collapse

badger60.1

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 0
Sportives
« on: January 25, 2012, 08:50 »
Is anyone planning on doing any sportives this year?, i'm doing the Squires and Spires (Northampton) in April and the Wheel Heroes 100's (Stratford) in May and the the annual Rolls Royce Derby-Skegness charity cycle ride at the end of June
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    Re: Sportives
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:00 »
    Wiggle No Excuses
    Peak 100
    Dragon Ride
    Etape du Tour - Part One
    Etape du Tour - Part Two
    Etape Cymru

Once I have all the charity stuff sorted I'll post further information as I'm hoping to do at least 1000 miles in organised events and raise a minimum of £1000 in total for my chosen Charities. That little lot adds up to about 580 miles so I'm getting there, still looking for at least one event in May as I haven't got anything planned for that month yet and then there'll be the UK Tour Rides once the Tour of Britain route is announced. Needless to say the Rollers are getting a pounding at the moment!!!
  • ReplyReply

• Dim

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3360
      • Velorooms
    • Awards: Race Preview of 2014Best Post 2012
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:05 »
    If we hadnt left Devon a year ago we would almost certainly be doing the Jurassic Classic
    http://www.prostate-cancer.org.uk/fundraising/event/jurassic-classic/100km-challenge

• ReplyReply

• Icebreaker

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 214
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57 »
    I'll be doing the Axel Merckx and Kelowna Gran Fondo's again this year.

Probably the Whistler Gran Fondo.

Will be doing the Alberta Gran Fondo (Banff) and the McDowell Mountain Century in The Phoenix area.

I think that's enough.
  • ReplyReply

• Scott SoCal

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 3
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:34 »
    3rd time for the Tour of Flanders Cyclo.  It's only 244 Kim's this year.q :)
  • ReplyReply

• Training Wheels

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11 »
    I'll be doing the Axel Merckx and Kelowna Gran Fondo's again this year.

Probably the Whistler Gran Fondo.

Will be doing the Alberta Gran Fondo (Banff) and the McDowell Mountain Century in The Phoenix area.

I think that's enough.

The Santa Rosa and Mt. Hood sportives are amzing - highly recommended!

• ReplyReply
  • Never Stop Exploring!

Training Wheels

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:13 »
    The Giro d Sardinia  -  http://www.peteranne.it/road-cycling/giro-of-sardinia/#/0/0

The most fun you will ever have on a bike - I promise  :)
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 18:40 »
    Three more added to my list for this year and now only 123 miles short of my 1000 mile minimum target.

Tour of the Roaches
    Wiggle Tour of The Peak
    Ride to the Horns

Plus I'm staying down in Wales for a few days after The Dragon to do some more climbing over Bwlch and Rhigos.
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 16:29 »
    No Excuses Completed. 82 miles, 3 punctures, lots of swearing!

First two hours was fine with no real problems, easily trundling along at over 18mph average before I got my first flat and after that it was just miserable. Mind you I wasn't the only one as I reckon I saw more bikes upturned for tube replacements on this event than ever.

Lost over an hour in time as my official time was 6hrs 7mins but CatEye time was 4hrs 55mins.

Ah well, onto the Peak100 next!

As I mentioned in other posts I've added a charity aspect to all this (just to keep going over those HC climbs in July!)

www.bluebuzzards.com/1000miles has all the info and I'd appreciate any help (doesn't have to be a donation it could just be a share on Facebook, Twitter etc.)
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 819
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06 »
    Wiggle No Excuses

I saw millions of people puncturing and a guy with broken handlebars who'd crashed on the uphill past the lake at Grafham.

Results are here... I did standard.

Are you considering the Discover Rutland CiCLE tour that goes on the day before the professional race?
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 15:43 »
    Yeah it was a real lottery out there. Saw two chain snaps as well and thankfully one of said broken chain owners gave up his spare Inner Tube so I could complete the event.

Can't do the Rutland as that clashes with "research" at the East Anglian Beer Festival. My other job involves the brewing of fine ales!
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 13:00 »
    Lucky Boy...

I am thinking of treating myself to a jersey if I finish...

• ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 15:37 »
    Nice, I like the Dragon Ride kit for this year and might invest as I only have one set of bib shorts and two short sleeved tops at the moment.

Not sure if anyone else has seen this http://www.wheelsinwheels.com/fy_shimano_wheel_service.html but they're offering a chance to try out some rather nice Shimano Wheelsets at the mentioned events.

It's done by ballot so I figured what the hell and put in for a set of C50's on The Ride to the Horns  :)
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 11:17 »
    Peak 100 on Sunday, get to play on the Cat and Fiddle and hopefully I'll finish it this year as my chain snapped after 40 miles last year!
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27 »
    It wasnt just the pros who took a total hammering in the Rutland CiCLE Classic weekend...

http://road.cc/content/blog/57322-i-discovered-rutland-was-cold-and-wet
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 20:45 »
    Passed the halfway point of my challenge on Sunday having completed the Dragon Ride and Flat Out on the Fens. 500 miles down just another 500 and a bit to go  :D

Having a rest now before Ride to the Horns and then onto France and the etape's  ???
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 16:55 »
    How did you find flat out in the fens... ?

I posted my Garmin data in the Rides section thread...

http://velorooms.com/general-discussion/rides-section/msg43005/#msg43005
  • ReplyReply

• BlueBuzzard

• Sunday Rider
    « Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 13:09 »
    Fens was OK up until the routes split at the Medium/Long point and then I was practically on my own for the rest of the ride. Managed to finish the Long Route in 8hrs 30mins so got my first Gold Standard for a Sportive  :D

As for the etape's....... WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW and yet more WOW. Up until my fourth flat on Act 1 (Albertville to La Toussuire) I was doing OK and on target for 9 to 9 1/2 hours. The descents off the Madeleine and Croix de Fer where awesome and I was inside 50km to go and heading towards the bottom of the Mollard when I punctured yet again and had run out of spare tubes and was already running on a repaired one from earlier. No sign of any roving Mavic support and so it was game over. Luckily the weather was glorious so waiting for the broom wagon wasn't too bad but I was still pretty peeed off. Needless to say the following day I stripped the tyres off and they got junked, had nothing but problems with the Michelins and should have scrapped them well before hand. I had brought all my old tyres, wheels and other assorted parts with me so I went back onto an old set of Conti's.

After a visit to the Tour (Besancon, Grand Colombier and Albertville) it was off to Pau for Act 2 and the monster that was Pau to Luchon. Day before the event it was glorious with temperatures in the thirties but it didn't stay that way and it was to cause a lot of problems. At Pau it was perfect in the morning, overcast but not cold and no rain. As we hit the first climb conditions gradually got worse and above 1100 metres the cloud base had come right in and it was drizzling steadily with visibility in places down to less than 20 feet. Cresting the Aubisque it was even worse with the temperature close to zero and the mist cutting the visibility down even further. Factor in windchill as well and we were definitely descending in below zero temperatures and not able to see where we were going, thank heaven it was a closed road event.

After dropping down into the valley leading up to the Tourmalet the weather improved, we even saw some blue sky and sun but again at 1100 metres it started to change and at the top it was the same story. At the bottom of the descent the first aid tent was packed with shivering wrecks and I dare say a few already suffering with hypothermia. I'd come down shivering, at times barely able to control the bike or the brakes but I was lucky and recovered quickly after a five minute warm up in the tent. Realising that the longer I stopped the more likely I might question continuing I jumped back on and headed for the Col d'Aspin and finally the Peyresourde. Both were also covered in mist but it had certainly eased off by the time I hit the final climb and the last descent into Luchon which was just epic. Once the technical stuff at the top was out the way the mist cleared, the roads dried out and it was full gas through the wide sweeping roads hitting 55mph on the way into the finish. On a day where 4696 abandoned and only 3829 made it to the end I collected my first etape finishers medal as one of the few.

Loved it to bits and already working out how to afford another crack at it next year.
  • ReplyReply

• Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 09:37 »
    For anyone in the Midlands or East of England...

SUNDAY September 30th sees the Fenland Clarion Cycling Club organise the NENE VALLEY CYCLO SPORTIVE. The event will start and finish at the picturesque Ferry Meadows Country Park in Peterborough.

There will be a choice three different distances to tackle, 25, 50 and 75 miles. The routes will all head South West from the park, through Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and returning via Northamptonshire lanes, loosely following the course of River Nene. The terrain could described as gently undulating and roads generally quiet.

The event is British Cycling registered and will be signposted. There will be  two well stocked feed stations (two on the longer route one on the medium) and there will be unique momento and certificate for each rider finishing. There will be first aid and full results.

Profits will be going to the Fenland Clarion Youth Development Programme.

• Signposted
    • Well stocked Feed Stations
    • Good Parking
    • Toilets
    • Unique momento and goody bag for all riders
    • Photos
    • Results
    • Certificate for every finisher
    • Entry £15.00 (+ 60p online)
    • Souvenir Tee Shirt available (£10)

Organiser : Steve Clarke steve@fenlanclarion.co.uk  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Postal Entries to: Steve Clarke, 23 Woodland Lea, Helpston, Peterborough PE3 7PR
    (Cheques payable to Fenland Clarion C.C.)

ROUTES
    Note: May change slightly before the day. Routes will be signposted.

Fenland Clarion NENE VALLEY Cyclo Sportive 75 mile Route

Fenland Clarion NENE VALLEY Cyclo Sportive 50 mile Route

Fenland Clarion NENE VALLEY Cyclo Sportive 25 mile Route

Enter Online or Download an entry form   

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:14 by jimmythecuckoo »

Jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Original Fendrien...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 11:11 »
    It was a nice event, if not a bit windy... will post results on here when I get them for any VR riders.
  • ReplyReply

•