collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3264
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: How many languages are you fluent in?
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2015, 21:31 »
what is now Danish sounded much like Icelandic does today - and I wouldn't understand spoken Icelandic either.

Give it a week or so.  :P

Daniel is now flying to Iceland for his ultimate challenge: We've given him a week to learn a totally new language from scratch, and then go live on national television.

Even the locals say that Icelandic is confusing and unpronounceable.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7399
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #121 on: March 28, 2015, 21:45 »
    Give it a week or so.  :P
    Ha! With subtitles, I have zero difficulty understanding Icelandic! :win
    Even without subtitles, I can understand part of it.

Give me, well, maybe a year in Iceland, and I'll have learned the language.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #122 on: April 22, 2019, 02:40 »
    A friend of mine (a piano player), who I used to perform with quite a bit, met a Spanish girl here who was working as an au pair. She didn't speak English, nor he Spanish. But they fell in love, and eventually got married. She would attend most of our concerts, and we all got along with her quite well, although her English improved only incrementally over the course of many months. But still, they had found their bond.

I believe the strain did take a toll on her, and after a couple of years they decided to relocate to Spain. That was well over a decade ago, and as far as know they are both still living there, and I can only presume that they are still together. Knowing this guy as I had, it is easy for me to imagine that his Spanish—even after all these years—is probably no better than her English ever was. So if he loses her, I would expect to see him back here with little more than the clothes on his back, speaking some form of barely recognizable Spanglish.

I was just casually perusing this thread and realized that it needs a bump.

Reason being? The highlighted above has since come to pass, as predicted. :fp  :P
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 433
    « Reply #123 on: April 22, 2019, 03:50 »
    Been sent to Singapore for 9 months ... so figure that i may as well use the location and the fact that my partner couldn't come with me for that time (so I need something to fill in evenings and weekends!) to learn Mandarin. Start in a week or so ... will be interesting to see how far I get in the fluency department.

On a related but separate note ...

... what is it with people who visit another country/culture and then spend all of their time doing their best not to experience it??

I have 3 guys working for me who fit this bill.

They never leave the hotel unless it is to go to work. Actually, not true ... One brave sould walks 20 min to a supermarket to buy protein bars (his workday lunch). I can also occasionally get them out to go to dinner - provided it's to a western food restaurant. Otherwise they eat pure western food from the hotel.

One guy I think has serious religious issues - bordering on bigotry. I base that on his pretty obvious dislike for various groups of the population that we work with (all degree qualified professionals - we're at a major refinery) and a comment that he wants to avoid the risk of eating Halal meat "since I'm a christian". (First time I've ever heard that as a tenet of christianity!) That attitude is pretty limiting in a country as diverse and inclusive as Singapore.

My approach is the exact opposite - eating at food markets, exploring all sorts of places (eg., Little India, Tiong Bahru, walkways, gardens) and shopping at "non-expat" malls and streets.

I mean, if my boss is kind enough to pay for me to come here, why wouldn't I take advantage and get out and explore and try new experiences???
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #124 on: April 22, 2019, 07:26 »
    Been sent to Singapore for 9 months ... so figure that i may as well use the location and the fact that my partner couldn't come with me for that time (so I need something to fill in evenings and weekends!) to learn Mandarin. Start in a week or so ... will be interesting to see how far I get in the fluency department.
    Good luck with the gazillion characters! :lol

On a related but separate note ...

... what is it with people who visit another country/culture and then spend all of their time doing their best not to experience it??

I mean, if my boss is kind enough to pay for me to come here, why wouldn't I take advantage and get out and explore and try new experiences???
    Beats me. It's like going on holiday and only eating at McDonalds, only worse. :slow
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #125 on: April 22, 2019, 13:47 »
    Been sent to Singapore for 9 months ...

Not making it to Singapore is still one of my great regrets. As I mentioned upthread, I had the opportunity to tour and perform in Korea, Okinawa and Japan for a couple of months in the mid '90s. The last leg of the tour was supposed to take us to Singapore for five days, but that all fell through at the last minute. Such a shame, considering that, IIRC, Singapore is a seven hour flight just from Japan, and one of the farthest points on the globe away from my home in the Northeast U.S., with the exception of maybe Australia. I'm just not sure when I'll find myself on that side of the planet again, but it's always been a point of curiosity to me since.

Personally, I can't imagine not wanting to immerse myself in the culture of whatever country I happen to find myself in (or even different parts of the U.S., for that matter). Some people tend to circle the wagons and only reinforce the walls of their bubble, but I can only surmise that that stems from either insecurities or pure ignorance. I just don't get it.

In days-gone-by, it would've been nearly impossible not to experience the local culture of wherever one found one's self. But with globalization, and the spread of western influence, it's all too easy to escape to the familiar for many travelers. It's a shame, really.
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #126 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40 »
    Good luck with the gazillion characters! :lol
    Beats me. It's like going on holiday and only eating at McDonalds, only worse. :slow

I have an advantage with the characters - my handwriting is so terrible that it may as well be Chinese script!!!  ;) ;)

And I hear you about eating McDonalds. One of the guys told me (somewhat proudly) that he has 3 dishes that he eats at the restaurant ... and that is the sum extent of his dietary range ...   :S :S :S
  • ReplyReply

• Kiwirider

• Neo Pro
    « Reply #127 on: April 23, 2019, 03:50 »
    Not making it to Singapore is still one of my great regrets. As I mentioned upthread, I had the opportunity to tour and perform in Korea, Okinawa and Japan for a couple of months in the mid '90s. The last leg of the tour was supposed to take us to Singapore for five days, but that all fell through at the last minute. Such a shame, considering that, IIRC, Singapore is a seven hour flight just from Japan, and one of the farthest points on the globe away from my home in the Northeast U.S., with the exception of maybe Australia. I'm just not sure when I'll find myself on that side of the planet again, but it's always been a point of curiosity to me since.

Personally, I can't imagine not wanting to immerse myself in the culture of whatever country I happen to find myself in (or even different parts of the U.S., for that matter). Some people tend to circle the wagons and only reinforce the walls of their bubble, but I can only surmise that that stems from either insecurities or pure ignorance. I just don't get it.

In days-gone-by, it would've been nearly impossible not to experience the local culture of wherever one found one's self. But with globalization, and the spread of western influence, it's all too easy to escape to the familiar for many travelers. It's a shame, really.

For me, Singapore is 1 degree of latitude away from being 180 degrees around the world from where I live ... which is kinda bizarre as a concept.

I hear you about the wagon circling. It is one of the reasons why I never did the classic Kiwi and Aussie "Big OE" - which is the pilgrimage that most 20 somethings do to the UK to work and live. Almost to a person they end up living in flats full of Kiwis and Aussies, drinking and eating in Kiwi and Aussie pubs and just hanging out with Kiwis and Aussies. Not a defensive move as such, but kinda defeats the purpose of spending on the airfare in the first place ...

And your point about being bombarded by western influence is an interesting one. I find here that there are still big bits of western cultue, but they are very much under the influence or even control of the local culture. One way to describe it is to give the examples of the Grab's (local Uber). To all intents and purposes they are the same, predominantly Japanese marque, cars that you'll find anywhere. But get inside and see how many of them have mobile shrines to good luck and good fortune on their dash. It's kind of like, scrape a thin layer and the true culture is still there. I think that the combination of language and some of the spirituality (I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "religion") help to keep it strong ...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #128 on: April 23, 2019, 12:41 »
    And I hear you about eating McDonalds. One of the guys told me (somewhat proudly) that he has 3 dishes that he eats at the restaurant ... and that is the sum extent of his dietary range ...   :S :S :S
    And I thought I was a picky eater! :o
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    « Reply #129 on: April 28, 2019, 03:16 »
    Totally random, but I'm curious...

Had they lost their native accents? This is so interesting to me.

Van Halen brothers 1996 on Dutch Veronica TV (RARE)

Eddie and Alex Van Halen speaking their native language (Dutch)

And here's an interesting perspective:
    Eddie Van Halen's First Day of School in America
  • ReplyReply

•