collapse

benotti69

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 215
Time to end the Olympics in its current state
« on: May 09, 2012, 18:26 »
Greece still paying for its Olympics 8 years later is absolutely crazy?

I think it is time the games ended in its current state of bankrupting economies all for the sponsors (and IOC pockets) disguised as sporting excellence.

The amount of money squandered and misused in the name of the events is crazy.

I'll be avoiding watching 99% of it.
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    I agree that Greece should not have considered hosting the games at the time they did.  However, I think that it is more about the hosts themselves than it is about the event.  Sydney hosted the Olympics without many ongoing issues, Melbourne got great sporting infrastructure for us to use after the Commonwealth Games.  However, meanwhile, the stories that came out of the Indian Commonwealth games are absurd.

What needs to be more carefully managed is the question of the country's capacity to put on the event without taking on hardship.  If they can do that, then why not?
  • ReplyReply
  • About Masters Club racing:
    ".. if I can't double the petrol money, I'm headin over the mountains instead" - Michael Fox, Team SAS

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2459
    I love the Olympics. It's just a great time to watch sports, and particularly the only time when so many different kinds of sports are all the focus of attention on TV.

As long as there's cities and nations willing to host them, I don't see the problem. Greece is one particular example, and since the Greek government doesn't seem to have been doing anything right in the last decade, I don't know how representative that example is. I'd think cities like Sydney and Beijing mostly profited from being hosts? And, despite a lot of criticism from the English, I think that in London, too, the gains outweigh the costs.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    The Olympics are just an excuse these days

Major cities can do massive changes to the way sections of the Cities are designed and the - it is just for the Olympics means people do not complain

Look at the way Sydney and London and for that matter Melb for the Comm games were able to do major works and areas which were not used.

Olympics are not about the sport for the host city any more
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 483
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    UK is in a double recession isn't it? How's that a good economic climate to host an Olympic Games?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

Martin318is

• Domestique
    • Liked: 162
    • Less interesting than he seems on paper
    UK is in a double recession isn't it? How's that a good economic climate to host an Olympic Games?

a little unfair - they were hardly this screwed up at the time that they actually won the bid.  In fact, any external assessment would have said that the UK were perfectly able to fund the games at that time.  The bit that is frustrating is that a retarded monkey would have been able to see that Greece were going to hurt themselves if they took on the games.

Basically, the IOC needs at least as much of an overhall as the UCI - but, like the Tour de France, the Olympics is an incredible event that needs to live on.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10812
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    a little unfair - they were hardly this screwed up at the time that they actually won the bid.  In fact, any external assessment would have said that the UK were perfectly able to fund the games at that time.  The bit that is frustrating is that a retarded monkey would have been able to see that Greece were going to hurt themselves if they took on the games.

Basically, the IOC needs at least as much of an overhall as the UCI - but, like the Tour de France, the Olympics is an incredible event that needs to live on.

FIFA the list goes on
  • ReplyReply

• ram

One can’t blame the IOC for the Greek economy being a shambles. All the bids for the Olympics are govt approved after all, it is the responsibility of the govt to make sure that the economy is in a position to recuperate the costs over the long run. The Greeks weren’t in such a position and therefore, shouldn’t have been hosting the games. After all, most of the stadia do become white elephants post the games.

A country like India, on the other hand, should be in a position to host games pretty comfortably.  It was a damn shame that the Organising Committee of the CWG was a crook (he's in and out of jail nowadays), and it was also clear that India could organize games well enough if the bent lot wanted it to. The head of the Organising committee did pretty well with regards to the Commonwealth Youth games just a year before the main games, and it definitely wasn’t a coincidence that they took place in his home constituency. I say this never having supported India's CWG bid.

Where does the IOC become a muppet organization? That’s when they have a company like Dow chemicals as their sponsors, and the list won't stop if the discrepencies are listed, but this was the most glaring one in this year's games.

It’s dodgy as hell is the IOC, but the Greek predicament is their own doing by taking advantage of a faulty system where they could borrow at the rates completely unsuitable for their economy.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    For sure the IOC is not to blame directly, but they don't give a flying flip about the countries. They operate a hit and run operation every 4 years, like FIFA.

I suppose the real culprits are the politicians that fund the bids with no proper infrastructure capable of hosting and over spending countries budgets to host and leave the countries in situations similar to that of Greece.

But the magnitude of the games including the outrageous demands means that only the very rich or very corrupt will host the games.
  • ReplyReply

• ram

That begs the question, has it ever been a developing nation game? The question is referring to the hosting of the Olympics, and not the sports themselves. Looking at the list of Olympic hosts right from the start, there really aren’t many developing nations involved in it. It is only a recent trend to reach out to such markets. So too the case with other multi sport tournaments like the Commonwealth games, not many developing nations hosting there.

I'd say it’s a case of meeting greed and demands. The Greeks got the balance well wrong and are struggling now as a result of it, others handled it in a much better manner. Their bid being accepted was the mistake the IOC made. The bid being made, and all the nonsense that ensued really does fall at the Greek government's door.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    I think the Olympics has always been a good idea. However, I find it less credible that it has always been so cripplingly expensive.

It is the level of (infra)structural change required by the event holder that astonishes me. Perhaps this is a generation thing but I'm pretty sure we started to see this from Barcelona '92. Koreans may have 'grown up' a bit as a result of the Seoul Olympiad in 1988, but there were few lingering signs of the Olympics when I lived there over a decade later (indeed, they were of course more interested in the upcoming World Cup football, shared in 2002 with Japan).

It's difficult now to imagine Barcelona as the decayed, dilapidated city fit for the knackers' yard that it once was, after half a century of near-criminal neglect by a Franco regime, probably out of revenge for Catalan resistance during the Civil War.

Yet all that money was found, presumably much of it flowing from FDI, to transform the whole place and since then Barcelona has sustained the upward curve to an increasingly nauseating extent, there being less and less interest in maintaining the more genteel or ancient quarters as all the steel and glass goes up elsewhere.

With Beijing, the enormous price included a strong cultural aspect and this was probably a first in Olympic history: a city whose public behaviour also required a radical overhaul (in part by coercion, naturally). Fundamentally, it was all a bit much - the run-up was arguably bigger than the Beijing Olympics itself as the press ran around with their new free movement passes soaking it all up and spilling oceans of ink. It was as much an expensive public dialogue about modern China as a sporting event, and when you read that they're firing missiles into clouds to stop inconvenient rainfall, you know something has crossed over.  :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Auscyclefan

• Future PM of Australia
    • Domestique
    • Liked: 36
    • Feel my wrath
    Greece still paying for its Olympics 8 years later is absolutely crazy?

I think it is time the games ended in its current state of bankrupting economies all for the sponsors (and IOC pockets) disguised as sporting excellence.

The amount of money squandered and misused in the name of the events is crazy.

I'll be avoiding watching 99% of it.
    Greece's Government chose to bid for it. Don't kill off the Olympics because of a Government's decision. It also doesn't bankrupt all country's economies who hold the event as it often is very good for tourism and other industries inside the host nation. Also, people are not forced to go to the events yet people still go and spend their money and support the event.

I'm all for the Olympics
  • ReplyReply
  • - Australia's greatest sporting moment

benotti69

• Road Captain
    Greece's Government chose to bid for it. Don't kill off the Olympics because of a Government's decision. It also doesn't bankrupt all country's economies who hold the event as it often is very good for tourism and other industries inside the host nation. Also, people are not forced to go to the events yet people still go and spend their money and support the event.

I'm all for the Olympics

Kill the Olympics, its fans and those who support such an abomination  O0
  • ReplyReply

•