collapse

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 1739
  • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
This is Front Page Material!...
« on: October 05, 2014, 13:53 »
...Or well this thread isn't, but I figured that it might be nice to have a thread where sugestions on what should be on the VR front page could be made.

Also in the worlds slowest reply ever  :S

The problem tends to be that the layout is split into different sections with some of them being updated more frequently. For example, the races section on the left tends to be up to date at all times and similarly the discussion threads on the right. However, there is also for example a News/Site News section which the Quizzes comes under which doesn't have that much in the way of new threads to feature on the frontpage and therefore those are not updated with news threads and the old ones are left up.

Of course if there any threads which you feel are important and deserve attention, feel free to let one of the staff here know and they can put it up on the frontpage

So thanks a lot for pointing it out and that is something we will look into ensuring that all sections are updated and if necessary getting rid or cutting down on some unnecessary categories.

If anybody could lineout exactly what the 6 categories on the front page is it would be great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now though could we have 'The 18th WT team' be thread 1 in the 3rd column. Maybe then the Iglinsky thread can be second. For News section I'm not sure what should replace 2nd story, maybe the UCI road map thread?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5469
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    Re: This is Front Page Material!...
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 21:50 »
    Couldn't the front page just update automatically to reflect what threads people are posting in (I'm assuming currently a mod or someone has to manually change stuff) and maybe even for some sections just show the new post rather than the first post in the thread?

Six boxes of:

Road Races - Il Lombardia (this section would be kept as the first post of each thread probably)
    Men's Road Cycling - currently my post on Wackermann etc in "Transfers/Rumours"
    Women's Road Cycling - currently about Wiggle Honda
    Darkside - Flo's reply to "Dan MArtin: The Verdict"
    Games - Havetts in "Official Prediction"
    ????? - saved for worlds? vuelta? book reviews? interviews?

Might look a bit messy at times if a post was very short or had pictures etc, but would reflect whats going on I guess for someone visiting the site.

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6256
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 22:22 »
    Couldn't the front page just update automatically to reflect what threads people are posting in (I'm assuming currently a mod or someone has to manually change stuff) and maybe even for some sections just show the new post rather than the first post in the thread?
    A good idea in theory - indeed it is now done manually.

Might look a bit messy at times if a post was very short or had pictures etc, but would reflect whats going on I guess for someone visiting the site.
    However, one reason it's done manually is that the post that's 'previewed' needs to conform to certain parameters - otherwise it looks REALLY messy. Page-wrecking messy.

I'm not the authority on these technical matters (that's Dim), but as far as I understand an auto-update of the front page isn't viable at the moment.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 22:49 »

Six boxes of:

Yes, essentially what Fus said.

Once again Dim is responsible for the coding and technical aspects. However, the coding and all is different for the frontpage. For example, tables will not show up in the frontpage. Due to the limited Size Ratio, pictures will very frequently distort the page and of course as you mention many posts may be too short, or links may be posted which are too long and elongate the boxes, just to name a few points where it could all go horrible wrong.  ;)

So yes it does have to be done manually I am afraid and yes sometimes Staff do fall behind and don't update as much as we should. As many may have noticed Dim hasn't been on here as frequently as he once was, but when he does have the time I am sure he will take all feedback and look into how to make it as user friendly and attractive and up to date as possible.  :)

But i like the idea of doing it via posts, rather than threads. That definitely could be looked into I have the feeling..

However, I very much like DB Coops idea of using this thread. That way if Staff are behind and haven't updated the frontpage or there is a thread which should be there, then simply post a note about it here if you want and we will get round to it asap.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 13:50 by froome19, Reason: italicised »
    RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1739
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 16:39 »
    Off-season guessing game to front page in section games for the off-season maybe.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5469
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:14 »
    Rider and Race Awards?

2015 Velorooms Collective CQ Team?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:36 »
    Tour of Rwanda

And can we get ride of the JV Q&A please old news, tired and done bit like the person in real life  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2623
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 14:14 »
    khaos/kitchen slideshow :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 16:09 »
    How technically feasible is it to have the latest post in a thread on the front page, rather than post 1?

For example, the Team Sponsorship thread - which has page after page of useful news and witty insights (of course) - still shows up on the front page with Dim's opening news about the demise of Cannondale.

So, a visitor might, at a glance, be forgiven for thinking the thread has been dead since then.
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 18:29 »
    SiD's framebuilding thread is worthy of front page.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon