collapse

t-72

• Domestique
  • Liked: 824
World Championships 2017: Bergen, Norway!
« on: September 25, 2014, 22:41 »

Can't find trace of today's big announcement at the Worlds in Pontferrada so I'll just make thread for it: the world championships road racing 2017 will be hosted in Bergen, Norway. For me that will be a quite special event...my town, my hills, my sport! 

:cool

Looking forward to seeing you all! Welcome!
And watch out for Our local heroes *no Kristoffer Skjerping and *no Odd Christian Eiking (racing at U23 worlds in Ponferrada tomorrow) , they will be inspired by this!

Will add some details about the courses planned later unless someone else does it..

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:30 by LukasCPH »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: World Championships 2017: Bergen, Norway!
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 22:58 »
    TT's should be interesting, rain will probably play it's part.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 22:10 »

Announcements today included a new logo and some general news, from a more sporting perspective: modified courses for most of the races including men's elite road race. Now with an extension of 3.0 km city streets and seaside near the finish that makes the distance from the climbs to the finish longer and the run-in flatter. Smells more like a sprint finish now.

The new web site for Bergen 2017 is up and running and includes good maps of all the courses.

http://bergen2017.no/

The race organization is looking for volunteers (lots of them, and some with competence in cycling meaning you maybe should consider it). 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:29 by LukasCPH, Reason: made image bigger »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10242
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5587
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:29 »
    (<--- why can I only show this .png as a miniature??help!)
    Fixed it for you. ;)

However, the HTML image embedding I did is only available for mods.

Post Merge: September 18, 2015, 11:30
    The race organization is looking for volunteers (lots of them, and some with competence in cycling meaning you maybe should consider it).
    Will they pay my accommodation? If yes, I'm game! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10242
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 15:19 »
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    « Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 22:31 »
    BUMP!

Posters like this are starting to appear in public places all over town.

Sorry for the low quality picture, it was indoors in a quite dimly lit room and I didn't know how to set flash properly :)

It is still half a year left, but I think the organization is struggling a little on local community relations - as much of the focus in the press these days are on the inconveniences.  Blocking ordinary access for cars and public transportation to some neighbourhoods for 10 days is far out of the ordinary and for those that have yet not noticed we're going to host one of the biggest yearly sports events here in this town, it comes as a shock. Now they are starting to realize the world championship is a huge event. In many people's head it probably meant "a bike race". That's as opposed to 9 days of racing....

Furthermore,  there are a few expensive seats to be sold at a VIP location near the finish line. Not sure - it is probably on a boat overlooking the finish area (which will be on the Hanseatic Wharf at Vågen, Bergen's perhaps most iconic historic location.)

The time trial course for men was changed last year - it will finish with the climb up to Fløyen. What I did not realize until I saw this poster was that in exchange they scrapped Birkelundsbakken, the other climb which now only will feature in the women's ITT. It is much shorter but it would have been a dominant feature of the course (and it wil be for the women). However, it was at the extreme end of the ~out and back course (ok..two different roads but still out and back...) - the audience wouldn't get a finish line experience if they were out there. Fløyen has the potential for massive crowds.

Here's a view from the finish area a couple of weeks ago:

This image doesn't really convey the gradient of the climb but at least you can get an idea about the general steepness of the area by showing one of the bends between the Fjellveien station and Skansemyren superimposed above the Torget marketplace.

Now that the course will be flattish with a steep finish, it doesn't look like Tony Martin and Jonathan Castroviejo territory anymore and depending on who shows up and how motivated they are for the worlds, it could be between Chris Froome, Riche Porte, Tom Dumoulin, Thibaut Pinot and the Letalnica survivor. And the russian guy who only wins uphill time trials - I think it is too much of a flat start for him but Ilnur Zakharin might be as happy as Pinot for the lack of serious downhill here.

EDIT: The Sollien climb has been renamed once again and is now known as Salmon hill.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks