collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6197
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
Views presented are my own.
RIP Keith

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
  • Liked: 319
Re: Cyclo-cross as an Olympic event
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:40 »
Thanks Fus - that is an interesting read. 

It resonates with my limited experience too, as reasonable to good youth riders leave local clubs to pursue track opportunities, that are seen as the only way to join the GB Olympic development programme.  That might be the case now, but Helen's heartfelt entreaties would be amplified if Cyclocross can really get a spot on the Winter Olympic schedule - anyone have any recent news on whether that is at all viable in the next couple of Winter games?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 10:00 »
    Helen's heartfelt entreaties would be amplified if Cyclocross can really get a spot on the Winter Olympic schedule - anyone have any recent news on whether that is at all viable in the next couple of Winter games?
    No actual news, only hunches.
    But I think it's as likely as hell freezing over. ;)

Brits (and some other countries) just need to detach themselves from that Olympics-focused frame of mind. It's not the only thing that matters.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 10:20 »
    You are right - an undue focus on a 4 yearly event, that is unlikely to return to London for another 3 or 4 decades...  [and yes only London]

However it would be great to see a couple of hours of a 10 day winter olympic schedule given over to cyclocross, even if that was just to hear Sir Brad talking immediately post [a successful] Rio about there being "unfinished business down in Pyeongchang"   ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5349
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:10 »
    There could be some big Olympic shake-ups soon. There's a meeting in Monaco next week where they'll vote on various proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/30097117

The IOC has put together a list of 40 recommendations designed to improve future Games.

They range from increasing the number of sports, to allowing events to be held outside the host country or city.

Does that mean we could have the main Winter Olympics going on in Kazakhstan, but at the same time having the Olympic CX races going on in Belgium? or the track (if that switches from summer) in the UK? Would it still feel like the Olympics?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:50 by L'arri, Reason: separate topic »

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2030
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33 »
    Brits (and some other countries) just need to detach themselves from that Olympics-focused frame of mind. It's not the only thing that matters.
    Unfortunately, it is just about the only thing that matters to Sport England, the funding body.  So without taking the great gamble of going abroad with little or no support structure, only Olympic sports, or those with a professional domestic set up, are viable.  If the IOC had at some time booted out the UCI, then the GB track programme would have been no more than hobbyists with local shops contributing towards petrol expenses, and none of the resulting talent stream to road racing would have happened.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:51 by L'arri »

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:44 »
    I know that this is going slightly off (my own) thread subject but have you seen this strange Olympic brand extension:

http://www.baku2015.com/en/the-games

I am not sure that we need another 4 year cycle multi-sport event, albeit for those odd numbered years between Olympics, Winter Olympics, World Cups and Euro Footballs...

For an event that is a little over 6 months away I would say there is less than 1% awareness in GB

• ReplyReply

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5349
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:07 »
    Still OT, but hey ho.

There could be some big Olympic shake-ups soon. There's a meeting in Monaco next week where they'll vote on various proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/30097117

Does that mean we could have the main Winter Olympics going on in Kazakhstan, but at the same time having the Olympic CX races going on in Belgium? or the track (if that switches from summer) in the UK? Would it still feel like the Olympics?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/30374234

The plans, including allowing events to be held outside the host country or city, were approved unanimously.

So I guess this could pave the way for CX at the Winter Olympics.

I'm sure one of the other proposals was also to increase the number of different sports, but with less events in each discipline. However no news on that in the above report.

They've updated the story:

The dropping of a 28-sport limit will see the Games instead restricted to 10,500 athletes and 310 events

So the option is there for more sports, but some of the established sports would have to lose some events to fit them all in.

Post Merge: December 09, 2014, 08:47
    ..... but http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20141208_01419408

At the Extraordinary Meeting of the International Olympic Committee in Monte-Carlo was Monday decided the Winter Olympics exclusively to preserve for ice and snow sports.

So no CX for the time being.
  • ReplyReply

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:26 »

..... but http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20141208_01419408

So no CX for the time being.

The whole Olympic reform piece is fascinating, I think the drive for more sports with less depth in terms of events is potentially worrying (with more medals taken from the velodrome post Rio?).

I hope there is also a review of medal events in the Paralympic games as the depth of these can be incredibly shallow, often without any rounds before the 'final' somewhat cheapening the achievement of a medal versus able bodied events.

Back to this CX - 'inventing' a rule that the winter games are just snow and ice is frustrating - they are the Winter Olympics not the snow and ice follies.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:52 by L'arri »

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2030
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:55 »
    The discussion about Cyclo-cross as an Olympic event has been forked to a separate thread.

Could I suggest that this forking of content would have been more complete if all messages from Fus's link to Helen Wyman's open letter to your own of 2nd December (very much more about Olympic status than the race in Milton Keynes) were included in the shift.  Best sense in both threads would be maintained if the citation of Wyman's letter can be duplicated.

As it stands there are replies to messages that are in different threads, which is not an elegant solution to the problem (if indeed there was ever a problem)
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5652
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 13:37 »
    Could I suggest that this forking of content would have been more complete if all messages from Fus's link to Helen Wyman's open letter to your own of 2nd December (very much more about Olympic status than the race in Milton Keynes) were included in the shift.  Best sense in both threads would be maintained if the citation of Wyman's letter can be duplicated.

As it stands there are replies to messages that are in different threads, which is not an elegant solution to the problem (if indeed there was ever a problem)

Sorry, I didn't go far enough with the split-and-merge. Let me know if it's still not clear.  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]