collapse

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
  • Liked: 467
  • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
no, what you mean was in 2011. in 2012 he won on pure strenght

I think we're all confused, despite our memories to the contrary, Contador never rode the 2011 Giro, so could't have gifted any stages.
:D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8430
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    more news from *kz

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-victor-okishev/

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that it has notified UCI Continental Team Astana Kazakh rider Victor Okishev of an Adverse Analytical Finding of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids in a sample collected at the Asian Cycling Championships on 29 May 2014.

The rider has the right to request and attend the analysis of the B sample.

In accordance with UCI Anti-doping Rules, the rider has been provisionally suspended until the adjudication of the affair.

At this stage of the procedure, the UCI will not comment any further.
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

lancasterke

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 467
    • Awards: Thread of the year 2015
    the dream scenario in pro cycling right now is that the only reprobates in the peloton are Astana and they are the only people with a doping problem or team sanctioned stance.

there's a very real possibility that Astana are just the most amateurish/half arsed of the group
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    the day the sample was collected was when Okishev won the U23 TT by the way

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10236
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    FWIW

I expect Astana to keep their licence or get it renewed whatever way you look at it, it might go to CAS but as Kasusha showed they will win.

I also expect Cookson to show these as an example of the independent nature of the licence commission
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    FWIW

I expect Astana to keep their licence or get it renewed whatever way you look at it, it might go to CAS but as Kasusha showed they will win.

I also expect Cookson to show these as an example of the independent nature of the licence commission

Astana will definitely get its licence. There will be a good intentions PR bomb and it will be business as usual and don't do it again. And in media terms at least, Cookson will stand beside Astana on their good intentions, showing the independent nature of the licence commission but the wholly partial nature of the UCI.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3156
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    yeah.  After the debacle over Katusha I cant see the UCI doing that again.

And certainly not when there arent enough teams applying for WT
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/20/vincenzo-nibali-astana-cycling-tour-de-france?CMP=twt_gu

Nibali should be credited for allowing over half of our two hours together to concentrate on doping. He shakes his head and grimaces when asked to describe his feelings after hearing last month that one of his nine team-mates at the Tour, Maxim Iglinskiy, had tested positive for EPO in early August.

“Apart from the obvious reaction – anger – my main feeling was that this was unbelievably stupid. It did not make any sense. He had just renewed his contract. He did not have a massive goal to chase. Our sponsors in Kazakhstan weren’t happy at all. We were in Kazakhstan the week after [at the Tour of Almaty] and there was such a feeling of betrayal because he is a Kazak rider.”

At the time Nibali had said: “The mother of the imbecile is always pregnant.” He smiles sadly. “We say this in Italy but it sums up my feelings perfectly. The great things we’re trying to achieve can be jeopardised by a single rider. That’s why it’s so upsetting. One mistake can ruin so much. But I believe cycling is the cleanest sport because of all the doping controls.”

Iglinskiy’s brother, Valentin, had already been suspended in September after failing a test for EPO. “Same family,” Nibali shrugs. The problem for Nibali is that Maxim Iglinskiy, if not his brother, was part of his Tour team. “Yes,” Nibali concedes. “But he was not part of my training team. I have a training team of seven and he was never part of it. The two other members of the team are chosen at the last minute. They are like a filler.”

Did he speak to Iglinskiy after the positive result? “No,” Nibali exclaims. “He disappeared.”

Nibali would love to win some of the Classics and it must infuriate him that, in 2012, he finished second to Iglinskiy in Liège–Bastogne–Liège? “Yes, yes,” Nibali says, raising his hands helplessly. “It’s normal to feel that. But the past is the past.”

Last month, a third Astana rider, Ilya Davidenok, tested positive for anabolic steroids. “This guy is not from our team,” Nibali insists. “Astana has a satellite team of youngsters. It’s a completely different team. I dug up a little info on [Davidenok] because I didn’t even know who he was. I discovered he was racing with the Kazakh national team. So only the brothers were really associated with Astana and the Kazakhstan federation has been very tough on them. It’s right that they should.”

Does Nibali feel bitter that he has been tainted by association? “No. I’m just surprised. Today we have a biological passport, regular doping control, race controls. If you are doping, you will be caught. Even if the technique of doping can be advanced you will still be caught in another four years. It makes me laugh. Risking and cheating today is for stupid people.”

Did he have any doubts signing for Vinokourov? “No. I didn’t actually sign with Vino [the general manager]. I signed with the team owner and with Giuseppe Martinelli [Astana’s team-manager] who I know well. The key thing is that they agreed I would take my whole group. This gave me the opportunity to lead my own team.”

Nibali smiles when asked if there is anything he could do differently. “If I think too much about the doubters it would not be good.”

He is still tied to his deeply flawed hero for Pantani was mentored and managed by Martinelli at Carrera and Mercatone Uno. During this year’s Tour de France Martinelli defended his reputation, “I’ll never deny my past with Marco,” Martinelli said, “because I’ve pretty much nothing to worry about.”

Pantani and Nibali are also linked by Emilio Magni who worked as a doctor at Mercatone Uno. Is Nibali still working with Magni? “Yes. He comes from [Nibali’s former team] Liquigas and I’ve been working with him only as my nutritionist. Magni just advises me what I need to eat – and when. He’s the key guy when it comes to weight and getting it down.”

Magni and Nibali were both at Fasso Bortolo, before joining Liquigas – whom the rider represented until joining Astana in 2012. A judicial inquiry into doping at Fasso Bortolo was held in 2001 but Nibali stresses that Magni’s good reputation is completely intact. “In 2006 I started with Magni and I took him to Liquigas and I have been with him since. That’s all.”

In 2011, Liquigas denied claims by one of their former riders, Leonardo Bertagnolli, that he was given permission by team management to work with Dr Michele Ferrari – one of cycling’s most notorious figures. There have also been recent internet rumours that Ferrari might be in contact with people on the fringes of Nibali’s team. It’s an allegation Nibali has quashed in the past.

Nibali shakes his head when I ask him if he has ever met Ferrari himself. “No,” he says emphatically. How does he respond to the suggestion that members of his group might have met Ferrari recently? “Maybe in the past they did – but, for sure, not now. I don’t know anything about them seeing him.”
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1260
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Anabolic steroids again. Just like the others at Astana CT. Seems reasonable to assume that, given the date proximity, the same product is at work. All they have to do is find that product, identify it openly in PR, sack a doctor if it was prescribed and all this goes away.
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 847
    Burn. Down. Khazak. Cycling. Dissolve Astana, shoot Vino in to the sun, SALT THE flipping EARTH. I don't want to see sky blue and sun yellow in the pro peloton again for the rest of this decade.

Vincenzo Nibali has no credibility and deserves no respect as long as he stays with that broken, filthy organisation. Same goes for Westra, Taaramae, Boom, Aru, Bozic, Fuglsang, the lot. If you stay in that team you are no friend of clean cycling.
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1260
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Ha ha ha
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    lol, that really is the worst step he could do to show that he is serious about being anti-doping

with a development team, they have the chance to build up young talents, and to monitor them themselves, taking them on the right path to compete cleanly. So far they have failed to do so (or even acted contrary to those ideals), but to turn them adrift surely is not the solution for this problem. It basically shows that he doesn't give a flip what will happen with the young Kazakh cyclists.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    lol, that really is the worst step he could do to show that he is serious about being anti-doping

with a development team, they have the chance to build up young talents, and to monitor them themselves, taking them on the right path to compete cleanly. So far they have failed to do so (or even acted contrary to those ideals), but to turn them adrift surely is not the solution for this problem. It basically shows that he doesn't give a flip what will happen with the young Kazakh cyclists.
    Yep scapegoat the kids to safe face for the WT

anyone know which Dr was with the team? Be an interesting exercise to see where they end up
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Yep scapegoat the kids to safe face for the WT

anyone know which Dr was with the team? Be an interesting exercise to see where they end up

The CT doesn't have one listed, which I would think is normal at this level.

With the WT team, it's a) Ortolano who spent a brief period in Dopeology until I removed her due to a lack of substantive evidence connecting her to Puerto. She was at Liberty Seguros and latterly at Euskaltel and b) De Maeseneer who was with Riis from CSC to Saxo-Tinkoff and consulted for the Belgian National teams but otherwise has no "form" beyond those associations.

Andreazzoli disappeared quietly from Astana this year. I had to remove him too when he was officially absolved from involvement in Mantova.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    With the WT team, it's a) Ortolano who spent a brief period in Dopeology until I removed her due to a lack of substantive evidence.

yeah, they must have seen that, and therefor for 2015 they have signed someone who is more bulletproof in that regard: Emilio Magni
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    All via ammattipyoraily

Viino suspended Astana CT. President of Kazakstan cycling Kelimbetov resigned, replaced by Vino's close friend Mammattipyorailyangeldiev.

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    I asked if anyone knew the Dr on twitter, this name came up

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/537922867997208577
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    it appears MPCC had it all along  :D

https://twitter.com/velocast/status/537925488808042496

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1360.0

Scroll down...

... and then take a breath and remember it's "just" anabolic steroids.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3182
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Incidentally, I Googled Dr. Uliari - Dim's Dodgy Staff thread was the third hit  :cool #proud

EDIT - Spelling. I copied and pasted, so I Googled the right guy, honest :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Monument Winner
      • Dopeology.org
    Well, no need to put two and two together and make five. Yet.  :P

There are plenty of dodgy doctors making their living in our sport and Uliari is just one of them.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Another thing, the silence from MPCC of which Astana conti was/is a member is a worry

Well, no need to put two and two together and make five. Yet.  :P

There are plenty of dodgy doctors making their living in our sport and Uliari is just one of them.

Rubbish, burn that down,  :lol  ]
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    http://rustywoods.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/2014-the-finale-part-iii/

Ilya Davidenko, a 22 year old Kazakahstan version of Ivan Drago came to Qinghai Lake, riding for the Astana Continental team, and made the rest of the field his bitch.  This kid won the yellow jersey, placed 2nd in the green jersey classification, was the best young rider, dropped the majority of climbers on climbs, and won a field sprint.  There were other questionable riders at this race, but Davidenko took the level of questionability to entirely new level. Sure enough, a few weeks ago he tested positive.  However, unlike most UCI races that do not release prize money until 6 weeks after doping controls have been cleared, Qinghai Lake, like most Chinese races that I know of, simply handed out cash like it was a drug deal.  At the end of the 13th stage, managers from the team would walk into a room, where a box of cash totalling $500,000 sat, and were simply given what they won.  Although this practice should be awesome, as riders are often desperate to get cash asap, it also opens the door for assholes like Davidenko to come in, clean house, and get away without any repercussion.  Davidenko and Astana literally stole close to $100,000 from the rest of the field, and there is no way we are going to get that money back; bull-sh*t.

...as also picked up by Cyclingtips

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/11/canadian-pro-woods-blasts-astana-rider-davidenok-over-qinghai-lake-dominance-and-doping/
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    http://rustywoods.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/2014-the-finale-part-iii/

...as also picked up by Cyclingtips

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/11/canadian-pro-woods-blasts-astana-rider-davidenok-over-qinghai-lake-dominance-and-doping/
    It's great to see someone with enough stones to come out and tell it like it is.

It's also remarkable to consider that such comments are so rare as to become remarkable for even being put in print. Not from an interview, but from someone who is simply fed up.

If cyclists want fans to have any faith, there'll have to be more of the above. Much more.

And it further illustrates just how insulting and transparently phony the Hincapies, Leipheimers and Vande Veldes of the world are.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.