collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1475
Re: World Championships 2017: Bergen, Norway!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 23:12 »
Today's curiosa 1: election day in Norway today, results from Bergen delayed in arrival due to roadworks, preparing for the worlds....

Today's curiosa 2: the pilots in SAS are on strike, there's no way they havent't timed it for maximum chaos....(election, world championship etc going on at the same time...)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6055
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 09:38 »
    Ooh, barriers!

(A bit of a bummer, it's the symmetrical inverted Y-foot design which have caused so many racing accidents over the past few years...should have had the assymetric L-foot design which is a lot safer for racers.)
    Money, money, money ...
    There just aren't that many of the L barriers around, and when you simply say "we need barriers to block off X km of race parcours", they will bring what they have - which is the inverted Y in 98% of the cases.

They simply didn't bother to think of rider safety. And why should they, it's only the most important thing in the whole sport.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1424
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 11:30 »
     *dk for Bergen

TT Elite Women
    #bigla Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
    #tvc Pernille Mathiesen

RR Elite Women
    #boels Amalie Dideriksen
    #bigla Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
    #wiggle Julie Leth 
    #lsl Trine Schmidt
    #tvc Pernille Mathiesen
    #tvc Camilla Møllebro Pedersen
    #tvc Christina Siggaard

TT U19 Women
    Emma Norsgaard
    Caroline Bohé

RR U19 Women
    Emma Norsgaard
    Caroline Bohé

TT Elite Men
    #bornholm Martin Toft Madsen
    #aquablue Lasse Norman Hansen

RR Elite Men
    #astana Michael Valgren
    #orica Magnus Cort
    #orica Chris Juul Jensen
    #sunweb Søren Kragh Andersen
    #trek Mads Pedersen
    #katusha Michael Mørkøv

TT U23 Men
    #virtu Kasper Asgreen
    #roskilde Mikkel Bjerg
    #roskilde Mathias Norsgaard Jørgensen

RR U23 Men
    #roskilde Casper Pedersen
    #roskilde Mikkel Bjerg
    #virtu Kasper Asgreen
    #virtu Michael Carbel
    #lottou23 Mikkel Frølich Honoré
    #riwal Jonas Gregaard Wilsly

TT U19 Men
    Julius Johansen
    Johan Price-Pejtersen

RR U19 Men
    Julius Johansen
    Johan Price-Pejtersen
    Ludvig Anton Wacker
    Mattias Skjelmose
    Jacob Hindsgaul
    Johan Langballe
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:20 by LukasCPH »

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49 »
    Because every sporting event needs one  :cool

Official Music Video 2017 UCI Road World Championships

And what else does every sporting event need?

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5182
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 21:07 »
    *br

http://bike76.com/2017/09/cbc-convoca-tres-jovens-ciclistas-para-mundial-de-ciclismo-de-estrada-da-noruega/

U23 Men

Caio Godoy

Junior Men

Leonardo Finkler

Junior Women

Nicolle Wendy Borges

Introducing Apa

Apa or Max? I've seen him called both.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1269
    « Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 22:19 »
    Dylan Teuns enjoys first selection for the Worlds.

(Le Soir - 8 September)

Dylan Teuns is the summer revelation. He raced his first Canadian classics and will race his first Worlds. He's living in a dream, awaken.
    But I'm making it clear that it will be at my leader's service: Greg Van Avermaet. I can only have a free role at the Wallonia GP

I'm still baffled that De Weert left Sep Vanmarcke at home. It's just incomprehensible.  :angry
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 23:16 »
    Ok, I will start a little warm-up for the starting event on Sunday. It will be the team time trials, or "lagtempo" as it is called in our quasi-italian cycling lingo!

The race starts on Askøy, home of #fdj favorite son Odd Christian Eiking. He'll be throwing a big party on the Saturday night and make sure #fdj get enough beer to be out of contention.
    That will probably eliminate the home favorite making this a close match between the usual suspects. However, I think it can be an interesting race to watch, as it is not an easy course for TTT, especially the first 18 km.

The thing is, there isn't very much flat on these islands. It doesn't go a long way up or a long way down, the whole course is less than 100m above sea level. However, it rises and falls all the time, in short hills of varying steepness. Keeping a team together will be challenging as the weaker climbers may be distanced at least on the more intesene climbs, such as "the Burma road" from Loddefjord.

After "Burma road", the course is flatter along some lakes, around Bønes,  into Fjøsanger, and from there it starts climbing again, with the main obstacle of the course being Birkelundsbakken at approx km 30. From the top of Birkelundsbakken, we get more traditional TTT course with a very fast descent right at the beginning (to the start of Salmon hill, although they are not going up there). From there it is both flatter, some false-flattish terrain even, then theslow descent in Kalfaret[1] following the same route as the road races will use later towards the finish line after a couple of innercity corners that will cost some teams seconds.

The favorites....someone please fill in here :)

I did part of the parcours today, and noticed that barriers were standing ready in some critical intersections, but saw no teams out to play.   
     1. yes, it is slow, something with a very rough road surface or less gradient than it looks - I just can't go really fast there, even if there are no major obstacles. Clever teams save some power for this descent.....
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15 »
    The favorites....someone please fill in here :)   

I still don't know which teams have accepted or asked for (and been given) an invitation, but it will be the usual suspects towards the top.

:onfire1 :onfire1 :onfire1 BMC

:onfire1 :onfire1 Quickstep

:onfire1 Orica, Sky, LottoNL, Sunweb
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02 »

Apa or Max? I've seen him called both.

It was Apa on the Bergen website, I kinda like Max though - I shall refer to his as such :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22 »
    Lotto S U23 Mikkel Frølich Honoré
    We didn't have a separate kit smiley for the U23 team? :o
    We do now! :cool
    #lottou23 # lottou23

Also, #veloconcept # veloconcept (men) & #tvw # tvw (women) are now #virtu # virtu (men) & #tvc # tvc (women). :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51 »
    I still don't know which teams have accepted or asked for (and been given) an invitation
    And why should the UCI communicate such a list of teams, after all it's still a whole four days to go ... :fp
    Same about the entries for the road races - who cares which countries confirmed their quota and which didn't, it's only the Worlds. :fp

But, lo and behold, if you look hard enough you can find the entry lists buried deep on the UCI website.
    By the way, these were made on 5 September already, but nobody found it worthwhile to alert the greater public. :fp

Anyway, without further ado, let me present the glamourous lists of teams entering the two TTT events:

Women's TTT
    #bepink BePink Cogeas (WWT)
    #boels Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam (WWT)
    #btc BTC City Ljubljana (WWT)
    #canyon Canyon SRAM Racing (WWT)
    #bigla Cervélo-Bigla Pro Cycling Team (WWT)
    #futuroscope FDJ Nouvelle Aquitaine Futuroscope (WWT)
    #hitec Hitec Products (WWT)
    #sun Team Sunweb (WWT)
    #tvc Team Virtu Cycling (WWT)

Men's TTT
    #astana Astana Pro Team (WT)
    #bmc BMC Racing Team (WT)
    #bora Bora-hansgrohe (WT)
    #movistar Movistar Team (WT)
    #orica Orica-Scott (WT)
    #quickstep Quick-Step Floors (WT)
    #katusha Team Katusha Alpecin (WT)
    #jumbo Team LottoNL-Jumbo (WT)
    #sky Team Sky (WT)
    #sunweb Team Sunweb (WT)
    #trek Trek-Segafredo (WT)
    #ccc CCC Sprandi Polkowice (PCT)
    #joker Joker Icopal (CT)
    #sangemini Sangemini-MG.K Vis (CT)
    #fixit Team FixIT.no (CT)
    #sparsor Team Sparebanken Sør (CT)
    #unox Uno-X Hydrogen Development Team (CT)

Where's the rest, you say? Well ... that's it.
    15 teams were invited on the women's side, 8 of those accepted. 10 more could apply for an invitation, only 1 did. So, let's give a round of applause for #tvc Team Virtu Cycling!

On the men's side, things look considerably bleaker: 11 of 18 invited WT teams make the trip to Bergen (which isn't so bad). But below that, none of the 6 invited PCTs bother to come, only 1 of 12 qualified PCTs has accepted, and the same is true for Conti teams: Here, it's only 1 of 14 qualified teams. To boost the numbers, the five Norwegian CTs also 'qualified', and four of those will in fact line up. The only one giving the event a pass is #coop - is the Stavanger-Bergen rivalry so large that they'd voluntarily not race a world championship? Have they finished their season already? Or did they just not want to become a fig's leaf for the UCI by participating in this failing event?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56 »
    TTT parcours analysis by our resident Bergenser
    This is why it's great to have people 'on the ground' who know every inch of the course! :cool
    Tusen takk!

In another matter, do you know why the finish line was moved from Bryggen to Festplassen?
    And do you happen to know which part of the RR circuit will be designated as feed zone? In 2011, they had the feed zone on the lower part of Geels Bakke, effectively cancelling out one of the two climbs of the parcours as everyone would be going slow to get bottles and stuff. I'm convinced this participated in making the races as sprinter-friendly as they were; had there been a possibility to cannon up this hill every lap, Cav & co. would have been noticeably more tired.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 18:19 »
    *ca

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=33036
    http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=33006

Elite Men

Houle
    Duchesne
    Boivin

TT: Britton, Houle

U23 Men

Jack Burke - Squamish, BC [Aevolo]
    Pier-Andre Cote - St-Henri de Levis, QC [Silber Pro]
    Alec Cowan - Calgary, AB [Silber]
    Marc-Antoine Soucy - Amos, QC [Silber/Garneau-Quebecor]
    Nickolas Zukowsky - Ste Agathe, QC [Silber Pro]

TT: Cowan, Burke

Junior Men

Charles-Etienne Chretien - Amos, QC [IAM Gold]
    Michael Foley - Milton, ON [La Bicicletta]
    Kurt Penno - Brandon, MB [Trek-Red Truck]
    Graydon Staples - Orillia, ON [Toronto Hustle]

TT: Chretien, Staples

Elite Women

Lex Albrecht - Montreal, QC [Tibco-SVB]
    Sara Bergen - Coquitlam, BC [Rally]
    Karol-Ann Canuel - Gatineau, QC [Boels-Dolemans]
    Alison Jackson - Vermilion, AB [BePink - Cogeas]
    Leah Kirchmann - Winnipeg, MB [Team Sunweb]
    Kirsti Lay - Montreal, QC [Rally]

TT: Canuel, Kirchmann

Junior Women

Erin Attwell - Victoria, BC [Trek-Red Truck]
    Simone Boilard - Quebec City, QC [Desjardins-Ford]
    Maggie Coles-Lyster - Maple Ridge, BC [TAG]
    Laurie Jussaume - Contrecour, QC [VC Contrecour]

TT: Attwell, Jussaume
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 21:37 »
    More spam posts from Bergen  :D
    Cycling home from work today, I detoured from Fjøsanger up Christian Michelsensveg, following the TTT course towards the soon-to-be-infamous Birkelundsbakken. The barriers are already in place (quite a lot of them, even where the road is fenced off from the sidewalk, they have put the barriers on the outside of the fence...?? Maybe it's a designated height for commercial banners to be added later or something. Safetywise I can't see why?

Birkelundsbakken upper half

From the top of Birkelundsbakken it is a quick downhill (quite recently resurfaced so now even faster than I remembered it) to the start of Salmon hill, so I decided to go up there too. I was halfway expecting to be passed by lightning on the way but it seems there are no-one training in the evening, although it was far from dark yet.

Salmon hilltop in usual conditions... please zoom in for authentic details, no photoshop!

PS: Off the top of my head none of the races do Birkelundsbakken then Salmon hill, it is either-or. Birkelundsbakken is shorter but steeper and thus perhaps more selective than Salmon hill.

Birkelundsbakken will be used in TTTs, and for men's junior, men's U23 and women elite's ITT. In the road races all classes will use the Salmon hill. Women junior's ITT won't do any of them.

EDIT: did you see the double rainbows on the first picture?? second time I have seen it over the course this week. Signs of Sagan, a prophetic win may be coming up?  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 21:59 »
    This is why it's great to have people 'on the ground' who know every inch of the course! :cool
    Tusen takk!

In another matter, do you know why the finish line was moved from Bryggen to Festplassen?
    And do you happen to know which part of the RR circuit will be designated as feed zone? In 2011, they had the feed zone on the lower part of Geels Bakke, effectively cancelling out one of the two climbs of the parcours as everyone would be going slow to get bottles and stuff. I'm convinced this participated in making the races as sprinter-friendly as they were; had there been a possibility to cannon up this hill every lap, Cav & co. would have been noticeably more tired.

I am not 100% sure they ever really moved the finish to Bryggen. Last year's Tour de Fjords and the Norwegian Championship a few years further back used it (for a criterium race which is part of the championships. At the time of the Tour des Fjords the understanding was that the finish would be at Bryggen, but perhaps some problems were identified. My speculation would be, since there has been nothing in the press about it, that it is due to public safety concerns and possibly also a concern for the world heritage site at Bryggen.

(In general, the organizers have been organizing things very quietly and has failed to use the local press to rally support for the event. The press has had a negative focus for a long time with concerns about traffic and parking. It is not a large city but very many everyday tasks needs to be solved completely differently because of the worlds, and that generates some frustration. If anything, now, finally this week it looks like someone here who's not yours truly everyday cyclingfan  may be looking forward to this with a positive attitude. Monday at work was people moaning "how the f12# am I going to get my kids to kindergarten and school?" to "where are the best places to watch?" on Tuesday.)

I am moderate optimist by now, and the weather forecast is quite good for the first weekend and the workdays following, road race weekend prognosis is not published yet.At leat I am really looking forward to this!  :D

Feedzones are marked on the map here, they are in the most eventless flat sections on either side of the valley: Løbergsveien and Årstadveien.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #45 on: September 13, 2017, 22:16 »

#joker Joker Icopal (CT)
    #fixit Team FixIT.no (CT)
    #sparsor Team Sparebanken Sør (CT)
    #unox Uno-X Hydrogen Development Team (CT)

To boost the numbers, the five Norwegian CTs also 'qualified', and four of those will in fact line up. The only one giving the event a pass is #coop - is the Stavanger-Bergen rivalry so large that they'd voluntarily not race a world championship? Have they finished their season already? Or did they just not want to become a fig's leaf for the UCI by participating in this failing event?

Out these, only #joker has a decent squad for a TTT, but if it had been Bergen 2015 they would have had #uae Vegard Stake Laengen,  #astana Truls Korsæth and #jumbo Amund Grøndahl Jansen with them, and their good teamwork is always good for a Conti squad. Quite sure that vintage would have given some of the WT squads a scare!

The current #joker vintage has better climbers and better sprinters but maybe not the roleurs that featured in the 2015 vintage.

#coop dropout, I think Jensen wanted to save his firepower for the road race. The team doesn't have the depth to compare with the WT squads.

#fixit do it because they can, the team is without sponsors for next year and this is one of their last races.

#unox are mostly youngsters (they self-identify as a development squad) and they are probably doing it because...you know, racing with the pros in the World Championship is cool!  :D

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #46 on: September 13, 2017, 22:37 »
    I am not 100% sure they ever really moved the finish to Bryggen. Last year's Tour de Fjords and the Norwegian Championship a few years further back used it (for a criterium race which is part of the championships. At the time of the Tour des Fjords the understanding was that the finish would be at Bryggen, but perhaps some problems were identified. My speculation would be, since there has been nothing in the press about it, that it is due to public safety concerns and possibly also a concern for the world heritage site at Bryggen.
    When the route was presented, I remember it as finishing on Bryggen. And the Tour des Fjords stage of peloton-deroute and bus-on-racecourse infamy did finish there.

I get why they didn't put the Worlds finish there, though: There's simply not much room for infrastructure, podiums, and spectator stands up there, or not without destroying the charm of Bryggen. Better to pass it with 1 km to go and have the races finish in the 'modern' centre.

About that map ... I tried to retrace the route and come up with alternatives, e.g. combining Birkelundsbakken and Laksebakken (because that's what I do for fun) - but the part between Festplassen and the bridge across Damgårdssundet just seems to be impossible to map on RideWithGPS and/or other mapping tools.
    They appear to be using a tunnel underneath Universitet/Muséhagen and then go onto the 555? But how? No matter what I try, I can't get the site/program to follow the road(s) that the Worlds apparently use. :slow[1]
     1. By the way, I have a similar problem with the Arctic Race circuit in Narvik that apparently crosses the ore harbour facilities on a road/bridge/footpath that isn't on Google Maps nor OSM, and doesn't show on satellite images either :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 23:42 »
    (caution: numbers nerdery coming up!)

I've had a look at the men's road race entry list and tried to reverse-engineer a list of which countries will be starting with how many riders[1] - including which countries don't participate despite being qualified, and which countries do participate on a reallocated quota despite not being qualified:

Country Qualified Entered Starters
    Australia 9 14 9
    Belgium 9 14 9
    France 9 14 9
    Germany 9 14 9
    Italy 9 14 9
    Spain 9 14 9
    Colombia 9 13 8-9
    Great Britain 9 13 8-9
    Netherlands 9 13 8-9
    Norway 9 13 8-9
    Czech Republic 6 9 6
    Denmark 6 9 6
    Portugal 6 9 6
    Slovenia 6 9 6
    Switzerland 6 9 6
    USA 6 9 6
    Ireland 6 7 4-6
    Russia 6 7 4-6
    Slovakia 6 7 4-6
    Poland 6 6 3-6
    Austria 3 6 3
    Kazakhstan 3 6 3
    Belarus 3 5 3
    Eritrea 3 5 3
    Luxembourg 3 5 3
    New Zealand 3 5 3
    Estonia 3 4 2-3
    South Africa 3 3 3
    Ukraine 3 2 1-2
    Canada 3 0 0
    Latvia 1 4 2 a
    Argentina 1 2 1-2 f
    Japan 1 2 1-2 h
    Lithuania 1 2 1-2 d
    Morocco 1 2 1-2 b
    Sweden 1 2 1-2 j
    Venezuela 1 2 1-2 e
    Azerbaijan 1 1 1
    Costa Rica 1 1 1 g
    Romania 1 1 1 c
    Rwanda 1 1 1 i
    Algeria 1 0 0
    Brazil 1 0 0
    Croatia 1 0 0
    Ecuador 1 0 0
    Iran 1 0 0
    Rep. Korea 1 0 0
    PR China 1 0 0
    Tunisia 1 0 0
    Turkey 1 0 0
    Hong Kong 0 1 1

The table should be relatively self-explanatory. The exact rules for reallocation of unused quotas can be found here, this document also includes a table that correlates the number of starters with the maximum number of riders that nation may send in as entries (i.e., including reserves): A nation with 9 starters may enter 14 riders, one with 6 starters may enter 9, etc.

Since the UCI doesn't deign the public worthy of being privy to the various nations' quotas post-confirmatin-and-reallocation, I had to put in a range instead of a fixed number for some countries (e.g. 8-9 for Norway or 1-2 for Argentina) since I do not know if they entered fewer riders than they could, but still use their full quota, or if they don't use their full quota and therefore couldn't enter as many riders as they could if they did[2]. If the number in the second column (qualified) is the larger limit of the range (as for *co *uk *nl *no *ie *ru *sk *pl), we shall assume that the national team coach just didn't find enough riders worthy or willing, but did still confirm the maximum number of starters. If, however, the number in the second column is the smaller limit of the range (*ar *jp *lt *ma *ve), there are two possibilities: Either the country has entered two riders of whom only one will start, or the country had notified the UCI that they would accept extra places reallocated from countries who declined to use them, thus earned a second starting spot, but opted to still only enter two riders who will then (barring accident or injury) both start.[3]

With this caveat about my working method out of the way, I'll step into interpretative territory. Almost. First, we can see in the table that a number of nations didn't enter any riders at all despite being qualified - specifically, *ca *dz *br *hr *ec *ir *kr *cn *tn *tr, to a total of 12 unused places. These would be reallocated to countries ranked 51st and lower in the World Nations Ranking on 15 August, reaching down all the way to 63rd-ranked Burkina Faso, and in reality even further since not all countries might want to go to the Worlds after all (for various reasons). In fact, only one does want to go, and that's Hong Kong. *hk King Lok Cheung thus got an entry into the Worlds RR.

And now, interpretative territory, for good:
    I can deduct from the table that only one nation (*lv) has definitely entered more riders than they would be allowed to as per their qualified quota. I can also see that only one nation (*ua) has definitely entered fewer riders than they is their qualified quota. I therefore assume that all other nations with a smaller number of entries than their qualified quota would have allowed them to will make full use of their qualified quota - meaning that there was only one place to reallocate via this method (to nations placed 31st-50th), the one not used by Ukraine, and this place went to Latvia.

For a conclusion, I can only impress on all nations ranked below 30th that in the future, if they want to send someone to a world championship, they shoud eagerly confirm that they're willing to make use of otherwise unused spots.
    While it's a gamble for those in places 31-50 as there may not be so many places to redistribute here (you either go to Worlds with as many as you can, or you don't go at all[4], it's still a gamble that's worthwhile. It doesn't cost you anything, and it could double your number of starters, with all that that entails.
    For those ranked below 50th place, it's a no-brainer (provided they have a rider capable of racing the Worlds, and the money to send him there): There are 12 unused spots this year, and I expect the number to be somewhere in this area in the future as well. Only 1 of those spots was reallocated since there just weren't any takers for the rest, meaning that as long as you're ranked in the World Ranking, it almost doesn't matter where. If you notify the UCI that, yes, you'd take a reallocated quota for the Worlds, you can be very confident that you'll get one. If only they (or their federation) wanted to, riders from e.g. Mongolia, Finland, Burkina Faso, Namibia[5], Antigua & Barbuda, Kosovo, Thailand, Taiwan, the UAE, India, and the DR Congo could all have lined up in Bergen next week.
     1. because the UCI doesn't bother giving us that
     2. confused yet?
     3. if you're still not confused now, you have my utmost admiration
     4. do you hear me, Cycling Australia's women elite selectors!!! :fp
     5. I'm still me, right? ;)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9257
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 06:53 »
    thanks. According to Leadbelly's post above Canada does indeed plan to use the three starting spots though
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 08:40 »
    According to Leadbelly's post above Canada does indeed plan to use the three starting spots though
    Hm.
    I double-checked the rules:
    The enrolment of the federations’ riders shall reach the UCI at the latest within the following deadlines:
    - Road: Men’s Elite Races: eight days before the first race of the championship;
    "The first race" are the TTTs on the 17th, so "eight days before" was the 9th September.
    The entry list from the UCI website was updated 12th September.
    Canada isn't on there.

By my logic, that means they didn't enter anyone - and so can't start.

Of course, we don't know any of this for sure, because the UCI doesn't tell us who confirmed their quota, who didn't, who filed their enrolment, and who didn't - apparently that's proprietary information. :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1108
    « Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 08:55 »
    (caution: numbers nerdery coming up!)...

My favourite thing!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 18:25 »
    I think Jensen wanted to save his firepower for the road race.

Don't tell me he's going to be riding for himself too?!
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 21:18 »
    Don't tell me he's going to be riding for himself too?!

I'd like to see him in an early move, like Kristoff in the London Olympics. He's not a probable winner but someone that can mop up a decent result if the peloton never catches the break. With good weather that scenario is more unlikely and right now the forecast is partly cloudy, 14 degrees in mid-day and 0 rain until Saturday 23rd. We'll see about that Sunday but so far it doesn't look like Wellens weather.

In other news today, #orica boss Matt White says the TTT course looks very hard, or quite unusually hard. I guess it is the rolling terrain in the first half he has discovere (and Birkelundsbakken). #sky Team Sky landed today and their team consists of a bunch of guys that climb very well. My favorites, but what about #sunweb
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 837
    « Reply #53 on: September 15, 2017, 20:31 »
    thor hushovd welcomes us to Bergen

BRAVO!  CHAPEAU! BRAVO! APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE!
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 837
    « Reply #54 on: September 15, 2017, 20:35 »
    Some of you will know this answer. I have never watched a World's TTT before, but this one has me interested. The women and the men get the same course, right?

And this part seems a bit strange - we seem to have trade teams AND national teams? How are they doing that?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 21:10 »
    Some of you will know this answer. I have never watched a World's TTT before, but this one has me interested. The women and the men get the same course, right?
    Yes.

And this part seems a bit strange - we seem to have trade teams AND national teams? How are they doing that?
    No.
    TTT is for trade teams only.
    ITT & RR are for national teams only.

Yes, it's silly. They should reintroduce a WT one-day TTT event and get rid of this pointless exercise that fewer and fewer teams are actually interested in participating in.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #56 on: September 16, 2017, 05:12 »
    I was sure I posted this yesterday evening ..... I must be losing it. Thankfully a draft was saved.

*ie

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-cycling-world-road-championships/

Elite Men

Conor Dunne
    Dan Martin
    Ryan Mullen
    Nicolas Roche
    Damien Shaw
    Sean McKenna

TT: Nicolas Roche (Mullen opted out)

U23 Men

Mark Downey
    Daire Feely
    Darragh O’Mahony
    Adam Stenson
    Matthew Teggart

TT: Michael O’Loughlin and Mark Downey

Junior Men

Luke Smith
    Ben Walsh
    PJ Doogan

TT: Ben Walsh and Xeno Young

Elite Women

Lydia Boylan

TT: Eileen Burns
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #57 on: September 16, 2017, 10:22 »
    Ooh, barriers!
    Money, money, money ...
    There just aren't that many of the L barriers around, and when you simply say "we need barriers to block off X km of race parcours", they will bring what they have - which is the inverted Y in 98% of the cases.

They simply didn't bother to think of rider safety. And why should they, it's only the most important thing in the whole sport.

I was downtown last night, and I have to revise my impression a little: previously I have been reporting from locations outside the city centre, in these locations there are only inverted-Y barriers, and literally, there are miles of them. However, yesterday I got to see the finish and the last 500 meters (possibly more) there are actually L-barriers all the way. A quite good prioritization of the resources I'll say.  :cool

(This is the final 150 meters, from the Bybanen tracks to the finish line).

The finishing straight isn't very long (some 300 meters) and there's a quite wide 90 degree turn leading into it and a little rise in the terrain towards ~200 m and then downhill to flat at the finish line. Normally, the norwegians would order a slight uphill all the way to the finish line so it will be interesting to see what comes out of this if there is ever a sprint finish here (many teams seem to leave the best sprinters at home). It would favor a high top speed sprinter if not the accelration out of the 90 degree turn up the little uphill turns out to be decisive. Caleb Ewan might be a good card to bring to the sprint.

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #58 on: September 16, 2017, 11:07 »
    I see most TTT teams with disc wheels on the rear. The choice of equipment can be important on a windy day across the Askøy bridge, one of the most windy places in the city and crosswinds only (topography squeezes the wind past there just like the swift flowing water under it).

There are no expectations of strong wind tomorrow but we've had it every day this week so far so....

Weather forecast still looks good most of the week, but uncertainy high (red tag) for some days - it is possible we get the leftover humidity from hurricane Jose flowing in and then it wll not look like this...)

EDIT: here's a video of Astana on that bridge right now...no wind!

https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/908996585551536128

(tweet was removed then added again by Astana(?) for some reason?)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #59 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26 »
    https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/908998799418372096

They took a wrong turn and just kept going this isn't the TTT course  :D
    Katusha got it wrong twice yesterday  :lol
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks