collapse

Kiwirider

Best aerodynamic aid for cyclists - a Bic disposable
« on: September 08, 2014, 22:18 »
I read this today and just had to come out of retirement to post ... as I think that it's brilliant!!

If it's been posted elsewhere, my apologies - and can one of the mods redirect this to that other thread.

Anyhow, it turns out that testing - in Specialized's wind tunnel no less - shows that shaving your legs is worth more of a power advantage than any of the over-priced and over-hyped currently available go-faster bits that are on the market!! It totally explains why Bic sponsored cycling for all of those years ...  ;)

Love it!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/the-curious-case-of-the-cyclists-unshaved-legs/article20370814/

I'm now waiting for the follow up study that finds that electronic shifting makes absolutely no difference to shifting quality relative to those cyclists who have enough basic mechancial knowledge to be able to fit a gear cable correctly ...   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6786
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I can totally believe it. But following Krebs' advice, I use a ladyshape razor and that represents even better smoothness.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3986
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    When I saw this thread title, the only thing that came to mind was one of these:

So of course I was rather bewildered.  :slow  :D

This is a subject for debate that has often turned toxic in the past, so it is with great pleasure to discover this little gem:
    It turned out that the 1987 test involved a fake lower leg in a miniature wind tunnel with or without hair glued onto it – hardly a definitive test,
    I'll say!  :lol

But can someone please explain this to me?
    When researchers are rewarded for originality and previous work is seldom replicated to test veracity – and doing so is often formally verboten – how do we know which study results we can trust?

The problem in the research community is that scientists have little incentive to duplicate earlier work just to check if it’s correct. Many journals have explicit policies forbidding the publication of work that attempts to replicate previous experiments.

What the hell? That makes zero sense to me.  :S

As far as the studies go, personally, I don't buy into it for one second. :P
    I think there are just way too many variable that are not being taken into account that would apply in the real world. And since there are significant differences from one person to the next regarding density and coarseness of hair, I just don't see how any particular study on any individual would be very relevant outside of the lab.

But it's a topic I do enjoy!  :cool

And come to think of it, one of those Bic disposal lighters might just be another way to remove hair!  :o
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 7793
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    And come to think of it, one of those Bic disposal lighters might just be another way to remove hair!  :o
    Ouch!
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014

Was the first thing I thought of when I saw that lighter

I wonder what this will do to beards and arm hair in the peloton, this needs to be tested.

Why would Specialized allow this to get out? not really great advertisement for their products, "Well you could spend several thousands on aero stuff, or you could just buy a razor and get twice the result"

Say goodbye to Wiggins beard, marginal gains. also someone should tell Quaade.
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1785
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Another interesting thing then is, can it be improved even more, what if a rider applies some sort of lubricant to his legs, will it make him faster?
  • ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 904
    Specialized idiots just digging themselves more and more...what to say else. Bunch of wind tunel hipster geeks without any mileage on bike...Hipsters :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

Recent Topics