collapse

Havetts

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1056
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013
Astana Doping thread
« on: September 10, 2014, 18:26 »

The Iglinskiy Family: EPO Positives

Valentin Iglinskiy (ASTANA) has tested positive for EPO in the ENECO Tour.

UCI has put him on the list of people that provisionally suspended:

Click for Info
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 22:55 by froome19, Reason: frontpage »

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Re: Valentin Iglinskiy - EPO Positive
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 18:28 »
    He's already fessed up, and Astana have already sacked him.

http://proteam-astana.com/2014/09/10/valentin-iglinskiy-official-statement/

This bit I particularly like...

" With the immediate expulsion of Valentin Iglinskiy, the management and staff at Astana Pro Team confirm our commitment to clean cycling without doping " :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 18:29 »
    My thoughts on this is that its once again one of the lesser riders testing positive for something that "simple" as EPO. And it makes me wonder:

a) Are the guys that are much better than him that much more talented? We're already talking about athletes that are three or more standarddeviations to the right of the mean on the bell curve and then they have to be so much more talented that they can beat dopers while they are clean. Makes you wonder whether EPO is that effective at all, but it is known that it is very effective. So it makes me wonder what the big guys are doing.

b) Why is it always the small fish that get fried?

c) Why the f would you still bother with EPO. 
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8421
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 18:34 »
    b) Why is it always the small fish that get fried?

c) Why the f would you still bother with EPO. 

same story as with that Ag2R rider last year who's name I forgot

Valentin got a deal with Astana as a reward for Maxim winning the Tour of Almaty last year. One year deal I guess. No results at all = needs to get some as fast as possible.

I might be naive there, but to me it sounds logical
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10232
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 18:37 »

Valentin got a deal with Astana as a reward for Maxim winning the Tour of Almaty last year. One year deal I guess. No results at all = needs to get some as fast as possible.

makes sense

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1379
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 18:54 »
    LOL.
    EPO, makes you go slow...........nowadays.

So, lucky that their best are flying.
    (yer, right) :-x
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 18:59 »

Indeed.
    And he gets caught pretty quickly at that.
    He performed horribly at Eneco.

UCI release statement, seem to have reversed their stated aim to not do so anymore.
    http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-valentin-iglinskiy/
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 19:20 »
    Didnt even finish better than like 90th in any of the stages in Eneco Tour.. Holy crap.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 19:21 »
    EPO makes a return, 5 positives in 3 weeks :win  :hb

it does make you ask questions re the " clean " riders destroying riders like Valentin
  • ReplyReply

• lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 20:59 »
    i've always assumed valentin only had a job so maxim was happy.
    panicking to dope before getting sacked makes sense

will be interesting to know if it was targeted testing with BIO passport irregularities
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 07:51 »
    it does make you ask questions re the " clean " riders destroying riders like Valentin

Maybe Valentin was just super unlucky and was caught fast, or he was a really poor doper doing it all wrong, not using it as an EPO-cure but just injecting sporadically as riders did back when it first came out. Or option three Valentin is just not a very good cyclist. I don't think it is unrealistic that they are just that much better (than one or two odd riders)
  • ReplyReply

• LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 381
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04 »
    "We at Astana are committed to cycling without doping, riding clean, not being dopers and no one dopes."
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 08:12 »
    "We at Astana are committed to cycling without doping, riding clean, not being dopers and no one dopes."

I can only imagine Vino's sh*t eating grin when he proofread that sentence. :lol
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:29 »
    Given that the positive occurred on the first day of the Eneco Tour, it seems likely to me that Iglinskiy was popped pre-race in morning testing, probably early at his hotel before he had flushed it out of his system.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 09:19 »
    Given that the positive occurred on the first day of the Eneco Tour, it seems likely to me that Iglinskiy was popped pre-race in morning testing, probably early at his hotel before he had flushed it out of his system an idiot.

Fixed it for you...
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 16:12 »
    4 years  :o

http://kapital.kz/sport/33221/valentin-iglinskij-diskvalificirovan-na-chetyre-goda.html

"After reviewing all the attached documents and adhering to the principle of "zero tolerance" in relation to the use of doping, the Kazakhstan Cycling Federation decided on a four-year disqualification Valentine Iglinskiy."
    :P
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 16:24 by search »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:53 »
    4 years  :o

http://kapital.kz/sport/33221/valentin-iglinskij-diskvalificirovan-na-chetyre-goda.html
    :P

Hmm, the only way they can apply a four-year suspension is if this is a second offence.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3155
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59 »
    and that was incredibly quick ....  :o
  • ReplyReply

• neppe

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 51
    « Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45 »
    They must have found his just rolling over and admitting to be aggrevating circumstances.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16 »
    They must have found his just rolling over and admitting to be aggrevating circumstances.

yep and thought nothing of Vino pointing a gun at his head  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 00:41 »
    Hmm, the only way they can apply a four-year suspension is if this is a second offence.
    But what about this?

UCI to introduce four-year doping bans from 2009
    Riders will face four-year doping bans from 2009 for "willful cheating," International Cycling Union (UCI) President Pat McQuaid was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/10/15/us-cycling-doping-mcquaid-idUSTRE49E2Z620081015

We also have this to look forward to.  :)

The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) has approved stricter punishments for athletes found guilty of doping, doubling bans to four years.
    A first major offence currently carries a two-year ban, with athletes banned for life if they test positive again.
    The new code, which comes into effect from 1 January 2015, means offenders will miss at least one Olympic Games.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/24955873
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Re: The Iglinskiy Family- EPO Positives
    « Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 19:51 »
    clean for the tour, doped for the 4 weeks of vacation afterwards  :angel

means Astana will go on winter holiday early this year. No Lombardia, no Almaty. Don't know about Beijing?!
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 19:54 »
    means Astana will go on winter holiday early this year. No Lombardia, no Almaty. Don't know about Beijing?!

no Beijing as well

In the last 12 months (the date controls authentic) Two positive controls and / or anti-doping blood tests abnormal (excluding penalties for no-show and / or information not AMA). AUTO SUSPENSION-Team 8 days from the knowledge of the second control. Self suspension begins on the first day of the race calendar next World Tour, with the exception of three Grand Tours.
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 19:58 »
    So, will Maxim admit to doing it all by himself as well and the team not knowing of it, or will he dare to deny it in front of Vino? Bad PR for #astana, clearly they need to sign more clean riders like Luis Leon Sanchez, etc.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 20:01 »
    inner ring points out that the self exclusion only comes into effect after a positive b-sample. Not sure if that's true though as the MPCC rules only say "Two positive controls".

And that test happened two months ago, the b-sample might have been tested already?!

edit: the French rules say "Après contre- expertise confirmée", so it looks like the b-sample has to confirm the result first, although this is not mentioned in the English files
  • ReplyReply

• al_pacino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 86
    « Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 20:23 »
    i have read it but it doesn't seem 100% to me but do you make it on to that UCI list without a b sample failure:
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 20:27 »
    i have read it but it doesn't seem 100% to me but do you make it on to that UCI list without a b sample failure:

it is the "provisionally suspended" list, so the A-Sample is enough to make it on there I guess

edit: yes, it is, the result from Rabottini's b-sample has not yet been announced as well
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 20:28 »
    Good stuff, EPO never left, the new more sensitive tests catching a few fish
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 20:30 »
    yeah, I was thinking the same, the micro-dosing is probably not enough anymore to prevent a positive test
  • ReplyReply

•  

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.