collapse

froome19

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 2029
  • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
Tubeless Tires!!
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:49 »
Simply, I have no idea where to start with these..

The main problem I have is inflating them.

Do I use a CO2 Cartridge or a normal pump? It is probably better to use a Co2 Cartridge with its higher pressure, but..

And I have tried applying sealant, but every time I then try to inflate the tire the sealant starts bubbling and the air escapes? So I am unsure how to exactly apply the sealant in the correct manner..

Tubeless Road Tires don't seem to be too popular around these parts and I have found a dearth of information on them, so does anyone have anything at all to offer?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Tubeless Tires!!
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:51 »
    Simples

don't bother  :D
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 13:30 »
    This might help

Might not ofc

• ReplyReply

• Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 19:24 »
    Simply, I have no idea where to start with these..

The main problem I have is inflating them.

Do I use a CO2 Cartridge or a normal pump? It is probably better to use a Co2 Cartridge with its higher pressure, but..

And I have tried applying sealant, but every time I then try to inflate the tire the sealant starts bubbling and the air escapes? So I am unsure how to exactly apply the sealant in the correct manner..

Tubeless Road Tires don't seem to be too popular around these parts and I have found a dearth of information on them, so does anyone have anything at all to offer?

Tubeless road tires are problem which does not exist :D
    Ok, do you have tubeless rim as well and valve? If not it will not work.
    If yes use of air compressor sometimes help.
    Tubeless road rolling nice but just pain in the ass if you ask me, sealent willnever work on high pressure and you still need to have spare tube, not to mention all mess to taking them off. I quit with those sh*t.
    Let me know anything will help as much I can do! :)

Those are tubular videos JSG.
  • ReplyReply
  • Reverend Fred Saves!!

42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    « Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38 »
    Save tubeless for the MTBs. Do yourself a favour and go for tubulars
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:47 »
    Wow, I have to admit I'd never even heard of these. For me the world only consisted of clinchers or tub(ular)s, the latter of which I thought was what was being talked about in the OP.

So what's wrong with using a track pump to inflate them?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Anthony Moan

• Ahab the Arab
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 889
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 20:26 »
    Wow, I have to admit I'd never even heard of these. For me the world only consisted of clinchers or tub(ular)s, the latter of which I thought was what was being talked about in the OP.

So what's wrong with using a track pump to inflate them?
    Nothing, sometimes works sometimes not, you need like fast air coming and this thing allow high enough pressure to quickly inflate your tire, track pump sometimes do not flow enough air to seat the bead of a tire.

When nothing works I send tire to fellow Philppino mechanic :D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 18:34 »
    Meh...

In the end I just transfered to standard tires (see other thread) and they are going swimmingly well.
    Not sure why I ever persisted with these in the first place  :S
  • ReplyReply

• kwikki

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 29
    « Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 08:11 »
    Can I ask what brand tyres and rims you were using?

I bought a tubeless ready bike in September and swapped the tyres over after a month. I was worried as I'd heard of issues but actually the whole process was really easy. I used a track pump and both tyres went on first time.  I've used them all winter, 100+miles per week commuting plus the occasional audax....no issues at all and no worries about having to stop and deal with punctures in cold rainy weather (or at all).

Schwalbe have redesigned their One tubeless and it is now lighter. I've bought some but not fitted them yet. Reports from others are really good.

As to the whole debate about the point of them, the point is two fold. Punctures self repair and you don't get pinch flats so you can run lower pressures. This is great for UK roads which are currently in really bad condition.

To me, they are a no brainer for a winter bike, no question. Also an audax bike where a puncture at midnight when you are knackered is not appealing. I'd also like to convert the fixed gear to tubeless because punctures on that are a bit more of a pain.

Of course, on a race bike it's a different issue. I don't think tubeless can compete for lightness yet.
  • ReplyReply

•