collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1540
World Championships 2017
« on: September 25, 2014, 22:41 »

Can't find trace of today's big announcement at the Worlds in Pontferrada so I'll just make thread for it: the world championships road racing 2017 will be hosted in Bergen, Norway. For me that will be a quite special event...my town, my hills, my sport! 

:cool

Looking forward to seeing you all! Welcome!
And watch out for Our local heroes *no Kristoffer Skjerping and *no Odd Christian Eiking (racing at U23 worlds in Ponferrada tomorrow) , they will be inspired by this!

Will add some details about the courses planned later unless someone else does it..

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:41 by LukasCPH »

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1738
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Re: World Championships 2017: Bergen, Norway!
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 22:58 »
    TT's should be interesting, rain will probably play it's part.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 22:10 »

Announcements today included a new logo and some general news, from a more sporting perspective: modified courses for most of the races including men's elite road race. Now with an extension of 3.0 km city streets and seaside near the finish that makes the distance from the climbs to the finish longer and the run-in flatter. Smells more like a sprint finish now.

The new web site for Bergen 2017 is up and running and includes good maps of all the courses.

http://bergen2017.no/

The race organization is looking for volunteers (lots of them, and some with competence in cycling meaning you maybe should consider it). 
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:29 by LukasCPH, Reason: made image bigger »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 08:04 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:29 »
    (<--- why can I only show this .png as a miniature??help!)
    Fixed it for you. ;)

However, the HTML image embedding I did is only available for mods.

Post Merge: September 18, 2015, 11:30
    The race organization is looking for volunteers (lots of them, and some with competence in cycling meaning you maybe should consider it).
    Will they pay my accommodation? If yes, I'm game! :D
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 15:19 »
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 22:31 »
    BUMP!

Posters like this are starting to appear in public places all over town.

Sorry for the low quality picture, it was indoors in a quite dimly lit room and I didn't know how to set flash properly :)

It is still half a year left, but I think the organization is struggling a little on local community relations - as much of the focus in the press these days are on the inconveniences.  Blocking ordinary access for cars and public transportation to some neighbourhoods for 10 days is far out of the ordinary and for those that have yet not noticed we're going to host one of the biggest yearly sports events here in this town, it comes as a shock. Now they are starting to realize the world championship is a huge event. In many people's head it probably meant "a bike race". That's as opposed to 9 days of racing....

Furthermore,  there are a few expensive seats to be sold at a VIP location near the finish line. Not sure - it is probably on a boat overlooking the finish area (which will be on the Hanseatic Wharf at Vågen, Bergen's perhaps most iconic historic location.)

The time trial course for men was changed last year - it will finish with the climb up to Fløyen. What I did not realize until I saw this poster was that in exchange they scrapped Birkelundsbakken, the other climb which now only will feature in the women's ITT. It is much shorter but it would have been a dominant feature of the course (and it wil be for the women). However, it was at the extreme end of the ~out and back course (ok..two different roads but still out and back...) - the audience wouldn't get a finish line experience if they were out there. Fløyen has the potential for massive crowds.

Here's a view from the finish area a couple of weeks ago:

This image doesn't really convey the gradient of the climb but at least you can get an idea about the general steepness of the area by showing one of the bends between the Fjellveien station and Skansemyren superimposed above the Torget marketplace.

Now that the course will be flattish with a steep finish, it doesn't look like Tony Martin and Jonathan Castroviejo territory anymore and depending on who shows up and how motivated they are for the worlds, it could be between Chris Froome, Riche Porte, Tom Dumoulin, Thibaut Pinot and the Letalnica survivor. And the russian guy who only wins uphill time trials - I think it is too much of a flat start for him but Ilnur Zakharin might be as happy as Pinot for the lack of serious downhill here.

EDIT: The Sollien climb has been renamed once again and is now known as Salmon hill.

• ReplyReply

• Comlite31

• Coach Potato
    • Liked: 0
    I am looking forward to that.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    *be cyclists Oliver Naesen, Yves Lampaert, Jolien D'Hoore and Ann-Sophie Duyck spotted in Bergen today, testing the course for the worlds with a few local riders from #fixit and an entourage of police guards and *be cycling boss Kevin De Weert. According to reports in the local media they tested both the road race and time trial loop courses + Naesen and Lampaert also did the Fløyen climb which will be the last part of the ITT.
    Their evaluation is different from the dutch team's evaluation: The Belgians said that the road race loop was not as hard as expected and might be perfect for strong sprinters like *no Kristoff. On the other hand, the climb to Fløyen which will be used in the men's ITT was much harder than expected. Lampaert said it would favor strong climbers that can also hold a high speed on the flat section,  *uk Froome, *au Dennis and  *nl Dumoulin.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 22:23 »
    Hi again, chairmen of the board!
    Despite warnings from the system I will spam this thread with updates from Bergen (small and large) in the next month!

1. whoever wins the world championship remains to be seen, but now I got the world's cup!  ;) (yes that's the official :P )

2. Friday night out for a beer we spotted these guys redoing the crucial 100 degree curve at intersection between Kong Oscarsgate and Vetrlidsalmenningen. There has been some roadworks in the area, supposedly they have been installing some booby trap equipment called a "Quit-a-Kowski"  :angel

3. Spotted today: came back into town (by car) in the afternoon after travels and blocked the road for #coop August Jensen training on a hill just next to my house. August is not Norway's best hope but depsite being from the northern town of Bodø his adress for the past 2 years has been on the descent section of the "salmon hill". In other words...got to be our "local hero"< for the breakaway!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5356
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 18:57 »
    I've got a week booked off work just so that I can watch most of it.  :cool

I'll miss the TTTs, but it was either miss that day's competition or the one on the very last day.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 20:00 »
    I'll miss the TTTs, but it was either miss that day's competition or the one on the very last day.
    No contest.
    TTTs vs. elite RR? I know what I'd choose.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 21:46 »
    As we are a pretty diverse forum with respect to which country we are from...
    Can I ask you to post your teams as they become available, please? Note the plural, I know some people here aren't that bugged with their citizenship and quite supportive of different teams. Write your heart out  :D

PS: I have put teams up in the order of the races (disregarding the TTT). Copy my setup as a template if you wish...
    PPS: you are allowed to highlight your favorites / captains :)

*no Norway's teams
    It is not all about the captains in the men's elite road race: Our two best domestic teams, #hitec and #joker are dominant across all classes in norway's line up, and may provide the best results for Norway in this championship. Smaller teams like #coop and #tss, #unox may also play an important role. While #champeu Kristoff and Boasson Hagen both get a qualified chance at the men's elite road race, they can only win if the terrible twins of  *pl and  *sk (Kwiatkowski and #rainbow Sagan) doesn't. Norway has better chances in the men's junior's time trial (#champeu Leknessund) and men's U23 road race (#rainbow Halvorsen).
    Our women can't be expected to produce similar results but Susanne Andersen is an outside bet for a podium.

Monday, September 18:
    Women's juniors individual time trial: riders yet to be announced
    Men's U23 individual time trial: #joker Iver Knotten, #joker Tobias Foss

Tuesday, September 19
    Men's juniors individual time trial: Olav Hjelmsæter Søren Wærenskjold, #champeu Andreas Leknessund, Idar Andersen
    Women's elite individual time trial: #hitec Vita Heine, #hitec Thea Thorsen

Wednesday, September 20
    Men's elite individual time trial: #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen, #tss Andreas Vangstad

Thursday, September 21:
    Lay day - the road race course will be open for training in the morning.

Friday, September 22
    Women's juniors road race: team not announced yet...
    Men's U23 road race: #rainbows #joker Kristoffer Halvorsen, #joker Anders Skaarseth, #joker  #champno Rasmus Tiller, #unox Syver Wærsted, #joker Tobias Foss, #joker Ole Forfang.

Saturday, September 23
    Men's juniors road race: Olav Hjelmsæter Søren Wærenskjold, Andreas Leknessund, Idar Andersen, Jonas Iversby Hvideberg, Ludvig Fischer Aasheim
    Women's elite road race:  #hitec Vita Heine, #hitec Emilie Moberg, #hitec Susanne Andersen, #hitec Katrine Aalerud. 2 more riders to be announced later.

Sunday, September 24
    Men's elite road race: #champeu #katusha Aleksander Kristoff, #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen, #jumbo Amund Grøndahl Jansen, #uae Vegard Stake Laengen, #fdj Daniel Hoelgaard, #coop August Jensen, #astana Truls Korsæth, #fdj Odd Christian Eiking, #katusha Sven Erik Bystrøm*
    * #joker Markus Hoelgaard (brother of Daniel) may step in if Bystrøm is not recovering well from a broken shoulderblade in the Vuelta
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 22:19 »
    Thursday, September 21:
    Lay day - the road race course will be open for training in the morning.
    I trust you've taken that day off and will be on the course yourself? :D
    Seriously, if at all possible, try to do that. I did it in 2011, and it was quite cool. Riding in a group with a.o. Teklehaimanot, and later even sitting on the wheel of van Avermaet ... :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 05:19 »
    and later even sitting on the wheel of van Avermaet ... for about 25 metres before I got dropped

Fixed for accuracy. :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 11:24 »
    Fixed for accuracy. :D
    :lol

Lies, terrible lies ... Vansummeren went for a pee, and they soft-pedaled for about half a lap (of 14 km) to let him catch up. It was only when he was back and they went up Geels Bakke at what must have been an easy-peasy speed for them - but way too fast for me.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 12:55 »
    Today's little appetizer:
    The men's elite individual time trial on wednesday, September 20th will feature a very unusual finish up the Mount Fløyen. The climb starts right in the middle of downtown Bergen, and takes you to the city's most famous viewpoint. It's 3.4 kilometers at 9.1% average. Local cyclist Bo-Andre Namtvedt (former 2x Norwegian champion) shows you what it looks like in this video, courtesy of local paper BA:
    https://www.ba.no/floyen/sport/sykkel-vm/vm-tempoen-i-bergen-far-en-meget-spektakular-avslutning-opp-floyen/v/5-8-639283
    Look for the first and the final part of the climb! The middle is a bit easier and the very last meters are flattish.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 17:38 »
    Any news of which teams will be riding the TTT? I know the UCI and teams settled (some of) their differences and there won't be a boycott, but I know Lotto-Soudal won't be riding for example.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 19:24 »
    Any news of which teams will be riding the TTT?
    Not really, no.
    All I can give you is this link to this document that's a.o. listing the invited/qualified teams[1], and specifying that teams need to confirm their participation by 22 August (so almost two weeks ago).
    Oh, and on top of that, teams from the organising nation may enter whether they're qualified or not, plus up to 10 wildcards may be given to non-qualified teams who file a participation request.

By the way, nations also had to confirm the quota for the men's RR (albeit by 31 August), with non-confirmed places being redistributed.

It would be great to see a list of which nations will actually participate, and with how many riders (and which teams will actually go for the TTT) - but hey, this is only the pinnacle event of our sport, so who really cares. :fp
     1. the difference between invited & qualified teams being that the invited teams (WT + six best PCTs) get a participation allowance while the rest have to pay their own way
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 20:38 »
    It's not my team, but I noticed they had made their selection, so here it is.

*be

Evenepoel is a first year junior, but is on a hot streak recently. He's signed to ride for Axeon in 2019
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 20:58 »
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 21:10 »
    It's not my team, but I noticed they had made their selection, so here it is.

*be

:S Yikes! Need more booby traps for installation immediately.

Wellens is a fantastic racer to bring along for Bergen. Hope he is motivated. In certain conditions not completely unexpected here he can win this solo with a 13 minutes gap. In all other conditions he is just the guy up there in the break, but that is it. Having such a strong team means you can pack one with a different specialty. 

As for which conditions? Let me remind you of what Salmon hill looked like, last year. Tour des Fjords 2016, stage 1:

Here is Løbergsveien, other side of the valley, same race/day:

We think it rains a lot in Bergen. There's hardly any city in Europe with comparable statistics, I have been told), but to put it in perspective: Houston just got about half a year of Bergen precipitation in less than one week. Anyway, which is the wet month in Bergen? All of them - but September is the worst,  on average! Belgium takes a chance, and can win with Wellens Weather in Bergen. UK people take it as a reminder: Wet-  Wellingtons .  Wellens!

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 21:22 »
    On a slightly less serious note, I had a quite relaxed evening ride around 3/4 of the circuit course today (skipping the downtown part). A lot of traffic furniture has been removed and replaced by temporary installations which I presume they will remove, to make the course safer, on race days. This includes:
    • Several roundabouts have been levelled in the middle
    • Many speedbumps have been shaved off (but, interestingly - not the ones in the narrow, technically challenging descent from Løbergsalleen to Minde.)
    • Traffic islands near the base of Salmon hill and in Årstadveien are gone

I might come back to the Løbergalleen to Minde descent (I would need to bring a camera). It is not steep but there are a few difficulties; narrow road with speedbumps on the first part of the descent, then a roundabout which has been removed followed by a wide-road S-curve section where the curves are "off camber" (is that correct english?) I mean - the road actually drops to the outside of the bends at least on the first curve in the S)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 21:27 »
    If he was allowed to ride for himself, I'd quite fancy the chances of Stuyven, but he's probably 4th or 5th in line...

Those graphics don't have the TT picks for whatever reason.

Elite Men

Campenaerts
    Lampaert
    De Plus

U23 Men

Leysen
    Van Hooydonck

Junior Men

Grignard
    Van Wilder

Elite Women

Duyck

Junior Women

Bossuyt
    Castrique
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 21:30 »
    The Colombians have announced parts of their team as well. Fernando Gaviria will be supported by Rigoberto Urán, Sergio & Sebastián Henao, Járlinson Pantano, Jhonatan Restrepo and Nairo Quintana. The two remaining spots will be decided between Miguel Ángel López, Esteban Chaves, Darwin Atapuma, Sebastián Molano, Nelson Soto and Aristóbulo Cala.

http://www.federacioncolombianadeciclismo.com/federacion/seleccion-colombia-manzana-postobon-para-el-campeonato-mundial-de-ruta-noruega-2017/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 18:54 »
    http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/61067/mondial-la-selection-definitive-de-la-suisse

*ch

Elite Hommes :
    Contre-la-montre :
    Stefan Küng (BMC Racing Team)
    Reto Hollenstein (Katusha-Alpecin)

Course en ligne :
    Michael Albasini (Orica-Scott)
    Silvan Dillier (BMC Racing Team)
    Stefan Küng (BMC Racing Team)
    Fabian Lienhard (Team Vorarlberg)
    Gregory Rast (Trek-Segafredo)
    Michael Schär (BMC Racing Team)

Elite Féminines :
    Contre-la-montre :
    Ramona Forchini (Strüby-BiXS Team)
    Marlen Reusser (RV Ersigen)

Course en ligne :
    Ramona Forchini (Strüby-BiXS Team)
    Nicole Hanselmann (Cervélo-Bigla Pro Cycling Team)
    Linda Indergand (Focus XC Eliteteam)

Espoirs Hommes :
    Contre-la-montre :
    Marc Hirschi (BMC Development Team) -notre photo-
    Martin Schäppi (BMC Development Team)

Course en ligne :
    Marc Hirschi (BMC Development Team)
    Gino Mäder (VC Mendrisio-PL Valli)
    Patrick Müller ( BMC Development Team)
    Lukas Rüegg (Team Hörmann)

Juniors Hommes :
    Contre-la-montre :
    Mauro Schmid ( VC Steinmaur)
    Valère Thiébaud (Zeta Cycling Club Colombier)

Course en ligne :
    Ruben Eggenberg (RSC Aaretal Münsingen)
    Mauro Schmid (VC Steinmaur)
    Valère Thiébaud (Zeta Cycling Club Colombier)
    Alex Vogel (Team Raiffeisen Aadorf – Elgg)
    Alexandre Balmer (Cimes-Cycle La Chaux-de-Fonds)

Juniors Féminines :
    Contre-la-montre :
    Lara Krähemann (jb BRUNEX Felt Team)

Course en ligne :
    Lara Krähemann (jb BRUNEX Felt Team)

I'd have liked to seen Albasini give the race a real go, but his lack of racing since the TdF makes me think this isn't a target.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 13:25 by LukasCPH »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 19:05 »
    The two remaining spots will be decided between Miguel Ángel López, Esteban Chaves, Darwin Atapuma, Sebastián Molano, Nelson Soto and Aristóbulo Cala.

http://www.federacioncolombianadeciclismo.com/federacion/nelson-soto-y-sebastian-molano-completan-la-nomina-elite-para-el-mundial-de-ruta-2017/

Soto and Molano get the nod.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:23 »
    I am so excited  :D
    Streets are being marked as off limits to parking of vehicles, and barriers are being put in place-

https://twitter.com/Dir_Sportif/status/907044709905915909

(A bit of a bummer, it's the symmetrical inverted Y-foot design which have caused so many racing accidents over the past few years...should have had the assymetric L[/]-foot design which is a lot safer for racers.)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28 »
    ...and add to that, today's long-term weather forecast: dry until wednesday 20th (end of prediction period, wait 4 more days for sunday 24th..)
    I wouldn't count on it, pack your umbrellas!

I live inside the loop of the road race parcours, and as you can see we don't need to wait for Peter Sagan to come back from Canada to see double rainbows over the racecourse. Picture from Saturday evening, that's Mount Ulriken aka "Salmon Hill) on the right and the pot of gold in the Kalfaret descent section.)
  • ReplyReply

• Caruut

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 365
      • Sporcle quizzes on cycling.
    • Awards: Post of 2014
    « Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 14:59 »
    The curves are "off camber" (is that correct english?)

I think "adverse camber" is more common, but I got what you meant and I think you can use it.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks