collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 7531
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Hidden Motors
« Reply #450 on: July 24, 2018, 07:16 »
i just came across this new ad. Not sure what to make of it.
To me, the underlying message is that Specialized's e-bikes are so strong that even Grandma Joan can beat the triple world champion in a race.
It's an ad for e-bikes, and in that regard I think it works well.

The points you make are good ones.
Remember though that the motor that Grandma Joan uses weighs about half a ton (only slightly exaggerated), and any bike with such a motor can be readily identified by the size of the downtube or seattube.
This is different from the miniaturised motors that are allegedly used in pro cycling; and Grandma Joan & her peers make no secret of their using motors.

I think it's great that e-bikes enable those with limited power and/or endurance to enjoy riding a bike (again). I've seen a number of happy seniors trundling along on their new vehicle, and it's far better than using a car to get around.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1630
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    « Reply #451 on: July 27, 2018, 23:53 »
    Yeah. The E-bike trend is pretty cool, afaic. I thought the commercial was pretty cool too. Humorous.
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3558
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 3316
    « Reply #453 on: July 14, 2019, 17:40 »
    but... police bust in an amateur race? They have their priorities, obviously.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7531
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #454 on: July 14, 2019, 23:26 »
    but... police bust in an amateur race? They have their priorities, obviously.
    The cheating by those amateurs must have been blatant.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3558
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #455 on: August 28, 2019, 12:14 »
    The latest Tyler Hamilton interview from CylingTips is making the rounds.

Where are they now: A Tyler Hamilton Interview

Every Tyler interview makes me squirm a bit. He still seems very uncomfortable in his own skin, and it makes for uncomfortable listening. It's been like that ever since his initial 60 Minutes interview when he first came clean years ago, and hasn't really changed to this day. But he knows more than most.

At the end of the audio portion, @00:36:35, the subject of motors comes up.

Based on his "inside sources," Tyler had this to say:

It was a thing, and riders were using it. There's also magnetic wheels that they were using that could be engaged by the director's car from behind.

Supposedly, from my sources, there were people using it at the highest level.
     :S

Science fiction? Nope, just a matter-of-fact retelling of second-hand info from someone who was at the highest level themselves.

I really have to wonder if we'll ever know the who, what, where and when of motor doping.

How quaint those early debates were, when one side was arguing that the technology didn't exist, etc.

Meanwhile, guys who were actually there are saying, Yup, it was a thing.

FFS
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13086
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #456 on: August 28, 2019, 13:16 »
    I really have to wonder if we'll ever know the who, what, where and when of motor doping.

probably not. But most of the allegations were always centered around CSC/Saxobank, and many of the results back then (of riders never to reach that "peak" again) would fit with whatever way of enormous advantage over the competition.

Hamilton was with CSC, and if he says there was motor doping, then I have no reason not to believe it.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13086
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #457 on: September 02, 2019, 17:24 »

:o

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.