collapse

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1968
  • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
Re: The Womens Hour
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 23:29 »
I'm going to request a translation here, because I've honestly know idea what that means.  :S

The Revolution Series is a series of track racing meetings, which were at the London Velodrome on Friday evening and two sessions on Saturday, already scheduled before Sarah Storey and Alex Dowsett (hence Alex D) scheduled their hour record attempts on Saturday afternoon and Friday evening respectively.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 23:45 »
    The Revolution Series is a series of track racing meetings, which were at the London Velodrome on Friday evening and two sessions on Saturday, already scheduled before Sarah Storey and Alex Dowsett (hence Alex D) scheduled their hour record attempts on Saturday afternoon and Friday evening respectively.
    Thanks. That explains a few things.  :)

I had already forgotten that Dowsett had been forced to reschedule from that date.

But I still don't see why these events couldn't be planned for later in the day, so as not to directly conflict with other races. Especially at this time of year, when finishing times of those races can be reasonably estimated. On two occasions now, we've had an Hour attempt align almost perfectly with the final 20 to 30km of another race. When it's that close, surely they could just wait for one to finish?
  • ReplyReply

• Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1968
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 07:18 »
    There was already a 5 1/2 hour long evening event planned on Saturday, tickets probably sold before Storey announced her attempt.  Later time incompatible with that.  They could, I suppose, have had her event as the last part of the afternoon programme, but I don't know if riders in the later events needed the recovery time.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10759
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 07:21 »
    Thanks. That explains a few things.  :)

I had already forgotten that Dowsett had been forced to reschedule from that date.

But I still don't see why these events couldn't be planned for later in the day, so as not to directly conflict with other races. Especially at this time of year, when finishing times of those races can be reasonably estimated. On two occasions now, we've had an Hour attempt align almost perfectly with the final 20 to 30km of another race. When it's that close, surely they could just wait for one to finish?

Agree DB and most do

But I think alot of Womens cycling people just think Like the voice that spoke To costner

If you build they will come - complete lack of forward thinking and planning -  I would have timed the last 45 min to come direct after Omloop - the perfect lead in.

Event finishes and hang on more cycling ok will watch

Hmm the Hour

hmm a girl

ok this is cool

flip look at the hurt she put on herself

hmmm wonder what happened at the womens Omloop .... wow sounds like a good race those 2 Dutch girls really road well, who is this Anna Girl again, hmmmGoogle  hmm that´s right she was the one who smashed herself for Vos at Worlds a few years ago, remember that

Better watch some more womens stuff these girls are great old school lay down the hurt cycling , ok who should I follow on twitter

a new fan of womens cycling

or something like that....

Now we get the UCI, look we had more womens cycling on TV ( BBC red for those in GB only , on in the middle of the day mind and on Youtube )

Doesn´t matter the highlights are so boring and the main commentator only knows how to pronounce name of the low land riders and that is it , not a thing more

If we build it that will come

Nope - people need to start thinking and put their brains in gear   
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 297
    « Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 10:26 »
    Sorry - I just meany that the UCI weren't to blame - Dowsett and Storey were both added as extra attractions around the pre-planned London Revolution track meet - I guess it made sense in that context for them (personally and financially) regardless of clashes with other events.  So in this instance no black mark for UCI

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 22:17 »
    So in this instance no black mark for UCI
    I'm far from an anti-Cookson crusader, but I'm not willing to let him off the hook quite so easily. He is the one who was so gleefully celebrating the return of the Hour, and encouraging others (both fans and riders)  to embrace it. If wide-spread support of these attempts is what he is hoping for, then they, the UCI, need to approach it more intelligently.

I will humbly submit than I am the perfect audience member for this. Only a short time ago I considered the whole thing to be somewhat of a farce, and hardly worthy of anyone's attention. But I've been converted. The Hour has its own inherent qualities that I fully support at the moment. But if they make it increasingly difficult for even someone like me to follow, then I've no idea just who they think is going to embrace this in terms of the potential audience.

The Hour Record transcends track cycling, and has the potential to attract a much larger audience than track cycling ever will. The flip side of that, is that drawing attention to the Hour will inevitably, if even slightly, attract new fans to the world of the velodrome. If executed correctly, it could, and should, be a win-win for both sides of the sport—road and track. Does any other event have the potential to bridge the two?

With that in mind, I would suggest that the UCI proceed down this path with the utmost care and attention to detail.

@BrianCooksonUCI #UCIHourRecord
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 22:33 »
    One more point to add...

Time is of the essence. The UCI needs to embrace a sense of urgency when it comes to getting this right. The live coverage needs to be consistent, and of the highest quality; the timing of the event needs to be sensible in terms of attracting the highest possible number of viewers; and the god damn clocks need to be working.  :angry

There are three main components to a successful Hour attempt:
    A cyclist
    A velodrome
    A clock

That's pretty much it. It's not rocket science, or even cycling science. Two out of three is not going to cut it for this particular endeavor.

But why the sense of urgency? Because once the record is convincingly shattered, it will be quite a feat to generate much interest at all unless another, very serious, contender steps up to the stage. The time is now to successfully generate interest in the Hour, and to reap the potential benefits that any such interest may provide.

The clock is ticking...
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 11:24 »
    Hoisting her bike, smiling and walking around immediately afterward. Not the soul-destroying image that the Hour is so often associated with, but certainly an impressive ride.

So who was it that she was calling out as "a jerk" in her post-ride interview? Someone who said she would "never be anything useful."

I must confess, until I heard the live announcers, I had always read her name as "Birdie."  :-x  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #48 on: January 24, 2016, 15:20 »
    Having know of Bridie for I don´t know 10 years or more this write is really odd

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/bridie-odonnell-takes-uci-world-hour-record-with-46-882-kilometres/

seems someone Googled a little and went from there with the background
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #49 on: January 24, 2016, 16:47 »
    Having know of Bridie for I don´t know 10 years or more this write is really odd

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/01/bridie-odonnell-takes-uci-world-hour-record-with-46-882-kilometres/

seems someone Googled a little and went from there with the background
    I don't know much about Bridie ... can you point out what you find odd?
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #50 on: January 24, 2016, 16:53 »
    I don't know much about Bridie ... can you point out what you find odd?

Just the focus on the Dr part she came to Europe for a while to race is a hard arse
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #51 on: January 24, 2016, 18:58 »
    Just the focus on the Dr part she came to Europe for a while to race is a hard arse
    Yes, I did find it a bit weird that everyone focuses on her profession and treats her cycling career almost as an afterthought.
    There was a similar article from DR Sporten (or TV2) with the title "Clean cut: Surgeon beats women's hour record".

She rode for teams in Europe for a couple of years. Granted, it's a while back - but she did place 7th in the Chrono des Nations in 2013, so less than 2.5 years ago, is still in the top of the Aussie ITT champs (at 40+ years of age, and while also working as a doctor!) and not far from the 'pro' women.

Putting so much focus on her being a doctor devalues the Women's Hour, in a way: "Some 41-year old Aussie doctor beat the current record, can't have been that hard." That completely misses the fact that she could be competitive in a TT (such as Rio) if she were considered for selection ... and, yes, is also a doctor.

Nobody would ever write a headline like "Economics PhD[1] places 7th in Tour Down Under" or, back in 2013, "37-year old engineer[2] Italian ITT champion".
    Value the feat of Bridie O'Donnell (and any other cyclist, male or female) for its athletic performance. If the rider in question also happens to have a 'real' education and possibly even works in the field next to their cycling career - all the better.

Bridie didn't get the Hour Record because she's a surgeon - she did it because she trained her ass off, every day, for many, many months beforehand, and gave it her all on the day that mattered. And all that while working as a surgeon.

Go Bridie, more power to you. :pray
     1. Domenico Pozzovivo
     2. Marco Pinotti
  • ReplyReply

• LID

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 16
    « Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 19:25 »
    Well, as far as I am concerned that makes her achievement even more valuable. It is up to the others to prove the final result isn't that impressive by beating it.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #53 on: January 24, 2016, 19:30 »
    Well, as far as I am concerned that makes her achievement even more valuable. It is up to the others to prove the final result isn't that impressive by beating it.
    Oh, of course, no doubt about that.

But some headlines make it look as if "some doctor" just waltzed into the velodrome with her bike and beat the women's hour record - when nothing could be further from the truth.

And welcome to Velorooms! :welcome
    Take a look around; and if you want to, you can introduce yourself in more detail here.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 15:04 »
    Ellen van Dijk has just told Ella that she is looking at the hour later in 2016

:win
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 15:09 »
    And Evie Stevens mentioned it as well

:win :win
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #56 on: January 30, 2016, 02:48 »
    And Evie Stevens mentioned it as well
    She is, by far, one of the most interesting people to me in all of cycling. I've always  found her story to be so intriguing.

The Hour? That would be fun to follow if she does take it on.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 674
    « Reply #57 on: January 30, 2016, 08:04 »
    One thing that interests me is that the record is starting to nudge towards the 30 mile mark.

Perhaps if there were some clever marketing people who could come up with a clever slogan and make it into a bit of a competition to see who could be the first to break the 30 mile barrier and with some of those now showing interest it looks like that barrier would be broken soon.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 16:52 »
    Perhaps if there were some clever marketing people who could come up with a clever slogan
    Dude, this is cycling you're talking about. :P
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    « Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 17:35 »
    Game on!  :cool

And much sooner than I had expected.

USA Cycling confirms Evelyn Stevens to take on world hour record

The 32-year-old American will make the attempt on February 27 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
    Stevens’ coach, Neal Henderson, told Ella CyclingTips that in her hour record attempt, Stevens aims to not only break the 46.882 kilometres mark set by O’Donnell but also target the all-time distance record, which was set by Jeannie Longo in 1996 using the now banned “Superman” position. Longo’s record stands at 48.159 kilometer

Stevens’ attempt will take place on February 27th and we will host the live stream of the attempt right here on Ella.

• ReplyReply

•