collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 11184
  • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

pastronef

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 662
Re: General news season 2015
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29 »
Ho hum, that's racing xenophobia:

;)

mmm l'arri, the Irish race organizers did not like Reda's stage win.
I smell sheepsh*t
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8128
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #92 on: May 19, 2015, 16:35 »
    http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/hincapie_looking_to_go_pro_continental/

After Skujin's stage win, Hincapie still thinking about going pro continental. Probably the right time to see if there are any sponsors out there with the increased profile of the team during the week.

I wonder if SmartStop are still thinking of becoming a Canadian PCT team? Haven't heard anything about that since last summer.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7562
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #93 on: May 19, 2015, 17:22 »
    I wonder if SmartStop are still thinking of becoming a Canadian PCT team? Haven't heard anything about that since last summer.
    I hope they are.

They had thought of getting a *ca Conti licence for this year (had lined up a number of Canadians for that), and go PCT in 2016 - but only about half of those Canadians are actually on the team now. Then they started a women's team running parallel to the men's team (BMW-Happy Tooth), also with three Canadians.

From here, I can see two avenues:
    1) The existing sponsors provide more money and/or new sponsors step in, the men's team turns PCT (registered in *ca or *usa, doesn't really matter much) for 2016, the women's team either stays at its current level, also grows a bit or (in the worst case) is shrunk to find the money for PCT.
    2) Instead of going men's PCT, they continue with men's Conti and women's team like they did this year.

It's all dependent on the sponsor money really ... Which is why Vaughters etc. crying about the need for cycling to get a more sustainable financial basis have a point.
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #94 on: May 24, 2015, 23:17 »
    This piece is from before the Tour de Yorkshire, so not exactly fresh. But Eddie Dunbar is interesting to follow, a great talent:
    http://rouleur.cc/journal/riders/eddie-dunbar-interview

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #95 on: May 25, 2015, 21:59 »
    Found this short, but very interesting piece on nationality's influence on rider recruitment on the Tour of Iran website:
    http://www.tourofiran.com/108-azarbaijan-tour/tourofiran/news-30th/511-rider-recruitment,-pay-and-nationality
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #97 on: June 03, 2015, 09:16 »
    Found this short, but very interesting piece on nationality's influence on rider recruitment on the Tour of Iran website:
    http://www.tourofiran.com/108-azarbaijan-tour/tourofiran/news-30th/511-rider-recruitment,-pay-and-nationality

Nicked wholesale and without credit from ...

http://inrng.com/2015/05/rider-recruitment-pay-and-nationality/

Konovalovas neglects to mention, when complaining about Cervélo's rich country marketing strategy getting him dropped from MTN-Qhubeka, that he previously did two years on Cervélo Test Team.

So in effect, he's had exactly half of his pro career bankrolled by Vroomen in some form or another. Not bad.

I don't know whether or not he was injured and how things went internally at MTN but as a non-African with a certain pedigree, he was probably hired to get some results for the team. Which he didn't do in two seasons there. I think that has more to do with it and I fully expect MTN to drop underachievers like Matt Goss soon enough.

Since he returned to Marseille, Konovalovas has simply found his own level again, which is not ProTour and maybe not even ProConti. Not sure that Taaramae or Kangert would agree with his assertion on unfair treatment towards folks from the Baltic republics.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:27 by L'arri »
    Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #98 on: June 03, 2015, 09:28 »
    What an utterly classless move on their part.

The race logo is quite amusing though.
    Tour of Iran

Win clean
    :D

Btw, which team is that the slide show with the green fade colors, and city skyline in the background? I'm quite fond of that kit.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #99 on: June 03, 2015, 15:38 »

http://inrng.com/2015/05/rider-recruitment-pay-and-nationality/
    What an utterly classless move on their part.
    Go figure. I was quite surprised to find a piece in such good English on that site - that explains it. :angry

Konovalovas neglects to mention, when complaining about Cervélo's rich country marketing strategy getting him dropped from MTN-Qhubeka, that he previously did two years on Cervélo Test Team.

So in effect, he's had exactly half of his pro career bankrolled by Vroomen in some form or another. Not bad.

I don't know whether or not he was injured and how things went internally at MTN but as a non-African with a certain pedigree, he was probably hired to get some results for the team. Which he didn't do in two seasons there. I think that has more to do with it and I fully expect MTN to drop underachievers like Matt Goss soon enough.

Since he returned to Marseille, Konovalovas has simply found his own level again, which is not ProTour and maybe not even ProConti. Not sure that Taaramae or Kangert would agree with his assertion on unfair treatment towards folks from the Baltic republics.
    Good points.

From what I've heard Konovalovas was hired not so much as a rider for results, but as someone with domestique-ing experience in high-level races, and acted as a mentor/road captain for those. But of course his ITT skills were a factor too, and better results in ITTs might have persuaded the team to keep him.
    He does have a good TT in him, but apart from that he's nothing more than a decent domestique ... something that plenty of riders with the 'right' passport are as well. Taaramäe, Kangert, Navardauskas or Saramotins are more skilled than him, but there are several riders of Konovalovas' level on ProConti or WT teams who just happen to be born in Italy, France, Belgium or the Netherlands.

Ultimately, though, one good Giro ITT doesn't guarantee you a 10-year pro career - as Alex Rasmussen knows all too well.

Btw, which team is that the slide show with the green fade colors, and city skyline in the background? I'm quite fond of that kit.
    This?

#nsr Navitas Satalyst, *au Conti team.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #100 on: June 04, 2015, 00:10 »
    This?

Yes!  :o

An Aussie team?! I'm attracted to an...Aussie team?!  :o  :o  :o
  • ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #101 on: June 05, 2015, 19:29 »
    Doesn't really fit anywhere, here is a cool video about the Rás from Neon Velo:

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

Leadbelly

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8128
    • Awards: 2018 Zero Pointers CQ Game winnerNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 984
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #104 on: June 24, 2015, 15:10 »
    https://twitter.com/CyclingiQ/status/612746193945276417
    He's lucky to be in a position where he can afford (or is sponsored) to ride bikes in Belgium. Indeed, his BE was done in Purdue.  Most of our best cyclists, and sportsmen, come from less than enviable backgrounds and have careers with defence forces, the railways or the police.

Of course, he can be likened to a pioneering cricketer (say CK Nayudu), but hopefully there will be a Kapil Dev. Someone like Bikram Singh... really good, but needs the job for his actual life, even if workloads are lower for sportsmen compared to regular employees.

That, and indeed to nurture an environment to keep away from the wrong path (although, there are more pressing matters like the running of races). Something that requires resources which are grossly lacking. Amrit Singh fell foul of that at the National games recently.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 22:11 »
    There's an *et academy team based in Gipuzkoa, managed by well-known sports agency Velofutur and riding Spanish amateur races:
    Ethiopia Academy - Ner Group :)

I very much like their jersey. :cool

Quote from: Facebook
    Our friends from Ethiopia ask us about the aim of Ethiopia Academy-Ner Group. We wish to explain the philosophy. We are not a cycling club. Or at least we are not only a cycling club. We are developing an Academy because we wish to work with the riders in all the points of view and not only in sportive point of view. It means that the riders selected will learn English language, Spanish language, Computer Sciencie... Also, we invited one trainer from Ethiopia too because we are interested to teach him how to organize a calendar and how to train the riders too. We start with the project now. As you can see, we showed to the mass media yesterday. But this is a project in medium and long term. Now, the riders has guaranteed three months with the best calendar in Spain. And they will start running this weekend: Saturday and Sunday! Thank you for support the Ethiopia Academy-Ner Group from Africa!!

Five riders, between 20 and 27 years old, make up the team:
    Goton Mebrahtu Biru (27): Several stage top-10s in the 2013 Tour of Rwanda, with a 2nd place his best result there.
    Kibrom Hailay Giday (26): 13th overall in Rwanda in 2011.
    Getachew Atsbha (25): 4th overall in Rwanda 2012, took home the youth and mountain jersey. 7th the following year.
    Hailemelekot Hailu (20): No real results to his name yet. Participated in the 2013 Tour of Rwanda and the 2014 Sharjah Tour.
    Temesgen Buru (20): 6th overall in the 2014 Tour of Rwanda, 12th in the African ITT champs earlier this year.

These riders will benefit tremendously from regular, high-level competition. Looking forward to see their progress.

Finally, here's an article on the team (in Spanish).
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 22:30 by LukasCPH »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #107 on: June 27, 2015, 11:36 »
    I just found out that since late May, *ma Morocco finally has a Continental team: Al Marakeb Cycling Team! :win
    http://www.cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/continental/marocco-la-prima-storica-continental-e-realta

The team's biggest names are ex #euskaltel Tarik Chaoufi and veteran Abdelatif Saadoune. Other experienced riders are Mouhcine Rhaili and Hassan Zahboune, while Reda Aadel leads a quintet of young talents.

I'm a bit confused as to why they started the team in the middle of this season when the Africa Tour is almost done for this year (the Worlds qualification is done, except for the points scored by #mtn #skydive #bikeaid riders in Europe/Asia/America) - and the races that are left are ones that Moroccan teams never participated in until now.
    But maybe this new team will want to ride in the *bf Tour du Faso, *rw Tour of Rwanda or *za Cycle4Madiba[1] - I would be happy to see them there.
     1. if that actually materialises ...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #108 on: June 28, 2015, 09:02 »
    Not sure where else to put this:
    https://twitter.com/YLMSportScience/status/614855766709637120
    Generally cyclists are well-fed, but what concerns me is the loss of 400g body fat in a 4-day race. These people have virtually no fat to start with, if they lose that during competition that can't be healthy.
    Also, no wonder they get sick and break bones all the time.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #109 on: June 28, 2015, 10:57 »
    Not sure where else to put this:
    https://twitter.com/YLMSportScience/status/614855766709637120
    Generally cyclists are well-fed, but what concerns me is the loss of 400g body fat in a 4-day race. These people have virtually no fat to start with, if they lose that during competition that can't be healthy.
    Also, no wonder they get sick and break bones all the time.

exactly once the body has little or no Fat stores it starts breaking down muscle and then the starts skipping building processes of which one is bones re generation

so we have the lack of support ( muscle) for bone and weaker bone [1] ( due to the lack of stress which makes natural regeneration occur, without stress bone gets weaker) and weaker bone [2] due to the body using energy and nutrient stores in making the legs tick over and arms pull when cycling
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #110 on: June 28, 2015, 21:03 »
    #tusnad Tom Bossis explains why he couldn't ride today's *fr national champs:
    http://www.sisbos.fr/blog/2015/06/27/pourquoi-je-ne-serai-pas-au-depart-du-championnat-de-france-demain/
    He doesn't have the license necessary for that according to the French federation's regulations.

Which leads to this:
    http://www.sisbos.fr/blog/2015/03/02/le-statut-continental-en-france-pourquoi-je-plaide-louverture/

I saw the DCU rulebook some time ago, and the license fees for a rider on a Continental team or a DCU elite team (the equivalent of a French DN1 team) were exactly the same.
    Giving French Conti cyclists professional status has some benefits, but as Bossis points out there are drawbacks as well. DN1 riders aren't amateurs in the true sense of the word; in fact, I don't think (m)any elite category cyclists are.

The French should be careful that Conti cyclists don't lose the benefits of the current status, but they should try to diminish the drawbacks. 3 Continental teams isn't much for France, and the rules disencourage DN1 teams from stepping up, and have put Véranda Rideau out of business.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #111 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23 »
    Reports coming out of *dk Cult have said unless they find a co-sponsor for 2016 they will pull out of cycling

https://twitter.com/DennisPraest/status/615794522308673536
  • ReplyReply

• DB-Coop

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 1784
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC Memorial award for Extremely Outstanding Content 2014Avatar of 2014Velorooms Vuelta Velogames Winner 2014
    « Reply #112 on: June 30, 2015, 17:13 »
    Reports coming out of *dk Cult have said unless they find a co-sponsor for 2016 they will pull out of cycling

https://twitter.com/DennisPraest/status/615794522308673536

It is all over the news already, Skelde inviting Riis in. My guess Saxo Bank - Cult Energy in 2016
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #113 on: June 30, 2015, 17:17 »
    It is all over the news already, Skelde inviting Riis in. My guess Saxo Bank - Cult Energy in 2016

we came up with the same name on Twitter so it must be fact

Sexybank cult it is then  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #114 on: July 01, 2015, 09:07 »
    Not really sure where this fits track, Road etc etc

anyways

Sky the TV people will not sponsor Britch cycling anymore but stay with Team Sky after 2016 or start of 2017 however you look at it

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/20150630-about-bc-news-British-Cycling--2016-will-be-final-year-of-Sky-partnership-0
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #115 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47 »
    Inexplicable ...

This is Remco Grasman at the recent Dutch Nationals TT. I think we can all agree that the ramp is narrow but that was not the problem here. Possibly he expected more of a launch and it didn't happen.

Grasman apparently sustained a relatively severe injury from this (details not provided but looking at the rider's left arm is not recommended for those of a gentler disposition), which proves that the slow ones are often the worst ones.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• Hot Prospect
    • Liked: 476
    « Reply #116 on: July 03, 2015, 23:49 »
    Crumbs that is really difficult to watch..
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

pastronef

• Road Captain

pastronef

• Road Captain