collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1526
Re: World Championships 2017
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2017, 07:43 »
Let me add to the above: I am really curious to see if the salmon hill will be decisive in the races where it is climbed fewer times:

Friday (today):
Women's junior: 4 laps
Men's U-23: 10 laps

Saturday:
Men's junior: 4 laps
Women's elite: 8 laps

Sunday:
Men's elite: 11 laps

Looks like the men's U-23 race will be the best predictor for how the men's elite race will play out. It is not a given that the impact will be the same in all classes.

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9452
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #121 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27 »
    Let me add to the above: I am really curious to see if the salmon hill will be decisive in the races where it is climbed fewer times:

Friday (today):
    Women's junior: 4 laps
    Men's U-23: 10 laps

Saturday:
    Men's junior: 4 laps
    Women's elite: 8 laps

Sunday:
    Men's elite: 11 laps

Looks like the men's U-23 race will be the best predictor for how the men's elite race will play out. It is not a given that the impact will be the same in all classes.

not that it makes much of a difference, but in the men's elite race they will climb it 12 times (the first lap doesn't seem to be counted as it isn't a full lap - they enter the circuit after 1km or so)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #122 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10 »
    not that it makes much of a difference, but in the men's elite race they will climb it 12 times (the first lap doesn't seem to be counted as it isn't a full lap - they enter the circuit after 1km or so)
    Same for men's juniors, they do four full laps plus one, so five ascents of the hill.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #123 on: September 22, 2017, 11:19 »
    Wielerflits did a preview for today:

**** Vincenzo Albanese
    *** Iván García, Aliaksandr Riabushenko
    ** Kristoffer Halvorsen, Damien Touzé, Michael Storer
    * Patrick Müller, Fabio Jakobsen, Michael Carbel Svendgaard, Jasper Philipsen

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/302774/wk-2017-voorbeschouwing-wegrit-beloften.html
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #124 on: September 22, 2017, 18:01 »
    Wow. Just wow. Again. :o
    Two magnificent races to start off the second part of the Worlds. :win

First the women's juniors raced four laps of the circuit, and they raced from the gun. *dk Emma Norsgaard got a gap on the descent from the hill on the first lap and kept going for some time, but eventually decided it was too early still and dropped back.
    There were several moves, but the next to really get a gap was *it Elena Pirrone on the penultimate lap with almost 30 km to go ... and she just kept going. Her teammates, especially Paternoster, did a good job of shutting down any chasers, and Pirrone could celebrate a great victory. Supported by Bohé, Norsgaard kept her powder dry in the finish and took silver ahead of a very strong Paternoster.

And in the afternoon, the U23 delivered what was an even better race. 10 laps of the circuit, and here, too, the race was on from the start. Two groups merged into a break of 12, including five Africans, five Europeans, and two Japanese: *jp Oka, *jp Yamamoto, *pt José Fernandes, *ua Novakovskiy, *by Strokau, *se Höög, *er Habtom, *er Musie, *er Solomon, *rw Mugisha, *hu Pelikán, and *ma Zahiri. They kept a gap of around two minutes for some time, while the peloton was controlled by *no with *dk sitting on their wheels. Eritrea having three riders in the break, as well as Japan having two, made for some speculation about their tactics, and if they could keep one of their riders fresh enough to go with later moved coming up from behind.

Halfway through the race, the twelve were slowly brought back, and other riders started attacking. A strong group of eight formed, including *se Höög from the early break plus *au Hindley, *ru Sivakov, *no Tiller, *us McNulty, *ch Müller, *kz Gidich, and *uk Davies, and built a gap of up to one-and-a-half minutes before the peloton woke up and brought them back to more manageable 23 seconds at the start of the penultimate.

Then the race exploded completely, riders attacked not only on the climb, but already on the run-in, and others simply pushed a high pace over the hill hoping to fracture the peloton and form groups that way. The situation changed constantly on the downhill & false flat, with the field in single file, riders coming to the front, dropping back, and chasing others down. It all came back together on the part after the cobbles, winding through Sandviken and back to Bergen along the sea, and a large peloton of 80 started the final lap together.

Again there was a move in the slightly rising run-in to the actual climb, with *fr Madouas & Thomas represented in the group of six along with *co Paredes, *it Albanese, *uy Moreira, and *au Storer. Defending champion and home country favourite *no Kristoffer "Doffen" Halvorsen couldn't keep up on the final climb up Salmon Hill, meaning that the great work of his teammates was for nought (apart from an impressive show of strength - Joker Icopal would be more than ready for PCT status if only they wanted to step up and/or had the sponsorship for it).

*de Kämna attacked from the peloton just before the climb, joined the front, took a short breather, then powered on solo. He had about 12 seconds at the top, and he's an accomplished timetrialist (former junior world champion, and just won the TTT with Sunweb on Sunday). *fr Cosnefroy was part of a chasing group of four, but went down the descent like a falcon, dropping his companions and taking up the chase of the German in front of him. *co Paredes, after shooting up the climb like a rocket, was also in between the front and the peloton for some time. Cosnefroy caught Kämna on Kalfaret, and they worked together alright, keeping a slender gap on the peloton through the cobbles of Vetrlidsalmenningen & Øvregaten.

Had the circuit turned left after that, going onto Bryggen and on to the finish immediately, they would have had time to play cat-and-mouse with each other - but the 3-km detour through Sandviken meant that the peloton stood more than a real chance of catching them and bringing about a bunch sprint for the #rainbow jersey. Kämna even disrupted the cooperation by attacking with 3.8 km to go, but couldn't shake off the Frenchman. Paredes was reeled in, and several other riders tried jumping from the peloton, but didn't get away. The front duo persisted and went into the last turns a few seconds ahead of the peloton. Cosnefroy opened the sprint, and Kämna had nothing left to answer with, giving the gold medal to France. *dk Carbel won the bunch sprint for bronze.

Medal table after 7/10 events:
    /gm /sm /bm
    1 *it Italy 2 2 1
    2 *nl Netherlands 2 1 0
    3 *dk Denmark 1 1 1
    4 *fr France 1 0 1
    5 *uk Great Britain 1 0 1
    6 *de Germany 0 1 0
    7 *si Slovenia 0 1 0
    8 *us USA 0 1 0
    9 *au Australia 0 0 2
    10 *pl Poland 0 0 1
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:33 by LukasCPH »

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #125 on: September 22, 2017, 18:16 »
    Kämna looked so good the last lap up Sollien, but he may have burned too much there.
    Personally, I have declared a 12 hour phase of grief  :( TT TT

Attackers vs sprinters 2-0

Tomorrow the tables will turn. We (meaing *no) don't have a sprinter  :D

The way this tactically plays out I think I can see sprinters like Aleksander Kristoff struggling on Sunday.

EDIT: Sollien = upper part of "Salmon hill".
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5271
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #126 on: September 22, 2017, 19:32 »
    The sprinters still have a chance over the next couple of days. They just need to have enough helpers left on the last lap after the climbing. Easier said than done I know, but with the general level being higher in the elite races imo it's more likely to happen there.

An MSR re-match between Sagan, Kwiatkowski and Alaphilippe would be something though. :high
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #127 on: September 22, 2017, 19:51 »
    Junior Men's RR Start List:

Spoiler (hover to show)

Interestingly this has more starters than the U23 race today.

Only two Australian riders and only the one in the Junior Women's today. Was that all they qualified or all they could afford or was it a case of "it's not track we don't care"?

Some random names to watch out for: Gazzoli (off to join Polartec for 2018), Evenepoel, Matsuda, Arthur Kluckers (what a name), Tyler Cole, Turuk and 3 Israelis (sadly none of them called Guy).
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #128 on: September 22, 2017, 20:07 »
    Elite Women's RR Start List:

Spoiler (hover to show)

http://www.astanawomen.com/single-post/2017/09/18/Six-riders-racing-in-Bergen

If you were wondering like me where Arlenis Sierra is, she suffered a "vertebral" injury at the PanAm Championships.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1477
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #130 on: September 23, 2017, 00:35 »
    I hesitate to post this because I don't like posting videos of crashes. However this from the U23 men's race made my blood run cold.

https://twitter.com/GranFondoGuide/status/911326163963957249

The rider is *fi Joni Kanvera. Finnish Cycling report that he was taken to hospital and underwent surgery. His condition is stable but he has broken ribs, collarbone and is badly bruised with cuts to his face. That's bad enough, but it could have been so much worse.

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/911329102061293568

Obviously the car that hit Joni swung out to pass the car that had stopped to service the Irish rider. I don't know what the 'etiquette' is for following support cars, but this isn't right. It's looks and is dangerous driving and I can't believe the car just drove off!

NRK report the matter has been reported to the police and contains more details.

Hoping Joni heals well.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #131 on: September 23, 2017, 07:27 »
    Ok so I am away on holidays and haven't been able to watch any of these races. I know nothing about the course except what is written here (essentially that it's a ripper )

I will (hopefully) get to watch some or maybe even most of the race tomorrow though

So - what can I expect ?   

Is this a race for Phil?   
    Can Sagan get a three-peat?
    Aussies are all in for Matthews ... is that a realistic chance?

Or is it more for the likes of Kristoff and the sprinters ?

Please thought do have one request  - I do NOT want to have to deal with a ear of GVA in rainbows. :D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3504
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #132 on: September 23, 2017, 07:34 »

Interestingly this has more starters than the U23 race today.

Only two Australian riders and only the one in the Junior Women's today. Was that all they qualified or all they could afford or was it a case of "it's not track we don't care"?

Some random names to watch out for: Gazzoli (off to join Polartec for 2018), Evenepoel, Matsuda, Arthur Kluckers (what a name), Tyler Cole, Turuk and 3 Israelis (sadly none of them called Guy).

Not sure about the junior selection but I know for the women Aus qualified 7 but they only chose 5 saying "quality over quantity". Hosting and Neylan took it to CAS and won - and were both added to the squad - but the squad are not at all happy with the new manager
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1477
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #133 on: September 23, 2017, 08:07 »
    Finding it hard to put into words just how much I've enjoyed this Worlds. All the TTT/ITT's were fascinating. I don't think I'll forget the scenes on Mount Fløyen for a long time and I wish we'd seen the elite women tackle it also. The whole bike change drama, there were some shockers, and the tactics that played out over it. It was fitting that the podium contained a changer and a non changer. And as a bonus twitter was much more like a couple of years ago with a joyful feeling rather than the snipe fest it can so often be these days.[1]

The two RR we have seen have been brilliant, and I have the say the parcours is superbly balanced between attackers and sprint finishers and has produced some nail-biting finishes. So far the attackers have carried the day. We shall see if this continues, but I suspect the balance will swing in the elites.

I only have to read the content on here (take a bow EVERYONE) to see it's been the same for you guys. t-72 you must be having an absolute blast, I smile when I think of you out there (btw, did you take the beers in your backpack on Weds??)  The organisers are really living up to the hashtag #racetocelebrate it's felt like that every time I watch. That goes for their social media too...

This one caught my eye yesterday. I thought at first glance it was a tale of a day trip to watch the race pass by, but no, it's much, much better than that. This is proper inclusivity for a section of the population so often disregarded. Loved it  :cool

https://twitter.com/bergen2017/status/911274243832328193

1. the Danish lions bringing home some metal hasn't harmed my mood either  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3890
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #134 on: September 23, 2017, 08:27 »
    I hope Gazzoli does well because he will race for Berto's Conti team next season :)
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #135 on: September 23, 2017, 08:50 »
    The men's juniors are ranked 22nd in the Nations Cup, which would give them three spots + one spot for the Continental champion.
    The women's juniors are ranked 7th, for four spots + one for the Continental champion.
    So this is very much a case of "it's not track we don't care".
    :angry

The rider is *fi Joni Kanerva. Finnish Cycling report that he was taken to hospital and underwent surgery. His condition is stable but he has broken ribs, collarbone and is badly bruised with cuts to his face. That's bad enough, but it could have been so much worse.
    :o That looked awful. :(
    I'd say that both car drivers are at fault here:
    The first car shouldn't stop so soon after a turn; but of course, that's no excuse for the second car to hit the rider like that. You must be aware of if there's a rider around your car AT ALL TIMES.
    I know it was a split-second decision to avoid crashing into the other car ... but here's the thing: Modern cars are incredibly safe. They have airbags, crush-collapsible zones and whatnot. Cyclists are basically naked. Maybe people who drive cars in a bike race should be taught that in this situation, if you're not 1000% sure there are no cyclists around, it's better to hit the brakes and crash into the car in front of you than to suddenly swerve like that.

Ok so I am away on holidays and haven't been able to watch any of these races. I know nothing about the course except what is written here (essentially that it's a ripper )
    It's not even that much of a ripper, could have been made harder:
    The climb isn't hard enough to really get away with an attack (though the descent & false flat are so technical & fast that you can extend your advantage here if you're good, and won't lose your advantage unless you're really bad - and then you wouldn't be off the front in the first place).
    And the 3-km detour through Sandviken very much puts a chasing peloton at the advantage over any attackers.

It's still a great course, of course. :)
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 864
    « Reply #136 on: September 23, 2017, 13:39 »
    . . .

Please thought do have one request  - I do NOT want to have to deal with a ear of GVA in rainbows. :D
    :lol  It took me more than a minute to figure out what you meant - I think "ear" threw me off!
    Please though I do have one request  - I do NOT want to have to deal with a year of GVA in rainbows.
    Right?

Two magnificent races to start off the second part of the Worlds. :win
     . . .
    Lukas, CHAPEAU! Your reporting on the women's and U23 was better than anything I've seen from the likes of CN. I didn't get live streaming.

. . .
    :o That looked awful. :(
    I'd say that both car drivers are at fault here:
    The first car shouldn't stop so soon after a turn; but of course, that's no excuse for the second car to hit the rider like that. You must be aware of if there's a rider around your car AT ALL TIMES.
    I know it was a split-second decision to avoid crashing into the other car ... . . .
    Watching it, it seems obvious to me that the 2nd driver had a momentary lapse of attention, and failed to slow when the car in front did. The results were sufficiently catastrophic - I am glad they were not worse. That driver should be carrying a large lesson today, as he goes forward.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #137 on: September 23, 2017, 14:33 »
    first star ratings for tomorrow:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Sagan
    :*:*:*:* GvA, Matthews
    :*:*:* Gilbert, Kwiat, EBH
    :*:* Trentin, Dumoulin, Gaviria, Kristoff
    :* Costa, Wellens, Ulissi, Alaphilippe, Stybar

*nl de Telegraaf
    :*:*:*:*:* Sagan, Kwiatkowski
    :*:*:*:* EBH, GvA, Matthews
    :*:*:* Dumoulin, Gilbert, Alaphilippe, Trentin
    :*:* Boom, Poels, Wellens, Kreistoff. Gallopin, Ulissi
    :* Terpstra, Mollema, Herrada, D. Martin, Swift, Gaviria, Kragh
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #138 on: September 23, 2017, 17:05 »
    . . .
    Watching it, it seems obvious to me that the 2nd driver had a momentary lapse of attention, and failed to slow when the car in front did. The results were sufficiently catastrophic - I am glad they were not worse. That driver should be carrying a large lesson today, as he goes forward.

BTW, regarding that accident? I recently saw a sign at a golf course that is applicable. I can not remember the exact wording, but to paraphrase: "You are not the players in front of the players behind you. You are the players behind the players in front of you. "  It is equally applicable to the situation for motor traffic.

When cycling, especially team time trialing, it is sometimes different, and only because drafting is so important to a cyclist. In motor traffic you should ONLY be concerned about the traffic ahead of you, and primarily the one directly ahead of you. The 2nd driver lost sight of that for a second or three, and that was 3 seconds too many.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1744
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #139 on: September 23, 2017, 17:24 »
     So, the Dutch mega women chase down the eventual Dutch winner, who would have won in any case, then mark themselves out of silver and bronze. :lol :lol :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #140 on: September 23, 2017, 18:56 »
    Elite Men's RR Start List:

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #141 on: September 23, 2017, 19:08 »
    At the danger of repeating myself:
    Wow. :cool

In the men's juniors race, the #teamdk Danish team brought a dangerous break back from 1'20" to around 30" - and then Julius Johansen showed everyone who is boss, making the other boys in the race look like, well, boys:
    He bridged to the front group solo, then went solo from the front group, and with one-and-a-half laps to go[1]. Julius kept a small, but steady gap into the final lap, didn't lose any time on the last time up Salmon Hill (despite half the #teamit Italian team attacking the peloton and each other), and then gunned the descent and false flat.

Juniors race on restricted gears, and he was so fast that pedalling wouldn't have made any sense, so he got into an aero tuck and just went for it. In the chase that was left further and further behind, more than one rider was spinning out his gears in the effort to get closer, but it just wouldn't be. Once the road didn't go downhill anymore, Johansen sat back up and pedalled with such souplesse that he actually increased his advantage even further, winning a well-deserved #rainbow world title with a 51-second gap.

Behind, the one of the three Italians in the chase managed to just stay ahead of the peloton, and another (who had been caught with about 3 km to go) won the bunch sprint. The third finished in seventh place, giving the Italians two medals and three top-10 placings. You might think they could - maybe should - have won with better tactics, but to be honest, *dk Julius Johansen was simply in a class of his own today.

The women's elite race saw a #teamnl Dutch team that was head and shoulders above everyone, placing riders in every escape and being in control of the race at every moment. They could even afford to chase down their own riders, so strong was the team. But once the decisive attack was placed, the other Dutchwomen put their own ambitions aside and policed the chase group, disrupting the chase (not that there was much of one) and ensuring a win for their teammate.

That teammate was Chantal Blaak. Often riding in support of her (trade) teammates herself, everything aligned for her today: After an early crash, she got back into the peloton with road rash on the left leg and shoulder and a ripped kit, and after a dangerous move of 13 (including 3 Dutchwomen) that went on Salmon Hill on, you guessed it, the penultimate lap couldn't cooperate and was brought back, Blaak went off the front and was joined by #teamgb Hannah Barnes and #teamfr Audrey Cordon.

The trio started the final lap half a minute ahead of the peloton. On the last ascent of Salmon Hill, Annemiek van Vleuten opened proceedings from the peloton, but then #teampl Kaśia Niewiadoma pulled out all the stops, taking three other riders (#teamau Katrin Garfoot and the Dutch duo of AvV and Anna van der Breggen) with her in a ferocious attack. A massive pull by AvV brought this quartet to the front trio, and with three of the seven leaders in an orange jersey, this was now the Dutch team's race to lose.

But how were they going to win? Their strongest sprinter Blaak had to be tired, and AvV & AvdB, while impressive rouleurs, would likely lose a sprint against Barnes, Niewiadoma or Cordon. It was now that AvV sacrificed herself for the team, taking another huge turn on the front of the group once they had hit the (false-flat downhill) main road after the descent from the hill. And when she let off the pace, the now-so-tired-after-all Blaak went all-in, attacking from the back of the group and into the tunnel below the Haukeland hospital.

When they emerged from the tunnel, she was way ahead of the remaining six riders in the group that was no longer the front group, and with two Dutch riders (the Olympic champion and the freshly-crowned ITT world champion, no less!) on their heels, the four non-Dutch riders hesitated in chasing Blaak. Niewiadoma finally moved on the road to Sandviken after the cobbled section, but by then it was far, far too late, and Blaak was riding towards the #rainbow title. The chase group was swarmed by the sprinters in the final, with Garfoot just holding on for silver. #teamdk Amalie Dideriksen had the strongest kick on the last 50 metres and took bronze.

Medal table after 9/10 events:
    /gm /sm /bm
    1 *nl Netherlands 3 1 0
    2 *it Italy 2 3 2
    3 *dk Denmark 2 1 2
    4 *fr France 1 0 1
    6 *au Australia 0 1 2
    7 *de Germany 0 1 0
    8 *si Slovenia 0 1 0
    9 *us USA 0 1 0
    10 *pl Poland 0 0 1
     1. see a common theme here?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 19:20 by LukasCPH »

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #142 on: September 23, 2017, 23:31 »
    just to say hi, and yes, I am having a blast :)

For the second half of the women's race I was on "Salmon hill" (again), and it was awesome. I can walk from home to watch world class cycling, it is in Bergen, it is late September and I was wearing shorts and t-shirts all day. Chances are tomorrow I'll have to bring sunscreen instead of umbrella  :S

And then, the racing was really cool to follow up close, and the Norwegian women's team surprised us with really good performances, especially by Vita Heine and Susanne Andersen. I think Vita (our "adopted" Bergen girl) probably had the best race of her career. She was instrumental on bringing the peloton back together with the front group, setting up for Susanne Andersen to go for the sprint, scoring a 7th which is somewhat surprisingly Norway's best result to date.

Susanne is an unusual talent and I think we will see her develop into a female version of Aleksander Kristoff. She even talks like him, making bold statements and being brutally honest about everything. I might add she has the same trainer (Stein Ørn) same club background and that she at times trains with Kristoff too.

Tomorrow, back at "Salmon hill" with some friends, and some thousand cycling fans.  :cool
    I still think it will be a Sagan vs Kwiatkowski vs GvA battle, but that isn't so bad... :)
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #143 on: September 24, 2017, 03:08 »
    . . . some thousand cycling fans.  :cool
    I still think it will be a Sagan vs Kwiatkowski vs GvA battle, but that isn't so bad... :)

How much is Norway paying those fans? OMFG! SO MANY!  Love it! ;)

I'm watching the UCI full race broadcast (recorded) of the women's. Helps to see the on-the-road reactions and difficulty. Nice course, BTW, although that has been said. Not selective the first time, but do it 5 times or more, and it gets that way!

I don't think Kwiat is the man to win this one. Good course for Sagan, Phil Gil, or GVA. Kwiat might do it in a long break, I think.

If the teams actually work like teams to any degree, and they manage to keep things together in the last km, we might see Kristoff. Doubt that, tho. Teamwork never seems to me to be a forte in the men's worlds.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #144 on: September 24, 2017, 13:47 »
    I saw last night that Dumoulin is actively targeting the road win. Now THAT would be something - do you think Kelderman and Mollema would work as well as the Dutch women did? They could go for the same game plan. They have the team strength. If they actually pulled that off, it would be as massive as Sagan getting a 3-peat.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #145 on: September 24, 2017, 17:32 »
    No energy left for an in-depth report.
    But I found this another very good and utterly unpredictable race that could have gone any number of ways, and a great way to end a wonderful Worlds week.

Chapeau to the following riders:
    #teamie Conor Dunne & Sean McKenna, #teamaz Elchin Asadov, #teamza Willie Smit, #teamal Eugert Zhupa, #teamma Salaheddine Mraouni, #teamse Kim Magnusson, #teamcr Andrey Amador, #teamus Alexey Vermeulen & #teamfi Matti Manninen for going into the early break

#teambe Tim Wellens for initiating the break of eight subtoppers that stayed out front for almost two laps, as well as #teamnl Lars Boom, #teames David de la Cruz, #teamit Alessandro de Marchi, #teamno Odd Christian Eiking, #teamau Jack Haig, #teamat Marco Haller & #teamco Jarlinson Pantano for going with him

#teamnl Tom Dumoulin for not only showing up, but trying something - though I expected him to try more

#teamdk Michael Valgren for starting proceedings on the last climb of Salmon Hill

#teamfr Julian Alaphilippe for what could well have been the winning attack, shaking some of the best puncheurs in the world off his wheel

#teamby Vasil' Kiryienka for taking his chance and trying to chase down Alaphilippe & Moscon on his own (well, with Pöstlberger on his wheel)

#teamco Fernando Gaviria for not only going with the moves on the hill, but apparently[1] attacking on the last kilometres as well

#teamdk Magnus Cort for making a late attack for the title

#teamno The whole Norwegian team for taking responsibility for the race for a long time, and almost making it a dream finish with Kristoff just beaten to the line.

#teamsk Peter Sagan for keeping cooler than any cucumber, staying in the peloton all race (except for a short move after Gaviria's, apparently), putting all his eggs in the sprint basket - and pulling off an unprecedented 3rd #rainbow world title in a row

But most of all, a big, big TAKK to Bergen and the hundreds of thousands of (mostly Norwegian) spectators who made this the best Worlds I can remember. :pray

Final medal table:
    /gm /sm /bm
    1 *nl Netherlands 3 1 0
    2 *it Italy 2 3 2
    3 *dk Denmark 2 1 2
    4 *fr France 1 0 1
    6 *sk Slovakia 1 0 0
    7 *au Australia 0 1 3
    8 *no Norway 0 1 0
    9 *de Germany 0 1 0
    10 *si Slovenia 0 1 0
    11 *us USA 0 1 0
    12 *pl Poland 0 0 1
     1. we don't know for sure because of the lack of TV pictures from 4 km to go until 800 metres to go
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #146 on: September 24, 2017, 17:44 »
    Also, #teamit Gianni Moscon (who had made it to the wheel of Alaphilippe and was in the running for the title) has been disqualified for getting a tow from the team car after a crash.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1302
    « Reply #147 on: September 24, 2017, 19:01 »
    This disqualification is unfair given the countless precedents in the last few decades of riders being aided after a crash, whether being car-paced or towed this way: Example in mind Tom Boonen with the Mr Bookmaker car at the 2004 E3 Harelbeke.

Nothing much else to say about this race. It seems that next year is a Worlds with a route comparable to a real classic, so let's turn this page and focus on what is to come.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #148 on: September 24, 2017, 19:11 »
    Here's the part of the race we didn't see:
    http://www.tv2.no/sport/9384804/

There was a loss of electrical power on Fløyen which caused the loss of live footage from the moto cameras, leaving only the fixed cameras on the final kilometre.
    As Norwegian TV commentator said, "it was almost like a cross-country skiing race on Holmenkollen. Who emerges from the forest first". :D
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 851
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #149 on: September 24, 2017, 20:17 »
    Great week, great course, great fans, and a great climax to the championships.

Circa 2013-4 I really didn't like Peter Sagan because I thought he thought he was better than he was, and didn't know how to race.
    Over the past few years, to me at least, he as learned a great deal of humility and strategy.

We didn't see a lot of him towards the end of the race (well, we didn't see anything of 3-1km to go) but he rode it perfectly.

A few years ago we would have seen him closing down Alaphilippe, Kiri, Cort, Barguil and every other attack by himself. And perhaps he didn't do it with as much panache as he did in Richmond (or might have done in MSR this year) but 3 WCs in a row is a hell of a way to cement your position as a legend. At the age of 27. Crazy.

It might take him a few years (looking at Innsbruck in particular), but I don't doubt that he will win a fourth.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks