gets caught with a drug, months/years in prison. A Celebrity? They go to 'rehab'.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 979
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012

Recent Posts