collapse

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1784
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
Re: Hidden Motors
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2015, 21:55 »
First off not sure where to put it, here or in the CF thread, or a new thread (As if VR needed another CF/Sky thread), I chose here as some of my points apply to the possibility of hidden engines, I will however following the stolen or leaked CF data, which I first of has not seen, but have seen summaries of, will use this, and the conclusions people draw as a case.

First off I think it is fair to first off establish that the people that chase CF in whatever imaginable way are propagandist. I'm not saying that they are wrong, or that what they present is untrue - Properganda is often described as lies, it is not, it is truth, but a very limited aspect of the truth. What I am saying and what ultimately makes their work propaganda is the way they construct their case. They work by the assumption CF is doping. After this they look to find anything that supports their claim, the central point propaganda asking what is my conclusion and what supports this conclusion? which stands in sharp contradiction to the scientific process of examining and then concluding.

A way that this propaganda is seen is the evidence presented. High wattage (1000w) is presented as an evidence of doping, and later an acceleration with little to no wattage increase is also mentioned, along with low heart rate. The later would imply mechanical assistance (And that this would not be recorded on the SRM) and that CF was actually a donkey. So this then means that we assuming the latter knows that CF's mechanical assistance does not register on the SRM, in which case the former high wattage of 1000 w is strange, since this would then be done by CF himself, 1000w doesn't sound like donkey to me. Ultimately these numbers are widely inconsistent and while one suggest doping one way another suggest a whole other way of doping.

Back to mechanical doping, and here is an often times overlooked point that fits at Sky with what a bike riding with an engine would look like. The weight loss and power gain would make sense in terms of what would realistically happen if riders starting having engines to assist them. Why? The all important power per weight ratio is the key to understanding this. As most knows there is a most efficient spot for power per weight on the road, and this changes when the roads gradient rise (Or more correctly speed changes, as it has to do with the air friction). This most efficient spot is what riders chase, the perfect amount of muscle mass. Now where does this lead? Well what would be the result of giving every rider a watt bonus? Well since the watt bonus would be equal for all riders and that the formula for kinetic energy is KE=½mv^2 (Wherein that it can be seen that each added 1m/s of velocity is more expensive than the last) It can be concluded that the ideal weight of riders would drop. This fits with improved ITT performance and weight loss

Here comes my main point with the above, whereas some might stop here and conclude Sky used an engine I prefer to dig a bit deeper, first dig CF's first pro contract. Normally CF and the 2011 Vuelta is used as an example against him, but here is a question, lets say Sky has an engine they want their riders to use, why of all people would they strap it on CF doing the Vuelta. A couple of points to why this makes no sense, simple economics if you knew CF would accept the engine, why would you not renew him before giving him the engine, they could have said well we have an engine for you and a three year contract, would he not have signed then? Saving them money? The only way that it would be possible to have this happen is Sky and BW had an engine CF discovers and blackmails DB? Is this likely to be true, I would say not really.

Either way back to the evidence presented, there seems to be three ways to have the engine pull.

1 On the crank not turning the levers (Measured on SRM or not)
2 On the rear wheel (Not measured on SRM)
3 On the crank turning the levers (Measured on SRM)

Option 1 is just plain stupid, while it would probably be possible to make such a mechanism, surely people would ask question with the front sprockets spinning at different cadence than the levers, this would almost be sure to be caught on camera.

Option 2 is not as stupid as option two however it is harder to engineer, and the possibility of free running makes it possible to do with out easily being detected. But this would require either fitting the engine in the rear hub (Don't see it) or alternatively, adding metal to the hubs and use induction, a possibility I guess. About adding power this way, would it not simply result in the gears free spinning in a similar fashion to pushing a too low gear for a given speed.

Option 3 Well it seems the most doable option let it aid, how does it fit with Sky? Poorly, if doing this you would want to run high gears low cadence. Else the engine would smash the riders legs like a spinning bike out of control. Also it has been proven that low cadence is more efficient mechanically, the reason riders push high is that is feel better.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13158
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #151 on: July 24, 2015, 08:42 »
    well, all of us relying on Eurosport know, LeMond believes various things. Some of those are new though, and related to hidden motors

“I believe it’s been used in racing, I believe it’s been used sometimes in the Grand Tours,”

“It’s simple to check for, much easier than doping,”

“I know that motors exist, I’ve ridden a bike with one. … If people think they don’t exist, they’re fooling themselves, so I think it’s a justified suspicion,”

“It seems too incredible that someone would do it, but I know it’s real.”

www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/07/23/forget-doping-greg-lemond-thinks-tour-de-france-riders-could-be-cheating-with-tiny-motors/?tid=sm_tw
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #152 on: July 24, 2015, 09:14 »
    well, all of us relying on Eurosport know, LeMond believes various things. Some of those are new though, and related to hidden motors

“I believe it’s been used in racing, I believe it’s been used sometimes in the Grand Tours,”

“It’s simple to check for, much easier than doping,”

“I know that motors exist, I’ve ridden a bike with one. … If people think they don’t exist, they’re fooling themselves, so I think it’s a justified suspicion,”

“It seems too incredible that someone would do it, but I know it’s real.”

www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/07/23/forget-doping-greg-lemond-thinks-tour-de-france-riders-could-be-cheating-with-tiny-motors/?tid=sm_tw

He said that a month or two ago so the WP are a bit behind the times. Froome also said it yesterday.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-check-froomes-bike-and-five-others-for-hidden-motors-at-tour-de-france
  • ReplyReply

• QuintanaWiggo

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 28
    « Reply #153 on: July 24, 2015, 09:46 »
    The Old Motor in the downtube trick: UCI Suspicious  :)   :) 

http://d2ride.co.uk/News-and-Blog.php
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11186
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #156 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06 »
    does he really say "hide it!" as it says in the explanatory notes?
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #157 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02 »
    does he really say "hide it!" as it says in the explanatory notes?

No comprendo. But what we can observe with our eyes is that the seatpost-saddle is out and separated from a (very small) bike that appears otherwise undamaged. Which is one of the more unusual dislocations of bike parts but it could simply have failed, I suppose. It's common with carbon posts. :s

Otherwise it is not untypical to see cars swapping bikes out, removing unusable ones to the rearmost car. I don't think there's anything particularly odd about that.

I think this is trolling, but then it's La Gazzetta, isn't it? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Race Radio

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 312
    « Reply #158 on: September 07, 2015, 14:38 »
    No comprendo. But what we can observe with our eyes is that the seatpost-saddle is out and separated from a (very small) bike that appears otherwise undamaged. Which is one of the more unusual dislocations of bike parts but it could simply have failed, I suppose. It's common with carbon posts. :s

Otherwise it is not untypical to see cars swapping bikes out, removing unusable ones to the rearmost car. I don't think there's anything particularly odd about that.

I think this is trolling, but then it's La Gazzetta, isn't it? ;)

It does look like the bike broke, I can understand why they want to hid it. Think of how long people talked about Hincapie's fork breaking at Paris Roubaix.

He is saying Hide/stash it where nobody can see it
  • ReplyReply
  • Pro Cycling is like sausage, I love it but I don't want to know how it is made.

search

• World Champion
    « Reply #160 on: January 30, 2016, 17:42 »
    here we go...

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) confirms that pursuant to the UCI's Regulations on technological fraud a bike has been detained for further investigation following checks at the Women's Under 23 race of the 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships. This does not concern any of the riders on the podium. Further details will be shared in due course.

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-174751/

https://twitter.com/CXHairs/status/693471655243464704
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #162 on: January 30, 2016, 18:15 »
    Saw this[1] in the news, and had to bop over here first to see if anybody knew anything!

MFG, if she gets nailed on this one, just total shock.
     1. Femke van den Driessche
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 23:01 by hiero »
    . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 959
    « Reply #163 on: January 31, 2016, 00:48 »
    Yup, didn't think I was gonna be the first one here, nor the third.

So UCI-coördinator Peter Van den Abeele actually confirmed to Sporza we have hit a new(ly discovered) low....

A friggin' motor. In a bike. For real.

Wtf.

You know, the temptation and culture of dope I can actually understand (to some degree). This just fries my brains.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #164 on: January 31, 2016, 00:55 »
    reading something about cables coming out of the tube once they dismounted the saddle sounds just absurd though, in lights of the newly discovered detection techniques to check the bikes mentioned in the cyclingtips article...

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/motors-scandal-reports-state-that-belgian-under-23-rider-becomes-the-first-to-be-caught-for-mechanical-doping/
    http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/more-details-emerge-about-motorized-doping-at-cyclo-cross-worlds/
  • ReplyReply

• Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 959
    « Reply #165 on: January 31, 2016, 01:05 »
    Well, if you were ever gonna pick a cycling discipline to be a dirty cheat in, I guess cyclo-cross is a natural pick.

I do have an issue with the 6 months ban for mechanical fraud though. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't qualify for the same treatment as banned substances, for something as blatent as this.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7563
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #166 on: January 31, 2016, 01:39 »
    Well, if you were ever gonna pick a cycling discipline to be a dirty cheat in, I guess cyclo-cross is a natural pick.

I do have an issue with the 6 months ban for mechanical fraud though. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't qualify for the same treatment as banned substances, for something as blatent as this.
    6 months is the minimum ban for "technical manipulation". As far as I remember there is no maximum stipulated in the rules - in a case as blatant as an actual motor in the bike being proven, a life ban may well be handed down.

On the case itself:
    :fp
    Why?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 305
    « Reply #167 on: January 31, 2016, 08:11 »
    6 months is the minimum ban for "technical manipulation". As far as I remember there is no maximum stipulated in the rules - in a case as blatant as an actual motor in the bike being proven, a life ban may well be handed down.

On the case itself:
    Why?

Because they are idiots who think it'll never be them!! If it's proven ban her for life, make the example quickly and we'll hear no more about it
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3257
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #168 on: January 31, 2016, 09:33 »
    Because they are idiots who think it'll never be them!! If it's proven ban her for life, make the example quickly and we'll hear no more about it

The bans need to be for everyone involved. No way[1] a 19-year old girl goes and does this off her own bat. And I would find it very unlikely that her team/federation would be able to argue as such.
     1. probably...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Mellow Velo

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3026
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #169 on: January 31, 2016, 11:07 »
     Now, I know some of us are a little reluctant to condemn solely on the basis of video footage, but the lady in question doing her now well documented thing up the Koppenberg:-
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2975
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #170 on: January 31, 2016, 12:12 »
    The bans need to be for everyone involved. No way[1] a 19-year old girl goes and does this off her own bat. And I would find it very unlikely that her team/federation would be able to argue as such.
     1. probably...

The rules include a minimum 6 month suspension (maximum unspecified) as well.  Typical of UCI rules, that is not very clear: nothing in the team name but individuals can continue, or suspension of all members of the team from all cycling related activity, or suspension of team management only? And would that apply to her trade team or the Belgian national team she was riding for?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 13:00 by Armchair Cyclist »

Joelsim

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1663
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015
    « Reply #171 on: January 31, 2016, 12:37 »
    It's all fine, it wasn't her bike, it was her friend's.

Panic over.
  • ReplyReply

• barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 371
    « Reply #172 on: January 31, 2016, 12:55 »
    It's all fine, it wasn't her bike, it was her friend's.

Panic over.

Nah, it was one of the team staff.

She can't even keep the story straight in a single interview, then it was het friends, then it was someone from the staff, than the bike was bought and stored, then the bike used to be hers but was her friends, every minute it seems a different story
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2975
    • Awards: 2019 Spring Classics Prediction Champ2018 Tour de France CQ game winner
    « Reply #173 on: January 31, 2016, 13:09 »
    It was, apparently, in the pit lane and unused.  But if my impression that each rider is allowed two bikes, and in those conditions no riders was going to want to race without a bike change, so it would seem very difficult to claim that it was not the intention to use it.
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #174 on: January 31, 2016, 13:15 »
    Now, I know some of us are a little reluctant to condemn solely on the basis of video footage, but the lady in question doing her now well documented thing up the Koppenberg:-

hmmmm.... that's not suspicious at all!

Now if she lost a stone or two and poked her elbows out we could envisage the Ventoux in 2013....  :o :o :o :o just kidding

Whatever they are using to get the drive must be some superb tech to slide inside a frame and generate enough power to offset the extra weight

• ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    « Reply #175 on: January 31, 2016, 13:22 »
    Whatever they are using to get the drive must be some superb tech to slide inside a frame and generate enough power to offset the extra weight

there are a bunch of articles about it in this thread, it's no problem at all nowadays, and there are all kind of variants of it available in every price range
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 269
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #176 on: January 31, 2016, 13:23 »
    It was, apparently, in the pit lane and unused.  But if my impression that each rider is allowed two bikes, and in those conditions no riders was going to want to race without a bike change, so it would seem very difficult to claim that it was not the intention to use it.

Yes no better place to hide something like this than cyclo cross where bikes can be changed on a lap by lap basis and are covered in mud so distinguishing features are obscured.

Surely one telling factor would be whether it was set up according to her bike fit position such as seat height saddle-steerer distance and pedals etc unless the mystery rider was exactly the same size as her?
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

barrus

• National Champion
    • Liked: 371
    « Reply #177 on: January 31, 2016, 13:33 »
    Yes no better place to hide something like this than cyclo cross where bikes can be changed on a lap by lap basis and are covered in mud so distinguishing features are obscured.

Surely one telling factor would be whether it was set up according to her bike fit position such as seat height saddle-steerer distance and pedals etc unless the mystery rider was exactly the same size as her?

Yes he was the exact same size as her, so the bike was completely identical to her. However we have need heard her tell his name, nor him coming out and saying something, coming with them on the interview and she isn't mad at him, so this all checks out and is totally real
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #178 on: January 31, 2016, 13:43 »
    there are a bunch of articles about it in this thread, it's no problem at all nowadays, and there are all kind of variants of it available in every price range

Have to admit I've not read everything in this thread and do need a referesh of it, I'll have a look
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 269
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #179 on: January 31, 2016, 13:56 »
    This could be the cycling equivalent of finding the Loch Ness Monster...
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts