collapse

* Q & A Session Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Egon Van Kessel

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 33
Re: Q&A: Egon Van Kessel Wiggle Honda DS
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 19:22 »

2. Related to that, how do you find and develop young (neo-pro) riders? Especially as women's U23 racing is a lot less developed than at the men's side of the sport. What are the must-follow races for team managers scouting for young talent, and how do you test or screen potential candidates for a neo-pro spot?

Women under 23 riders is total different than men under 23. Women under 23 are comparing to men under 23 physical  much more developed. A women from 18 or 19 can be elite World champion and that is with men not possible. But I always  look at the age and if possible the background of the riders. In women cycling it is much more important to scout the junior riders because of this than in men cycling.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 19:24 by froome19 »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6354
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 20:18 »
    I missed this unfortunately, but thanks for taking the time Egon to answer the questions. Best of luck to you and Wiggle-Honda next year.

I noticed you dodged my Bronzini question though.  :D
  • ReplyReply

• froome19

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2048
    • Awards: 2015 National Championships Prediction Game Champion
    « Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 20:25 »
    Indeed..

A huge thank you to Egon for his all his answers. There were a whole load of interesting points made there which definitely deserve some further discussion.

Another big thank you goes to all those who asked the questions. I hope you are all happy with your answers and of course also to all those who read along. There were quite a lot of you as we nearly crashed the server - again!

We wish Wiggle Honda a successful year with all their new signings and can't wait to see how they go.

Watch out for Q&As with people within the sport coming up very soon and feel free to use this thread to discuss the Q&A further.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Egon Van Kessel

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 33
    « Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 13:05 »
    I think that the UCI should promote Pro Tour teams to start also with women teams. I know it is  about maybe between 5 or 10% of their budget but well spend. Now they spend a lot of money for in fact nothing. When Pro Tour Teams have a women Team, it would be much more professional and women cycling more visible.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3886
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 13:15 »
    do you think World Tour Teams should be required to also have a womens team to get a licence?

And another question - do you think there should be a salary cap in cycling?

Again - thanks so much for your posts.   
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3365
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 17:31 »
    I think that the UCI should promote Pro Tour teams to start also with women teams. I know it is  about maybe between 5 or 10% of their budget but well spend. Now they spend a lot of money for in fact nothing. When Pro Tour Teams have a women Team, it would be much more professional and women cycling more visible.

One thing ive long voiced is that womens ranking points should somehow be incorporated into the mens world tour rankings.

So for instance, Greenedge's world tour ranking is X pts and X position, as they have a womens team their womens points rankings should be incorporated into their overall ranking, so that teams who have a womens team actually benefit as far as WT ranking goes.

If the UCI presses ahead with their ideas for divisions and promotion/relegation, then for teams who have a womens team this could prove the difference between staying in the top level and being relegated.

There could be an argument that this would somehow make the womens team nothing more than a source of points for the mens, and they would lose some "independance" but it could also be a way to encourage top level mens team to invest in a womens team, especially those teams that are on the cusp of the rankings each year.

Obviously some sort of rejigging as to how the points are allocated would be needed, as points are awarded much higher in the womens races.

For instance:
    Giant Shimano women - 6th with 1914 pts, which is more than  the #1 mens team movistar have, so its currently unbalanced, but if womens race pts were more aligned with the mens

For instance, Lotto belisol are 15th on the mens rankings, which is borderline under the proposed rules to be "relegated", but add in the points from their womens team (11th) in the rankings, and they would move up and retain their place in the top level of mens racing courtesy of the womens performance
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10904
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Recent Topics