collapse

Poll

Or which side do you get on your bike...

You may only select up to 3 options.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3363
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
How do you mount? Yes, bizarre, but this came to me recently.

I noticed that I always mount the bike from the left, right leg first, and if i go to get on the bike from the other side I will automatically swap sides before mounting..

Why? I dont know..

So i decided to try mounting from the right..  I couldnt actually get my brain to work out how to do it, it kept wanting to lift the right leg first...

I fell over..

Am I alone?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:01 by L'arri, Reason: That title was bugging me a bit, sorry ;) »

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3217
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Re: Which side does sir dress?
    « Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 16:19 »
    I am your mirror image, Dim.

I have to lead with my left leg. I have to start my pedal strokes with my left leg - when I stop, I unclip only my right foot to put down.

One time I forgot to unclip, realised I was naturally leaning right, tried to counterbalance myself but couldn't get my left foot unclipped either. I fell over, painfully landing on my keys in my jersey pocket, and looked up to see the cyclist I had whooshed by as she gently caught me up again.

I also tend to dress to the left, since you asked.  :P
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10467
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    I mount from whatever side

but always have left foot clipped in to start or unclip right 1st to stop
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    Left would be my choice now that I think about it, but if you mount it on a road of cause you go right[1].
     1. For places where you drive on the right side of the road
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    That is probably why i always mount from the left, its the natural from pavement to bike..
    What i dont get is why doing it from the other side is so complicated for me (And apparently others too)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3752
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    From left, right leg first

unclip left to stop
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 83
    I think it was Paul Fournel in  'Need for Bike' who once realised that he always mounted the bike from one side, and determined that from that point he was pointedly going to do it from the other side for the rest of his life.

Whilst I never used to consider what side of the bike to get on...I get on the bike from the right but I can manage the other way - I can also start from either pedal. (mostly because, since reading the above book I thought I would be stupid not to be able to do both).

• ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1730
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    That is probably why i always mount from the left, its the natural from pavement to bike..
    What i dont get is why doing it from the other side is so complicated for me (And apparently others too)

I mean there is so many ways to get on a bike though isn't there, I mean could you not either lift your far side leg over the top tube or instead simply swing it around the back.

Either way there is ever so many things that can go wrong while mounting a bike, I once saw a guy mount a locked bike only to stationary crash very slow and embarrassingly  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8695
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013

not eligible I guess? :slow

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5665
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013

unclip left to stop
    This exactly. Always mounting from the left, always.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2454
    Left, but can do right. Don't have click pedals though, so different story for me.

Also WTF.
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012

unclip left to stop

+1.

Could be because I'm left-handed, I don't know.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Could be because I'm left-handed, I don't know.
    That's one thing I've been wondering lately: Playing football, I'm left-footed, but I write right-handedly. I mount my bike from the left, and always put the left foot down.
    Could it be that I used to be left-handed and was re-trained at so early an age that I don't remember it?
  • ReplyReply

• Havetts

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1056
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016Doper Shoot Out 2013

unclip left to stop

Another +1. Normal bike or my old "road"bike, doesnt really matter, always this.
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2029
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    I have a side..

Bu I am not sure which one.
    When I try and note which side I am mounting from, I have a feeling I may alternate and do it back to front.
    It just doesn't feel natural when I am concentrating too hard on which side to come from.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    I have a side..

Bu I am not sure which one.

:fp
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10467
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    No crosses here it seems

no rear mounters

:lol
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2588
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    I'm really not so good at mounting :shh  but I have a cute way of getting off  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • I wish I was in Tijuana
    eating barbequed iguana

Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Reigning Giro Prediction ChampVelorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    No crosses here it seems

no rear mounters

crosses? rear mounters? :S
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    No crosses here it seems

no rear mounters

not totally sure what you mean, but im leg over back wheel, mount from behind kinda guy..

Certainly not a step through, and ive no idea how i would get my leg over the top tube anyway
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    not totally sure what you mean, but im leg over back wheel, mount from behind kinda guy..

Certainly not a step through, and ive no idea how i would get my leg over the top tube anyway

Step through on my normal bike

leg over back wheel on race bike

people say I have a funny way of getting on my road bike
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    people say I have a funny way of getting on my road bike

People say I'm the life of the party. Because I tell a joke or two.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    I have thought about this, but I've no rational explanation as to why I can ONLY mount from the left side of the bike.

Watch any cyclocross race as riders approach a barrier. Don't they generally ALL mount and dismount from the left? :slow

I'll have to pull up some footage to see if this is, in fact, true or not (but I haven't the time right now). But doing it CX style only amplifies the issue.  Try mounting and dismounting from a running start. If I were to try that from the right side (chain side)... :o

No way, José.

And I'm right-handed FWIW. And probably more ambidextrous than most, due to the fact that I've spent most of my drumming life trying to coordinate each side of my body to the other.  :P
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    leg over back wheel, mount from behind
    Is there any other way of mounting a bike? :S

When riding a bike without a top tube (the style search posted) I may occasionally step through. But that's very rare indeed.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Now that I've been forced to think about it a bit, I suppose the reason that I swing my right leg over the frame is because being right-handed  (and therefore right-footed), that's the side has possess the most coordination. The left leg only needs to maintain stability, but the swinging  leg (my right) requires a bit more control.

My two cents on the matter.

I have also noticed though, that when descending in a tuck, I ALWAYS have to have my left leg forward, with the crank arm in the horizontal position, right foot in the rear horizontal position. It just doesn't feel safe to reverse that alignment. I could never figure out why that was.

Hip alignment issues? I've no idea.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331
    Will do my best to confuse the issue ...

Mainly from the left - I have spent time racing cross, so there's a bit of an explanation for that ... however, given that we ride/drive on the right, often to the right as well ...

With roadie, often swing the leg over the bars when getting off - stems (hah, bad pun!!!) from a training buddy many years back who pointed out the obvious: bars are lower than seat. Less height to get the leg over can be an advantage when they're in a jelly like state ...

Mountain bike - depends on which side is uphill ... dismounts are often in random directions, depending on whether they are planned or unplanned ...   :S :S

Is that clearer???   :D
  • ReplyReply

• krabkakes

• Artes, Scientia, Veritas.
    • Multiple World Champion
    • Liked: 2588
    • Donald J Krabkakes
    • Awards: Dish of the Year 2017KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding ContentBest member of staff in live broadcast 2012Best Youtube clip 2012
    Mounting on left is a hold over from mounting horses. never mount horse from right. will have to ask TT Tony how he mounts camel  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    I have also noticed though, that when descending in a tuck, I ALWAYS have to have my left leg forward, with the crank arm in the horizontal position, right foot in the rear horizontal position. It just doesn't feel safe to reverse that alignment. I could never figure out why that was.

me Too :o

With roadie, often swing the leg over the bars when getting off - stems (hah, bad pun!!!) from a training buddy many years back who pointed out the obvious: bars are lower than seat.

This is frankly the most ridiculous thing i have ever read on the internet (or visualised) :fp

You get off by lifting your leg over the bars.. just... wtf... on every level..
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms

Kiwirider

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 331

This is frankly the most ridiculous thing i have ever read on the internet (or visualised) :fp

You get off by lifting your leg over the bars.. just... wtf... on every level..

Wadda ya mean?? This is old school plus:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-84936022/stock-vector-penny-farthing-or-high-wheel-bicycle-showing-how-to-dismount-the-bicycle-by-raising-a-leg-over-the.html

:P

BTW - you're lucky that you got such a sensible and "family oriented" answer ... Given the environment where I work, anything about which side you mount is more likely to get answers in terms of on top or underneath (or other options that we just wont go anywhere near) rather than left or right!!!  :angel
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Tour de Romandie by AG
    [Today at 00:35]

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by Josedin
    [Today at 00:27]

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by del1962
    [Today at 00:18]

Re: Tour de Romandie by search
    [April 30, 2017, 21:42]

Re: Tour de Romandie by t-72