collapse

Poll

Or which side do you get on your bike...

You may only select up to 3 options.

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 3364
    • Velorooms
  • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
You ride a penny farthing? Harcore :o
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1904
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    Watch any cyclocross race as riders approach a barrier. Don't they generally ALL mount and dismount from the left? :slow

Well, with minimal effort, this is the first thing I came across (pun/no-pun)

• ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    I have also noticed though, that when descending in a tuck, I ALWAYS have to have my left leg forward, with the crank arm in the horizontal position, right foot in the rear horizontal position. It just doesn't feel safe to reverse that alignment. I could never figure out why that was.
    Having given this a moments thought now—and as I stare at my bike—it very likely has to do with intuitively countering the rear weight of the right-side drivetrain. A diagonal offset perhaps?

I've only ever thought about this as it's happening, and then quickly forget about it afterwards.

Until now.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    That's one thing I've been wondering lately: Playing football, I'm left-footed, but I write right-handedly. I mount my bike from the left, and always put the left foot down.

Me too! I find that - in general - below the waist my left side dominates and above the waist my right side. Except that I use a soup spoon with my left hand, when I would be expected to use my right.

Could it be that I used to be left-handed and was re-trained at so early an age that I don't remember it?

I'd like to think I didn't grow up in an era where "re-training" left-handed children wasn't a thing...
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6166
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I'd like to think I didn't grow up in an era where "re-training" left-handed children wasn't a thing...
    So do I. Just considering all possibilities.

Also, I was about to ask what on earth a soap spoon was - then I realised I had misread. :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1737
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    So do I. Just considering all possibilities.

Also, I was about to ask what on earth a soap spoon was - then I realised I had misread. :lol

Probably just a result of simply picking up the pen the same way as everybody else, I suppose if one is only moderately left handed it is easier to simply learn how to use the right hand instead of buying left hand equipment.

I consider left handed people to be the proof that if there is a god he definitely has a sense of humor, great practical joke, making 15% or so left handed. Enough that it is a problem for many, but not enough that their needs are naturally thought about.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012

Just going to leave this here... https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Soap-Spoon.html
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    With roadie, often swing the leg over the bars when getting off - stems (hah, bad pun!!!) from a training buddy many years back who pointed out the obvious: bars are lower than seat. Less height to get the leg over can be an advantage when they're in a jelly like state ...

Having experimented with this this afternoon i have to say, its as ridiculous now as it seemed last night. :D

First up, the height issue, and my saddle, strangely is not higher than my bars, so that counters any height benefit immediately. because its mainly communiting or off road i prefer to be more upright.

Then i have to add on the hoods because i have those very high, i almost never ride in the drops, so theres more height.

and the bars are also wider so you need more of an arc, id need to be a gymnast to get my legs over the front. :D
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3889
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Aren't your arms in the way?
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms

Well indeed. this is the other problem, when you try to lift your leg over the bars you run into your hands, its all far too complicated.. If you did a cx dismount like that you would crash into yourself

but apparently..

https://twitter.com/Rich_Treen/status/527765773784453121
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 340
    Having experimented with this this afternoon i have to say, its as ridiculous now as it seemed last night. :D

First up, the height issue, and my saddle, strangely is not higher than my bars, so that counters any height benefit immediately. because its mainly communiting or off road i prefer to be more upright.

Then i have to add on the hoods because i have those very high, i almost never ride in the drops, so theres more height.

and the bars are also wider so you need more of an arc, id need to be a gymnast to get my legs over the front. :D

Rules 44 to 46!!!!   :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

;)
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro

You move them as your leg comes around ...

Dim's right though, it does involve a touch of co-ordination ...

Unfortunately the only video that I can find of someone doing it involves a hipster on a fixie ... and I can't post it on principle (because of the the hipster bit; not the fixie)
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
      • Velorooms
    Rules 44 to 46!!!!   :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry :angry

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

;)

I disagree.

Personally, on the cx bike i have my bars just about level, because i ride in a slightly more upright position. Yes, on the road bike the saddle was higher so i would ride in a proper nose to the bars crouch, but on the cross bike i ride in more a in between style somewhere between road and mtb position.

Partly because after fracturing my back my flexibility isnt what it was, but also because i spend most of my time either on the top of the bars (i have top mounted brakes), or on the hoods where feel a greater level of control over rough terrain, i very rarely ride in the drops. Which is why i also have my hoods quite high

regardless, lifting your leg over teh bars is ridiculous :D
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Personally, on the cx bike i have my bars just about level, because i ride in a slightly more upright position. Yes, on the road bike the saddle was higher so i would ride in a proper nose to the bars crouch, but on the cross bike i ride in more a in between style somewhere between road and mtb position.

I think "The Rules", which are by the way very amusing for those who haven't yet consulted them, are only applicable to road cycling anyway.

I don't normally read literature on 'cycling culture' but there was a toilet book in my last house that I found funny, for the relevant five to ten minutes at a time, which stated something to the effect that, in their apparent seriousness, 'roadies suck out everything that's fun about the act of cycling'.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

LaVelocipede

• Domestique
    • Liked: 382
    • Awards: Reigning TDF Prediction Champ2015 Giro Quiz League - 1st PlaceNew Member of 2014
    Always from the right. No preference for pedal strokes or unclipping.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Cycling is like boxing: It's not a game. It's a hard, pitiless sport that demands very great sacrifices.One plays football, tennis, hockey, but one does not play at cycling."
    - Jean de Gribaldy

Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    I think "The Rules" ... are only applicable to road cycling anyway.

I have the same saddle to bar drop on my cross bike and MTB ... only exception is if I am on an enduro bike, where with the combo of terrain, geometry and usually having risers I ride a bit higher ... It's just how I feel comfortable on a bike. I am also relatively flexible, so it's an easy position to get into ...

And there are a whole heap of The Rules that apply to all forms of cycling ... most especially number 5 and number 12!  :cool

'roadies suck out everything that's fun about the act of cycling'
    Tu as raison, monsieur ...

This is one of the reasons why I hardly ever get my road bike out any more - that and the fact that playing on the dirt or on dirt roads is soooooooo much more fun!   :)

Partly because after fracturing my back my flexibility isnt what it was ....

Ok, so that explains - but still doesn't excuse - your breach of The Rules ...   :P

I disagree.

Description of heinous breaches of The Rules

regardless, lifting your leg over teh bars is ridiculous :D

That's fine ... but you're still wrong on both counts!   :yuush

;) ;)

(Can you tell that it has been a long swing at work and that I'm looking forward to my three weeks R&R ... which starts in 3 days!!!???!!!   :S)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    I checked today... no way I can get my leg over the handle bars.. hmmm :?
  • ReplyReply

• 42x16ss

• Domestique
    • Liked: 380
    • Awards: Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014
    Interesting topic guys :) I've never thought about this before but thinking back to the last few days I guess I seem to get on from either side, depending on what's around. I also clip in and out with either foot, I know this because friends have commented but I think I use the left more because I wear out my cleats slightly faster on that side.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    I guess I seem to get on from either side, depending on what's around.

:D
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    As was pointed out in Sunday's cyclocross Live Chat, I think we've found the most egregious offender of them all.  :P

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    As was pointed out in Sunday's cyclocross Live Chat, I think we've found the most egregious offender of them all.  :P

that just looks awkward and WRONG
  • ReplyReply

•