collapse

Merckx Index

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 106
bike theft victim's revenge
« on: May 11, 2012, 15:21 »
Having been victimized several times myself, I love this story. Interesting that a thief would let someone take the bike for a test ride, usually the least trustworthy you are, the less trusting of others.

Man sees his stolen bike on Craigslist, steals it back

Danny Lesh admits he’s a vigilante. But on Bike to Work Day, he’s a hero to bikers everywhere.

The Washington, D.C., man told DCist and local TV stations his bike was stolen, then posted for sale on Craigslist. Lesh says he responded to the ad, took his own bike for a “test ride,” and drove off with it. A spoke for a spoke, so to speak.

Lesh said his Cannondale was locked up with a cable lock on a friend’s porch when it was stolen Sunday. The next day, it was for sale for $100 on Craigslist (he says he bought it for $600 in 1998). Lesh says he was able to ID the bike through a unique sticker.

He called the number on the ad and arranged a meeting. On the way over in a cab, he called the police, but they declined to send an officer to the meeting. So Lesh just handled it himself. He says a man walked out of an alley with the bike, they haggled over the price, Lesh took the bike for the test ride, threw it in the trunk of the cab, and left.

He’s since taken more action, posting Craigslist ads about other bikes being sold by a person with the same phone number. He links to ads that have all been taken down, meaning the thief has sold the bikes or been caught. Hopefully the latter.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/05/10/man-sees-his-stolen-bike-on-craigslist-steals-it-back/
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6803
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    Re: bike theft victim's revenge
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 15:45 »
    Having been victimized several times myself, I love this story. Interesting that a thief would let someone take the bike for a test ride, usually the least trustworthy you are, the less trusting of others.

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/05/10/man-sees-his-stolen-bike-on-craigslist-steals-it-back/

Justice! I love it when things like that happen.

A few months ago, some cretin in an outsized SUV failed to stop as I was walking across a pedestrian crossing near my home. He wasn't even looking. Inches from being knocked down, I was furious. I actually wished a crash on him, which normally I would not do.

Then, as I reached the safety of the far kerb, I turned just in time to see him crash (at low speed, admittedly) into the back of the last car in a line waiting at a junction.

Great to see you here, MI. Please stay around a bit longer this time.  ;D
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

ram

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 15:53 »
    Good man, could never recover my stolen bike. That most likely got sold in the black market somewhere. Mind, it wasn't a precious bike, just a cheap one, but still.
  • ReplyReply

• Merckx Index

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 106
    « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 16:12 »

Great to see you here, MI. Please stay around a bit longer this time.  ;D

Just trying to post enough so that they will at least let me see the doping forum.
  • ReplyReply

• benotti69

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 213
    « Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 16:53 »
    Just trying to post enough so that they will at least let me see the doping forum.

The doping forum is very chilled here  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6803
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 18:24 »
    The doping forum is very chilled here  ;)

As chilled as the proverbial bag of blood ;D

Though I confess we're seriously lacking technical medical expertise, which makes someone like MI essential.

Sorry for the grievous OT. :S
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11460
    • Awards: 2020 Tour de France CQ Game winner2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 18:28 »
    As chilled as the proverbial bag of blood ;D

Though I confess we're seriously lacking technical medical expertise, which makes someone like MI essential.

Sorry for the grievous OT. :S

Chilled but full of public info, just not the ins and outs of some stuff.

more facts, less personal the way I look at it
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:02 »
    Sounds a similar tale to a story of a woman and her stolen bike last year.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner