collapse

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
  • Liked: 273
Re: College sports: Why all the hysteria?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 21:55 »
Interesting read!!

My only very vague interest in in the hockey side of things which appears, at a glance, to be the poor cousin of NCAA sports with a major League ie the NHL. from my reading the US College system tries to equate itself to the Major Junior leagues in Canada as the first tier junior leagues are less obvious come draft time. Most juniors who make it into the NHL find themselves playing Junior in Canada or come through the NCAA system. There are some from the junior game but not many....

Beyond that  I'd refer you to the initial comment .... who gives a sh*t....
  • ReplyReply

• Vimto

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 130
    « Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 13:52 »
    I'm really surprised that this isn't here already.  John Oliver's sobering report on College Sports and the NCAA.

:(
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 910
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012

Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1902
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 14:38 »
    Once again, March Madness has taken over the American airwaves. It's that time of year again, and the men's championship just unfolded last night.

Why all the hysteria?

This may not explain it, but it certainly does illustrate it.
    Kris Jenkins' epic shot gives Villanova a title and March Madness a new hero

This evening, the University of Connecticut Women's basketball team will be battling for their fourth consecutive national championship title. Being the home state team here, emotions are running high in most corners. What they have achieved in the previous four years is pretty much unprecedented in all of sport. In addition to having already won 10 national championships over a 20 year period—which included five undefeated seasons and a 90-game winning streak between 2008 and 2010—their current win-loss record for the past four years is a staggering 150-5. Yup, they win. A lot. And yet it's still a big deal every time they do.
  • ReplyReply

•