collapse

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 83
Re: On which side..?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 18:55 »
Probably you're going to give us a full spec but what are those Mavic rims?

They are Mavic Open Pro's - they do two sorts, one with a milled braking surface and they still do one with a ceramic side but I went for the milled even though it was crying out for the old skool ceramics (which would have worn badly over time!).

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5913
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 20:18 »
    It's a thing of beauty! :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 21:40 »
    It's a thing of beauty! :cool

I concur.

Just going to post that again. Very elegant.

Every time you turn a pedal, it'll be like "Yeeeeeaaaaah! I made this!"

Tall but not so long up at the front, isn't it? Interesting.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 23:02 »
    I concur.

Just going to post that again. Very elegant.

Every time you turn a pedal, it'll be like "Yeeeeeaaaaah! I made this!"

Tall but not so long up at the front, isn't it? Interesting.

The sizing was interesting because at the start we did a bike fit session and they had said 'bring your current bike' which initially I left in the car. The bike in question was my Roberts which wasn't built for me and I'd never really measured it but had changed it to be comfortable over a few years.

So I took it in after the initial fit and we measured it against the bike fit and it was pretty much 1-2mm variance everywhere, seat height, reach, lever reach, drop and so on. It was really close.

The finished frame has a same length seatpost, is a little longer in the top tube but the stem is a little shorter, the headtube about 10mm shorter but with a few spacers due to the Roberts having a quill stem, so it just seemed right at the first sitting.

Which was handy!

I kept thinking the headtube was a bit short due to the gap between the tubes but they are wider diameter tubes so it just looked a bit different.

Even the forks (which were made by Geoff Roberts) have a very similar rake to my '88 Roberts so I was really pleased when it landed on the floor and just looked right.

It will sink in when hopefully in the next few days I hopefully will get to ride it.

I guess the other reason it looks low is that its a horizontal top tube and not a compact frame, my more modern road bike seems taller at the front but with no quill again its similar in setup.

Overall it looks pretty purposeful and I hope it feels that good when it finally turns a wheel!

Thanks for the comments :)
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 23:13 »
    I'd also add that the paint job (which I came up with) was done by a frickin genius and I'm in no doubt it adds a massive amount to making it look like it does. Really pleased with it and the bits I chose.

And I know where the faults are in the build ;) but thats my fault!

But yeah, I'll ride it and update the thread.

Edit: Let me re-phrase that, I did the paint design but Jaco who painted it did an absolutely amazing job of it from some rough drawings. We also had a discussion on the colours and he guided me really well on it. The paint hides a few sins shall we say :)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 23:23 by Sauna in Duvel »

Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 00:33 »
    So, admission time, the faults.

Filing: whilst I thought I'd done a good job of filing my classmate was leagues ahead and was just noticably tidier. He was so accurate doing his frame. Paint hides the sins :)

Frame fairies: Apparently these exist. They appear in the night and they make subtle adjustments to your work when you are not looking. There were a few bits that just looked slightly different the next day and no one admitted to doing this but it DID happen ;)

Bottle mounts: I drilled one and soldered one a little wonky and no fairies noticed it. Bottle cages have a bit of give in this but we did need to file a cage a bit to make it fit. Not much, but a little. I did metal cages accordingly.

Rear stays: Not so much a problem because the brazing is not easy to make them completely super accurate and you can make a few filings to adjust the wheel seating, because its hand made. Perhaps this is an admission too far. The wheel is straight in the frame.

Seat lug: I over filed the slot a bit and while you really can't see it, I know its there. Will try harder next time o n the MTB frame.

Did I mention the next time? Oh, minor mistake there too :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 08:21 »
    I'd also add that the paint job (which I came up with) was done by a frickin genius and I'm in no doubt it adds a massive amount to making it look like it does. Really pleased with it and the bits I chose.
    Absolutely! Grey, white, orange - magnificent! :)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5647
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25 »
    "Logo" on the front: is that a longbow to match the name? :)

Frame fairies: Apparently these exist. They appear in the night and they make subtle adjustments to your work when you are not looking. There were a few bits that just looked slightly different the next day and no one admitted to doing this but it DID happen ;)

Wonderful. :lol

This has been a great adventure for us too, SiD. I am really happy you came and posted it here. Thank you!
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 13:31 »
    "Logo" on the front: is that a longbow to match the name? :)

Wonderful. :lol

This has been a great adventure for us too, SiD. I am really happy you came and posted it here. Thank you!

The Logo was done by a friend @bryankidd (on the twitters). He said it looked a bit like a bow too, but actually it was an interpretation of a Penny Farthing frame without the wheels (With the wheels was a bit too obvious), made to look a bit like an 'A'. He did the logo's for my company and website and he really is good at his stuff and has worked for some big companies in the past.

We also tried it with a dot above the top of the 'A' which sort of looks like someone climbing on a bike while out of the saddle, but then some clever spark looked at it and said it looked like someone being humped from behind! (Thanks Luv). then of course, we put some slightly grey frame protectors on the it to protect the paint so inadvertently, the head is back!.

Oddly enough I met Bryan via a convoluted set of coincidences at work (a supplier in France) but now we go biking a lot and he's a good friend.

Lets just say I owe him some lunch for that :)
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 21:00 »
    So, nearly finally (got to do the specs and thanks) I rode it today.

Someone I know that has built his own frame recently said it was a great feeling finally setting off on the first ride of the bike you had made.

The bike was lookin' at me funny today as if to say 'are we going to do this or what?' I put on my bestest bike clothes and thought I should just get on with a short ride to see whether we were going to be friends.

Even though I was a little sceptical of 'the feeling' I couldn't help but smirk slightly as I took it outside and saw it in the sunlight for the first time. Greg who helped build it had adjusted everything really well so there were no teething problems as I started out.

Having told a few people that I'd been building it, I sort of wanted to go and say Hi but I resisted, and just did a 15 mile loop not too far from home.

Lets be honest here, I was never going to admit it was a bit of a duffer was I? However, from a few short miles (well full sized miles but not many) I really enjoyed a steady bimble with a few short bursts of what I laughingly refer to as 'speed'.

The pedals were a bit difficult to engage but overall it does seem to steer really quite sweetly and is quite solid but comfortable. There are loads of probable reasons for this including some Ego no doubt, but I enjoyed it and can't wait to do a few more runs, it will hopefully be my main bike in the summer and when the weather is kind in the near future.

I had to do the coffee run of course, so I took a picture (some more on the same instagram feed) here: http://instagram.com/p/w04bG0xocS/

As my son said on my return, 'You rode your new bike today and didn't die' and I guess that pretty much sums it all up. :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #40 on: June 04, 2015, 21:07 »
    A piece on the man who tutored Sauna in Duvel, Geoff Roberts, and a five-day framebuilding course - must be the same thing! :cool
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/enigma-bicycle-works-frame-building-course
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 15:15 »
    Love this story. I recently had Kevin Winter build me a frame in 853 & built it up myself. Loved every minute and it rides like a dream.
  • ReplyReply

• Sauna in Duvel

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 01:23 »
    Time for biking has been a little short this year, I think I am about 1500 short of last year so far.

However, just popped the 1000 mile mark on it and the only problem has been a few too many scratches and 2 popped spokes.

Heres to the next ones :)
  • ReplyReply

•